PDA

View Full Version : Every Cloud Has A Silver Lining

LostDoggy
19-09-2010, 04:09 PM
Father-son AFL draft prospect Mitch Wallis powered his way to 47 possessions to guide Calder Cannons to a 58-point win in today's TAC Cup grand final against Gippsland Power.

Full Story
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/wallis-dominates-tac-cup-grand-final/story-e6frf9jf-1225926294148

LostDoggy
19-09-2010, 04:16 PM
Only thing bringing a smile to my face :D

KT31
19-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Father-son AFL draft prospect Mitch Wallis powered his way to 47 possessions to guide Calder Cannons to a 58-point win in today's TAC Cup grand final against Gippsland Power.

Full Story
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/wallis-dominates-tac-cup-grand-final/story-e6frf9jf-1225926294148

Glad to see they he won a flag,might be his last for a while.
Unless things change at the club the best he can hope from here in out is a prelim berth.

Desipura
20-09-2010, 11:30 AM
Mitch is aiming to play round 1 for us. Collingwood have drafted players who have been Best on Ground in a grand final ie Thomas & Steele Sidebottom.
Their recruiting manager said at the time it shows that they can perform on the big stage, hence why he had no hesitiation in calling their names out on draft day.
Well, they cant get their hands on Mitch, he is ours!

1eyedog
20-09-2010, 11:33 AM
I was very pleased to read this in today's Age. A silver lining indeed.

stefoid
20-09-2010, 12:07 PM
Apparently uses the ball very well and makes very good decisions in close- the type of player that really sets up play with chip kicks and offensive handball.

Libba apparently is a 'neat kick' with clean disposal and has more penetration with his kicking than Wallis, without being a huge long kick.

Good ball users and decision makers, thank goodness!

Curly5
20-09-2010, 12:32 PM
It will be great to get these two boys but there will be quite a weight of expectation on their shoulders. Will they be as good as their fathers? It looks like they might be.

It will be timely to inject some red, white and blue heritage into the team. With the departure of Johnno, a link to the past has also gone. Someone who went through the good and bad times and never lost the passion. Who will be the player/s who will seize on to the Bulldog spirit and bleed for the club, and drag us to our next flag?

SlimPickens
20-09-2010, 05:33 PM
Yesterday was the third time i have seen Wallis play. What an impressive performance, he is one of those players who seems to find space effortlessly, generally uses the ball well, has quick hands and sums up situations beautifully.

The one thing that really stood out for me however was the leadership he showed. Before the time in which the coaches would speak at the qtr time breaks, Wallis would gather the other players around him and speak. Every calder player had their eyes trained on him and seemed to take everything in and responded accordingly. The other thing i noted was the kids body language, he had the air of confidence and a real swagger in his step. He commanded the ball, willed himself to as many contests as possible (hence 47 touches) and purely dominated the proceedings. This is one of the best under 18 performances i have seen and equal if not better to that of Sidebottom a few years back and daylight ahead of Melksham last year.

Desipura
21-09-2010, 10:56 AM
is a replay going to be shown on foxtel?

stefoid
21-09-2010, 12:16 PM
They have been training with us in some way for a while now, so hopefully a full preseason wont come as much of a shock as to other draftees - working on their core strength etc... so as not to get the dreaded OP.

I reckon Wallis would be a good chance to start round 1. Sure they will both get a run in the NAB youd think.