PDA

View Full Version : Ben Mckinley

Grantysghost
14-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Wants to come back to Melbourne, my memory of him is that he is good lead up forward and decent kick.
Should we consider him and what would he cost? What do the gurus of woof think?

Desipura
14-09-2010, 02:03 PM
Wants to come back to Melbourne, my memory of him is that he is good lead up forward and decent kick.
Im no guru, but I will give it a go. Does not warrant a new thread does Ben.
I would rather Hill and definately would not want both.

Grantysghost
14-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Ok not sure about thread worthiness however footy wise i think he is worth considering.

89 goals for 40 odd games inc 42 in 2008 when he was a rising star nominee.

Granted he aint tall and had a bad 2010. He may be one of those in between types eg Tyson Lame.

Nuggety Back Pocket
14-09-2010, 02:57 PM

The Bulldogs have already spoken to his management as has North Melbourne. Given our lack lustre attack this year apart from Barry Hall, well worth consideration.Jones and Grant will be good value but a stronger bodied goalkicker wouldn't go astray.

chef
14-09-2010, 03:00 PM
He would need to strengthen the defensive side to his game, but if Hill wanted to go back to WA a straight swap for Ben or Rosa would be alright IMO. But I would prefer Hill to stay.

LostDoggy
14-09-2010, 03:17 PM
I agree with chef above.

Would rather have Hill stay at the club, but i wouldn't mind a swap deal.

Grantysghost
14-09-2010, 03:30 PM
Wouldn't want to swap Hill for him, maybe a high draft pick....

http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/afl-news/mckinley-to-leave-eagles-rookie-to-remain-20100914-15a4u.html

Desipura
14-09-2010, 03:34 PM
Ok not sure about thread worthiness however footy wise i think he is worth considering.

89 goals for 40 odd games inc 42 in 2008 when he was a rising star nominee.

Granted he aint tall and had a bad 2010. He may be one of those in between types eg Tyson Lame.
Sorry, I was referring to his ability being worthy of a single thread. (more tongue in cheek comment)

G-Mo77
14-09-2010, 03:37 PM
Do we really need someone like him though?

West Coast supporters say he's a good forward with little or no defensive ability. I'd rather keep Hill than exchange the two players.

Desipura
14-09-2010, 03:37 PM

West Coast supporters say he's a good forward with little or no defensive ability. I'd rather keep Hill than exchange the two players.

They are my exact same sentiments.

LostDoggy
14-09-2010, 03:44 PM
Would thrive in a team that has good midfield delivery, he has smarts about when, where to lead. Worthy of a look.

Mofra
14-09-2010, 03:47 PM
He would need to strengthen the defensive side to his game
That's the rub - he can be lax in this area.
It may be easier to fix his poor defensive side than it is to add intensity to Hill's game though.

LostDoggy
14-09-2010, 03:50 PM
I think we would all like to keep Hill, but what can you do is he wants to leave?

If a deal can be done, i don't think the club would hold Hill, especially if his heart wasn't in it here.

FrediKanoute
14-09-2010, 04:15 PM

But if the coash has question marks about Hill's intensity maybe a change is good for both Hill and us. If McKinley (and I haven't sen him play) is any good or just as good as Hill maybe a change in environment will do them both good.

Forward line defensive pressure is good, but if someone kicks 50 or 60 goals a year I'd cut them some slack.

Sedat
14-09-2010, 04:18 PM
We need the exact opposite of McKinley in our forward line. He is slow, not overy tall and provides no defensive pressure in the forward 50. I would personally avoid at all costs.

Grantysghost
14-09-2010, 04:30 PM
We need the exact opposite of McKinley in our forward line. He is slow, not overy tall and provides no defensive pressure in the forward 50. I would personally avoid at all costs.

Hmm he sounds dodgy then if thats the case. Dont wont slow blokes the way the game is played these days...

Scorlibo
We have Ben McKinley on the rookie list, his name's Matthew Panos. Same sort of players, lead, mark, kick goal, one dimensional. Don't need him.

The Bulldogs Bite

This.

In the right side, McKinley might be OK but his game doesn't suit the modern trend. His kicking went a little wayward since '08 too.

Much prefer the Knights/A. Davey types.

Greystache
14-09-2010, 04:41 PM

Agreed, he's very much what Higgins was this year. The last thing we need is another "mid-sized" forward, meaning someone who takes marks on the lead, can't crumb, can't take a pack mark, and isn't quick enough to put on defensive pressure. We have a heap of these.

Sedat
14-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Forgot to mention he is poor aerobically as well.

Remi Moses
14-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Poor defensive side and always looks stuffed!
No thanks

westbulldog
14-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Would not persue him. Hasn't impressed at Westcoast.

The Coon Dog
14-09-2010, 05:44 PM
This really should be in the AFL Talk Forum.

LostDoggy
16-09-2010, 07:59 PM
4 Weeks before the Draft that year I wrote one players name on the Whiteboard at work that I wanted us to draft Ben Mckinley. Was quite annoyed we took Addison instead (still am). He was touted as an early teens pick.

He kicked 71 goals that year including 12 in the Finals. Was named at FF in the TAC side that year. (Higgins was on the bench and Selwood on a flank).

He has really bulked up and only needs a decent midfield so would absolutely go for him.

LostDoggy
27-09-2010, 08:20 PM
I think he could turn out to be a good lead up forward pocket, however more suited to a team like carlton as we already have Grant, Jones and Hall.