PDA

View Full Version : Amidst the disappointment...

westdog54
19-09-2010, 12:03 AM
It was heartening to see some of the players that stood up and made it count tonight.

You don't have to look at the stat sheet to see that Callan Ward was our BOG. Won the ball time and time again and used it well.

Dylan Addison probably played the best game he's ever played. Excellent endeavour.

Easton Wood showed Cross-esque courage, Hahn-esque strength and Murphy-esque poise tonight.

Liam Picken was given a job to do and did it pretty bloody well.

Its guys like this who will be our engine room for the next 5-10 years, and they've still got a decent number of years to continue to learn from the likes of Murphy, Cross, Boyd, Cooney and Griffen.

Call me an optimist if you must but from where I sit, it ain't all doom and gloom.

Mofra
19-09-2010, 12:07 AM
It is worth looking at the positives to help us next year.

Ward's best game for the club - tough, and used the ball pretty well under heavy pressure.
Wood will be very good for us next year. Tough as nails.
DFA's overhead ability has improved out of sight. He used to be a liability overhead - now, whilst not clean, he adds value. Definately forced his way up the pecking order of the list with his finals series.
Grant started to get involved after a poor finals series. Should be hungry for a big pre-season.
Hooper got a taste, should set him in good stead for next year.

Go_Dogs
19-09-2010, 12:08 AM
Agreed.

FWIW I hope Eade takes a similar approach to what he did when he first came to the club and really empower some younger kids to come in, take the game on and work hard defensively. We've got quite a bit of talent coming through, but adding some more speed would help a bit I think.

Dry Rot
19-09-2010, 12:09 AM
Dylan Addison probably played the best game he's ever played. Excellent endeavour.

Easton Wood showed Cross-esque courage, Hahn-esque strength and Murphy-esque poise tonight.

Apparently both played with broken ribs after half time, according to Eade.

Respect.

Mofra
19-09-2010, 12:10 AM
FWIW I hope Eade takes a similar approach to what he did when he first came to the club and really empower some younger kids to come in, take the game on and work hard defensively. We've got quite a bit of talent coming through, but adding some more speed would help a bit I think.
Malthouse has done the same thing this year and it's paid dividends.

Guys like Ward, Reid, Jones, Grant, Roughy, Hooper & Wood will benefit from added responsibility.

cinder
19-09-2010, 12:23 AM
I can't stop crying, and I never cry.
I love Johnno ...

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-09-2010, 12:30 AM
I can't stop crying, and I never cry.
I love Johnno ...

I hear ya Cinder. Just like it felt weird when the guys ran out for the first time after Granty called it a day, it seemed odd. I suspect it's going to feel the same come Rnd 1 next year too.

LostDoggy
19-09-2010, 12:34 AM
Good thread. So near the pinnacle again and thought we were a big chance at half time. So hard to be a bulldog, ask johnno and cg. If things go our way next year may be the next step.
Ward will be the next Johnson.

Hotdog60
19-09-2010, 12:38 AM
Next season shall be very interesting to see how we go after 3 attempts falling short. I think our defense has been ok this year, so if that can be maintained it should look after itself.

Another fast mover with good disposal for the center would be good.

But our forward structure is what I think needs the biggest look at, so this is what I think will be the biggest change over the pre season.

LostDoggy
19-09-2010, 12:38 AM
It is worth looking at the positives to help us next year.

Ward's best game for the club - tough, and used the ball pretty well under heavy pressure.
Wood will be very good for us next year. Tough as nails.
DFA's overhead ability has improved out of sight. He used to be a liability overhead - now, whilst not clean, he adds value. Definately forced his way up the pecking order of the list with his finals series.
Grant started to get involved after a poor finals series. Should be hungry for a big pre-season.
Hooper got a taste, should set him in good stead for next year.

Why dont you have a look on bigfooty then you smartass and see how many fans Rocket has!

Mantis
19-09-2010, 12:42 AM
Why dont you have a look on bigfooty then you smartass and see how many fans Rocket has!

Can someone please ban this guy?

Mofra
19-09-2010, 12:44 AM
Only a complete idiot would use bigfooty as a back-up to an argument.

By the way, it's spelt A-R-S-E in Australia.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-09-2010, 01:00 AM

I can see the Club statement now "Due to Rodney not rating with the esteemed judges on Bigfooty we have decided to terminate Rodney Eade's comment. We will be consulting the wise heads on Big footy by way of a poll to select our next coach.":rolleyes:

Ghost Dog
19-09-2010, 01:19 AM
I'm very proud of our boys. Actually, as much as I have been calling for his rotation, Mitch Had a good game I thought. So many moments. Crossy, throwing hinmself into the fray. Tommy, throwing himself in and getting head high devasatation from Koz and picking himself up. Muprh did himself proud putting his body on the line. A bit of stray kicking and a few lapses in defence and we may have been there.
I feel shit, but the image of Eagle bawling his eyes out into Jonno's shoulder stays with me.
Well played Bulldogs. Thanks for a good season.

The Pie Man
19-09-2010, 01:25 AM

That's completely unnesecary, what in the world could prompt such a response from Mofra's post? Pathetic :mad:

LostDoggy
19-09-2010, 01:31 AM
I am preying the kids come up. Eade's handling off younger players does worry me though.

chef
19-09-2010, 07:54 AM

Maybe you should go back there if it's that much of a fountain of knowledge.

FrediKanoute
19-09-2010, 08:47 AM
Yep have to agree that whilst this year we have once again fallen short there isn't the same sickening feeling of last year and the year before. I guess that I felt this year we never really seemed to get it together 100%. There were glimpses, but really we struggled to get our best 22 out on the park because of a combination of injury, indifferent form and stymied development.

However as a result we have seen the development/emergence of some good kids as well as some established players go from strength to stregnth.

Grant - break out year for him. Blew away his many Big Footy critics with a string of impressive performances when the team wasn't playing its best. His finals were a little disappointing, but he now knows what is required.

Jones - just to get a few games into this guy is a real bonus. Hopefully he can build on it next season and relieve the pressure on Grant and Barry. A spot has opened up on the forward line for him with Johnno's retirement and he needs to grab it.

Wood - really impressive year. He is going to be a genuinely good player who can play short or tall.

Stack - will be better for the games he played. Showed signs that he ha the talent just needs the application. Would like them to trial him on a back pocket in the preseason as I think he nees to be given a specific role.

Hooper - 1 game in a final,but probab;y should have played a couple more games earlier in the year. Could help solve our puzzle in the forward line.

Moles - in-out-in-out - for a guy off the rookie list getting 13 games was a pretty good result. Should be elevated and provides useful backup for Boyd, Cross and Co.

Roughhead - really impressive kid. Goood kick, good mark, mobile....ticks all of the boxes of a modern day ruckman. Needs to add some stregnth to his frame but he looks a real find.

Having developed these guys and still made a Prelim we should be pleased with what Rocket has achieved this year.....

KT31
19-09-2010, 09:13 AM
I think you could include DFA, last night hopefully was a turning point for him.

LostDoggy
19-09-2010, 09:25 AM
I think you could include DFA, last night hopefully was a turning point for him.

Was very happy for him last night, i really like having him involved in the team.

Hopefully we are seeing the return of pre knee injury Dylan, because he was superb at that stage of his career.

FrediKanoute
19-09-2010, 09:27 AM

Yep, and Wardy and Picko......all took step forward this season. If we can get games next season into Reid and Cordy we'll have a new generation emerging.....a ittle bit better balanced than 99

LostDoggy
19-09-2010, 09:41 AM
I'm happy with all the players mentioned here except for Stack. Personally I think he should be gone this year.

westdog54
19-09-2010, 10:41 AM

Luke Darcy absolutely loves Addison, the fact that he'll never die wondering. He ain't the best out there but he leaves it all on the field.

Desipura
19-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Luke Darcy absolutely loves Addison, the fact that he'll never die wondering. He ain't the best out there but he leaves it all on the field.
Credit where it is due, he was very courageous and assisted in a few goals early. Is there for insurance and happy for him to be on the list as a backup.

Ghost Dog
19-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Yep, and Wardy and Picko......all took step forward this season. If we can get games next season into Reid and Cordy we'll have a new generation emerging.....a ittle bit better balanced than 99

Liam was outstanding last night. Inspirational.

Sedat
19-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Ward is developing a resume of high quality September output to match Griffen's. He was just about our best player in the 09 QF against Geelong and was terrific in last year's PF as well. Was 2nd half BOG against the Swans last week and was our clear BOG last night. Give him a full and pain-free pre-season and he will be one of the first picked in most people's Super Coach teams next year. Another 10 years of this sort of output from Cal has me very excited.

LostDoggy
19-09-2010, 04:25 PM

Yeah,
One little highlight for me last night was watching Wood rail Kosi in their forward line, win the free kick and watch Kosi hobble to the bench.
It's not the first time Wood has thrown himself at the contest, where he had no business doing so, winning the ball and sideline the opposition player! Awesome stuff.

LostDoggy
19-09-2010, 04:36 PM
I was so happy with Dylan Addison last night...

I am aware of thow good the other youngins (Liam & Cal) were.. but I think Dylan really imposed himself this finals series. I love his toughness, he's an absolute hard nut (as you would have seen when he crunched kirkys face last week). He's that type of player other clubs would find irritating, and he does a good job at it. Doesn't get your typical tag role, but always puts his body on the line to beat opposition getting to the ball first and I love seeing him in that starting 22. Well done Dyl.