PDA

View Full Version : Rating the rookies

Hotdog60
12-09-2010, 10:57 PM
Over the past few months, development manager Chris Maple has taken a look at the Bulldogs' young guns and has provided an update on their progression this season. In this final instalment, he takes a look at the club's rookies, both current and elevated.

THE REST OF THE REPORT (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2010/news/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/102404/default.aspx)

Sockeye Salmon
13-09-2010, 12:54 AM
James Mulligan - Has been on the list for 3 years and is still playing VFL reserves. Will get another year on the list before getting delisted next year. Big and athletic but can't catch. PS. Not actually a rookie any more.

Why is Liam Picken on that list?

Jamason Daniels - doesn't have the class to be an AFL player, should delist this year.

Brodie Moles - elevate

Andrew Hooper - elevate

Matthew Panos - reminds me of Nick Sauntner of Sandy and will end up kicking a squillion goals in some bush league somewhere. Great kick and mark but moves like Jay Neagle. We will re-rookie him and tell him to work his (very large) bum off because if he doesn't build a tank to let him get further up the ground he can't play AFL.

Eddie Prato - will definately hang on to him for another year.

Patrick Rose - they really wanted him to be able to take his turn in the midfield but he can't. Will be delisted.

LostDoggy
13-09-2010, 08:57 AM
Patrick Rose - If he is playing well as a forward, why would you want to change him to a midfielder?

Go_Dogs
13-09-2010, 09:18 AM
Based on that report, Mulligan will be on the list next year, and Prato is unlikely to ever play AFL (and potentially Panos too) whilst other players who should be playing cannot get a game in the VFL side because of the 12-10 rule? Not really an overly positive report!

I think we've done pretty well again this year with our rookie selections.

stefoid
13-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Picken, Moles and Hooper elevated.

You would stick with Prato, Panos.

My reading between the lines and listening to people who have seen them play is that Rose, Mulligan and Daniels would be cut?

Sockeye Salmon
13-09-2010, 11:41 AM
Picken, Moles and Hooper elevated.

You would stick with Prato, Panos.

My reading between the lines and listening to people who have seen them play is that Rose, Mulligan and Daniels would be cut?

Mulligan is on the senior list rather than being a rookie. I don't think they will delist him after only elevating him last year. He should be delisted, of course, but I don't think he will be.

Cyberdoggie
13-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Patrick Rose - If he is playing well as a forward, why would you want to change him to a midfielder?

Ideally you want your players to be versatile in that they can play in the midfield and up forward, otherwise your midfielders have to do more work every game.

If he can't go in the middle then he need to be bloody good as a small forward.

I think he will be re-rookied. With the Williamstown connection then there will always be 1 player that will be funded by them, and that will be Rose once again. I can't see him being dumped in favour of someone else.

LostDoggy
13-09-2010, 12:35 PM
Patrick Rose - Tell the AFL 'Oops!' We meant to pick up the other Willy forward, Matthew Little. Straight swap? :rolleyes:

stefoid
13-09-2010, 01:04 PM
Ideally you want your players to be versatile in that they can play in the midfield and up forward, otherwise your midfielders have to do more work every game.

If he can't go in the middle then he need to be bloody good as a small forward.

I think he will be re-rookied. With the Williamstown connection then there will always be 1 player that will be funded by them, and that will be Rose once again. I can't see him being dumped in favour of someone else.

Not faulks?

Sockeye Salmon
13-09-2010, 01:15 PM
Not faulks?

I think I'd go with Lockwood

stefoid
13-09-2010, 04:34 PM
I wonder if they will give an offer to Aiden O'Shea and if he will accept?

EDIT: looks like no - if he isnt working on his fitness enough to play an amateur sport, he certainly isnt taking a spot on the doggies list seriously. Just a summer holiday for the lad then...

http://mikessportsfile.blogspot.com/2010/04/mayos-half-season-ratings.html

"14.Aiden O’Shea
Second season syndrome took a hold of O’Shea and it took a strong hold. Could not keep up with the pace of games and continued to try and go it alone whenever he has the ball, even if there is a team mate in a better scoring position. Needs to become more of a team player and work on his fitness if 2010 is not to be a wasted season for the young DIT student. 3/10"

1eyedog
13-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Mulligan is on the senior list rather than being a rookie. I don't think they will delist him after only elevating him last year. He should be delisted, of course, but I don't think he will be.

Barry Hall rates him highly. When questioned about who would be the next big thing at the club in a footy record interview last year Barry said Mulligan.