PDA

View Full Version : Grand Final 1 - Your BOG?

EasternWest
26-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Interested to hear what people think? For mine, I can't disagree with the experts.

3. Hayes (Would love to see Lenny with a medallion around his neck. Would hate to see his 21 mates with them but).
2. Goddard (Can play a bit).
1. Maxwell (A decent player, a superb leader).

Go_Dogs
26-09-2010, 11:01 AM
Goddard, closely followed by Hayes for mine.

Mantis
26-09-2010, 11:14 AM
3. Hayes - clearance machine.
2. Goddard
1. Thomas

Dry Rot
26-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Goddard, closely followed by Hayes for mine.

Agreed, but IMO Maxwell and Thomas deserve honourable mentions. Thought Maxwell played a superb defender's and captain's game.

LostDoggy
26-09-2010, 11:19 AM
3. Goddard
2. Hayes
1. Thomas

Maxwell had a good game for the Pies, i thought Schneider was also good for the Saints.

The Doctor
26-09-2010, 11:24 AM
They should share it as both would be worthy winners. However if forced to choose i'd go with Hayes.

ledge
26-09-2010, 11:32 AM
Doesnt Maxwell just float around the backline being the extra man? If thats the case he should get the ball a lot anyway.
Goddard.

mighty_west
26-09-2010, 11:35 AM
1. Goddard
2. Hayes
3. Thomas

DOG GOD
26-09-2010, 11:37 AM
1. Hayes
2. Goddard
3. Thomas

azabob
26-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Goddard
Hayes
Thomas

- Interesting Thomas passed to Blair who missed. Thomas should've taken the kick.

Also glad to see Dane Swan, Leon Davis, Alan Didak struggle big time.

I am continually suprised at how well the saints back six work together as a whole.

The Coon Dog
26-09-2010, 11:41 AM
Lenny Hayes. Someone must have told him they were playing the Bulldogs! ;)

angelopetraglia
26-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Was at the game.

Hayes was clearly my Norm Smith straight after the game.

After watching the replay last night, it was closer than what I thought. Both Goddard or Hayes were worthy, toss of the coin.

How did Reily from The Australian not even give Goddard one vote?

Flamethrower
26-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Goddard
Hayes
Thomas

- Interesting Thomas passed to Blair who missed. Thomas should've taken the kick.

Also glad to see Dane Swan, Leon Davis, Alan Didak struggle big time.

I am continually suprised at how well the saints back six work together as a whole.

Dane Swan was one of Collingwood's better players - most inside 50s, clearances and 1st possessions on the ground. Also had 7 tackles. His total possesions were lower than normal because of the nature of the game.

One of the turning points of the game was when Didak was crunched by 3 St Kilda players on the members wing in the 2nd quarter - he copped a stray boot in the head, and had very little impact on the game after that.

I would be stunned if Davis plays next week - clearly worst on ground for Collingwood.

My top 5:

5 Lenny Hayes
4 Brendon Goddard
3 Dale Thomas
2 Heath Shaw
1 Dane Swan

bornadog
26-09-2010, 12:34 PM
Hayes was consistently good for 4 quarters. Goddard second half only so I give it to Hayes.

LostDoggy
26-09-2010, 12:37 PM
3 votes Goddard
2 votes Hayes / Maxwell
1 Gilbert

azabob
26-09-2010, 01:10 PM
Hayes was consistently good for 4 quarters. Goddard second half only so I give it to Hayes.

I really thought Goddard was good in the second half of the first quarter to help steady St.Kidla and get them back in it.

soupman
26-09-2010, 01:12 PM
It's out of Goddard and Hayes, and Goddard wins for mine.

Honourable mentions to Schneider, Fisher (kept them in it early), Maxwell, Thomas and Gilbert.

And Koschitzke is a spud.

mjp
26-09-2010, 01:15 PM
And Koschitzke is a spud.

Gardiner's injury will be all that saves him from missing out on the replay.

soupman
26-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Gardiner's injury will be all that saves him from missing out on the replay.

He's very lucky. At least his equivalent at Collingwood in Leigh Brown actually brings something to the table, even if he was quiet yesterday. Koschitzke never looked like it.

LostDoggy
26-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Hayes for mine, his clearances yesterday were amazing. Goddard was also good, but more in the 2nd half than all day. Thanks for the $100 Lenny! :D

comrade
26-09-2010, 01:37 PM
My fingers are crossed that Ward develops into something remotely similar to Lenny.

boydogs
26-09-2010, 02:40 PM
My fingers are crossed that Ward develops into something remotely similar to Lenny.

Will be a step quicker and have a bigger kick IMO

azabob
26-09-2010, 03:11 PM

So he'll kick a goal 55 meters out rather than 53 in the last quarter of a grand final? ;)

bornadog
26-09-2010, 03:29 PM
So he'll kick a goal 55 meters out rather than 53 in the last quarter of a grand final? ;)

Ward's kicking this season was hampered by his groin and hip issues, otherwise he is a beautiful kick and no doubt could goal from outside 50 at his best.

Bulldog Joe
26-09-2010, 04:14 PM
Was at the game and to half time i thought Swan was the most influential. Fisher was probably the Saints best at that stage.

After half time and Goddard was superb in the third but Hayes was a constant and the driving force in the last quarter.

Thomas was very good but made about 3 critical errors in the second half. His blazing shot that he missed followed by the give off to Blair when he was clearly in position to just kick the goal. He did keep going though. I also thought Kosi was a significant contributor in the second half. Heath Shaw provided some critical plays for the Pies.

My votes

3 Hayes
2 Goddard
1 Thomas.

I attended with a Collingwood supporter and we agreed on those as the best.

AndrewP6
26-09-2010, 05:06 PM
I'm no expert given my disinterest in the game, I was too busy playing with my new camera. However, Hayes goes alright ;) Great reading in the Hun today about the missed opportunities for the Pies - Cloke and Thomas amongst the culprits...

chef
26-09-2010, 05:10 PM
My votes

3 Hayes
2 Goddard
1 Thomas.

Mine too, Hayes was awesome.

Doc26
26-09-2010, 05:25 PM
Was at the game.

Hayes was clearly my Norm Smith straight after the game.

After watching the replay last night, it was closer than what I thought. Both Goddard or Hayes were worthy, toss of the coin.

How did Reily from The Australian not even give Goddard one vote?

Fair point although I noticed he was the only one to have given Sam Fisher a vote who I thought over the four quarters was excellent and dominated the rebounds although his kicking efficiency can let him down. Not sure what it is with Fisher that no one seems to give a damn shutting him down anymore. He had a field day against us in the Prelim. as a lose man in defence.

Ozza
27-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Goddard.

3 big contested marks during the game...2 of them resulting in important goals. The most contested possessions on the ground. Was absolutely everywhere.

Lenny was fantastic - but many of his kicks (while helpful) were banging it forward to get yards up the ground...I thought Goddard had slightly more overall impact.

Mantis
27-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Lenny was fantastic - but many of his kicks (while helpful) were banging it forward to get yards up the ground...I thought Goddard had slightly more overall impact.

This describes how St.Kilda got back into the game.

lemmon
27-09-2010, 01:38 PM
3 Goddard 2 Hayes 1 Thomas

I thought I had pulled off a masterstroke at quarter time having a litlle bit of my hard earned on Thomas but unfortunately he was outdone

1eyedog
27-09-2010, 03:22 PM

I think he'll be a bit more creative because he looks a smarter player

Goddard for mine with Hayes not far behind. Goddard was sensational.

comrade
27-09-2010, 03:52 PM

I think he'll be a bit more creative because he looks a smarter player

So Ward will end up quicker, with a longer kick and more smarts than Lenny Hayes?

Awesome! ;)

Desipura
27-09-2010, 04:04 PM
So Ward will end up quicker, with a longer kick and more smarts than Lenny Hayes?

Awesome! ;)
Ward is just about to go into surgery today (27/9). All being well, it wont disrupt his pre season.

Greystache
27-09-2010, 04:07 PM
For me it was

3. Hayes
2. Goddard
1. Thomas

And for me to give Dale Thomas a vote means he had to have played REALLY well. I hate that little fairy!

Greystache
27-09-2010, 04:08 PM
Ward is just about to go into surgery today (27/9). All being well, it wont disrupt his pre season.

Do you know what he's having done? ie Bone shaving or ligament release?

Sockeye Salmon
27-09-2010, 04:47 PM
For me it was

3. Hayes
2. Goddard
1. Thomas

And for me to give Dale Thomas a vote means he had to have played REALLY well. I hate that little fairy!

I told my little bloke that Daisy Thomas was the only girl playing in the AFL. "Like Chloe at Auskick, Dad?"

"Yeah, mate. Just like Chloe at Auskick".

He's dead set convinced Thomas is a girl.

Ozza
27-09-2010, 04:53 PM
I told my little bloke that Daisy Thomas was the only girl playing in the AFL. "Like Chloe at Auskick, Dad?"

Hahahahhahaaha that is bloody hillarious. "Yeah mate, Just like Chloe at Auskick" !!

I actually like Thomas as a player...but that is p1ss funny.

Greystache
27-09-2010, 04:55 PM

Haha, Brilliant!

bornadog
27-09-2010, 05:26 PM

But he is:D

Murphy'sLore
07-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Could have sworn I heard Thomas after the replay saying he wished his partner was here so he could give him a hug...

But since no one else reacted I guess what he actually said was "pa"!