PDA

View Full Version : Replay or Extra Time?

Go_Dogs
26-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Given what unfolded yesterday, what would fellow Woofer's prefer to happen?

On the side of that, does anyone think Maxwell will/should come under sanction from the AFL for his comments?

I also thought his "never seen two sides go to war like they did today" comment was pretty arrogant. It was a terrific match, and they certainly did go to war, but wow - just came off to me as a little self-serving!

azabob
26-09-2010, 09:16 AM
Extra time. I would hate to be a supporter of either side. I don't necessarily like Maxwell but we need to cut him some slack. For what it's worth from the outside the saints seem to handle everything better straight after the game.

Go_Dogs
26-09-2010, 09:20 AM
Extra time. I would hate to be a supporter of either side. I don't necessarily like Maxwell but we need to cut him some slack. For what it's worth from the outside the saints seem to handle everything better straight after the game.

Whilst I agree it would be pretty horrible as a supporter of one of the sides, I'm a traditionalist and prefer the game to be replayed. Events such as St Kilda being an man down get accentuated in extra time I feel.

Fair point on Maxwell - I'm probably too harsh on him, especially given the exhaustion/dis-belief straight after.

Saints very professional and after watching the post-match stuff I felt fairly confident they have the maturity/desire/professionalism to get back up again.

GVGjr
26-09-2010, 09:20 AM
Not really fussed either way but I think I would opt for sticking with tradition however the following week should be an extra time game if required.

G-Mo77
26-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Not really fussed either way but I think I would opt for sticking with tradition however the following week should be an extra time game if required.

Which is the way it will be next week.

I think there should be a winner. There is so much build up to this one game of the year and to walk away with a draw and have to come back again the following week is a real let down for everyone involved.

The MRP will be interesting this week. I wonder if they'll turn a blind eye to a few players.

LostDoggy
26-09-2010, 09:29 AM
Extra time, it puts everything out logistically.

KT31
26-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Extra time for me, so much goes into preparing for a GF and then to have to do it all over again.

GVGjr
26-09-2010, 09:40 AM
The AFL make an additional 15M from the replay which is probably why they haven't been too worried about it in the past.

mighty_west
26-09-2010, 09:50 AM
I like the replay, being a bit of a traditionalist, it also gives an additional 40,000 tickets to club members, so alot of hardcore supporters & members who would never have had a chance to goto yesterdays game have a more realistic chance in going.

hujsh
26-09-2010, 09:57 AM
I think with AFL games being 80 minutes of game time all year and that being what clubs prepare for that's how long the GF match should last. AFL matches go for 4 quarters and the GF should be the same.

azabob
26-09-2010, 10:18 AM

Two questions why extra time for the replay? What happens if West Coast play in a drawn GF? Surely that isn't fair on the interstate club?

Ooops that is 3 questions!

AndrewP6
26-09-2010, 10:21 AM
Extra time pleeeeeeeeease... it's a money-grab for the AFL having to go around again, making the fans cough up more dough. AFL is a game decided on the day, not after a second go. And I don't want to see the Aints and Filth again...

G-Mo77
26-09-2010, 10:22 AM
I think with AFL games being 80 minutes of game time all year and that being what clubs prepare for that's how long the GF match should last. AFL matches go for 4 quarters and the GF should be the same.

But the other finals shouldn't?

That's were the argument falls over.

azabob
26-09-2010, 10:23 AM

The other finals go to extra time. Is that what you are questioning?

AndrewP6
26-09-2010, 10:24 AM
Maxwell's comment was kind of understandable, given the adrenaline and emotion he'd have been dealing with...but still arrogant, and over the top. It's a game, Nick...a game that the Pies could have iced by half time, but for their ineptitude in front of goal... War? I think not.

G-Mo77
26-09-2010, 10:27 AM
The other finals go to extra time. Is that what you are questioning?

No I know they go to extra time. I questioned hujsh response. Who I did quote.

azabob
26-09-2010, 10:29 AM
No I know they go to extra time. I questioned hujsh response. Who I did quote.

You quoted the right person. I was just curious re your responce that's all.

LostDoggy
26-09-2010, 10:36 AM
Maxwell's comment was kind of understandable, given the adrenaline and emotion he'd have been dealing with...but still arrogant, and over the top. It's a game, Nick...a game that the Pies could have iced by half time, but for their ineptitude in front of goal... War? I think not.

Probably shows that they're very worried about next week, St Kilda will coming home hard.

Hotdog60
26-09-2010, 10:37 AM
I'm a traditionalist, we've only had two other ties so it's not a common a occurrence. I can feel for the supporters and the players but if it happened to us I would just take it and look forward to the following week.

Maxwell may feel like he did after the game but at the time I thought that St kilda were on top of the play and if it went on longer they may have won.

The Coon Dog
26-09-2010, 11:45 AM
You feel for the family of 4 who might have to find about $900 two weeks in a row. I know that would put a huge strain on my budget.

Apart from that I think on balance I prefer extra time, gets it all over & done with.

DOG GOD
26-09-2010, 11:47 AM
Extra time for me. I had a flat feeling after the game and i hate both teams, so i couldnt even imagine what i wouldve felt like if that had been the dogs out there.

I also think there should be extra time in normal matches as well as all finals.

This isnt soccor, no fan would want to walk out of the game with a no result.

mighty_west
26-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Extra time pleeeeeeeeease... it's a money-grab for the AFL having to go around again, making the fans cough up more dough. AFL is a game decided on the day, not after a second go. And I don't want to see the Aints and Filth again...

I like to look at it like this, with the amount of supporters who simply couldn't goto yesterdays game with limited tickets issued to the clubs for their members, also gives them a realistic chance of going to a GF, especially members that do attend most games who simply missed out.

Plus i don't want a game as big & important as a GF decided by some silly golden goal or overtime etc, which is understandable in soccer given how low scoring that game is and highly likely to have draws or ties compared to ours.

Plus, i cringe when people say, but this sport does it and that sport does, so we should, load of bollocks imo, why should we do what other sports do.

LostDoggy
26-09-2010, 12:31 PM
In the cold light of day, I think I would prefer to replay the game. I don't think Maxwell's comments were that bad - in the emotion of the moment, our game is like going out to war/combat - two sides playing and giving their all in search of the cup. IMHO he just spoke from the heart.

bornadog
26-09-2010, 12:31 PM
You feel for the family of 4 who might have to find about $900 two weeks in a row. I know that would put a huge strain on my budget.

Apart from that I think on balance I prefer extra time, gets it all over & done with.

Alot of centrelink payments for those Pies supporters:D

Seriuosly though, I orginally thought stick with tradition, but after this weeks build up and all the Collingwood supporters carrying on, I don't know how I am going to put up with it for another week.

Doc26
26-09-2010, 01:24 PM
I love some of the unique aspects of our game and the replay of a drawn Grand Final remains one of those. It is quite a rare occurrence and although logistically it poses challenges having one more week to see how the tweaking of selections and tactics play out not to mention watching another ~120mins of elite level football is pretty damn exciting.

soupman
26-09-2010, 01:25 PM

I like the replay, but I think the AFL should take into account the reduced corporate interest and the cost on families for going to two Grand Finals and reduce ticket prices.

This would be great in that the AFL has already made it's money, and by doing this it makes it more accessible to the fans and rewards them for coming again. I'm not sure if they have actually done this, but I hope they have.

As for drawn games, I like the idea of another Gran Final weekend. Nothing beats a good BBQ and gathering of mates. I think we should leave it all as is. Drawn games in H&A, extra time in finals and replay in the Grand Final. the biggest issue is the repercussions the drawn Granny has on other commitments ie. Travel, best and fairest nights, flights, accommodation etc.

mjp
26-09-2010, 01:41 PM
I'm a traditionalist, we've only had two other ties so it's not a common a occurrence. I can feel for the supporters and the players but if it happened to us I would just take it and look forward to the following week.

I would rather a draw than a loss.

If my side was down to 17 fit players (or something) and had to play an extra 10 minutes each way and we LOST, I would be gutted.

Games of Australian footy are rarely drawn at any level - I have coached for 7 years now and been involved in only one. In 15 years of playing senior footy I can remember 3.

Play it again. So what if a few functions have to be rescheduled - who cares.

I would take it further. If the replay was a draw, I would still not play extra time. If you cant be split over 8-quarters of footy, well, that's the way it is. Award two cups. Or award none.

LostDoggy
26-09-2010, 01:53 PM
Cut the Cup in Half & have Dual Premiers.

hujsh
26-09-2010, 06:28 PM

Not necessarily. The other finals have extra time out of necessity because you can't delay the finals by a week and give everyone else the week off. A result is necessary at that time. By the GF there's only two teams and it's the most important match of the year so i see it as a definite replay.

1eyedog
26-09-2010, 09:13 PM
The Captains of both clubs should unquestionably draw pistols at dusk in the centre square.

Do us all a favour.

Before I Die
26-09-2010, 09:43 PM
If the AFL was truly following tradition it should be decided on a countback like the Brownlow was. My personal preference is don't have a winner, just give them both runner up status.

AndrewP6
26-09-2010, 09:52 PM
The Captains of both clubs should unquestionably draw pistols at dusk in the centre square.

Do us all a favour.

Like. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Flamethrower
26-09-2010, 10:30 PM
As a neutral football fan, I love the fact that the AFL season is being extended by a week - it is like having Christmas 2 weeks in a row (come to think of it, I know what that is like too being born 5 days after Chrsitmas).

If the Doggies were playing my opinion would be completely different. I would be gutted to sit through the whole week and 2 hours of intense football, with the rollercoaster of emotions that go with it, only for the game to end in a draw and be faced with another whole week of the same thing. Then I would be all for overtime until there was a winner.

LostDoggy
27-09-2010, 08:10 AM
I would rather a draw than a loss.

If my side was down to 17 fit players (or something) and had to play an extra 10 minutes each way and we LOST, I would be gutted.

Yes, I was thinking about this yesterday........imagine this scenario, dogs in the GF, leading by 4 goals in the 3rd quarter, then Cooney and Lake struck down with hammys (or whatever) so they can't take any more part in the game. Higgins groin issue has reflared, so he is actually on one leg..... The opposition seize the momentum because of our injuries, and it is a draw. Would you really want to play another 10 or 15 minutes so that the opposition most likely would win - nooooooooo! Give us another chance to reload, regroup, freshen up, and roll the dice again!

Mantis
27-09-2010, 08:20 AM
Yes, I was thinking about this yesterday........imagine this scenario, dogs in the GF, leading by 4 goals in the 3rd quarter, then Cooney and Lake struck down with hammys (or whatever) so they can't take any more part in the game. Higgins groin issue has reflared, so he is actually on one leg..... The opposition seize the momentum because of our injuries, and it is a draw. Would you really want to play another 10 or 15 minutes so that the opposition most likely would win - nooooooooo! Give us another chance to reload, regroup, freshen up, and roll the dice again!

In that scenario I would go again... You might fluke a goal or 2 and actually win. Heaven help what would happen the following week with the players listed missing.

In all seriousness I voted for the replay option.

LostDoggy
27-09-2010, 09:38 AM
I voted for the replay.

You go into the game knowing full well that if it is drawn you come back next week.

mighty_west
27-09-2010, 10:15 AM
If the Doggies were playing my opinion would be completely different. I would be gutted to sit through the whole week and 2 hours of intense football, with the rollercoaster of emotions that go with it, only for the game to end in a draw and be faced with another whole week of the same thing. Then I would be all for overtime until there was a winner.

Pies & Saints supporters going through hell this week, gee, what a shame...:D

LostDoggy
27-09-2010, 10:22 AM
The joy in winning is not just the final result.

It's the whole process. It's every game during the season. It's every finals game

In this case it's experiencing the extra week and the extra game.

It's the expectation.

Play it again.

KT31
27-09-2010, 10:47 AM

Can't imagine them going through to much pain, they get to play in as many GF's in a fortnight as we have in the last 80 years.

soupman
27-09-2010, 10:58 AM

Don't know about hell, Grand Final week all over again would be a little exciting.

But if it was us, I doubt whether I'd have any hair left after the replay. I'd be a nervous wreck the week preceding the first Granny, during the entire match right up to the final siren. Then I'd have to repeat it all over again. Could you apply for sick leave on that basis?

LostDoggy
27-09-2010, 01:56 PM
The Grand Final replay is a fantastic rule.

Ozza
27-09-2010, 02:34 PM

Is that because there is a replay of the massive p1ss up at the Ice Chamber, Gia-cuser?

BulldogBelle
27-09-2010, 02:50 PM
Replay here aswell, they've been the rules forever a day so why change them now! All are aware before the game starts if it's a draw they replay the game.

LostDoggy
27-09-2010, 03:13 PM
Is that because there is a replay of the massive p1ss up at the Ice Chamber, Gia-cuser?

I hope not, thanks Ozza.

We catered for 25 people and had 50 turn up. The end result: 17 garbage bags full of stubbies, a front door sans the door, a sausage smeared across the bathroom wall and a hang over to rival the chaos. What a great day.

Still can't believe the Pies are sitting at $1.60 for next week. They look too wobbly for those odds.

Ozza
27-09-2010, 03:30 PM
Still can't believe the Pies are sitting at $1.60 for next week. They look too wobbly for those odds.

To me - it should be about 1.85 each of two....and personally I think St.Kilda will win. I have my doubts that Collingwood can gather up the emotional energy to channel it into this week. St.Kilda seem more up and about.

Greystache
27-09-2010, 04:17 PM

Perfect chance to get amongst it with the natives in Mildura!

I hope not, thanks Ozza.

We catered for 25 people and had 50 turn up. The end result: 17 garbage bags full of stubbies, a front door sans the door, a sausage smeared across the bathroom wall and a hang over to rival the chaos. What a great day.

Sounds like I left too early!

Bumper Bulldogs
27-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Extra game for me and the second week you can have extra time. As long as the funds go back to all clubs.

The AFL would be licking their lips at the extra 25 million to help out GWS and GC.

FrediKanoute
27-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Extra time, it puts everything out logistically.

This to me is the only logical reason people are gving for extra time and to me it just doesn't stack up. What about player welfare? What about the fact that after a standard game of footy we have 2 teams that just can't be separated.

personally I don't give too hoots about the fact that XYZ Sponsor's post GF party (sic marketing drive) is now going to have to go ahead minus a couple of GF players.

As someone pointed out had the game gone toextra time the Saints would have gone in a man down and probably with quite a few players, Lenny Hayes/Goddard just about spent because they play for the 100 minutes. I think there is no good reason to change the replay aspect.

AndrewP6
27-09-2010, 10:02 PM
This to me is the only logical reason people are gving for extra time and to me it just doesn't stack up. What about player welfare? What about the fact that after a standard game of footy we have 2 teams that just can't be separated.

personally I don't give too hoots about the fact that XYZ Sponsor's post GF party (sic marketing drive) is now going to have to go ahead minus a couple of GF players.

As someone pointed out had the game gone toextra time the Saints would have gone in a man down and probably with quite a few players, Lenny Hayes/Goddard just about spent because they play for the 100 minutes. I think there is no good reason to change the replay aspect.

For mine, that's part of the 'war' that Nick Maxwell described (was it him?). Thought of something whilst reading the AFL Daily News...sorry, the Herald-Sun today. If a team wasn't good enough to clearly win the game on a given day, I don't feel they should get a second shot at it. If Thomas, Blair or Cloke hadn't have had the yips, they might well have claimed the cup. Now, they get the chance to refresh somewhat, and perhaps claim a win which they couldn't do the first time round. To me, that's not right. Footy is a game played out on one day (or night!), and the game should end then and there. And, although purely subjective, I feel sports competitions should have a winner and a loser. They start equal, find the better side - even if it takes ten minutes longer.

Go_Dogs
27-09-2010, 10:32 PM
After extra time bursting out the blocks, the replay has shot back out in front.

Hopefully the AFL don't change it. Surely when they look at the bottom line they won't - and they'll pray for a draw every year!

AndrewP6
27-09-2010, 10:43 PM
After extra time bursting out the blocks, the replay has shot back out in front.

Hopefully the AFL don't change it. Surely when they look at the bottom line they won't - and they'll pray for a draw every year!

They may even schedule it... ;)

LostDoggy
03-10-2010, 01:16 AM
Wether you like or dislike the replay game, I think it is one of those quirky traits of our game that is unique. Going to extra time will only make it more American.