PDA

View Full Version : Who would you rather play in the GF and why?

boydogs
16-09-2010, 02:00 AM
Geelong have the experience of playing in the last 3 Grand Finals, but Collingwood have had the better season. Both have taken us apart easily in recent times, but Collingwood have played and beaten us twice, and most recently in week 1 of the finals. Geelong have not had the week off like Collingwood had, which is the deciding factor for me - bring on the Cats

Scraggers
16-09-2010, 02:57 AM
To be the best, you have to beat the best.
Over the last four years, Geelong have been the top of the pops ... It would be very satisfying to beat them to win our 2nd premiership.

The Coon Dog
16-09-2010, 08:53 AM
Collingwood absolutely terrify me!

Mantis
16-09-2010, 09:10 AM
Collingwood absolutely terrify me!

And Geelong wouldn't?

They absolutely mauled us just 4 or 5 weeks back and would hold a huge mental advantage over us.

G-Mo77
16-09-2010, 09:22 AM
Don't care. Both teams are going to be very hard to beat either way.

It would be easier to take losing to Geelong so I guess them. I'd feel like leaving the country having to watch Collingwood win a flag especially against my own team.

The Coon Dog
16-09-2010, 09:30 AM
And Geelong wouldn't?

They absolutely mauled us just 4 or 5 weeks back and would hold a huge mental advantage over us.

Silly as it sounds, no. Collingwood have beaten us 3 times this season already. I just hope Geelong beat Collingwood tomorrow night, be unbearable with the Magpie Army on the march!

Desipura
16-09-2010, 09:33 AM
Could not give a flying f%$#

bornadog
16-09-2010, 10:17 AM
I hate Collingwood and their feral supporters, they have been in enough Grand finals. Give other teams a chance

LostDoggy
16-09-2010, 10:18 AM
I think I could deal with a Geelong crowd better than a Collingwood crowd on the day. :D

LostDoggy
16-09-2010, 10:23 AM
I'm the only one who voted Collingwood...

I'd rather play them, beat them, and shut all those Collingwood supporters up for the next 365 days

LostDoggy
16-09-2010, 10:29 AM
I've voted Geelong, but only because if we played Collingwood and lost we'd have supporters of the other 14 teams angry at us for letting Collingwood have another flag.

1eyedog
16-09-2010, 10:31 AM
Would rather Collingwood lose tomorrow night and play Geelong. With all the build up it just might be Geelong's Grand Final (but also probably ours against the Saints on Sat night).

That said, I think we match up better against the Cats and while they smashed us at the Dome I think Finals at the G are a different kettle of fish. I think Geelong is really the only team who can topple the Pies, but I also think that both the Dogs and the Saints can beat the Cats.

Take the Telstra Dome game against Geelong as a lesson of just how good Geelong are at that venue. Like TCD, Collingwood terrify me, Geelong less so.

Curly5
16-09-2010, 10:49 AM
I voted Geelong as I think they might be more vulnerable in the GF. I also think they are the only ones capable of doing civilisation the favour of keeping out Collingwood. A magpie flag doesn't bear thinking about, especially, as others have said, if we are playing them.

Grantysghost
16-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Cats.
Pies are the best side this year, and if they get over Geelong they will win it (spew).
Geelong would be tough but would have played three tough finals so may be more vulnerable. Its line ball though.

The Pie Man
16-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Purely for emotional reasons, Geelong.

If we were to get through, playing another full 4 week team might even it out somewhat - though the real reason is just keeping Collingwood out of the GF.

LostDoggy
16-09-2010, 11:16 AM
I would hate for us to be responsible to handing the Pies a flag...that's just not a risk I'd like to take, considering they've already beaten us 3 times this year.

I think we're a much better chance of beating the Cats (if we happen to win this week).

Cyberdoggie
16-09-2010, 11:54 AM
I like to believe in the theory that Geelong's run is coming to an end.

Brisbane made it to 4 in a row, winning the first 3 before being surprised by Port Adelaide, then it all collapsed.

Geelong have been in the last 3 and probably should of won all 3 but the Hawks jumped them once.

If we come up against them perhaps we may do a Port!

The pies. I think we are the sort of team they would love to play in a GF. Losing to them 3 times already this year has shown that they are getting better at playing us.

I'm willing to discount the mauling of round 20, and the dissapointment of round 21. I don't think we wanted to hurt ourselves for those games and the players went into self-preservation mode. There's plenty more to play for now, and we should be a different side.

Doc26
16-09-2010, 11:59 AM
I'll preface this by saying either way is a daunting proposition. Assuming we do get back the contested side of our game, big IF, and aside from the smacking in Round 20 from the Cats, I believe we match up slightly better against the Geelong outfit than against Collingwood's. Geelong do give you an opportunity IF you play close contested football and although Geelong's half back line is no slouch, Collingwood have totally dominated us across this line with our poor forward defensive pressure. Collingwood's defensive accountability and pressure for mine surpasses the Cats and they can then hurt you quickly the other way. I see an opportunity if we are on our game against the Cats whilst against Collingwood we have a fair way to go to match them up defensively.

LostDoggy
16-09-2010, 12:03 PM
I picked Geelong.

I dont care who we play, its our time we will beat either.

I picked Geelong because I want to see the pies fail sooner rather than later.

Dancin' Douggy
16-09-2010, 12:03 PM
Cats.
It means Collingwood have lost the Prelim. That in itself would be great to see.

I'd rather beat Collingwood in a GF.
But if we got in and then lost, I'd rather lose a GF to Geelong.

Then there's the crowd............

LostDoggy
16-09-2010, 04:14 PM
I said Geelong because I hope to hell they beat Collingwood this week.
Need to be careful how much I hope Geelong beat Collingwood, as I don't want it interfere with by biggest hope that we beat St.Kilda. So in real terms I don't give a stuff who we play as long as WE PLAY !

Sedat
16-09-2010, 04:22 PM
Both Geelong and Collingwood more than comfortably have our measure this season so there's no advantage on the field whichever team we play. With that in mind, it would be a sight to behold to see the filth suffer a loss tomorrow night. The 1990 GF celebrations are still fresh in my memory - they are just an uncultured, feral rabble.

Instead of promising to "stop the boats", perhaps if Tony Abbott promised to fill the boats with filth supporters before sending them on their way, he might have won the election.

ratsmac
16-09-2010, 05:04 PM
I voted Geelong because I hate Collingwood so so much. Although wouldn't it be great to beat Collingwood in a grand final

Bumper Bulldogs
16-09-2010, 08:29 PM
I picked the Cats as I cant stand the Collingwood supporters, I would have to put up with their crap until next September.

I would rather stick needles in my eyes!

The other part is I would like the Cats to lose to us and then they lose Gazza to Gold Coast.... Poetry :D

Murphy'sLore
16-09-2010, 08:52 PM
I remember picking my way through the streets of Collingwood the morning after the 1990 GF, it was like a war zone. Unbelievable.

(This was before I knew anything about football, I wouldn't be crazy enough to venture there under such circumstances now!)

The Pie Man
16-09-2010, 11:07 PM
Both Geelong and Collingwood more than comfortably have our measure this season so there's no advantage on the field whichever team we play. With that in mind, it would be a sight to behold to see the filth suffer a loss tomorrow night. The 1990 GF celebrations are still fresh in my memory - they are just an uncultured, feral rabble.

Instead of promising to "stop the boats", perhaps if Tony Abbott promised to fill the boats with filth supporters before sending them on their way, he might have won the election.

Just gold :D
Pure gold

AndrewP6
17-09-2010, 12:00 AM
I voted Geelong, purely for the fact that my mate at work is a feral Pie fan... and I'd have to consider quitting if we lost to them AGAIN...

LostDoggy
17-09-2010, 12:45 AM
dont care...............as long as we're in it!! I want the parade, i want to wake up on grand final morning and have that unknown feeling of excitement!

if we lost to the wobbles, i'd have to quit work!! if we lost to cats i'd have to quit half my family!

So i guess we'll just have to beat whoever shows up, no other option!! :D

boydogs
17-09-2010, 01:12 AM
Wow, didn't expect such a biased result.

The Cats have been in the last 3 GF's and won two of them, the Pies haven't been there for 7 years now. The Cats have been one of the best teams in history, with such a dominant win/loss record in an even competition.

I would be picking Collingwood if not for the week off scenario. I think St Kilda's low scoring, defensive style will actually hurt them in taking advantage of the week off, but the Pies would kill us with their run

LostDoggy
17-09-2010, 10:22 PM
Um... I now hope the pies win by a lot so they have a false sense of security????

LostDoggy
17-09-2010, 10:25 PM
Um... I now hope the pies win by a lot so they have a false sense of security????

....yes....

Mantis
17-09-2010, 10:26 PM
I would rather play Geelong... Collingwood scare me.

LostDoggy
17-09-2010, 10:34 PM

You're looking good for the "a lot".

mighty_west
17-09-2010, 11:58 PM
Collingwood played their GF tonight, bring them on!

LostDoggy
18-09-2010, 12:08 AM
Looks like the Wobbles will start next week.......:S