PDA

View Full Version : The Addison Revolution

Bulldog Revolution
19-09-2010, 06:51 PM
So Dylan is a player I should state upfront I admire.

In 2010 he played a lot early and was one of the casualties when the team was not playing well, and was a scapegoat for a lot of our supporters for a season that was not living up to their hopes

He came back into the team later in the year and took a bit to get going. He struggled with Dale Thomas in the first final but its hard to assess that performance with our team struggling mightily on the night.

I stood by and watched posters bag him, and call for him to be dropped after the swans final which I was very surprised with and presumed could only have come from posters not at the game, and not fully able to appreciate his work, the kirk contest, the two balls he kicked to Hall for goal assists in the first quarter.

Now, Im not saying he doesn't have work left to do, or that he never mucks it up, but to me it was absolutely clear to me he improved his kicking markedly in 2010. That more frequently they are spinning well have a better trajectory and are increasingly more attacking. In the finals against the Swans and Saints he kicked excellent set shot goals and more often that

I stated up front I was a fan but I believe if supporters cant see the improvement in Addison and particularly his kicking then they just aren't paying attention.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-09-2010, 07:00 PM
He plays his best footy when given a role and that role from next year onwards has to be the defensive forward. He did OK last year a couple of times in this role but was dropped. He had a good finals series though and certainly is able to step it up when required. As another posted noted, he does tend to struggle a little when playing in lesser games against average opposition. He's at his best in a game like last night. He was incredible in that first half - really inpsiring to watch.

Agree that his kicking has improved. It's not as bad as what many make it out to be. He's also improved his marking over head - he took some good ones in the finals series. His game early in the year against Brisbane at the Gabba was very good also.

Get him to have a strong pre-season, get him fitter and train him as a defensive forward. He's got a solid future IMO.

LostDoggy
19-09-2010, 09:10 PM
The guy played the game last night with an intensity that needs to be emulated by so many 'better' players. Awe inspiring at times, he played like a leader. Ward and Picken have it too.

Jasper
19-09-2010, 09:35 PM
Yep DA (I'm dropping the 'F') played ok, he still turns it over, but I too believe his kicking and overhead marking has improved. His hardness and intensity have never been in question. His pace is questionable, but in the absence of anyone else, he has stuck his hand up for a permanent spot in the forward fifty as a defensive forward. A good end to the season for DA.

craigsahibee
19-09-2010, 10:10 PM
Massive Addison fan here. Luke Darcy summed it up in the commentary on Saturday night when he said "you'll always know what you're going to get from Dylan".

I'd rather have someone who goes hard and turns it over occasionally than someone who doesn't go hard, turns it over constantly and is called Nathan.

Mantis
19-09-2010, 10:54 PM
Massive Addison fan here. Luke Darcy summed it up in the commentary on Saturday night when he said "you'll always know what you're going to get from Dylan".

I'd rather have someone who goes hard and turns it over occasionally than someone who doesn't go hard, turns it over constantly and is called Nathan.

Luke chucks out this line everytime he commentates the Dogs and Dylan is in action.

Time for a new line Darce.

LostDoggy
19-09-2010, 10:55 PM
I loved his game. He and Picken are cut from the same cloth, though Picken has a bit more silk.

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 11:04 AM
An Addison-love thread. I love it. I'll use my quote from another thread I replied in yesterday

I was so happy with Dylan Addison last night...

I am aware of thow good the other youngins (Liam & Cal) were.. but I think Dylan really imposed himself this finals series. I love his toughness, he's an absolute hard nut (as you would have seen when he crunched kirkys face last week). He's that type of player other clubs would find irritating, and he does a good job at it. Doesn't get your typical tag role, but always puts his body on the line to beat opposition getting to the ball first and I love seeing him in that starting 22. Well done Dyl.

Desipura
20-09-2010, 11:05 AM
Saturday night ensured he will be with us for a little longer, very committed effort, especially in the first half.

EasternWest
20-09-2010, 11:08 AM
Saturday night ensured he will be with us for a little longer, very committed effort, especially in the first half.

I would say the first half was typical effort.

The second half, with broken ribs, that was committed.

Desipura
20-09-2010, 11:12 AM
I would say the first half was typical effort.

The second half, with broken ribs, that was committed.
I read that Wood played on with broken ribs not Addison.

The Coon Dog
20-09-2010, 11:13 AM
I read that Wood played on with broken ribs not Addison.

Both did.

Desipura
20-09-2010, 11:14 AM
Both did.
Fantastic effort!

EasternWest
20-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Fantastic effort!

Yep, but no less than what you'd expect from two tough kids.

Desipura
20-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Yep, but no less than what you'd expect from two tough kids.

its why our future looks bright, I want to create a new thread about this.

EasternWest
20-09-2010, 12:48 PM
its why our future looks bright, I want to create a new thread about this.

Go for it. Interested to hear your thoughts.

The Pie Man
20-09-2010, 03:54 PM
Dylan's a big unit these days - anyone else notice him significantly bulk up?