PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Walker.

chef
23-09-2010, 04:36 PM
According to a family member he had a meeting and Medical at the Whitten Oval this morning. I would be very happy to have him at the Dogs, especially over Tambling.

comrade
23-09-2010, 04:40 PM
Everitt for Walker or do we use the mercenary pick?

He certainly has pace and looked good running off the half back line this year - his kicking remains an issue. With guys like Boyd, Cross and Ward doing the grunt work, he could fit in as an outside runner.

It'll be an interesting trade week.

G-Mo77
23-09-2010, 04:52 PM
Trade week is getting closer. :)

Topdog
23-09-2010, 04:59 PM
According to a family member he had a meeting and Medical at the Whitten Oval this morning. I would be very happy to have him at the Dogs, especially over Tambling.

There seems to be a lot of medicals happening to your sources?

chef
23-09-2010, 05:07 PM

There always is at this time of the year.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Walker looked alright as a forward in the EF v Sydney too.

I'd take him over Everitt and probably Tambling too, if we were tossing up options.

bornadog
23-09-2010, 05:19 PM

Much appreciated for the information, and I would have him if the right deal can be found.

chef
23-09-2010, 05:25 PM
Much appreciated for the information, and I would have him if the right deal can be found.

A straight swap for Everitt would be nice.

Adelaide are still going hard for him, but we've joined the race and are in with a chance. Hopefully I'll have some more info on this tomorrow.

azabob
23-09-2010, 05:49 PM

From my understanding and putting 2 and 2 together (which can add up to 5 sometimes) Chef either works or comes from Bendigo perhaps we Walker is from.

EasternWest
23-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Hmmm. I'm not sure about Walker. I've always put him in my Cameron Mooney-faux-hardman-basket.

However, he is a great athlete, and he can turn it on. Can he stay fit? Can he stay focussed?

chef
23-09-2010, 06:36 PM
From my understanding and putting 2 and 2 together (which can add up to 5 sometimes) Chef either works or comes from Bendigo perhaps we Walker is from.

I'm mates with his brother in law.

mighty_west
23-09-2010, 06:39 PM
Hmmm. I'm not sure about Walker. I've always put him in my Cameron Mooney-faux-hardman-basket.

However, he is a great athlete, and he can turn it on. Can he stay fit? Can he stay focussed?

Faux hardman >>>> soft as butter.

That said, Goddard is also in that faux hardman category, i'd take him in a flash, but with Walker, i believe he is a real late developing type, i think he is quality, but just needs a new enviroment, would much prefer him to tim tam Tambling.

Rocco Jones
23-09-2010, 06:50 PM
Faux hardman >>>> soft as butter.

That said, Goddard is also in that faux hardman category, i'd take him in a flash, but with Walker, i believe he is a real late developing type, i think he is quality, but just needs a new enviroment, would much prefer him to tim tam Tambling.

I put 'faux hardmen' into two categories.

1- Players who do wanky/faux 'hard' acts on the field like bumping a player when he is doing his laces but is actually tough anyway

2- Players who do that crap in place of doing actual tough stuff

mighty_west
23-09-2010, 06:58 PM

1- Players who do wanky/faux 'hard' acts on the field like bumping a player when he is doing his laces but is actually tough anyway

I put Scott Thompson in the weak as piss category.

Swoop
23-09-2010, 08:41 PM
I put Scott Thompson in the weak as piss category.
I would make Will Minson the captain of that category.

GVGjr
23-09-2010, 08:43 PM

I don't think he has ever portrayed himself as a footy hard man but I think he could be used a a taller version of Liam Picken and capable of doing a defensive job for us.
Lets face it, both Cross and Boyd haven't been as good defensively as we would have expected this season.
Walker would also offer us a different option than Everitt does.

LostDoggy
23-09-2010, 09:52 PM
Have always rated Walker, would love to have him at the club.

Topdog
24-09-2010, 08:08 AM

not the day before a prelim final.

LostDoggy
24-09-2010, 08:23 AM
Soft

OLD SCRAGGer
24-09-2010, 09:32 AM
Trade week is getting closer. :)

When exactly does trade week begin:confused:

Sockeye Salmon
24-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Monday week

Draft camp starts Monday

1eyedog
24-09-2010, 09:41 AM
I don't know, he has shoulder issues but he is only 24. I'd probably be inclined to agree to a straight swap with Everitt because of Walker's age.

He's not really tall enough to be a KPP but can be creative across half forward, has some pace and is at times creative. Kicking for goal can let him down.

Wasn't he a really high pick?

LostDoggy
24-09-2010, 09:46 AM
I wouldn't be upset if we got Walker.

I just thought he wanted to go to Adelaide.

chef, where are you, I want the inside info.

LostDoggy
24-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Soft

Haha old-timer -- everyone in 2010 AFL is soft in your eyes.

Except Mitch Hahn! But I do agree that it would be good to get Mitch Hahn hardness in a body that could still run and kick well. Well, he exists and his name is Dane Lenny Swan Hayes.

Would be great if Charlie Sutton could still lace up a pair of pumas.

LostDoggy
24-09-2010, 10:22 AM

Then there are those guys who have reputations for being tough, but are secretly slimy bastards (so to speak). Joel Selwood comes to mind -- ducking your head to milk a free isn't being tough, it's borderline cheating.

G-Mo77
24-09-2010, 10:28 AM

Pick #2 in 2003

w3design
24-09-2010, 12:54 PM

Only Cooney was higher. '03 was a very average draft year.

Not convinced we should chase him? What value would he bring, you know Carlton will want a decent price.

Ozza
24-09-2010, 01:23 PM
It will all depend on the price really.

Hopefully if we got him - he would be one of those players who benefits from a change of scenery. He has certainly shown some glimpses that would suggest he can seriously play if he gets some continuity in his football (he's only played 29 games in the last 3 seasons).

At 24, he is a ready made footballer who should by all rights have his best 4-5 years from now.

As I said, it depends on the price - but I'm not against looking at him or Sherman....or both.

lemmon
24-09-2010, 02:08 PM
His kicking is the worry, elite skills are probably the highest sought commodity in todays footy. Our kicking efficiency was terrible at times this year, he isnt going to help in that regard. For the right price then I would consider it but I think there are better options available.

chef
24-09-2010, 04:14 PM
not the day before a prelim final.

Wednesday this week wasn't the day before our prelim:confused:(which is the day I suggested Walks came into the club).

EDIT. It was Glove 38(not doubting you mate) who suggested Tambling had a medical on the Friday before our prelim in the 'trading' thread(post 95), not me;).

chef
24-09-2010, 04:17 PM
I wouldn't be upset if we got Walker.

I just thought he wanted to go to Adelaide.

chef, where are you, I want the inside info.

I will find out some more info this weekend.

LostDoggy
24-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Wednesday this week wasn't the day before our prelim:confused:(which is the day I suggested Walks came into the club).

EDIT. It was Glove 38(not doubting you mate) who suggested Tambling had a medical on the Friday before our prelim in the 'trading' thread(post 95), not me;).

Don't worry, i doubted my mate when he told me.

Topdog
24-09-2010, 06:59 PM

ah saw yours on BF, got it now.

azabob
26-09-2010, 11:43 AM
Would prefer Walker over Sherman.

Can play back, forward, midfiled and can take a mark, has pace. As others have said he is something we really don't have.

Ghost Dog
26-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Mate of mine, Carlton fan said he is just so prone to injury.
Haven't we got enough injury woes!!?

azabob
26-09-2010, 01:08 PM

Did we really get that many injuries or just injuries to the wrong 2 players? Cooney and Morris.

soupman
26-09-2010, 01:16 PM
Did we really get that many injuries or just injuries to the wrong 2 players? Cooney and Morris.

We dint get many serious injuries, just the niggling types.

See Ward and Higgins as two key players who are always carrying something, with guys like Wood, Roughead, Cooney, Griffen, Murphy, Boyd, Williams and Hargrave all carrying injuries for an extended period of time or at a crucial stage of the season.

chef
26-09-2010, 04:56 PM
I will find out some more info this weekend.

Andrews pretty tight lipped ATM, but all went well at the club last week and we are in with a shot as are a few other clubs(with Adelaide going the hardest). He wants out of the Blues(due to Ratten) and will definitely be traded, but it will probably come down to who offers the best deal as he's happy to play pretty much anywhere.

chef
26-09-2010, 04:57 PM

He was until he had his shoulders tighten, but now he's fine.

EasternWest
26-09-2010, 06:38 PM
He was until he had his shoulders tighten, but now he's fine.

Pardon my cynicism on this one chef, but he would say that wouldn't he?

chef
26-09-2010, 07:21 PM
Pardon my cynicism on this one chef, but he would say that wouldn't he?

Yeah true, but he is very confident that they aren't a problem anymore. His collar bone snapped before his shoulder popped early this year.

divvydan
28-09-2010, 02:47 AM
Update in HS:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-chase-blues-star-andrew-walker/story-e6frf9jf-1225930405577

WESTERN Bulldogs have emerged as challengers to Adelaide in the race for Carlton defender Andrew Walker.

The Blues have rebuffed a direct swap for out-of-favour Bulldog Andrejs Everitt.

The Blues favour a direct swap for Walker, with coach Brett Ratten determined to recruit experienced players.

Hill, a mobile marking target, may appeal as another facet to a forward line still being rebuilt after Brendan Fevola's exit.

Desipura
28-09-2010, 10:17 AM
Update in HS:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-chase-blues-star-andrew-walker/story-e6frf9jf-1225930405577
I dont get the article, what are they saying? Carlton will not swap Walker for Everitt but may do a Hill for Walker swap? If so, where do we sign?

dogman
28-09-2010, 10:41 AM
I dont get the article, what are they saying? Carlton will not swap Walker for Everitt but may do a Hill for Walker swap? If so, where do we sign?

Exactly.

LostDoggy
28-09-2010, 01:40 PM
Don't want to lose Hill, think he is a unique player and if given a chance and encouragement could really prosper

KT31
28-09-2010, 02:14 PM

Great deal, IMO consider it a done deal.

w3design
28-09-2010, 03:04 PM

Agree

Bumper Bulldogs
28-09-2010, 07:47 PM
Don't want to lose Hill, think he is a unique player and if given a chance and encouragement could really prosper

He has had this the last few years and he's gone walk about!

Let him go and I hope someone can get more out of him than us, yes he has the X-factor but needs a heart transplant.

Dancin' Douggy
28-09-2010, 08:15 PM
Somebody out there may know.
If we had the number one and number two pick in that draft would we have gone with Cooney and Walker?

And in regards Josh Hill.
I have been a real supporter of Josh and really dressing up his positives and playing down his negatives.
But watching him play for Willy I just have to accept he doesn't give a $@%&.
Lazy, disinterested, very average.
For someone of his talent he should just be tearing it up at that level and DEMANDING a spot in the seniors.
God knows he's exactly what we needed in the finals.
It will be hard to watch him flourish at another club but I'd trade him now even though for a brief period he was probably my favourite player.

chef
07-10-2010, 03:48 PM
From Fox....

1544: Trade murmurs: Andrew Walker's manager Tom Petroro says both Western Bulldogs and Port Adelaide are both keen on the Carlton man.

Remi Moses
07-10-2010, 04:28 PM
How would it be possible to get both Walker and Sherman?

chef
07-10-2010, 04:31 PM
How would it be possible to get both Walker and Sherman?

Guess it comes down to what we get for Minson and Hill.

w3design
07-10-2010, 05:36 PM
He just isn't worth what Carlton want...I'd pass.

GVGjr
07-10-2010, 06:15 PM
He just isn't worth what Carlton want...I'd pass.

I tend to agree