PDA

View Full Version : How good was Liam Picken on Saturday night?

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 12:59 PM
In what was another sad Preliminary Final loss, what stood out for me was Liam Pickens game. He was hard at it and I loved it when he went on with a few tackles even though the game was already lost. He's got that bit of mongrel in him, is fearless and he has probably been the highlight of the season in my opinion. I think he, along with The Beard will be a good chance for our best and fairest. Any thoughts? :)

always right
20-09-2010, 01:04 PM
Top 10 in my view. He's been great and I admire him so much. Plays like there's no tomorrow.

EasternWest
20-09-2010, 01:07 PM
No, it's not how good was Liam Picken. It's how good is Liam Picken?

Coaches must love guys like that. You know what you'll get every time.

Mofra
20-09-2010, 01:24 PM
Liam Picken is a little different to the guys who scrape out an AFL career - he has legspeed and his kicking for goal is excellent. Definately a good find.

bornadog
20-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Apparently was knocked out in the 2nd quarter. I love this kid.

choconmientay
20-09-2010, 01:29 PM
It is too early to start pushing Liam Picken for number 6 guernsey ?!

The Bulldogs Bite
20-09-2010, 01:29 PM
How the hell did he not get picked up earlier?

He's a gun. He really doesn't have too many weaknesses - if any?

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 01:33 PM
It is too early to start pushing Liam Picken for number 6 guernsey ?!

I'm hoping that will happen at some stage. I have no. 6 on my guernsey already and I think he's now my new favourite player. Would make things easy!! :D

cinder
20-09-2010, 01:43 PM
He's certainly got some grit, love how he just keeps on getting up!

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 01:47 PM
How the hell did he not get picked up earlier?

Recruiters are all about finding guns (builds their reputation), so get hung-up on things like potential up-side, body shape, elite aerobic capacity, and all these types of things, so that unfashionable guys like Liam who won't be in the top 10 lists of any one thing will be marked down as 'too average at too many things' -- I guess these guys see so many potential recruits that sometimes they just have to shorthand a lot of the guesswork and these 'okay at everything but not elite at anything' type players slip through the cracks.

Liam also doesn't have any flashy aspects to his game or personality, and doesn't have the most photogenic physique, so it takes a bit of insight to see his hard work, application, and quality.

ps. This is why it always makes me laugh when people write off a guy based on the fact that '16 clubs passed him up', or use that thinking to justify crap recruiting.