PDA

View Full Version : Leon Cameron is now gone.

G-Mo77
21-09-2010, 06:04 PM
It's been rumored for a while but now is official. According to the Bulldogs Facebook page he's off to Hawthorn

Leon Cameron has today stepped down from his role as a Senior Assistant Coach and will join the Hawks next year. He will be sorely missed by everyone at the Club, but it is a great opportunity to bring in some new blood! Any thoughts on who we should be chasing?

comrade
21-09-2010, 06:08 PM
Good decision.

LostDoggy
21-09-2010, 06:08 PM
Wasn't it only a couple of weeks ago that he came out and slammed people for started rumours? cant remember his actual words though.

chef
21-09-2010, 06:10 PM
Good decision.

Yep, he could be back in a year or two and the experience elsewhere will be good for him.

Scraggers
21-09-2010, 06:10 PM
He's a fantastic bloke and I wish him all the best in his future ...

To answer the OPs question ... Chocco Royal, Scott West

The Pie Man
21-09-2010, 06:12 PM
Simon Goodwin?

Greystache
21-09-2010, 06:14 PM
It is a great opportunity to bring in some new blood![/i]

Good decision.

Do you think we might start seeing some now?

G-Mo77
21-09-2010, 06:15 PM
Simon Goodwin?

There was a little article a while back in one of the papers about Goodwin coming to us.

comrade
21-09-2010, 06:18 PM
Do you think we might start seeing some now?

I think it’s easy to fall back on tried and trusted players when you’ve been around for a while. My hope is that we choose a coach with no Bulldogs links and a strong personality, preferably from a successful system (St Kilda, Sydney, Geelong, Collingwod).

GVGjr
21-09-2010, 06:18 PM
I'm rarely happy to hear of a departure of a favorite son but I think losing Cameron is a good one for us. He was touted as the next senior coach but from what I know, we would do better......a lot better with someone else.

All the best Leon.

comrade
21-09-2010, 06:20 PM
No Johnno, no Eagleton, No Cameron.

The Club is going to feel a lot different next year.

chef
21-09-2010, 06:22 PM
I'm rarely happy to hear of a departure of a favorite son but I think losing Cameron is a good one for us. He was touted as the next senior coach but from what I know, we would do better......a lot better with someone else.

All the best Leon.

Any chance on letting us know what you know?

EasternWest
21-09-2010, 06:24 PM
No Johnno, no Eagleton, No Cameron.

The Club is going to feel a lot different next year.

No premiership either, so maybe not so much :(.

GVGjr
21-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Any chance on letting us know what you know?

It's pretty much that he didn't have the ability or the communication skills to step up to the top job and I don't think he was that great in his current position.

Sockeye Salmon
21-09-2010, 06:35 PM
Being a favorite son is not an essential pre-requisite.

Best person for the job rather than 'my favorite former player', please.

ledge
21-09-2010, 06:35 PM
Montyyyyy!!

GVGjr
21-09-2010, 06:36 PM

Ditto. It's great if it's both but we need a real strong senior assistant coach right now

Remi Moses
21-09-2010, 06:36 PM
Let's just get the best available and not just a favorite son.
Simon Goodwin anyone?

chef
21-09-2010, 06:37 PM
It's pretty much that he didn't have the ability or the communication skills to step up to the top job and I don't think he was that great in his current position.

Thanks mate.

GVGjr
21-09-2010, 06:38 PM
Simon Goodwin anyone?

Based on what though? We currently have one position and it's for the 2IC spot unless you think Dean or Williams are up to it.

I don't think we can add an untested coach unless we land a strong 2IC.

w3design
21-09-2010, 06:43 PM
Why Goodwin? Genuine question, don't know a lot about him apart from deeds on field.

LostDoggy
21-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Saw Laidley last Friday at dogs training... might be very good for us

azabob
21-09-2010, 07:49 PM
Why Goodwin? Genuine question, don't know a lot about him apart from deeds on field.

With Goodwin I personally think posters are puting one and one together and getting 5.

It all started when we played Adelaide in Adelaide and James Fantasisa(ex adelaide) was doing media and he was asked would Simon Goodwin make a good coach and his response Yes- surprise surprise.

So not sure if he is earmarked to come to us but we need a senior assistant coach who isn't afraid to challenge Eade and Co.

azabob
21-09-2010, 07:52 PM

Ditto. It's great if it's both but we need a real strong senior assistant coach right now

Totally agree.

Is Eade willing or able to have a strong senior assistant coach to challenge his ideas and his selections?

If not, Rose and Fantasia need to tell Eade bad luck this is the way it is.

Doc26
21-09-2010, 07:57 PM
Simon Goodwin anyone?

I can recall mid season Scott Burn's being out of contract with the Eagles at season's end.

I know Buckley was keen to bring him over as an assistant under him although not sure where all this ended up. Maybe it's a done deal.

He is regarded highly by Malthouse and the Pies.

If he remains unsigned I'd be feeling him out before pursuing an untried Goodwin.

Edit: i've just read an article from Nisbett where Burn's has re - signed with the Eagles into 2011 so wouldn't appear an option although no doubt will return to the Pies when Buckley takes over in 2012

Hotdog60
21-09-2010, 08:05 PM
What about elevation of German, he did alright with Willy this year. Although they did bomb out of the finals.

Throughandthrough
21-09-2010, 08:08 PM
Nathan Bassett has transformed Norwood in the SANFL, speaks very clearly and positivly, is being lauded by all as a certain future AFL coach.

Go_Dogs
21-09-2010, 08:10 PM
Nathan Bassett has transformed Norwood in the SANFL, speaks very clearly and positivly, is being lauded by all as a certain future AFL coach.

I endorse this post. Bassett could be a very good get.

I'd certainly be looking for a non-Bulldog person, and preferably someone from either Collingwood or Adelaide - two clubs which I view as having a lot of knowledge and professionalism which could be of benefit to our mix.

An outsider is a must IMO.

Raw Toast
21-09-2010, 08:15 PM
I'd like someone from Collingwood (eg Mark Neeld :)), or the Saints if possible with the Hawks and Geelong also of interest. If we could someone with knowledge of the injury management regimes at the Swans or Saints that would also be a bonus imo.

alwaysadog
21-09-2010, 08:47 PM
but we need a senior assistant coach who isn't afraid to challenge Eade and Co.

He'll quickly learn that's a futile and fruitless orientation.

Doc26
21-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Totally agree.

Is Eade willing or able to have a strong senior assistant coach to challenge his ideas and his selections?

If not, Rose and Fantasia need to tell Eade bad luck this is the way it is.

And that is assuming he is strong enough to sit Rodney down.

AndrewP6
21-09-2010, 10:21 PM
Wasn't it only a couple of weeks ago that he came out and slammed people for started rumours? cant remember his actual words though.

Yes, it was rumoured, he put it down to 'innuendo' (which I stupidly mentioned here!) and now backflips.

ReLoad
21-09-2010, 10:25 PM
The answer is simple and comes down to three.

Brett Kirk, Simon Goodwin and if the budget can stretch that far, Dean Laidley.

Greystache
21-09-2010, 10:41 PM
The answer is simple and comes down to three.

Brett Kirk, Simon Goodwin and if the budget can stretch that far, Dean Laidley.

Dean Laidley would be great if we could get him.

LostDoggy
21-09-2010, 10:52 PM

I think they were at North at the same time (player/ Assistant coach) and they seemed chummy last Friday at training

SlimPickens
21-09-2010, 11:15 PM

Absolutely the other one would be Leigh Tudor, not sure on his movements.

lemmon
22-09-2010, 02:02 AM
Dean Laidley would be nice, Choco Royal seems to be always in and around senior coaching vacancies so perhaps a move back to the kennel wouldnt be a bad thing for either party.

LostDoggy
22-09-2010, 09:05 AM
I think Brett Kirk brings some new idea's to the table and may help with the clique at the Dogs.

Sedat
22-09-2010, 10:40 AM
I think it’s easy to fall back on tried and trusted players when you’ve been around for a while. My hope is that we choose a coach with no Bulldogs links and a strong personality, preferably from a successful system (St Kilda, Sydney, Geelong, Collingwod).
Could one of the current assistants make the step up to 2IC?

Topdog
22-09-2010, 10:45 AM
What about elevation of German, he did alright with Willy this year. Although they did bomb out of the finals.

Absolutely not IMO. We need someone from outside the club.

comrade
22-09-2010, 10:57 AM
Could one of the current assistants make the step up to 2IC?

I don't think so.

mighty_west
22-09-2010, 11:55 AM
I wish Leon all the best, he is a good Footscray man.

azabob
22-09-2010, 08:44 PM
How about Gerard FitzGerald from North Ballarat? He habours desires to coach at AFL level.

Bumper Bulldogs
22-09-2010, 09:18 PM
I would love a real hard nut. The type of player of a Hardwick, Scott or Clarkson.

Not sure who's around but I would love to see a hard edge come in and work with the young group of guys as we will have alot of new blood over the next couple of years.

dogman
22-09-2010, 10:20 PM
I just hope they go for best available not most affordable.