PDA

View Full Version : The Dream

Jasper
17-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Long time reader, first time thread starter.

I shared a conversation with my 76 year old Dad last night which I'm sure is worthy of sharing with the WOOF faithful.

This man took me to my first final in 1976 at Waverley where we got pipped by the Cats by less than a goal, and started a long run of fruitless September visits for the Club.

Three years ago we started going to games again with his older brother, buying a reserved seat together at the Dome. He shouted, I think as a gesture of thanks because he's at the age he can't really go by himself.

Over that time the team has obviously progressed to a level where we could genuinely contend for a premiership, which back in March felt like it was closer than ever.

Then came Round 20 against the Cats. With the flu running rampant thru the Kennel, we got smashed by 100 points. He looked at me after the game, his spirit crushed, and tells me he doesn't think he wants to go to the finals this year. He is suffering from Parkinsons Disease, which makes him fairly fragile.

Then last week, the miracle win after trailing by 5 goals in the first half. Something obviously stirs in him again.

Last night he tells me he had a dream.

We play Collingwood in the Grand Final.

We win.

The Dogs are doing a lap of honour with the Premiership Cup after the game.

He moves down to the fence where Johnno holds the Cup over to him.

He grabs one handle and calls his brother over, who grabs the other handle.

They are euphoric.

The next days Herald-Sun has the two old boys on the front page holding up the Cup.

As he's telling me this, tears are streaming down his face.........

It is just a dream. An incredibly vivid one.

Let's just hope the boys representing our Red, White and Blue know how much this means to some people and leave it all on the field.

GO DOGS!!

Twodogs
17-09-2010, 11:47 AM
He is suffering from Parkinsons Disease, which makes him fairly fragile.

I know how you feel mate. My mum has been to death's door and back a couple times in the last week, but I know exactly what she will be watching on TV in her ward tomorrow night.

Go Dogs!!!

LostDoggy
17-09-2010, 11:49 AM
Thats beautiful and moving mate. I hope the dream comes true, we are two games away and that is all.

This is what being a bulldog suporter is all about and Brad Johnson is all of this.

EasternWest
17-09-2010, 12:14 PM

GO DOGS!!

What a way to open your account. Hope it comes true, for all involved and all of us!

jazzadogs
17-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Very moving, I hope your Dad enjoys the next two weeks.

bornadog
17-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Great first thread. There are so many people in the west that have had a similar dream for such a long time. I have a feeling we will make this grand final and then anything can happen.

LostDoggy
17-09-2010, 03:26 PM
Great story. Made me cry just a little. :o

LostDoggy
17-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Beautiful story Captain, thanks for sharing it.

LostDoggy
17-09-2010, 03:49 PM
Incredibly touching mate.
Hopefully the dream becomes a reality for all of us!

LostDoggy
17-09-2010, 04:02 PM
Agree whole heartedly...
My Partner works at the races and she put together a a litty ditty from tomorrows formguide, I was impressed...

" theres no doubtful Jacks here, La rocket will salute. The dogs are seriously good. The GF is rightfully ours, the prelim will not be kidnapped, we're at the pinnacle of our ability. I have absolute faith and in the echoes of heaven and our heart of dreams wer're gonna rock then party hard!!!! Go Bulldogs!!! Woof!!!!"

All horses running tomorrow at Caulfield

BornInDroopSt'54
17-09-2010, 05:11 PM
Hi Captain, I'm amazed at the several premonitory dreams I've heard of and the one I've had. All have been very emotional. Hopefully your dad's is premonitory too, and that's Brad Johnson holding the cup, not St Peter.

bornadog
17-09-2010, 05:14 PM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/barry1.jpg

1eyedog
17-09-2010, 05:42 PM

How f^^^^^ good does that look!

LostDoggy
17-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Thanks for that touching post - I just hope that it works out that way.

My Mum passed away last week, and she was a bulldog through and through - born over the road from the ground, etc. I think she had something to do with our win last week, and I'm hoping like anything that she can muster the Gods (insert whatever you believe here) up there for another win tomorrow night! Obviously, it has been a very emotional time for me and I haven't been able to get to the games. May her spirit live on at the MCG tomorrow night and then next week in the GF - Go Dogs!

Curly5
17-09-2010, 06:15 PM

My Mum passed away last week, and she was a bulldog through and through - born over the road from the ground, etc. I think she had something to do with our win last week, and I'm hoping like anything that she can muster the Gods (insert whatever you believe here) up there for another win tomorrow night! Obviously, it has been a very emotional time for me and I haven't been able to get to the games. May her spirit live on at the MCG tomorrow night and then next week in the GF - Go Dogs!

Sympathy to you, Magic Griffen, I know what you're going through. Many a Bulldogs supporter has passed away without seeing a flag, doesn't seem fair, does it? A win would be for ALL Doggie fans, past and present.

LostDoggy
17-09-2010, 06:29 PM
Sympathy to you, Magic Griffen, I know what you're going through. Many a Bulldogs supporter has passed away without seeing a flag, doesn't seem fair, does it? A win would be for ALL Doggie fans, past and present.

Thanks Curly5 - I appreciate your thoughts. Actually Mum was in her 80's, so she did get to see and enjoy '54 - it's just that I wasn't born then. So, I'm hoping I get to see a flag and soon. Of course, a win is for us all - those that have been around a long time, and those younger supporters too! We are all barracking for the same thing, aren't we?

DOG GOD
17-09-2010, 07:13 PM
Thanks for sharing that great story. Fingers crossed ur dad, u and all of us get to feel the euphoria of a grand final win.

EasternWest
17-09-2010, 07:17 PM

The last game my Mum got to see was when Kolyniuk ran around the man on the mark (against Collingwood I think) to win the game. Mum was so excited that she jumped up, and forgot about the retracting seats. When she sat back down she landed flat on her ar$e to the amusement of all around.

I like to think the mixture of excitement and comedy is a pretty fitting last memory of footy. A premiership would be better, but going out on a high with a laugh is pretty good too :).

LostDoggy
17-09-2010, 07:20 PM

Please let it be so.

AndrewP6
17-09-2010, 10:46 PM

Sorry to hear of your loss, MG...

Max469
17-09-2010, 11:08 PM

My condolences.

I am sure that Mum will be watching over you and the boys tomorrow might. God Bless.

LostDoggy
17-09-2010, 11:29 PM

GO DOGS!!

Well that part of the dream is right so far, Collingwood are in the GF. Now for the rest of it to come true.

lemmon
17-09-2010, 11:51 PM
Goosebumps mate, will be a fairy tale if we get up. Would make it even sweeter

LostDoggy
18-09-2010, 12:00 AM
My son is very psychic, he is very good at predicting the games we will win and the game we wil loose. He was the only person that was confident we would beat the Lions in 2005 at Brisbane. The same as he was very sure we would be beaten by them earlier in the year,. He had a dream before the season began, that we would play Collingwood in a GF and unfortunately lose. Let's hope he is wrong.

LostDoggy
18-09-2010, 12:06 AM
Lovely first post.

This is strange for me though. Round 20 a kiwi friend, not much of a footy watcher but a saints leaning supporter, told me he had a dream that the dogs played the pies in the GF -- and they beat the Saints to get there. I said I didn't think it possible, as the cats would beat the saints in the first final.... Well, that part went right, as has the rest of it...

Spooky.

LostDoggy
18-09-2010, 12:32 PM

I shared a conversation with my 76 year old Dad last night which I'm sure is worthy of sharing with the WOOF faithful.

This man took me to my first final in 1976 at Waverley where we got pipped by the Cats by less than a goal, and started a long run of fruitless September visits for the Club.

Three years ago we started going to games again with his older brother, buying a reserved seat together at the Dome. He shouted, I think as a gesture of thanks because he's at the age he can't really go by himself.

Over that time the team has obviously progressed to a level where we could genuinely contend for a premiership, which back in March felt like it was closer than ever.

Then came Round 20 against the Cats. With the flu running rampant thru the Kennel, we got smashed by 100 points. He looked at me after the game, his spirit crushed, and tells me he doesn't think he wants to go to the finals this year. He is suffering from Parkinsons Disease, which makes him fairly fragile.

Then last week, the miracle win after trailing by 5 goals in the first half. Something obviously stirs in him again.

Last night he tells me he had a dream.

We win.

The Dogs are doing a lap of honour with the Premiership Cup after the game.

He moves down to the fence where Johnno holds the Cup over to him.

He grabs one handle and calls his brother over, who grabs the other handle.

They are euphoric.

The next days Herald-Sun has the two old boys on the front page holding up the Cup.

As he's telling me this, tears are streaming down his face.........

Let's just hope the boys representing our Red, White and Blue know how much this means to some people and leave it all on the field.

GO DOGS!!

Great Post Cap I know how you feel my Dad is an old Industrial Worker from Willi and thinking back I have never actually witnessed him cry in my life. He lives the Bulldogs like many others and gets up to the Brisbane Sydney and Darwin games and sometimes Perth games. Leading up to the Sydney game whenever the topic was Footy I noticed his voice would change and the eyes fill up, just seeing the Raw emotion coming from him actually scares me and with his Body really starting to slow I cant help but think will he ever get to see us be in a GF where he is old enough to actually appreciate it (I think he was 12 in 61).
Is he scared this might be his last chance?
I inherited his lack of crying but ever since I saw him fill up I cant stop doing the same just the slightest thought of the FFC and Im off.
I want this so Bad I can taste it not just for me but more so for him. For most of us to not witness and feel a flag but not even witness being in one is just to much.
Our stars need to change and now. It's time Dogs!

LostDoggy
18-09-2010, 01:04 PM
I also had a dream earlier this week. Like many of my dreams it was strange:

We beat St Kilda by 22 points in the preliminary final. Then somehow my best friend & her husband managed to surprise me with an overseas trip (in my dream I skipped straight to the part of being there) It was somewhere in Europe. I asked them when we were going home as the Bulldogs were playing in the grand final. They said we arrived back in the early hours of the Sunday morning, after the grand final. I said "No way, the Dogs are in a grand final and I'm not missing it". Then I was frantically trying to find internet access to get a flight home. I found a slow public computer that was costing me $1 for every 10 seconds. Unfortunately my alarm woke me up before I found a flight.......

LostDoggy
18-09-2010, 02:56 PM
Thanks for your thoughts everyone! It has been a tough few weeks, but I really believe that Mum is up there directing and wants a Bulldog GF ........... so many dreams and spooky predictions - I just love it, and I've gotta believe!

DOG GOD
18-09-2010, 03:06 PM
Sorry to hear about ur loss MG. Lets hope we can all celebrate life later tonight, and the ones who have passed thru our hearts.