PDA

View Full Version : The Danger Man - Must be Stopped

bornadog
13-09-2010, 12:10 AM
Forget your Goddards, Riewoldts and Milnes the danger man for me is Lenny Hayes. We have not been able to stop him and he kills us everytime. He is instrumental to the Saints and without him the Riewoldts don't get an opportunity.

Who should go head to head with Hayes? In the past I am pretty sure Cross has been tried as had Boyd, but I would rather look at some one different.... Picken? or maybe even Addison.

Bulldog Joe
13-09-2010, 12:28 AM
Hayes will get plenty of it regardless. That is the way he plays. I would have Boyd head to head as he is the player most likely to keep going, as Hayes does late into games.

I disagree on your premise, as I believe the man to stop is Goddard. The turn around by Geelong occurred when Ling went to Goddard to curb his influence.

Addison is the man I would assign as he can play as a defensive forward OR as a pure defender if Goddard goes forward. Dylan can also go into the midfield if Goddard is sent there by Lyon.

boydogs
13-09-2010, 02:37 AM
The way to stop Hayes is by beating him to the ball. He is not an outside player who you can reduce the effectiveness of by tagging. Match up Cross against him and back Daniel in to win the contested ball and get it going our way

Topdog
13-09-2010, 10:09 AM
I was actually going to write something like this in the Stop the Saints thread. Can't believe he wasn't mentioned.

SlimPickens
13-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Lenny Hayes(with a little help from Roo) carried the saints in last years prelim...I totally agree he needs plenty of attention.

If Boyd could some how reclaim the negating side to his game, I would set him the task. Otherwise Picken to Hayes.

bornadog
13-09-2010, 12:13 PM
The midfield battle is going to be crucial. Hayes, Dal Santo, Montaga, Ray, even Peake who put in a good performance against Geelong.

Mantis
13-09-2010, 12:16 PM
The midfield battle is going to be crucial. Hayes, Del Santo, Montaga, Ray, even Peake who put in a good performance against Geelong.

You missed Jones who will go to Griffen and make his life extremely difficult. Jones is also an under-rated ball winner at the clearances and he was super important against us in last years PF.

The ruck battle will also be huge, we need to get 1st hands on the ball.

But, yep Hayes is the key to their midfield..

bornadog
13-09-2010, 12:28 PM
You missed Jones who will go to Griffen and make his life extremely difficult. Jones is also an under-rated ball winner at the clearances and he was super important against us in last years PF.

The ruck battle will also be huge, we need to get 1st hands on the ball.
But, yep Hayes is the key to their midfield..

Agree about Jones.

We are still number one for Clearances and 1st Posession so Hudson and Minson must be at their best.

Mantis
13-09-2010, 12:30 PM
We are still number one for Clearances and 1st Posession so Hudson and Minson must be at their best.

Hudson & Minson lowered their colours in this game last year. They both need big ones.

always right
13-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Picken to Hayes with instructions to drive him mad. Ward to go wherever Goddard goes....we an't afford to let him set up the play with his field kicking.

Wood to Milne. Gilbee to Gilbert. Boyd to Dal Santo. Murphy to Schneider with a view to him moving forward once the game settles.

always right
13-09-2010, 12:32 PM
Hudson & Minson lowered their colours in this game last year. They both need big ones.

Hudson is critical at the clearances. We can't let them get the ball out cleanly or the St Kilda forwards will have a picnic.

chef
13-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Picken to Hayes with instructions to drive him mad. Ward to go wherever Goddard goes....we an't afford to let him set up the play with his field kicking.

Wood to Milne. Gilbee to Gilbert. Boyd to Dal Santo. Murphy to Schneider with a view to him moving forward once the game settles.

I would have Hargrave on Milne, Wood on Schneider and Murphy to CHF. I can't see us winning with Bob in the back line. Please Rocket, don't put Boyd head to head with Hayes.

always right
13-09-2010, 12:43 PM
I would have Hargrave on Milne, Wood on Schneider and Murphy to CHF. I can't see us winning with Bob in the back line. Please Rocket, don't put Boyd head to head with Haynes.

Agree with your thoughts on Shaggy and Wood. As for Murphy, I'd just like to see the game settle down a little. In the frantic early stages of the game Murphy is a calming influence in defnece. We can't let them get a jump on us or it will be allover by quarter time. Shift him forward 15 minutes into the game.

SlimPickens
13-09-2010, 12:59 PM
I would have Hargrave on Milne, Wood on Schneider and Murphy to CHF. I can't see us winning with Bob in the back line. Please Rocket, don't put Boyd head to head with Haynes.

Absolutely agree, Bob must play forward if we are to win.

Ghost Dog
13-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Hayes will get plenty of it regardless. That is the way he plays. I would have Boyd head to head as he is the player most likely to keep going, as Hayes does late into games.

I disagree on your premise, as I believe the man to stop is Goddard. The turn around by Geelong occurred when Ling went to Goddard to curb his influence.

Addison is the man I would assign as he can play as a defensive forward OR as a pure defender if Goddard goes forward. Dylan can also go into the midfield if Goddard is sent there by Lyon.

Dylan was great V Sydney wasn't he? I reckon he can do ok against Goddard.

1eyedog
13-09-2010, 04:13 PM
Dylan was great V Sydney wasn't he? I reckon he can do ok against Goddard.

Do you think he will struggle in the air? Will shaggy go to him if he goes forward?

Sockeye Salmon
13-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Do you think he will struggle in the air? Will shaggy go to him if he goes forward?

If Goddard jumps on his head so be it. I'm more interested in Addison dragging Goddard away from where he can be 3rd man up and stopping him burning us on the rebound. If Goddard doesn't respect Addison and zones off to help Dawson on Hall then Addison has to be used.

Nuggety Back Pocket
13-09-2010, 05:51 PM

St Kilda have in fact five play makers in Hayes, Goddard, Riewolt, Dal Santo and Montagna that need to be kept in check. This is the task of Rodney and the MC to make sure we have the right match ups. Hayes in the heat of the battle is perhaps the most effective and invariably plays well against us. Either Cross or Boyd would seem to be Hayes's logical opponent.