PDA

View Full Version : Why our future is bright

Desipura
20-09-2010, 04:25 PM
I would argue our future looks bight due to the future leaders at our club. It is something we are lacking within our current group, depth of leadership across the board.

With a never say die attitude. I believe our next generation has it in spades.

Picken – Hates losing, came back on after being concussed.

Ward – Lifted in the 2nd biggest game of the year, future leader written all over him

Wood – Played the 2nd half with broken ribs, love the way he takes the opposition on.
I was glad to read the article where he mentioned how he and the players are hurting from the loss. For someone so young (21yo) shows a lot of maturity.

Reid – Played on against Collingwood after having both his shoulders busted. That is true courage. An ideal replacement for Cross.

Griffen – I thought he took his game to another level during the finals series. This guy had to step up when Cooney went down and I am glad to say he did it with flying colors. Played with an injury but stood up for us when required.

Cooney – we sadly missed his class and leadership in September, has plenty of footy ahead of him.

Higgins – was severely restricted by injury this year, in fact has not had a free run at it yet. Is due for a change of luck.
I don’t know the full extent of his injuries this year. Two years ago, he was often talked about as a future captain, an injury free year and we will see his true potential. You do not lose your ability in one year.

Cross - diving on the ball in the last quarter with no fear is proof what real leaders do even when the side is down by 5 goals with minutes to go. He is a great example for the young leaders of tomorrow.

If the above (excluding Cross, Griffen & Cooney to an extent) develop their leadership skills rapidly, there is no reason why we cannot take that extra step in September in 12 months time. We would have a lot more depth than we currently have in the leadership group.
If whatever reason the above do not develop as quickly as I expect them to, we may struggle to play a significant part in September. I am confident they have what it takes.

Add Roughead who has shown he will he could well become a future leader, the addition of Wallis (captain of Calder, and BOG in a grand final) and Libba holds us in good stead for the long term future of our club.

Mofra
20-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Good idea.

I had just posted something similar in terms of our depth players.
Premierships seem to be decided by the guys in the 18-22 bracket in terms of their place in the side, not the best 5 or 10 players on the list.
In the 2010 finals series we've been exposed for depth, not top line talent - the selection of Callan (only game for the year) and a debutant (Hooper) confirm this.

What gives me hope for next year is that our "fringe" list seems to be getting younger - Skipper for Roughy, Eagleton for Moles (and hopefully next year Wallis for a few games), Aker for Hooper, Callan for Wood (now established).

Guys who have intensity issues are on the outer - we cut McMahon, Hill & Everitt are trade-bait. We've had years of no real KPP save for Lake - a spine of Lake, Williams, Jones & hall looks much better than it has for years (arguably decades). Morris can play on those who better match his type, and not monsters.
We have a genuine, lightening fast, freaky marking type in the F50 who can also crumb (Grant).

bornadog
20-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Don't forget our forward line will have Grant and Jones, two young guys who have shown ability. Hooper may develop into a small forward which we need and have lacked all year. Add to the list Tommy Williams who is still only 24 years old. If Everiit can lift his inensity, we have another 21 year old tall.

Still to come, but unknown, Ayce, Wallis, Libba, Howard and Tutt.

Desipura
20-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Don't forget our forward line will have Grant and Jones, two young guys who have shown ability. Hooper may develop into a small forward which we need and have lacked all year. Add to the list Tommy Williams who is still only 24 years old. If Everiit can lift his inensity, we have another 21 year old tall.

Still to come, but unknown, Ayce, Wallis, Libba, Howard and Tutt.
Im talking more about leadership than players who can play. Its too early for me to say whether the likes of Jones or Grant can become future leaders.

bornadog
20-09-2010, 04:36 PM
Im talking more about leadership than players who can play. Its too early for me to say whether the likes of Jones or Grant can become future leaders.

Sorry I misunderstood, I thought you were talking about the future of the club band the players we have. Agree with the players you mention as possible future leaders.

I would make Cooney Captain now and send a message that we are looking at a youthful future.