PDA

View Full Version : Nathan Eagleton - Thanks for the memories.

chef
20-09-2010, 09:17 AM
Nathan Eagleton, 31, yesterday announced his retirement to the players.

Eagleton made a significant contribution to the Dogs - 225 games, after arriving in 2000 from Port Adelaide, where he played 52.

He played on this year on budget pay at the urging of teammates.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-will-limp-to-pre-season/story-e6frf9jf-1225926427377

To bad he couldn't go out after a GF with Johnno. Looked absolutely shattered in the rooms after the game crying on Johnno's shoulder. Thanks for the memories Eago.

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Yes, thanks for the great service and memories Eagle. Could really bust a game open with his leg speed and that running shot at goal :D

cinder
20-09-2010, 09:38 AM
Yeah I saw about 2 seconds of footage of him crying into Johhno's shoulder, certainly tugged on my heart strings!
Thanks Eags, really enjoyed watching you play.

EasternWest
20-09-2010, 09:44 AM
Love him or hate him, his ability to remain current in football was remarkable. I can't say I ever really warmed to him, but I commend him on his great career and have no doubts that whatever his failings, he tried his hardest for our club.

Thanks Eagle. Good luck for the future.

Desipura
20-09-2010, 10:07 AM
We got very good value from Eagle. Hahn has accepted a 1 year deal to play on? You have got to be kidding me!
Interesting that we are after Sherman

KT31
20-09-2010, 10:13 AM
Well done Eagle on a great career with the Doggies.

Sockeye Salmon
20-09-2010, 10:27 AM
We got very good value from Eagle. Hahn has accepted a 1 year deal to play on? You have got to be kidding me!
Interesting that we are after Sherman

3AW reported this morning that Mitch told the playing group he was retiring after the game on Saturday night.

Desipura
20-09-2010, 10:56 AM
3AW reported this morning that Mitch told the playing group he was retiring after the game on Saturday night.
Thanks SS, I feel better now.

Mofra
20-09-2010, 11:00 AM
For a guy that almost died on the field with a heart defect, to play on another 250 times is an enormous effort. His running capacity will be hard to duplicate.
Thanks Eagle.

Daughter of the West
20-09-2010, 11:03 AM
Will miss yelling, "It's the BALD EAGLE!!!" with my sister at the footy as he sweeps down the wing.

Thanks for memories Eagle.

The Pie Man
20-09-2010, 11:05 AM
Some great running goals over the journey from Eagle - over 250 games is an impressive effort

Grantysghost
20-09-2010, 11:12 AM
Well done Eagle, overcome adversity with the heart condition and forged out a great career. Will not forget those searing left foot passes, and goals on the run from outside 50!

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 11:39 AM
We'll miss you Eggy. Loved those running, left foot goals. Thanks for the memories. :)

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 11:47 AM
Yes, thanks for the great service and memories Eagle. Could really bust a game open with his leg speed and that running shot at goal :D

Same memories here.
My favourite Eagle goal of all time was Round 22 against the Pies 2009, 3rd Quarter.
Running with the ball from Half-Back all the way to 40m out from our goal and slots it.
Thanks for your service Eagle, your hard work is a credit to yourself!

Curly5
20-09-2010, 01:03 PM

I think they may have meant Eagleton, that's when he told the players and no doubt why he was so emotional. :(

I was a fan of yours, Eagle, right from the start. You were a very unassuming, hard working team player. Thanks for everything.

Pretty sure Mitch will be back for another year.

Desipura
20-09-2010, 01:06 PM
I think they may have meant Eagleton, that's when he told the players and no doubt why he was so emotional. :(

I was a fan of yours, Eagle, right from the start. You were a very unassuming, hard working team player. Thanks for everything.

Pretty sure Mitch will be back for another year.
Can anyone confirm?

Bulldog Revolution
20-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Congrats Eagle

Gave it everything you had, and were a respected member of the team

We'd love to find a few 18-19 year old Eagletons

lemmon
20-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Thanks for a decade of great service, he will be remembered for the big goal and great run. Thanks eagle

Curly5
20-09-2010, 02:12 PM
Can anyone confirm?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-will-limp-to-pre-season/story-e6frf9jf-1225926427377

soupman
20-09-2010, 02:14 PM
It's always sad when someone who has been such a regular part of our side retires.

Eagleton was a fantastic player at times, and some of his goals were awesome. The one towards the end of the 1 point loss to Geelong stands out not only as the typical Eagleton goal, but the most awesome display of it.

Cyberdoggie
20-09-2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the memories Eagle.

Although i do blame you for my receeding hair line you have at times been a good player.

All the best.

mighty_west
20-09-2010, 02:19 PM
Sad to see the Bald Eagle go, was a very good player for us, the gut running goal kicking on the run from 50 will be missed.

Thanks for the memories Eags.

Desipura
20-09-2010, 03:09 PM
I already read that hence why I came up with my intial comment.

EasternWest
20-09-2010, 03:11 PM
I wonder when Mantis will comment in this thread?

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 03:18 PM
Thanks for busting your gut for our team Eagle, you were up against from the start because you were swapped for Monty. Monty was also a favouriute of mine, but you have just retired so I reckon we still did very well out of the deal. All the best for whatever you do in the future. I'm not ashamed to say the scenes of you in the rooms Saturday night brought trears to my eyes as well.

Murphy'sLore
20-09-2010, 03:22 PM
So long, bald Eagle, you were the first player whose number I was able to remember and pick out on the field. You always gave 100%, and I wish you a long and productive retirement.

Ghost Dog
20-09-2010, 03:42 PM

Poetry for Eeagle please.

Bald Eagle, The left leg cannon.
Bobbing down the wing
Blinding with thy chrome dome
billiard ball on a spring

We loved to watch you bang it
from fifty through the slot
No dodgy knees or hammies
On your CV did blot.

Just a loyal, faithful bulldog
how could we wish for more?
Put your wings up eagle
Bulldogs, we applaud.

Ok, now poetry critics, bring it on but if you do, you have to do one better yourself.!

Good on ya Eagle.:D

EasternWest
20-09-2010, 03:57 PM
Here's the thing about Nathan
A player the coach put his faith in
He could run and kick on his left
But on his right he was totally bereft.

Still he forged a solid career
After Port threw him on his ear
He overcame a dodgy ticker
To become our designated kicker

He remodelled his game when told to
Yet there was plenty that he still could not do
Tackle, hardball and set shot
Getting the hang of these things he could not

Though he was good on the run
Kicking it 60 for fun
But no matter how hard he did practice
He still never did please our Mantis

So now his career is complete
No run left in tired legs and feet
In the PF he again tried his best
Bald head bowed in our captains chest

Apologies for terrible rhyming, and basically breaking every poetry rule there is.

You win, Ghost Dog.

Daughter of the West
20-09-2010, 04:14 PM
A Limerick in honour of Eagleton:

There once was a doggie called Eagle
Who could outrun many a beagle
His left kick was mean
And he always played keen
And his exit was suitably regal.

Hmmmm.... not many things rhyme with Eagle!

I agree with dfa4pm, Ghost Dog wins.

Murphy'sLore
20-09-2010, 04:24 PM
Come on, DaDruid, what have you got??

Ghost Dog
20-09-2010, 04:33 PM
A Limerick in honour of Eagleton:

There once was a doggie called Eagle
Who could outrun many a beagle
His left kick was mean
And he always played keen
And his exit was suitably regal.

Hmmmm.... not many things rhyme with Eagle!

I agree with dfa4pm, Ghost Dog wins.

I like this!
Good work

Ghost Dog
20-09-2010, 04:35 PM
Here's the thing about Nathan
A player the coach put his faith in
He could run and kick on his left
But on his right he was totally bereft.

Still he forged a solid career
After Port threw him on his ear
He overcame a dodgy ticker
To become our designated kicker

He remodelled his game when told to
Yet there was plenty that he still could not do
Tackle, hardball and set shot
Getting the hang of these things he could not

Though he was good on the run
Kicking it 60 for fun
But no matter how hard he did practice
He still never did please our Mantis

So now his career is complete
No run left in tired legs and feet
In the PF he again tried his best
Bald head bowed in our captains chest

Apologies for terrible rhyming, and basically breaking every poetry rule there is.

You win, Ghost Dog.

Haha, NOICE. Yours was more detailed. More of a flowing 'epitah' This is not a competition. It's a bald eagle celebration. All contributions lighten things a bit. Well done Dfa4pm;)

Curly5
20-09-2010, 05:28 PM
I already read that hence why I came up with my intial comment.

Sockeye Salmon said he'd heard on 3AW that Hahn retired in front of the players after the game and I replied that that must have been Eagleton (who did actually retire in front of the players after the game), not Hahn, and that Hahn was mentioned in that article as being offered another year. Maybe that's not counted as confirmation, but he certainly hasn't retired as yet.

Throughandthrough
21-09-2010, 07:37 PM
Heard today that Eagle will be returning to Adelaide, and is open to offers from SANFL teams.........................................

LostDoggy
21-09-2010, 09:10 PM
Very frustrating at times was Eagle, but did give us some good memories.

His booming left foot will always be remembered, all the best Eagle.

Mantis
21-09-2010, 09:12 PM

I missed this thread... Oops.

Doc26
21-09-2010, 09:19 PM
Loved the way he went about the season, little fanfare, accepted his position and took on his role when called upon and one of the quieter exits from the game I can ever recall from a player just shy of reaching 300 games. Aker take note of how to do things with some class and dignity. Good on you, Nathan.

LostDoggy
21-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Thanks bald man for all your effort on the field. But also one of the best to have a chat with at the functions, always has time. Really nice bloke. Good Luck to you and yr family with what ever you want to do next!! Miss ya!!

LostDoggy
21-09-2010, 11:34 PM
Congratulations Eags on a great career at the doggies.
We will sorely miss your great runs down the wings and terrific left foot shots at goal.
Wonderful stuff Nathan.
All the best for the future.

LostDoggy
21-09-2010, 11:43 PM
Well done Eagle, I have enjoyed watching your goals from 65 and long runs. You were approachable and talkative when I spoke to you on the plane. You have had a massive career and you are an AFL life member. Hope to see you in the SANFL next year, your a bulldog mate so stick with the red, white and blue.

Go_Dogs
22-09-2010, 12:34 AM
At his best, a very damaging player - very much suited to the modern game. Played some rippers over the years for the Dogs, wish him all the best.

LostDoggy
22-09-2010, 02:49 PM
Champion.
Thanks Eagles!