PDA

View Full Version : Justin Sherman

1eyedog
20-09-2010, 10:15 AM
Yes please he is a proven game breaker and will be just the tonic for our apparent lack of pace. Has been terribly out of form but I believe his best footy is a head of him as he is still youngish and probably needs a change of scenery. He kicks inspiring goals and I have always been a fan.

With the mass exodus at Brisbane Voss will surely want to hold on to him. Does anyone know his position at the club? Is he dissatisfied, are there rumblings he wants out or is he just out of contract?

We should play long and hard for him, but what will they want (and what do they need that we've got) to get him in the red, white and blue?

Desipura
20-09-2010, 10:17 AM
Yes please he is a proven game breaker and will be just the tonic for our apparent lack of pace. Has been terribly out of form but I believe his best footy is a head of him as he is still youngish and probably needs a change of scenery. He kicks inspiring goals and I have always been a fan.

With the mass exodus at Brisbane Voss will surely want to hold on to him. Does anyone know his position at the club? Is he dissatisfied, are there rumblings he wants out or is he just out of contract?

We should play long and hard for him, but what will they want (and what do they need that we've got) to get him in the red, white and blue?
A 2nd round pick will get the deal done. The Harbrow compenation picks will come in handy especially as we will most likely pick Wallis and Libba with our first 2 picks.
I would like to hold onto one of the Harbrow picks for another draft.

SlimPickens
20-09-2010, 05:03 PM
I think this bloke would be a great fit for our footy club. Pace to burn and willing to take the game on. He is only 23, didn't have a great year which will hopefully see a second round pick could get the job done. Or we could throw Tiller in to sweeten the dea ;).

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 10:59 PM
Eagle replacement maybe?

Remi Moses
20-09-2010, 11:27 PM
Not sold on him personally,as although quick he butchers the sherrin.
Prefer Tambling or Davey although we might need to give up to much I feel.

mighty_west
20-09-2010, 11:34 PM
A 2nd round pick will get the deal done. The Harbrow compenation picks will come in handy especially as we will most likely pick Wallis and Libba with our first 2 picks.
I would like to hold onto one of the Harbrow picks for another draft.

Hopefully we will end up with the first round selection straight after our first pick and not have to wait after the first round, so we'd most likely take Wallis at 22 and the Harbrow selection if we choose to use it this year on pick 23, i wonder if Sherman is worth that pick, or should we hold onto it for a few years, i bet Dalrymple would be very tempted to use that pick this year if he thinks we can land a good player in this years draft.

Would much prefer Sherman over Tambling any day of the week.

LostDoggy
21-09-2010, 09:12 AM
Not sold on him personally,as although quick he butchers the sherrin.
Prefer Tambling or Davey although we might need to give up to much I feel.

Agree. Doesn't have any appeal to me, would rather look at a Tambling-type.

1eyedog
21-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Hopefully we will end up with the first round selection straight after our first pick and not have to wait after the first round, so we'd most likely take Wallis at 22 and the Harbrow selection if we choose to use it this year on pick 23, i wonder if Sherman is worth that pick, or should we hold onto it for a few years, i bet Dalrymple would be very tempted to use that pick this year if he thinks we can land a good player in this years draft.

Agreed, he offers so much more IMO and has a B&F to prove it. Tambling is one of the most overrated early round picks of the last 10 years. He just makes too many bad decisions.

We need a line breaker.

1eyedog
21-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Agree. Doesn't have any appeal to me, would rather look at a Tambling-type.

Why? What do you think he offers?

chef
21-09-2010, 09:40 AM

Agree, would fit our needs much better(as well as being a much better player IMO).

Desipura
21-09-2010, 09:47 AM
I would think if we were to get a Tambling or Sherman, Everitt would be part of that swap

chef
21-09-2010, 09:56 AM
I would think if we were to get a Tambling or Sherman, Everitt would be part of that swap

I would be happy with that.

Sockeye Salmon
21-09-2010, 09:57 AM

I would hope that we get pick 23 for Harbrow and that would be enough.

Rosa for Hill
Pick 18 for Everitt from Carlton that ideally we spend on a key back (could Watson last this long?)

chef
21-09-2010, 10:00 AM
I would hope that we get pick 23 for Harbrow and that would be enough.

Rosa for Hill
Pick 18 for Everitt from Carlton that ideally we spend on a key back (could Watson last this long?)

That would be nice if it ends up like that, but i would probably prefer to use pick 18 on a small forward if a good one is available.

LostDoggy
21-09-2010, 10:39 AM
Why? What do you think he offers?

Im not saying tambling-specifically, I would rather look for a solid CHB (not sure whos out there) or small crumbing forward, I just don't know Sherman is the answer? But also I haven't seen a lot of Sherman, why is he being thrown up with us, what has he got we need, he's not an in and under player is he? is he the running Outside player?

Ozza
21-09-2010, 11:12 AM
We had picken tag Sherman in last years Semi final.. so I'd say the coaches rate Sherman.

I like this move if we get a reasonable trade. He has had 5 years in the system now - and is likely to play his best footy in the next 3-4 years. Certainly has pace we so desperately need. Getting Peake has been a win for St.Kilda - and I think Sherman is a similar - but comfortably better player - who would fit well in the side.

Doc26
21-09-2010, 11:27 AM
If Sherman is being considered it would be interesting to work out the maths as to how we would fit him into our TPP. It is understood he has a heavily back ended contract at the Lions and I suspect the Lions would prefer to trade him to a Club that could wear the bulk if not all of this loading assuming they are in as bad a shape financially as has been reported.

1eyedog
21-09-2010, 11:37 AM
Im not saying tambling-specifically, I would rather look for a solid CHB (not sure whos out there) or small crumbing forward, I just don't know Sherman is the answer? But also I haven't seen a lot of Sherman, why is he being thrown up with us, what has he got we need, he's not an in and under player is he? is he the running Outside player?

Pacy midfielder who knows where the goals are but can be let down by his disposal at times. Will provide run and carry which we have lost through McMahon, Ray, Eagleton etc.

You mentioned a Tambling-type, but I don't think this type fits the mold of a solid CHB or a small crumbing forward.

Richmond tried to make Tambling a rebounding half back flanker, but IMO he is a poor mans Robert Murphy minus the skill, decision making and disposal efficiency. At least with Sherman we get pace and goals, even if he does turn it over a bit. I would play Sherman off a half forward flank.

i really hope we go hard at him and leave Tambling out of the equation.

1eyedog
21-09-2010, 11:38 AM
If Sherman is being considered it would be interesting to work out the maths as to how we would fit him into our TPP. It is understood he has a heavily back ended contract at the Lions and I suspect the Lions would prefer to trade him to a Club that could wear the bulk if not all of this loading assuming they are in as bad a shape financially as has been reported.

Good point

mighty_west
21-09-2010, 11:51 AM

That would be the only sticking point, the Lions have well & truly buggered things right up there.

The main reason's i'd go Sherman over Tambling is the bigger body, who would stand up when counted more in big games, i could see Sherman the type to not take any crap, stand up for himself, where's a Tambling is very Wallace like, a little bit Jordan McMahon for my liking.

For those questioning Shermans skills, Tambling is terrible around goals, he just seems to freeze up, no thanks.

LostDoggy
21-09-2010, 01:24 PM
Pacy midfielder who knows where the goals are but can be let down by his disposal at times. Will provide run and carry which we have lost through McMahon, Ray, Eagleton etc.

Thanks for the heads up- ill go hunt the internet for the Sherman files later ;)

1eyedog
21-09-2010, 01:51 PM
That would be the only sticking point, the Lions have well & truly buggered things right up there.

The main reason's i'd go Sherman over Tambling is the bigger body, who would stand up when counted more in big games, i could see Sherman the type to not take any crap, stand up for himself, where's a Tambling is very Wallace like, a little bit Jordan McMahon for my liking.

For those questioning Shermans skills, Tambling is terrible around goals, he just seems to freeze up, no thanks.

And makes bad decisions in the back half (like we need more of those), does not know how far or where to run, when to bounce, sells himself into trouble all the time because he simply has B grade awareness etc. he is a BARRY CROCKER and will become the new scapegoat.

Now that Eagleton is gone I'm sure Gia and Hargrave will appreciate his appointment.

boydogs
21-09-2010, 11:10 PM

We are getting rid of Johnson, Eagleton, Aker and now Harbrow's salaries, plus possibly Everitt and Hill's. Taking the player payments off Brisbane may make the end of 1st round pick we were given for Harbrow acceptable

Go_Dogs
21-09-2010, 11:40 PM
That would be nice if it ends up like that, but i would probably prefer to use pick 18 on a small forward if a good one is available.

We can probably try to snare a couple of small forwards with later selections, and with pick 18 we should be able to get a pretty handy player, and definitely think we should look to an outside, goal kicking mid with some toe or as SS said, a key defender such as Watson (although not sure he'll last that long).

The Coon Dog
22-09-2010, 08:26 AM
We are getting rid of Johnson, Eagleton, Aker and now Harbrow's salaries, plus possibly Everitt and Hill's. Taking the player payments off Brisbane may make the end of 1st round pick we were given for Harbrow acceptable

Johnno & Eagle were on the vets list, so we're only culling half of their salaries, Aker & Harbrow weren't on alot & even if you take out Everitt & Hill's salaries you have to factor into the equation recent re-signings in Lake, Cooney & Griffen (might be some serious coin there).

mighty_west
22-09-2010, 10:36 AM
Johnno & Eagle were on the vets list, so we're only culling half of their salaries, Aker & Harbrow weren't on alot & even if you take out Everitt & Hill's salaries you have to factor into the equation recent re-signings in Lake, Cooney & Griffen (might be some serious coin there).

What about when we also [if we re-sign Mitch Hahn] on a heavily reduced wage as well as put him onto the vets list, and also adding Gilbee on as well?

Doc26
22-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Fitting in a B grader that by reports is currently on $800k over the next two years within our TPP is only one part of the consideration / challenge. We still need to have the dollars in the bank to cover off the combined TPP plus vets allowances plus approved marketing allowances. Is all very well if you're Essendon or Collingwood but financially we're not that far removed from where the Lions find themselves. There's also the future we must keep an eye out on when the likes of Cal and Easton also start to demand 400k plus salaries.

The Coon Dog
22-09-2010, 11:21 AM
Fitting in a B grader that by reports is currently on $800k over the next two years within our TPP is only one part of the consideration / challenge. We still need to have the dollars in the bank to cover off the combined TPP plus vets allowances plus approved marketing allowances. Is all very well if you're Essendon or Collingwood but financially we're not that far removed from where the Lions find themselves. There's also the future we must keep an eye out on when the likes of Cal and Easton also start to demand 400k plus salaries.

I think the challenge for any team dealing with Brisbane is how much of Sherman's salary they cover. The team that is prepared to pay the greatest majority of it is likely to get a much better deal from Brisbane.

Not sure if I explained that too well, but say he's on 400K a year & one team says we'll pay $350 of that, Brisbane may be prepared to accept a pick of about 30 & if another team says we'll only pay $250 of his salary, Brisbane might want a pick around 20. Just use those picks/figures as a guide to illustrate my point, forget the actuals as they may be nowhere near right.

LostDoggy
22-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Can't help but think of American Pie - "The Shermanator"!! :D

mighty_west
22-09-2010, 11:45 AM
I think the challenge for any team dealing with Brisbane is how much of Sherman's salary they cover. The team that is prepared to pay the greatest majority of it is likely to get a much better deal from Brisbane.

Not sure if I explained that too well, but say he's on 400K a year & one team says we'll pay $350 of that, Brisbane may be prepared to accept a pick of about 30 & if another team says we'll only pay $250 of his salary, Brisbane might want a pick around 20. Just use those picks/figures as a guide to illustrate my point, forget the actuals as they may be nowhere near right.

That's a fair point, and a team may be able to pick him up for unders, but on the flipside, take on most of his wage & cap space he takes up, we may be in decent shape over the next few years with the '99 crop getting onto the vet's list over the next few years, and a big bald bloke would have to be on decent coin as well...:p

Doc26
22-09-2010, 11:46 AM
It is understood he has a heavily back ended contract at the Lions and I suspect the Lions would prefer to trade him to a Club that could wear the bulk if not all of this loading assuming they are in as bad a shape financially as has been reported.

Thanks TCD. I agree. I endeavoured to make this point earlier in the thread. I suspect due to likely demand for a quick if Sherman does depart Brisbane that Brisbane wont be left carrying much if any of his back ended contract.

boydogs
22-09-2010, 08:54 PM

Lake was last year, so this year's cap already included him. Griffen apparently stayed for a lot less than he was offered elsewhere. Not sure on Cooney, but I thought he already had a new contract done after his Brownlow, so wouldn't be in line for a massive increase.

2 pay rises you would think would be a fair bit less than 3-5 full salaries

My point exactly. Your numbers don't sound unreasonable either, which would mean it's either the higher salary and the Harbrow pick, or a Everitt/Hill pick if things like pick 18 from Carlton are accurate

I suspect due to likely demand for a quick if Sherman does depart Brisbane that Brisbane wont be left carrying much if any of his back ended contract.

By the sounds of it, Brisbane would be well inclined to accept a lesser deal to make that happen, which actually puts us at a disadvantage compared to sides like Melbourne who forward-ended contracts this year to meet the minimum TPP

lemmon
22-09-2010, 09:28 PM
If he can bring this to the table
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efKmVfC5MUo&feature=related
I would be certainly inclined to grab him, fits the mould as a ball runner and line breaker which I think outweigh his deficiencies

Sockeye Salmon
22-09-2010, 11:49 PM
If he can bring this to the table
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efKmVfC5MUo&feature=related
I would be certainly inclined to grab him, fits the mould as a ball runner and line breaker which I think outweigh his deficiencies

Fantstic pace. The kick went through but it was a floater.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-09-2010, 05:18 PM

He's the master of the floater.

We'd need to work hard to improve parts of his game - which may or may not work - but he's got talent (and pace) to burn.

A fit midfield trio of Cooney, Griffen and Sherman would be very exciting and hard to quell. Although, he's probably played better footy as a half forward.

Swoop
23-09-2010, 08:45 PM
He's the master of the floater.

We'd need to work hard to improve parts of his game - which may or may not work - but he's got talent (and pace) to burn.

A fit midfield trio of Cooney, Griffen and Sherman would be very exciting and hard to quell. Although, he's probably played better footy as a half forward.
I would add Higgins into that group as well, next year is a really big year for him personally as he needs to cement himself as primarily a midfielder who can push forward next season.

1eyedog
23-09-2010, 09:57 PM

Tell me one player other than Harvey who moves that quick that doesn't have ordinary disposal.

Wojo, Davey they all butcher it at full tilt

Scorlibo
23-09-2010, 11:29 PM
Tell me one player other than Harvey who moves that quick that doesn't have ordinary disposal.

Wojo, Davey they all butcher it at full tilt

Judd @ West Coast, was why he was such an incredible player. Now he can't get to that pace in the first place.

You're right though, that extreme pace almost always comes at the price of foot skills.

mjp
24-09-2010, 04:38 PM

Peter Matera.

Sedat
24-09-2010, 04:40 PM
Andrew Lovett, probably the best and most balanced kick at pace in the AFL the last few years. Pity his brain is anything but balanced.

1eyedog
24-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Peter Matera.

True. Current player

AndrewP6
24-09-2010, 08:20 PM
Andrew Lovett, probably the best and most balanced kick at pace in the AFL the last few years. Pity his brain is anything but balanced.

He might have to utilise his fast movement skills in prison...IF things don't go his way..

lemmon
24-09-2010, 09:13 PM
He might have to utilise his fast movement skills in prison...IF things don't go his way..

I think his improved ball handling skills may means his pace isnt required

AndrewP6
24-09-2010, 09:20 PM
I think his improved ball handling skills may means his pace isnt required

:D I just spilt a mouthful of Canadian Club reading that. Fortunately not on my new camera!

azabob
24-09-2010, 09:42 PM
:D I just spilt a mouthful of Canadian Club reading that. Fortunately not on my new camera!

Suggest you drop the whole lot! :D

AndrewP6
24-09-2010, 09:57 PM
Suggest you drop the whole lot! :D

Not a CC fan? I like it. Oh well, different strokes...

azabob
25-09-2010, 09:05 AM
Not a CC fan? I like it. Oh well, different strokes...

Yeah not a massive fan, but as you say different folks!

LostDoggy
26-09-2010, 06:11 AM
Reported in the HS that Shermen is mostly to go to the Bulldogs.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/melbourne-targets-north-melbourne-ruckman-david-hale/story-e6frf9jf-1225929447034

GVGjr
26-09-2010, 06:24 AM
Reported in the HS that Shermen is mostly to go to the Bulldogs.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/melbourne-targets-north-melbourne-ruckman-david-hale/story-e6frf9jf-1225929447034

Form all reports it's a significant contract that has to be paid. I wonder what we will have to give up to get him.

chef
26-09-2010, 06:59 AM
Form all reports it's a significant contract that has to be paid. I wonder what we will have to give up to get him.

IMO we will end up giving up our compo pick(which will be pick 27-30 depending on other clubs using theirs). I would be happy with that.

GVGjr
26-09-2010, 08:11 AM
IMO we will end up giving up our compo pick(which will be pick 27-30 depending on other clubs using theirs). I would be happy with that.

It's interesting that Sherman is reportedly on big money (due to a backloaded contract) and the fact that it would appear that money was a primary consideration for the relocation of Harbrow. I guess the money we were offering Harbrow would be directed to Sherman.

I still have some doubts that this will go through but Sherman wouldn't be a bad replacement.

LostDoggy
26-09-2010, 09:03 AM
It's interesting that Sherman is reportedly on big money (due to a backloaded contract) and the fact that it would appear that money was a primary consideration for the relocation of Harbrow. I guess the money we were offering Harbrow would be directed to Sherman.

I still have some doubts that this will go through but Sherman wouldn't be a bad replacement.

I agree, considering how much Sherman is being paid at Brisbane.

But you never know, he may want to leave & get out of the train wreck which is Brisbane & take a pay cut to do it.

LostDoggy
26-09-2010, 09:27 AM
Maybe Brisbane has to pay part of his contract with the deal.

Bulldog Joe
26-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Maybe Brisbane has to pay part of his contract with the deal.

and maybe we can renegotiate over say 4 years to reduce the cap pressure.

Ghost Dog
26-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Just did an image search on Sherman. He loves to show off his chest :)
Whatever we do, in the aftermarth of the goateed one, hope the club instigates a 'no-dickheads' policy from here on end. Keen not to see a repeat of the whole mess this year.

LostDoggy
26-09-2010, 10:17 AM
Just did an image search on Sherman. He loves to show off his chest :)
Whatever we do, in the aftermarth of the goateed one, hope the club instigates a 'no-dickheads' policy from here on end. Keen not to see a repeat.

So did i, might get a few new female members with some of those images...

KT31
26-09-2010, 10:48 AM
So did i, might get a few new female members with some of those images...

Hope Guido doesn't get jelous :D

Ghost Dog
26-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Meh. The Chippendale look makes him look like a bit of a tool

Sigh.... gonna miss Harbrow. Loved watching him play.

immortalmike
26-09-2010, 04:10 PM

Nah, this is Voss we're talking about. It'll be Sherman plus a pick for Tim Callan...;)

LostDoggy
27-09-2010, 08:04 PM
Would be very happy if we could snare Sherman for the Harbrow compensation pick. I think he has alot of upside and could play some consistent footy, especially as an outside player with the likes of Boyd, Cross, Picken and Ward feeding it out to him. I think he is exactly what we need considering eades fast paced game plan and the amount of inside mids that we have including the two father sons.

bornadog
07-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Dogs confident on Sherman
11.01AM 7-10-2010
By Jacqui Reed

The Western Bulldogs are confident of securing the services of Justin Sherman, despite a competitive offer from the Sydney Swans.

The Dogs are keen to recruit a defender with leg speed to replace Jarrod Harbrow, who has signed on with the Gold Coast.

Football Manager James Fantasia has told SEN they believe they can get the deal done.

"Justin has made it pretty clear that a) he wants to go to Melbourne, and b) come to the Western Bulldogs," Fantasia said.

"Look, I'm confident that we can get that deal done. It's just a matter of Brisbane doing due diligence trying to ensure there's no better deals for them on the table

Mantis
07-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Look, I'm confident that we can get that deal done. It's just a matter of Brisbane doing due diligence trying to ensure there's no better deals for them on the table

But reportedly there is.

We have offered pick 28, Sydney have offered pick 21.... To me that's a better deal for Brisbane.

Greystache
07-10-2010, 12:39 PM
But reportedly there is.

We have offered pick 28, Sydney have offered pick 21.... To me that's a better deal for Brisbane.

Other clubs can offer Brisbane whatever they like, if Sherman doesn't want to go there the offers are irrelevant. For all of Brisbane's posturing they're not exactly in a position of power, they can't make him go somewhere he doesn't want to go, and from the reports, they can't afford to let him stay. We should stand firm and just make sure he stays committed to only going to us.

GVGjr
07-10-2010, 12:42 PM
But reportedly there is.

I'm of the opinion that our offer could be improved to the point that the Lions might not have that much of a difference.
They would then accept the Bulldogs offer. One piece of the puzzle still needs to be completed though.

Mantis
07-10-2010, 12:51 PM
I'm of the opinion that our offer could be improved to the point that the Lions might not have that much of a difference.
They would then accept the Bulldogs offer. One piece of the puzzle still needs to be completed though.

Which is?

LostDoggy
07-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Yes GVGjr, please share your knowledge.

mighty_west
07-10-2010, 01:00 PM
Howabout some deal which included an upgrade of our Harbrow round pick for Hawthorn's first round pick and ontrade that for Sherman and Hill to the Hawks?

DOG GOD
07-10-2010, 01:09 PM
Howabout some deal which included an upgrade of our Harbrow round pick for Hawthorn's first round pick and ontrade that for Sherman and Hill to the Hawks?

I think the hawks might be trying to use their 1st pick in a deal for hale.

Doc26
07-10-2010, 01:20 PM

You would imagine the first part at least is what's being worked on.

chef
07-10-2010, 01:54 PM
But reportedly there is.

But if Brisbane hold it for two seasons won't it be pick 19?

Highly unlikely Crazy Vossy will won't to do this but.

Greystache
07-10-2010, 01:56 PM

I'm not keen on that, we'd effectively lose Hill for nothing. Not prepared to give up Hill and a late first round pick for Sherman. Plus I hate trading with Hawthorn.

DOG GOD
07-10-2010, 02:03 PM
Why couldnt Hill have nominated WC and we couldve thrown them Stack and got Mitch Brown for both of them :)

mighty_west
07-10-2010, 02:07 PM
I'm not keen on that, we'd effectively lose Hill for nothing. Not prepared to give up Hill and a late first round pick for Sherman. Plus I hate trading with Hawthorn.

I was thinking about also a swap of other draft picks for an upgrade there as part of a deal.

LostDoggy
07-10-2010, 02:48 PM
3 way....

We lose Hill and Harbrow compo pick and gain north pick 17.
Hawks lose pick 19 for Hill and Hale.
North lose pick 17 and Hale for pick 19 and Harbrow compo pick.

On trade pick 17 to Brisbane for Sherman and Pick 31

DOG GOD
07-10-2010, 02:54 PM
So overall in a nutshell we lose Hill, pick 28?
Gain Sherman and Pick 31

Thats a pretty good deal overall there i reckon.

Mofra
07-10-2010, 03:11 PM
It's not just the Swans that impact on the deal - it's the Lions themselves.
We know they have salary cap issues, we just don't know the extent.
We do know that Fev was on a high salary this year and will now play next year, and that if Clark stays he has a reportedly massive back-end to his salary too.

Can the Lions keep a $400k pa Sherman on the books? I'm not so sure that paying him that much (due to the back-ended deal) when he wants out is a smart thing to do. The Lions would do best to try and negotiate a sweetener to our deal and get the trade done IMO.

The Coon Dog
07-10-2010, 03:28 PM
It's not just the Swans that impact on the deal - it's the Lions themselves.
We know they have salary cap issues, we just don't know the extent.
We do know that Fev was on a high salary this year and will now play next year, and that if Clark stays he has a reportedly massive back-end to his salary too.

Can the Lions keep a $400k pa Sherman on the books? I'm not so sure that paying him that much (due to the back-ended deal) when he wants out is a smart thing to do. The Lions would do best to try and negotiate a sweetener to our deal and get the trade done IMO.
Given Brennan has now been traded to the Gold Coast, it may free up some room in their cap.

divvydan
07-10-2010, 03:33 PM
I believe they can afford him, especially with Brennan now gone but as you say, whether they should try and keep him is another issue when he has stated that he wants out.

Topdog
07-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Given Brennan has now been traded to the Gold Coast, it may free up some room in their cap.

They are reportedly 1 million over.

mighty_west
07-10-2010, 03:38 PM
I believe they can afford him, especially with Brennan now gone but as you say, whether they should try and keep him is another issue when he has stated that he wants out.

I believe he said Bulldogs or stay at Brisbane, but Sydney wasn't an option for him, meaning he would stay up North.

chef
07-10-2010, 03:44 PM

They've known Brennan was going for a couple of months, so this shouldn't change the Sherman trade scenario.

Remi Moses
07-10-2010, 05:15 PM
You would imagine the first part at least is what's being worked on.

That's my thoughts as well.
Has Voss just landed in from Pluto,if he keeps Sherman he'll walk in 12 months for squat!
I wouldn't give Hawthorn a virus

GVGjr
07-10-2010, 06:25 PM
Which is?

It's been blown out of the water today

chef
07-10-2010, 06:36 PM
It's been blown out of the water today

What was?

GVGjr
07-10-2010, 06:37 PM
What was?

A trade that was being touted

LostDoggy
07-10-2010, 06:39 PM
I am still pretty confident that we will land him.

azabob
07-10-2010, 06:55 PM

I am still pretty confident that we will land him.

I'll be surprised if we do get Sherman.

Voss has been quoted saying he will lose either Brennan or Sherman but not both of them.

Brisbane have the upper hand, just like we do with Hill.

LostDoggy
07-10-2010, 07:37 PM
I'll be surprised if we do get Sherman.

Voss has been quoted saying he will lose either Brennan or Sherman but not both of them.

Brisbane have the upper hand, just like we do with Hill.

Sherman doesn't want to go to Sydney, so Brisbane will risk losing him for nothing later on.

The Coon Dog
07-10-2010, 07:39 PM
Sherman doesn't want to go to Sydney, so Brisbane will risk losing him for nothing later on.

And paying a decent salary too.

chef
07-10-2010, 09:06 PM

The Sherman trade?

chef
08-10-2010, 08:05 AM
Sherman demands to be Dog or stay a Lion

JUSTIN SHERMAN may finish trade week where he started it - as a Brisbane Lion - with the Swans told yesterday that he would rather see out the final year of his contract with Brisbane than move to Sydney.

While the Swans remain optimistic they can change the onballer's mind, Sherman reiterated to the Lions that he wishes only to be traded to the Western Bulldogs and will not agree to join the Swans.

The Lions prefer Sydney's offer of pick 21 to the Bulldogs' pledge of a late-20s pick - their compensation selection for losing Jarrod Harbrow to the Gold Coast - but their hand may be forced should the Swans accept Sherman's reluctance and back away.

While the Lions' salary-cap pressures were eased yesterday when they cleared Jared Brennan to the Gold Coast, Sherman's contract is heavily back-ended and they may have no choice but to accept the Bulldogs' offer.

The Bulldogs and Hawthorn were yesterday yet to begin negotiations over forward Josh Hill, whose manager indicated to the Hawks yesterday that he would like to cross there, despite having a year to run on his contract.

In other trade news:

■ Neither Adelaide nor Carlton was budging over ruckman Sam Jacobs, the Blues insisting on a first-round pick and the Crows offering a second-round choice (around No. 33). The Crows were hopeful a deal would be brokered by Monday.

■ Another player to be pre-listed by Gold Coast - North Ballarat defender Cam Richardson - has told the club he wants only to be drafted to North Melbourne, the Roosters' AFL affiliate.

■ Nathan Djerrkura remains likely to end up at either the Western Bulldogs or Hawthorn, with the Cats keen to get that deal moving soon.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/sherman-demands-to-be-dog-or-stay-a-lion-20101007-169sf.html

dogman
08-10-2010, 08:47 AM
Atleast he's doing his bit, now for the Lions to play ball.

bornadog
08-10-2010, 08:49 AM

Isn't it great players WANT to come to the dogs.

Desipura
08-10-2010, 09:19 AM
Sherman is in a similar situation to Hill,
has 1 year to run on his contract
has nominated the club he wants to play for
if both us and Lions refuse to trade the players, we risk losing them next year for nothing as uncontracted players.
I think deals will be done, one in our favour (Sherman) and the other in Hawks favour Hill (unfortunately)

dogman
08-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Sherman is in a similar situation to Hill,
has 1 year to run on his contract
has nominated the club he wants to play for
if both us and Lions refuse to trade the players, we risk losing them next year for nothing as uncontracted players.
I think deals will be done, one in our favour (Sherman) and the other in Hawks favour Hill (unfortunately)

If Hawks only offer us a 3rd round pick then I rather keep him for a year and see if he can improve or keep him for depth. Especially in this years draft.
He should get more games next year with Eagle, Johno, Everitt and Aker gone. I can't see us getting a compo pick less then a 3rd rounder next year if he goes to the GWS.

Greystache
08-10-2010, 12:00 PM

Indeed, who ever is managing Sherman from our side (assuming Fantasia?) is doing an excellent job of it!

Murphy'sLore
08-10-2010, 12:49 PM
Quick work with the avatar, Greystache!

KT31
08-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Sherman only wants to be a Dog.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/103903/default.aspx

LostDoggy
08-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Sherman only wants to be a Dog.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/103903/default.aspx

Must have spoken to Acker

Remi Moses
08-10-2010, 03:09 PM
Vossy doesn't want to lose both yet he is keeping a guy for another 12 months!!:confused:

Greystache
08-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Vossy doesn't want to lose both yet he is keeping a guy for another 12 months!!:confused:

Maybe the club are- "We know you want to leave Shermo because you hate Vossy, but you have a year left on your contract and so does he, when you're contract is up you might feel differently about staying (wink)."

Mantis
08-10-2010, 03:17 PM
Maybe the club are- "We know you want to leave Shermo because you hate Vossy, but you have a year left on your contract and so does he, when you're contract is up you might feel differently about staying (wink)."

Nice story, but Sherman has 2 more years left on his contract.

And Crazy Vossy is there for ever.

The Adelaide Connection
08-10-2010, 03:32 PM

Ha! I like it. :)

Greystache
08-10-2010, 04:28 PM

You mean until the club folds?

If Crazy Vossy keeps driving the bus that could be before Sherman's contract is finished! :eek: