PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Veterans List

The Coon Dog
18-09-2010, 04:12 PM
Just trying to work out how we are placed in 2011 in regards to the veterans list.

Firstly, let's look at the rules:

Under AFL player rules, each club may nominate or list any number of what are called Veteran Player’s.

* In order to be eligible for classification as a Veteran a player must have been the age of 30 as at September 30 in the relevant AFL season and be on the primary list of the AFL club for at least 10 years or in the case of Port Adelaide since the inception of the club.
* From 2006 there is now no limit on the number of veteran players a club can list, as long as the player meets the required classification.

At present we have Johnno & Eagleton on the veterans list. Johnno has announced his retirement & I can't see Eagleton going on again in 2011.

So, to qualify in 2011 a player must have been born before 30 September 1981 & been on our list for 10 years. This means we have 3 players currently on our list who qualify next season:

Lindsay Gilbee 8/8/81
Ryan Hargrave 26/7/81
Mitch Hahn 10/5/81

For those with queries about Murph & Gia, both were born in 1982 & qualify in 2012.

This has a number of implications; a) playing list & b) salary cap.

With regard to playing list I can't find out a definitive answer on the AFL website, so it may have changed, but basically you could have 38 players on your primary list & x number of rookies (these were reduced by one for each veteran).

With regard to salary, most people think half of what is paid is outside the cap, hence many back ended deals when a player approaches veteran status, but if you have 3 veterans listed then 1/3 of those players salaries is outside the cap (if you have 4 veterans then 1/4 of those players salaries is outside the cap etc...).

Be interesting to see how this may place Mitch Hahn, given he's out of contract, as Gilbee & Hargrave in my view are certain to be elevated to the veterans list.

divvydan
18-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Just to add a couple of things. You can still only have a maximum of two veterans outside the main list of 38 players and doing so would reduce the number of rookies by the same number as veterans outside the main list.

For next year, if all three stay on, two could be outside main 38 man primary list and one would still need to be inside. It doesn't really matter which two go outside the main list, I think, except that I'm unsure on the rules regarding rookie elevation and LTI to players on the veterans list outside the primary list.

Go_Dogs
18-09-2010, 04:57 PM
For some reason I had read the rule and believed they had to be 30 by September 30 THIS year, and I was therefore under the false impression they wouldn't qualify.

That's good news.

Sockeye Salmon
18-09-2010, 06:18 PM
I suspect Hahn might be the only one listed.

Once you are on the vets list, the only way off is out the door and we would want the vets list available for Lake and one of Boyd/Murphy/Morris or Gia the following year.

divvydan
18-09-2010, 06:31 PM

Once you are on the vets list, the only way off is out the door and we would want the vets list available for Lake and one of Boyd/Murphy/Morris or Gia the following year.

That's an interesting point and one worth considering. Do you know if that applies to veterans inside the list as well as outside the list?

Lake/Gia/Murphy would be available to go onto the list, Boyd/Morris might have to wait as both were drafted mature age (Boyd moved onto primary list end of 2003, Morris at end of 2005)

Rocco Jones
19-09-2010, 01:14 AM

I think they have changed that rule.

The Coon Dog
19-09-2010, 01:22 AM

Did you not read the OP SS?