PDA

View Full Version : Harbrow compensation

stefoid
14-09-2010, 12:01 PM
I think the rule is that compensatory picks before the end of the first round cant be used until 2012. Currently the last pick of round 1 is pick 25. But if this draft is supposedly a deep draft (think 08 draft where we got Roughead and Jones with picks 31 and 32), then maybe thats a good deal?

2012 onwards could be crappy shallow drafts, you dont know, and there is a chance we will be picking up Lach Hunter in 2012 anyways.

I wonder how many other clubs might be thinking the same thing - take your pick at pick 26/27/28 whatever it turns out to be?

The other thing is that the pick is tradeable. We might be able to upgrade a pick 26/27 + a player for a true first round pick in the high teens. Lets say Everitt + our harbrow compensation pick for Carltons pick 18, which we get to use this year?

would you do that in a deep draft?

chef
14-09-2010, 12:19 PM
I think the rule is that compensatory picks before the end of the first round cant be used until 2012. Currently the last pick of round 1 is pick 25. But if this draft is supposedly a deep draft (think 08 draft where we got Roughead and Jones with picks 31 and 32), then maybe thats a good deal?

2012 onwards could be crappy shallow drafts, you dont know, and there is a chance we will be picking up Lach Hunter in 2012 anyways.

I wonder how many other clubs might be thinking the same thing - take your pick at pick 26/27/28 whatever it turns out to be?

The other thing is that the pick is tradeable. We might be able to upgrade a pick 26/27 + a player for a true first round pick in the high teens. Lets say Everitt + our harbrow compensation pick for Carltons pick 18, which we get to use this year?

I was under the impression we had 5 years to use this pick and had to nominate when we would use it at the start of that year(but it can be used this year, at least that's what Fantasia said). IMO we will end up with a pick at the end of the first round for Harbrow.

If we were going to trade(I would rather hold it for a couple of seasons and use it in 2013 as we are going to have quite a few retirements over to next 5 years) it I would love to bundle it with Minson and offer this to the Crows for Knights(if he wants to come home).

Sockeye Salmon
14-09-2010, 12:25 PM

There is no way I would be trading Everitt for a 8-10 pick upgrade at that point. I would be expecting pick 18 for Everitt straight up (I might concede and throw in pick 60 or Stephen Tiller if they are feeling upset).

chef
14-09-2010, 12:27 PM
There is no way I would be trading Everitt for a 8-10 pick upgrade at that point. I would be expecting pick 18 for Everitt straight up (I might concede and throw in pick 60 or Stephen Tiller if they are feeling upset).

Do you think he's worth that?

stefoid
14-09-2010, 12:33 PM
Only picks after the end of the the first round can be used in 2011/2012, so as not to upset the new clubs massive list of picks.

It is precisely because we are going to have a lot of retirements over the next 3 or 4 years that you would want to bring in as many quality youngsters now - so they will be ready to play in 3 or 4 years.

The question is, is pick 26/27 in a deep draft this year worth more than a pick in the 14-18 range in an unknown quality draft in two years time?

and if we ARE trading, that brings up the possibility of upgrading our compensation first round pick to another clubs genuine first round pick.

No club likes to think about being on the bottom of the ladder in 2 years time, but if you were port, richmond or westcoast, you might want to take harbrows pick off our hands on the basis that it would morph into a top 10 pick for your side in 2012?

i.e. Port has pick 16 in this draft. We trade Hill or everitt + our harbrow pick to them for their pick 16. they get a young player ready to play right now, and a probable top 10 pick in 2012.

Sockeye Salmon
14-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Do you think he's worth that?

Absolutely.

If Essendon weren't going to trade Lovett last year we would have got 16 for Everitt from them and in a draft where a dozen kids have already been pulled out of the pool, I can't see how Everitt would be worth any less this year. His performances when he had the chance were for the most part pretty good and I would suspect we would have a few clubs interested.

My only question would be that because draft picks are a bit more scarce this year, how keen will clubs be to hand one over?

There's a lot of players rumoured to be interested in witching clubs this year but it will be hard to get trades done. If the AFL had spread out GC picks a bit more rather than giving them 9 x 1st rounders and nothing else, it would have made it a lot easier to get some trades done.

stefoid
14-09-2010, 12:50 PM

Sure if there was some kind of insane bidding war for everitt that produced pick 18 for us, go for it. I think thats doubtful.

I was just trying to consider the angles of trading a pick that had variable value depending on who was holding it.

We could even try to trade with the Suns - Everitt was claytons boy, right? Send Everitt to the suns with Harbrow's pick in exchange for the Suns pick...9 or 11. In all probability the suns would be mid-table in two years time so they get more value from Harbrows pick than we ever would. WIN/WIN.

Sockeye Salmon
14-09-2010, 12:56 PM
Sure if there was some kind of insane bidding war for everitt that produced pick 18 for us, go for it. I think thats doubtful.

I was just trying to consider the angles of trading a pick that had variable value depending on who was holding it.

We could even try to trade with the Suns - Everitt was claytons boy, right? Send Everitt to the suns with Harbrow's pick in exchange for the Suns pick...9 or 11. In all probability the suns would be mid-table in two years time so they get more value from Harbrows pick than we ever would. WIN/WIN.

That actually makes a bit of sense. I'm sure there's a few players that the Suns would like to trade for who clearly aren't worth a top 10 pick but they might look at for a late 20's pick. The Suns could end up with two still young but with mature bodied players for one mid-high pick.

Dry Rot
14-09-2010, 01:46 PM
Seems to be 2 assumptions in this thread?

1. This year's draft is deep

2. We'll get a first round compensation for Harbrow

Sockeye Salmon
14-09-2010, 02:54 PM
Seems to be 2 assumptions in this thread?

1. This year's draft is deep

2. We'll get a first round compensation for Harbrow

It is absolutely inconceivable that we wouldn't.

Mantis
14-09-2010, 02:57 PM

There was talk a while back that we might even get 2... Do you think that's a realistic possibility?

Sockeye Salmon
14-09-2010, 03:03 PM
There was talk a while back that we might even get 2... Do you think that's a realistic possibility?

Not really.

We should, but we won't. Krakouer is the same age but only half as well performed and brought Port, what, end of 1st round?

Desipura
14-09-2010, 03:04 PM
Not really.

We should, but we won't. Krakouer is the same age but only half as well performed and brought Port, what, end of 1st round?
End of 2nd round I believe.

Mantis
14-09-2010, 03:07 PM
Not really.

Both Bock & Krakouer* were classified in category C (or 3 - not sure is they are using letters or numbers??) meaning that they got a pick at the end of rd 1 as compenastion. (

I would classify Harbrow as being a better long term prospect (am I just being biased?)than these 2 so I would think he would be classed at least in the B group, but I'm not sure how the compensation differs.

* Krakouer was D... It might have been Rischitelli that was C.

chef
14-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Not really.

Power got a 2nd round pick to be used directly after their normal 2nd round pick(4th Band).

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/101814/default.aspx

Dry Rot
14-09-2010, 08:56 PM

Band 2 or 3 (like Bock)?

The Bulldogs Bite
14-09-2010, 09:11 PM
Definitely think Harbrow is worth two first round picks, but like Sockeye said, it won't happen.

Harbrow not gaining an AA probably has hurt us a little. It would have been a great time for him to get one.

Dancin' Douggy
14-09-2010, 11:34 PM
Oh **** me blind it's just gonna hurt so bad seeing Harbrow go.
I can't even talk about compensation.
It stings and burns and aches.

He is so ****ing good and he's just going to get better.
Quinlan, Dempsey, Harbrow..............**** the ****ing Gold Coast.

Just another team to to loathe.

All the other players they have sucked out of the veins of existing teams have won flags in recent memory. I just can't take it to lose such a great talent we nurtured from the rookie list when we're still on the verge of possible glory.

The only compensation I will accept is Libba's goal being paid in the '97 prelim' and we have a crack at the '97 saints again.

I'm a grown man in a cot .........

AndrewP6
14-09-2010, 11:41 PM

Agree completely...

stefoid
15-09-2010, 12:17 AM
EDIT: actually just found out the rules dont swing that way.

The pick is tied to the original teams ladder position even if it is traded.

So assuming harbrow gets a tier 2 1st round style of pick, we announce at the start of the 2012 season that the pick is 'live', then after the season is over the picks position is resolved and then it can be traded.
makes sense I suppose. sucks though.

MrMahatma
15-09-2010, 12:24 AM
Haven't GC and GWS already taken 17year olds out over the past 2 yrs? So pick 25 is more like 40 something?

Is the draft THAT deep?

Sockeye Salmon
15-09-2010, 12:45 AM
Haven't GC and GWS already taken 17year olds out over the past 2 yrs? So pick 25 is more like 40 something?

Is the draft THAT deep?

GC have taken 12 picks (11 really considering the kid who chose to play cricket instead, Alex Keath?)

The 17yos they could pick from had to be born between January-April '92 so they haven't taken the best 11 kids overall, they've taken the best 11 kids in that window. If it was to all work out even, it would be like taking 11 of the best 33.

They still got a few that were pretty highly rated - Toy, Weller, Matera.

They also got some zone selections from Qld and NT which gave them a ruckman, Zac Smith and a forward from NT, Steven May. the other NT boys were overlooked last year.

BornInDroopSt'54
15-09-2010, 10:54 AM

He is so ****ing good and he's just going to get better.
Quinlan, Dempsey, Harbrow..............**** the ****ing Gold Coast.

Just another team to to loathe.

All the other players they have sucked out of the veins of existing teams have won flags in recent memory. I just can't take it to lose such a great talent we nurtured from the rookie list when we're still on the verge of possible glory.

The only compensation I will accept is Libba's goal being paid in the '97 prelim' and we have a crack at the '97 saints again.

I'm a grown man in a cot .........
Thankyou for expressing our collective pain so well.

stefoid
15-09-2010, 11:09 AM
Who comes out of contract next year? Everitt does, we all know that. GWS will be sniffing around.

ledge
15-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Over the last year or two teams are picking up players who are ready to play seniors straight away. 21 to 27 year olds .
Is this a future trend , why pick up an 18 year old who will take 2 years to develop at least and could move clubs after those 2 years meaning you bring up a player and prepare him for another club, also meaning 2 years wages meant nothing.
Are thoughts of clubs changing as to well we get a 21 year old and at least he has some sort of chance of gettng a game in his first year and repaying some of his wage.
Do we look at mature age recruits for now with Harbrows compensation or do we go youngsters?