PDA

View Full Version : Captain Poll

boydogs
22-09-2010, 11:29 PM
A few posters have asked for this, so here it is
I have added all the options I can recall being mentioned, except Mitch Wallis as I was limited to 10 & can't see that one happening, but feel free to make your own suggestions

Also, does anyone know when we are likely to hear who has been chosen?

bornadog
22-09-2010, 11:41 PM
Cooney for mine. I think its time to look to the future and youth, and Cooney is ideal. Handles himself well in the media, shows leadership on the ground, an explosive player and can captain the team for many years to come.

The Coon Dog
22-09-2010, 11:42 PM
Likewise, Coons for me.

Greystache
22-09-2010, 11:46 PM
Dale Morris for mine.

In Order of preference
Morris
Cooney
Griffin
Murphy
Cross
Boyd
Picken

Giansiracusa

comrade
22-09-2010, 11:47 PM
My vote's obvious, but my second choice would be Cooney.

BulldogBelle
23-09-2010, 12:09 AM
Bob Murphy or Giansiracusa for me.

Dale is a bit too introverted me thinks, he is a star and still a fine choice however.

Being captain could Make Giansiracusa.

Robert Murphy is a perfect candidate imo.

Barry Hall is a pretty overlooked one, but he obviously doesn't 'bleed red white and blue' quite yet like some of our other blokes. He'd get the job done though, and who would argue? :D

Flamethrower
23-09-2010, 12:44 AM
Dale Morris for me. I heard an interview with him before the Collingwood final and was very impressed by him. He reminds me a lot of Tom Harley or Nick Maxwell.

I would have Coons and Grif as his deputies, with Cal Ward and Shiggy next in line.

G-Mo77
23-09-2010, 01:33 AM
Dale Morris all the way! No second choice he's got to be our Captain!

LostDoggy
23-09-2010, 09:08 AM
I went with Daniel Cross. Bulldog, through and through. Callan Ward will make a marvellous career-long captain in another year or so. Therefore, Crossy as an interim captain in 2011. :)

LostDoggy
23-09-2010, 09:16 AM
Dale Morris all the way! No second choice he's got to be our Captain!

Agree. Has 'leadership' written all over him.

Mantis
23-09-2010, 09:52 AM
I went for Adam Cooney.

He is our best player and is the type who can 'will' us to victory.

I think the extra responsibility would be good for his footy too.

gohardorgohome
23-09-2010, 09:53 AM
As far as onfield consistancy and a no fuss approach I think Morris gets my vote.

Its very hard for someone who does not play or team with a sports team at any level to know who would be the best choice of Captain.

There are many cases in footy where the best player can be a moron with no leadership and people skills whatsoever.

EasternWest
23-09-2010, 09:56 AM
As far as onfield consistancy and a no fuss approach I think Morris gets my vote.

Its very hard for someone who does not play or team with a sports team at any level to know who would be the best choice of Captain.

There are many cases in footy where the best player can be a moron with no leadership and people skills whatsoever.

That's very true. But I can't pick any morons out of the group of guys listed in this poll (who most would accept as being those in the mix). Nor do I think any of those guys lack leadership qualities.

OLD SCRAGGer
23-09-2010, 09:59 AM
In order of preferance:

1 Bob Murphy
2 Matty Boyd
3 "G" Man
4 Coons
5 Dale
6 Griff
7 Pickers
8 Higgo
9 Cal Ward
10 Crossy

LostDoggy
23-09-2010, 10:07 AM
Any idea when this will be announced? B&F Night?

comrade
23-09-2010, 10:08 AM
In order of preferance:

1 Bob Murphy
2 Matty Boyd
3 "G" Man
4 Coons
5 Dale
6 Griff
7 Pickers
8 Higgo
9 Cal Ward
10 Crossy

Why is Bob Murphy the best candidate - in your eyes?

Sockeye Salmon
23-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Why do people think your best player should be captain?

I have a problem with people who think a captain needs to do amazing things and pull you out of the shit with their amazing captainness. It is the responsibility of every player to make a difference when we are in the shit - no-one gets to say, 'I don't have to do it, I'm not captain'.

Nick Riewoldt can do amazing things, not because he is an amazing captain but because he is an amazing player. Do you think he would be any less amazing if Lenny Hayes was captain?

The only amazing thing Nick Maxwell will ever do is get appointed captain in the first place, but he seems to be a pretty good choice considering he might just get to hold up a cup in a few days time. He speaks well and his team seem to respect him. Just don't hold your breath waiting for him turn a game with his brilliance.

It's on the training track and off the field where a real leader leads. By setting the example by never taking a shortcut at training, by eating the right things, by not getting pissed and ending up in the paper and yes, by talking the good talk in meetings.

When Chris Judd questioned Andrew Carazzo’s decision to order a bowl of chips Judd was being a captain; when he burst from the centre for his dozenth clearance he was being a star. When he was handcuffing himself to a rookie while they got him plastered he was being a dick.

Ozza
23-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Listening to Mick Malthouse speak on SEN on Saturday - I was completely captivated by him talking about the Collingwood leadership group.

Out of the many things he talked about - one that stood out was Mick saying that as a coach you put a message and a game plan out there- it is becomes the leadership group's responsibility to sell that to the players and make sure everyone is on board with what we (they) are trying to do.

In line with what Sockeye has said above - its about commanding respect with voice and direction - and getting all of the players on the right path. For that reason - it is quite obvious that those inside the club would know best who to pick as captain.

The two most criticised choices of captains in recent years have been Tom Harley and Nick Maxwell - because people thought they were 'just players', back pocket, servicable etc.. And they have turned out to be wonderful captains. Maxwell in particular exudes leadership in every way - and has become an absolutely exceptional defender, who keeps their structure together down back.

We all have our opinions on who is best suited to the role - but from inside the club - they have the most informed opinion and they will make the right call.

comrade
23-09-2010, 10:48 AM

I have a problem with people who think a captain needs to do amazing things and pull you out of the shit with their amazing captainness. It is the responsibility of every player to make a difference when we are in the shit - no-one gets to say, 'I don't have to do it, I'm not captain'.

With the best captains, it's more like "I better do it, or I'll let down the Skipper, who does it every week".

As we have seen over the past 3 years, eating the right things, not taking short cuts and holding amazing team meetings has done nothing to assist us when we're in the shit in a cut throat final.

I know you'll argue that we just weren't good enough, but our playing group goes to water under pressure and the guys who have been appointed leaders - the best players at the club - have gone missing.

I feel terrible in saying it but there is probably a reason why our defensive pressure was terrible this year. Johnno has never been one for maniacal tackling and the stats suggest this mindset (and tackling is a mindset) has filtered through the squad.

stefoid
23-09-2010, 10:57 AM
Murph speaks well and he can capture the emotional significance of things. He might be able to bond the team better than most.

It might make him a better player too - I noticed he was a lot more physical this final series than he has been. If someone with Cross physique can throw himself around like a madman, so can Murph, once he gets better at those sorts of skills.

Im not sure what Cross would be like in person, but he and Morris share the 'do or die for the team' ethic that you want to see in a captain.

Mantis
23-09-2010, 11:00 AM

Nick Riewoldt can do amazing things, not because he is an amazing captain but because he is an amazing player. Do you think he would be any less amazing if Lenny Hayes was captain?

The only amazing thing Nick Maxwell will ever do is get appointed captain in the first place, but he seems to be a pretty good choice considering he might just get to hold up a cup in a few days time. He speaks well and his team seem to respect him. Just don't hold your breath waiting for him turn a game with his brilliance.

It's on the training track and off the field where a real leader leads. By setting the example by never taking a shortcut at training, by eating the right things, by not getting pissed and ending up in the paper and yes, by talking the good talk in meetings.

When Chris Judd questioned Andrew Carazzo’s decision to order a bowl of chips Judd was being a captain; when he burst from the centre for his dozenth clearance he was being a star. When he was handcuffing himself to a rookie while they got him plastered he was being a dick.

So who is your choice SS?

Ozza
23-09-2010, 11:03 AM
Murph speaks well and he can capture the emotional significance of things. He might be able to bond the team better than most.

It might make him a better player too - I noticed he was a lot more physical this final series than he has been. If someone with Cross physique can throw himself around like a madman, so can Murph, once he gets better at those sorts of skills.

Im not sure what Cross would be like in person, but he and Morris share the 'do or die for the team' ethic that you want to see in a captain.

I've always seen Bob Murphy as a very very courageous player, and no different this year.

Mofra
23-09-2010, 11:17 AM
By strict definition, anyone promoted to the leadership group ceases to be a captain and becomes a commander due to inferred repsonsibilities. he strength of the group is more important than a single appointment.
In any case, I chose Boyd simply because he seems the most likely candidate.

comrade
23-09-2010, 11:20 AM
By strict definition, anyone promoted to the leadership group ceases to be a captain and becomes a commander due to inferred repsonsibilities. he strength of the group is more important than a single appointment.
In any case, I chose Boyd simply because he seems the most likely candidate.

So, Boyd is your preferred choice?

Mofra
23-09-2010, 11:23 AM
So, Boyd is your preferred choice?
I'm leaning towards Boyd because he seems to have a certain intensity that I don't see in Cooney or Murphy. He is also a training fanatic which I think is important in terms of setting the off-field example.
I know this will upset a few, but Morris appears to be a pure backline stopper and the defenders that tend to make good captains tend to be less-lockdown types. Boyd will find himself all over the field at different points in time.

Sockeye Salmon
23-09-2010, 11:33 AM
So who is your choice SS?

I've no idea.

As just a supporter, I don't know what goes on behind closed doors.

I know Rocket loves Gia but I also know he is worried about Gia's hip.

Boyd and Cross are the two who lead on the track. If I had to come up with a name it would be one of them.

Cross isn't a natural speaker but goes to extraordinary lengths to be prepared. He installed a machine to automatically ice his injured ankle while he slept for instance (there wasn't enough room in the bed for both the machine and the wife so one of them had to go - you know which he chose).

Cross is also my out-and-out favorite player, so in the best Woof traditions - Cross :D

comrade
23-09-2010, 11:36 AM
I'm leaning towards Boyd because he seems to have a certain intensity that I don't see in Cooney or Murphy. He is also a training fanatic which I think is important in terms of setting the off-field example.
I know this will upset a few, but Morris appears to be a pure backline stopper and the defenders that tend to make good captains tend to be less-lockdown types. Boyd will find himself all over the field at different points in time.

Boyd has some great attributes but his last 6 weeks in general were atrocious which has turned me off big time. If a captain is all about setting standards, repeatedly ignoring your direct opponent whilst he tears us apart doesn't send a good message.

Picken has had to pick up the slack on more than one occasion because Boyd couldn't get it done. That should embarrass Boyd.

I don't get the correlation between loose men in defense and being a good captain. Morris is the general and leader of the back 6, and still helps out his teammates usually whilst taking the best forward. Harley, Maxwell and Morris are all inspirational in their own way due to their work rate, attitude and personality - not the position they play*

* I'm obviously a Morris supporter so everything I say is biased which I'm happy to acknowledge.

Mantis
23-09-2010, 12:24 PM
Boyd has some great attributes but his last 6 weeks in general were atrocious which has turned me off big time. If a captain is all about setting standards, repeatedly ignoring your direct opponent whilst he tears us apart doesn't send a good message.

Picken has had to pick up the slack on more than one occasion because Boyd couldn't get it done. That should embarrass Boyd.

I don't get the correlation between loose men in defense and being a good captain. Morris is the general and leader of the back 6, and still helps out his teammates usually whilst taking the best forward. Harley, Maxwell and Morris are all inspirational in their own way due to their work rate, attitude and personality - not the position they play*

* I'm obviously a Morris supporter so everything I say is biased which I'm happy to acknowledge.

Agree with this in that Boyd's finish to the year was extremely poor, but could this have something to do with the team being without it's best midfielder (Cooney) through this period?

Boyd subconsciously may have tried to play a different style of game to help minimise the loss of Coon, but in doing so went away from what he is good at and forgot to guard his opponent.

If this theory has merit it will be interesting to see if Boyd can go back to playing a more accountable game when we get our best midfielder back on the park next season.

comrade
23-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Agree with this in that Boyd's finish to the year was extremely poor, but could this have something to do with the team being without it's best midfielder (Cooney) through this period?

Boyd subconsciously may have tried to play a different style of game to help minimise the loss of Coon, but in doing so went away from what he is good at and forgot to guard his opponent.

If this theory has merit it will be interesting to see if Boyd can go back to playing a more accountable game when we get our best midfielder back on the park next season.

If so, the coaching staff failed to reign him in. I would have hoped that seeing your opponents stats in the paper next day would have been a wake up call.

Either way, his performance in both the QF and PF cost us big time.

Mofra
23-09-2010, 12:30 PM

Fair comments, although I think Lake is far more the general of the backline than Morris.
I'm hesitant for pure stoppers to be Captain as I think the role demands 100% concentration, as a few seconds of losing your opponent can be devasttaing on the last line of defence (Nick Davis' 4 goals in a quarter was the difference between losing a Prelim and a GF appearance).

FWIW I am probably swayed by Ling's form this year as Geelong Captain - yes pace issues paid a part, but I think there is a concentration issue as well that being captain contributed to.

Mantis
23-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Fair comments, although I think Lake is far more the general of the backline than Morris.

Completely incorrect.

Morris is the player barking instructions to his team-mates, Brian is the guy just doing his own thing (usually pretty well).

LostDoggy
23-09-2010, 12:44 PM
I voted Cooney, because he has an X-factor with his performance and off the field in the media aswell. He would be a great face for the club and the players I reckon.
Though I believe Cooney is my choice of Captain, I do think the club will sway to the likes of Boyd, Gia or Morris. The leaders they have looked to in the past when Johnno was out with injury.

comrade
23-09-2010, 12:45 PM
I voted Cooney, because he has an X-factor with his performance and off the field in the media aswell. He would be a great face for the club and the players I reckon.
Though I believe Cooney is my choice of Captain, I do think the club will sway to the likes of Boyd, Gia or Morris. The leaders they have looked to in the past when Johnno was out with injury.

When has Morris captained a game in Johnno's absence?

azabob
23-09-2010, 12:46 PM

Never, always been rotated between Giansiracusia and Boyd.

LostDoggy
23-09-2010, 01:14 PM
I thought I would pick Dale but upon contemplation Boyd would probably be a better leader.

More important to me I would like Callan Ward to be vice captain. I started saying this last year. I feel the guy could be the next 300 game superstar bulldog. Captain himself in 4-5.

My pessimistic side says they will go Captain: Gia and Vice: Boyd. I think this would be a mistake due to a seeming lack of accountability on the big stage.

EasternWest
23-09-2010, 01:18 PM
I thought I would pick Dale but upon contemplation Boyd would probably be a better leader.

More important to me I would like Callan Ward to be vice captain. I started saying this last year. I feel the guy could be the next 300 game superstar bulldog. Captain himself in 4-5.

My pessimistic side says they will go Captain: Gia and Vice: Boyd. I think this would be a mistake due to a seeming lack of accountability on the big stage.

If Cal is fit enough next year, I would love for him to be VC.

Curly5
23-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Never, always been rotated between Giansiracusia and Boyd.

That might tell us something. :) I voted for Gia (you knew I would) but I would be happy with Boyd. Realistically, it's between these two, no matter how much we admire others.

LongWait
23-09-2010, 02:08 PM
Cooney if he wants it - I believe he recently stated that he felt he might be ready if the club wanted him to do it.

1eyedog
23-09-2010, 02:17 PM
That might tell us something. :) I voted for Gia (you knew I would) but I would be happy with Boyd. Realistically, it's between these two, no matter how much we admire others.

Well that is a sorry state of affairs. Although I do agree with you on it. I think for the majority of people on WOOF their assessment on who should be captain goes beyond those we simply admire. It has got to do with a number of on-field and off-field factors and then there are the in-club intangibles that we are not privvy to.

Griffen and Cooney are my favourite players and Cross is my most admired, but Morris will make the best captain at the club IMO. I have referred to why I think this in other threads.

Again, not being privvy to inside information makes my opinion a subjective assessment of what I think of him on the playing field and what sort of bloke (strength of character and personality) I think he is off it.

OLD SCRAGGer
23-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Why is Bob Murphy the best candidate - in your eyes?

I just believe he has captaincy written all over him. He's a GREAT player, Loyal, be here for 10 years, OH YES & I LOVE HIM!!!:D

LostDoggy
23-09-2010, 02:39 PM

I didnt use the word 'captain', i used the term 'leaders' because Morris is a very important part of the leadership group. If there was a third captain to be put up for consideration this year other than Boyd and Gia i would of thought Morris would have been that person.

LostDoggy
23-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Uncle Sam (or me) voted for Morris. Would be very happy to see him lead us out in 2011. Similar reasons to those that have already been said, and I think he does well on the odd occasion you see him in an interview, seems very level headed ;)

WBFC4EVER
23-09-2010, 06:15 PM
Morris for me but maybe we need joint captains, given he doesn't really have the profile in terms of representing the club. In that case, have Morris and Murphy/Cooney, who acquit themselves well in public.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-09-2010, 06:25 PM
I voted Cooney, he's the right age and he's our most influential player.

Morris a clear second.

comrade
23-09-2010, 09:49 PM
Funny that the two runaway favourites in this poll probably won't get a look in.

Just highlights the disparity between what the supporters see and value compared to the Club.

Greystache
23-09-2010, 09:55 PM
Funny that the two runaway favourites in this poll probably won't get a look in.

Just highlights the disparity between what the supporters see and value compared to the Club.

Just goes to show that supporters value on field deeds where as the clubs value words in a team meeting.

Go_Dogs
23-09-2010, 09:56 PM
Voted Cooney, and agree with what's below:

Cooney for mine. I think its time to look to the future and youth, and Cooney is ideal. Handles himself well in the media, shows leadership on the ground, an explosive player and can captain the team for many years to come.

LostDoggy
23-09-2010, 11:15 PM
FWIW I've voted Morris

I love the way he lets his actions speak loud, the way he gets the job done without drawing attention just to himself, and the way he puts the club first (based on my observations of him). You'll never see him checking himself out on the big screen, never hear of him doing the wrong thing, or doing anything inappropriate.

EasternWest
23-09-2010, 11:35 PM
FWIW I've voted Morris

I love the way he lets his actions speak loud, the way he gets the job done without drawing attention just to himself, and the way he puts the club first (based on my observations of him). You'll never see him checking himself out on the big screen, never hear of him doing the wrong thing, or doing anything inappropriate.

Brian Lake does this all the time, and nobody comments or criticises him for it. And he's not alone. As far as a measuring stick for the quality of a person, it's a pretty flimsy one.

If you've got a criticism of someone fine, but make it relevant to football and why/why not they should/should not be captain.

LostDoggy
24-09-2010, 10:30 AM
FWIW, Morris got my vote, with Boyd or Cooney coming in a close second. I love the way The Glove plays, he appears to marshall the blokes down back all the time. He gives his all, and whilst I have never heard him speak in public, the impression I get is that is would be a good leader. I think he would command respect from the players.

Mofra
24-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Brian Lake does this all the time, and nobody comments or criticises him for it. And he's not alone. As far as a measuring stick for the quality of a person, it's a pretty flimsy one.

If you've got a criticism of someone fine, but make it relevant to football and why/why not they should/should not be captain.
Lake does it as a matter of tactics. He often watches his opponent with an eye on the bigscreen, then turns around when he sees on the screen that the opposition ball carrier is about to release the ball. It also gives a defender another (higher) point of view on posiitoning.

It's a brilliant tactic and I hope he keeps doing it - you'd think as AA FB he's doing something right.

Desipura
24-09-2010, 10:51 AM
Have a read of the Herald Sun article where Gia mentions he would love to captain the club. There are 29 comments on the story and ALL 29 are strongly against Gia getting the captaincy. That alone tells me that he cannot get the captaincy, there will be a hell of alot of unhappy supporters.

comrade
24-09-2010, 10:56 AM
Have a read of the Herald Sun article where Gia mentions he would love to captain the club. There are 29 comments on the story and ALL 29 are strongly against Gia getting the captaincy. That alone tells me that he cannot get the captaincy, there will be a hell of alot of unhappy supporters.

I don't think the supporters opinions will have any impact on the decision as the football department are in the best position to make the correct judgment.

Desipura
24-09-2010, 11:02 AM
I don't think the supporters opinions will have any impact on the decision as the football department are in the best position to make the correct judgment.
When it is so overwhelmingly against him, they would be foolish not to take it into consideration. The last thing you would want to do is get the members offside.

comrade
24-09-2010, 11:04 AM
When it is so overwhelmingly against him, they would be foolish not to take it into consideration. The last thing you would want to do is get the members offside.

The majority of supporters are pretty fickle and don't have much of a clue of the inner workings.

That being said, it would be odd to have a captain not supported by a large chunk of the fan base.

I think Boyd will get it anyway.

Ozza
24-09-2010, 11:10 AM
I'm worried that Gia will be named captain - and there will be so much crap said by our own supporters that it taints the whole appointment.

LostDoggy
24-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Brad Johnson was the king of spin, and whoever fills his shoes will not only need to deliver to the media what the in-house communications team tells him, but believe it.

I think this is an area where we need to change. It doesn’t really have an effect on the football field, although as a supporter I’d like to see some leadership and passion, rather than the usual drivel. I can just envisage the media release to appoint a new captain. It would consist of some lines that the Bulldogs have made famous over the past 3 years:

- “there is a lot of belief amongst the playing group”
- “We’ve got the talent and plenty of courage and spirit, and our list is in good shape”
- “the belief is still there in the group”
- “We’re full of spirit and courage. It shows really what the group’s about and the club’s about”
- “The only pressure we've got is our own standards and what we want to achieve as a group rather than any external expectations”

Who on the Bulldogs list has the ability to lead on field, as well as communicate to the footy world his passion for the club (without having to read a teleprompter)?

I really enjoy listening to Ward speak - full of passion.

Curly5
24-09-2010, 12:57 PM
I'm worried that Gia will be named captain - and there will be so much crap said by our own supporters that it taints the whole appointment.

Can't help but agree, but how fair is that on the poor guy? The club may live to regret putting up a Facebook page. :o Plus oppo supporters would quickly pick up on it and carry on they way they've been treating Johnno lately. Do we really want our captain being abused constantly, even by ignorant bogans? But, whoever is appointed captain should be supported 100% by our fans, whether they agree or not. Hey, it's not a democracy. We don't get to vote, Facebook or not. What next, team selection by Facebook opinion? What a can of worms this "social networking" is. :(

Ozza
24-09-2010, 01:03 PM
Can't help but agree, but how fair is that on the poor guy? The club may live to regret putting up a Facebook page. :o Plus oppo supporters would quickly pick up on it and carry on they way they've been treating Johnno lately. Do we really want our captain being abused constantly, even by ignorant bogans? But, whoever is appointed captain should be supported 100% by our fans, whether they agree or not. Hey, it's not a democracy. We don't get to vote, Facebook or not. What next, team selection by Facebook opinion? What a can of worms this "social networking" is. :(

Its not fair at all. Its not a criticism of Gia or that potential decision. Its a criticism of many (not all) of the supporters and barrackers. A decent percentage (not all) of the Bulldogs supporters/barrackers didn't exactly cover themselves or the club in glory over the past 3 months, I fear it will be more of the same if a regular whipping boy like Gia gets the nod.

Right now - Gia wouldn't be my first choice as Captain. But if they do go that way - I can already envisage the amount of time I spend defending him and the clubs decision.

Rocco Jones
24-09-2010, 01:10 PM
The majority of supporters are pretty fickle and don't have much of a clue of the inner workings.

That being said, it would be odd to have a captain not supported by a large chunk of the fan base.

I think Boyd will get it anyway.

I agree with all of that.

The thing about Gia is that so many of our fans are against him being captain. I see fanbases made up of different little factions. The super negative types to the the rose coloured glasses, the in the know types to the casual observers, the great analysers of the game to the old ladies who would be following the club if we were a curling team.

However, the majority of all these types seem against Gia (or not for Gia with the rose coloured ones, they are against nothing we do). Ironic to think that he is a Westy!

I know you are very positive towards the Dogs and I appreciate and respect your right to be so but do you believe we should support him as a captain no matter what?

I support my club overall no matter what, would never stop being a member but I won't support every decision they make.

Rocco Jones
24-09-2010, 01:12 PM
Its not fair at all. Its not a criticism of Gia or that potential decision. Its a criticism of many (not all) of the supporters and barrackers. A decent percentage (not all) of the Bulldogs supporters/barrackers didn't exactly cover themselves or the club in glory over the past 3 months, I fear it will be more of the same if a regular whipping boy like Gia gets the nod.

Right now - Gia wouldn't be my first choice as Captain. But if they do go that way - I can already envisage the amount of time I spend defending him and the clubs decision.

I spend an ironic amount of time defending Gia for someone who doesn't rate him very highly. The amount of abuse he gets is nowhere near warranted, he is definitely a victim of being seen as such a strong figure at the club.

LostDoggy
24-09-2010, 02:47 PM
I spend an ironic amount of time defending Gia for someone who doesn't rate him very highly. The amount of abuse he gets is nowhere near warranted, he is definitely a victim of being seen as such a strong figure at the club.

I think Gia is a victim of having to account for the weaknesses in our side.

This year we lacked input from goal scoring small forwards, so he has been placed there to assist. 35 goals from less than 20 games up forward is a good return.

A few games this year he was placed on the ball when we had midfield injuries, or when the midfield wasn't productive, and he racked up 30+ touches with ease, and with good ball use.

Ideally he is a midfielder who would rotate into the half forward line, but our deficiencies mean he is having to pick up the slack. It is a team game, and he plays his role for the team.

The problem with Gia being captain is this. When he is on, he is as good as any footballer at our club - great to watch. When it's not going his way, he just looks like an oiled-up, bronzed pretty-boy. And your average footy fan just doesn't like a pretty-boy.

AndrewP6
24-09-2010, 02:52 PM

This year we lacked input from goal scoring small forwards, so he has been placed there to assist. 35 goals from less than 20 games up forward is a good return.

A few games this year he was placed on the ball when we had midfield injuries, or when the midfield wasn't productive, and he racked up 30+ touches with ease, and with good ball use.

Ideally he is a midfielder who would rotate into the half forward line, but our deficiencies mean he is having to pick up the slack. It is a team game, and he plays his role for the team.

The problem with Gia being captain is this. When he is on, he is as good as any footballer at our club - great to watch. When it's not going his way, he just looks like an oiled-up, bronzed pretty-boy. And your average footy fan just doesn't like a pretty-boy.

Good post. I didn't realise he'd kicked 35 this year. Good return indeed.

Desipura
24-09-2010, 02:55 PM

On the 1st point, it is a good return, finals records make or break a player. Griffen being a point in case, his stocks have risen as a result of his consistent output in finals against the better teams.

Disagree on 2nd point, I think he is a forward first then midfielder, not the other way around.

3rd point, disagree again, when Cooney & Griffen are on there is no one better.

LostDoggy
24-09-2010, 03:10 PM

Methinks you're reading into my comment an attack on a particular person - I didn't mention any names, could easily have been referring to Brian Lake.

As for your comment about keeping my criticisms relevant to football - checking yourself out on the screen while playing football IS relevant to football, and it does pertain to why they should be captain. IMHO someone who checks themselves out on the screen constantly is a poser, an individual, and not someone I would like as captain.

Geez I really get frustrated at some of the people on these sites - so quick to put people down when they don't write the right way, or spell a player wrong, or dare to have a view that doesn't follow what they view as correct procedure.

Curly5
24-09-2010, 05:02 PM
I agree with all of that.

The thing about Gia is that so many of our fans are against him being captain. I see fanbases made up of different little factions. The super negative types to the the rose coloured glasses, the in the know types to the casual observers, the great analysers of the game to the old ladies who would be following the club if we were a curling team.

However, the majority of all these types seem against Gia (or not for Gia with the rose coloured ones, they are against nothing we do). Ironic to think that he is a Westy!

I know you are very positive towards the Dogs and I appreciate and respect your right to be so but do you believe we should support him as a captain no matter what?

I support my club overall no matter what, would never stop being a member but I won't support every decision they make.

It's fine not to agree with every decision, but criticism by supporters these days seems so much more virulent and 'out there' than it was prior to the advent of public forums. Even going back to the Wallace/Brown defections and the appointment of Rohde, people didn't like any of it but there wasn't as much spleen being vented as there would have been nearly a decade later (although there was a fair bit). I just feel that there is a mob mentality ready to capitalise on the anonymity of the internet, and a lot of non-thinkers, mischief-makers and people with nothing better to do can be seen trying to influence others' opinions. NOTE: I AM NOT REFERRING TO ANYONE ON WOOF.

But you only have to read FB, BF and newpaper comments to know that anyone who would support A*** and bucket Johnno would be delighted to kick our new captain if they get the idea we are ambivalent about him. Do we need this, at this stage?

I'd hate to see our club held to ransom, or under siege, or our captain ridiculed, or even booed, as a result of any of this. What other club captain has had to endure this? It could spell the end of his career if the feral element take things too far.

You might say, well this won't happen if Boyd/Cross/Morris is captain, but what a cop out that would be, if they really want Gia.

AGAIN, I AM NOT INCLUDING WOOF POSTERS.

So to answer your question, yes I do, if he is the person they appoint. We have no alternative.

LostDoggy
24-09-2010, 06:21 PM

he just looks like an oiled-up, bronzed pretty-boy

Not politically correct, but I'd have to admit, I don't mind an "oiled up, bronzed pretty boy" now and then! :D

Bumper Bulldogs
24-09-2010, 08:19 PM
I voted for Hall, as stated before on another thread I really believe we need to split and divide the ring leaders as they are more than likely sitting back thinking they're a chance. Well bring in the big bloke and get the others to second guess what's going on.

i think in 12 months things will be clear and C.Ward could be the man.

LostDoggy
24-09-2010, 09:01 PM
Im suprised Higgins has no votes at all, I remember last year everyone saying that he should be ready and they would love to give it to him, I guess its just his had a bad year (injurys, form) and that has taken him down abit!

AndrewP6
24-09-2010, 09:28 PM
I voted for Hall, as stated before on another thread I really believe we need to split and divide the ring leaders as they are more than likely sitting back thinking they're a chance. Well bring in the big bloke and get the others to second guess what's going on.

i think in 12 months things will be clear and C.Ward could be the man.

Nice call on Bazza...I was thinking about voting for him, but decided against it based on the age factor. Just imagine getting called into a meeting with him. No disrespect to Johnno, but I'd be shaking if Baz came calling...

LostDoggy
24-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Cooney before the game
"[Gia] would be up there, also Matty Boyd. He the most vocal guy out there and would be probably be the favorite right now'
No mention of Dale

boydogs
25-09-2010, 02:07 AM
Im suprised Higgins has no votes at all, I remember last year everyone saying that he should be ready and they would love to give it to him, I guess its just his had a bad year (injurys, form) and that has taken him down abit!

Strange, isn't it? He's a year older, but the support has disappeared
I guess too many posters didn't like the way he worked through his issues

Cooney before the game
"[Gia] would be up there, also Matty Boyd. He the most vocal guy out there and would be probably be the favorite right now'
No mention of Dale

That doesn't surprise me. Gia & Boyd were the ones to fill in for Johnno when he was injured. On a side note, did anyone else notice Gia trying to beat Johnno out of the race onto the field in the finals?

I would also like to put another call out for info on when the captain will be selected, if anyone has any idea

Mofra
25-09-2010, 11:47 AM
Agree with this, it's a shame the character assassination that occurs on these boards that would rival anything Rchmond supporters have thrown at their list in the past 30 years.

It then causes more inter-poster arguments than I have seen before in my time on Woof.
It seems so many people forget that we ALL BARRACK FOR THE SAME FRIGGEN TEAM :eek:

LostDoggy
25-09-2010, 12:58 PM
Agree with this, it's a shame the character assassination that occurs on these boards that would rival anything Rchmond supporters have thrown at their list in the past 30 years.

It then causes more inter-poster arguments than I have seen before in my time on Woof.
It seems so many people forget that we ALL BARRACK FOR THE SAME FRIGGEN TEAM :eek:

Unfortunately football has a herd mentality where the weekest/sick are left behind to defend for themselves. This is nature at work. The wolves are circling.

BulldogBelle
25-09-2010, 08:15 PM

Yep I'm with you there Mofra

DOG GOD
26-09-2010, 01:28 PM
I've gone with Morris.

**Leads by example
** Sacrifices own game for team rules
** Rarely beaten by opponent
** Puts body on the line
** Players stall tall around him

Doc26
26-09-2010, 03:45 PM
My head went with Morris but for some reason my hand went with Boydy, just thankful that it wasn't Gia otherwise I would've been forced to close my account. Make sure you're careful with your polling choice as it appears there's no known way of editing your selection after the fact.

boydogs
26-09-2010, 03:49 PM
Thanks to everyone who has voted

With Boyd 4th and Gia equal 7th at the time of this post, I think there will be a few disappointed fans when the appointment is announced

comrade
26-09-2010, 03:50 PM
Obviously, WOOF is a microcosm of the Bulldog supporter base but does this poll result reflect wider sentiment?

I just find it suprising that Morris is twice as popular a choice than the next candidate. Happily suprised.

DOG GOD
26-09-2010, 04:00 PM
Surely alot of criteria is taken into account when choosing a captain. For mine, Morris ticks almost every box, that most others dont.

Doc26
26-09-2010, 04:05 PM
Obviously, WOOF is a microcosm of the Bulldog supporter base but does this poll result reflect wider sentiment?

I just find it suprising that Morris is twice as popular a choice than the next candidate. Happily suprised.

Or mere followers of Comrade's cause ?

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/2873/comradeworshippers.jpg

LostDoggy
26-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Morris is the obvious choice because of the values he seems to play by.

LostDoggy
26-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Dale Morris for me. I heard an interview with him before the Collingwood final and was very impressed by him. He reminds me a lot of Tom Harley or Nick Maxwell.

I would have Coons and Grif as his deputies, with Cal Ward and Shiggy next in line.

What he said.