PDA

View Full Version : Hird to coach Bombers in 2011

Greystache
27-09-2010, 04:13 PM
The HUN is reporting Hird has agreed to coach Essendon in 2011, also Goodwin to be a potential Assistant Coach.

EXCLUSIVE: James Hird will be named Essendon coach after clearing the final hurdle in a fairytale return to Windy Hill.
After weeks of intense speculation, Hird has finally committed himself to the Bombers after making the necessary arrangements in his business life.

Hird has told business partners at Gemba, the sports marketing company he parts owns, of his love for Essendon and his intention to coach the club.

In an emotional meeting, he also spoke of the enormous pride he had in his staff and company.

His family are fully supportive of his move.

While the Bombers have still not finalised their entire coaching department and set-up, Hird will be appointed the senior coach.

He could not be contacted today.

It’s possible the appointment will be announced before Friday night’s best-and-fairest count.

The former skipper, 37, has had several meetings with the Bombers hierarchy and while a contract has not been signed, there is an understanding in place.

Hird is supportive of a senior mentor/coaching director to be put in place, with the likely senior assistant coming from former Port Adelaide coach Mark Williams or his former assistant Dean Laidley.

Geelong coach Mark Thompson is beieved to be unattainable.

Williams, who was to be interviewed today by the Bombers, and Laidley are among several candidates for the senior position.

Hird has not orchestrated his group of assistant coaches, but it’s understood former Adelaide captain Simon Goodwin has agreed to join the club as an assistant.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/hird-to-coach-bombers/story-e6frf9jf-1225930046780

Greystache
27-09-2010, 04:15 PM
It seems they aren't too fussed about the Voss situation in Brisbane, perhaps they think St Jimmy is the only way to reunite the factions. Will be interesting how long the honeymoon lasts if they continue to struggle.

LostDoggy
27-09-2010, 04:17 PM
Excellent news. Don't have to worry about Essendon being a premiership contender for 10 years.

Topdog
27-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Hird is very different to Voss.

1) He can speak English clearly and is able to articulate what he wants.

2) He isn't an arrogant SOB.

Not saying he will be successful but just because Voss couldnt do it doesn't mean that Hird won't be able to. Needs good assistants and more importantly needs to actually listen to those assistants.

chef
27-09-2010, 04:31 PM
As long as he surrounds himself with the right people he should be fine.

comrade
27-09-2010, 04:38 PM
The fact they're looking to support him with a senior assistant is a very good move and pretty much guarantees he won't do a Voss.

I actually thought Hird would make a great president for Essendon.

lemmon
27-09-2010, 04:51 PM
The article also states that Goodwin seems to have agreed to join Hirds staff, rules him out for us then

LostDoggy
27-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Tim Watson will be pleased with this appointment. Could push him up the list of failed coaches.

ledge
27-09-2010, 04:54 PM

Not saying he will be successful but just because Voss couldnt do it doesn't mean that Hird won't be able to. Needs good assistants and more importantly needs to actually listen to those assistants.

On your second point I dont agree, I have witnessed him being very arrogant against his own club supporters.

Topdog
27-09-2010, 04:58 PM
On your second point I dont agree, I have witnessed him being very arrogant against his own club supporters.

What does that mean?

From everything I have seen of him he is able to back down from a point he makes and admits to his mistakes.

Greystache
27-09-2010, 04:59 PM

This will be the key. Voss' ego is far to big to ever have someone around him that could dilute his absolute control, and if Brisbane realise their mistake and try to bring someone in Voss will tear the club appart in his determination to ignore anything they have to say. Hird will need to suck it up initially until he finds his feet, he's pretty big on himself too, but he's substantially smarter than Voss and will probably learn from his errors.

LostDoggy
27-09-2010, 05:28 PM
This will be the key. Voss' ego is far to big to ever have someone around him that could dilute his absolute control, and if Brisbane realise their mistake and try to bring someone in Voss will tear the club appart in his determination to ignore anything they have to say. Hird will need to suck it up initially until he finds his feet, he's pretty big on himself too, but he's substantially smarter than Voss and will probably learn from his errors.

You sound a bit like Aker there 'Tache.

Greystache
27-09-2010, 05:29 PM
You sound a bit like Aker there 'Tache.

Slaughtered more English than William Wallace!

ledge
27-09-2010, 06:26 PM
What does that mean?

From everything I have seen of him he is able to back down from a point he makes and admits to his mistakes.

Just the way I saw him treat a very old man one day at a game.
The man offered his hand to say hello and he looked at him brushed him aside and kept walking.
I think it was very embarrasing for even the Essendon supporters who witnessed it as well.

Topdog
27-09-2010, 08:00 PM
That's not arrogance and nothing that would effect his coaching. Would just make him a prick at that point in time.

ledge
27-09-2010, 08:08 PM
Sorry Topdog it was arrogance he stared him in the eye and pushed a bloke i rekon was over 70 out the way, the bloke had a walking stick. It was at halftime in a game he wasnt even playing in.
I also have other examples, the man is an arrogant stuck up prick.

FrediKanoute
27-09-2010, 08:37 PM

Agree.....its eems as though Essendon will splash the cash to get him the right people!

ledge
27-09-2010, 08:45 PM
Amazes me he gets headcoach and assistants teach him , shouldnt it be other way round?
More like Malthouse/Buckley apprenticeship.

Remi Moses
28-09-2010, 05:47 AM
The Band is coming back together. Hird is going through the coaching appointment process! But then says he hasn't decided what process will take place when he's appointed:rolleyes:According to Greg Denham (take that with a crap load of salt) that Bomber Thompson will be director of coaching.
Denham never get's it wrong:rolleyes:

LostDoggy
28-09-2010, 09:46 AM
Slaughtered more English than William Wallace!

And you say that like it's a bad thing!!:D:D

Greystache
28-09-2010, 09:49 AM
Press conference at 10am to confirm.

There's also talk on SEN that Bomber Thompson is a chance to join him as the director of coaching. Geelong wouldn't return their calls to confirm or deny, so it may have some legs.

Desipura
28-09-2010, 10:02 AM
His blonde locks will go after a few years coaching, his Jodie Meares (ears) will stand out even more! :D

chef
28-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Bomber Thompson is about to resign and join Hird at the bombers:eek:

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2010/09/28/thompson-shocks-the-cats-with-resignation/

Bulldog Revolution
28-09-2010, 02:04 PM
Bomber Thompson is about to resign and join Hird at the bombers:eek:

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2010/09/28/thompson-shocks-the-cats-with-resignation/

This becomes a great day for the Essendon footy club

Remi Moses
28-09-2010, 02:14 PM
Why wouldn't you just make Bomber coach and Hird his assistant??Unless they're going to defy the ageing process and take the field they're miles away from being a force.
Apparently Essendon Coterie groups and members make coaching appointments there:eek:

Greystache
28-09-2010, 02:18 PM
Interesting now, The Age are still reporting Thompson is going to Essendon.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/thompson-tipped-to-resign-20100928-15uyu.html

But the HUN has changed their position to him staying at Geelong

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/bomber-thompson-set-to-quit-ast-geelong-coach/story-e6frf9jf-1225930803947

The latest updates are 5 mins apart.

jazzadogs
28-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Interesting now, The Age are still reporting Thompson is going to Essendon.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/thompson-tipped-to-resign-20100928-15uyu.html

But the HUN has changed their position to him staying at Geelong

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/bomber-thompson-set-to-quit-ast-geelong-coach/story-e6frf9jf-1225930803947

The latest updates are 5 mins apart.
Not sure if the update has changed for the Herald Sun, but it says he is definitely leaving Geelong, but there is decreasing speculation that he will be Director of Coaching at Essendon.

Greystache
28-09-2010, 02:41 PM
Not sure if the update has changed for the Herald Sun, but it says he is definitely leaving Geelong, but there is decreasing speculation that he will be Director of Coaching at Essendon.

I saw that, they've changed their position 3 times today, pretty amateur over at the HUN these days.

Remi Moses
28-09-2010, 03:14 PM
Bizarro world down Geelong rd sleepy hollow
Geelong are giving a press conference saying Bomber is suffering burnout and needs a holiday!
All that money from property development and coaching 2 Flags in 4 years will do that to you!!!
The world has gone officially mad:rolleyes:

jazzadogs
28-09-2010, 03:25 PM
Bizarro world down Geelong rd sleepy hollow
Geelong are giving a press conference saying Bomber is suffering burnout and needs a holiday!
All that money from property development and coaching 2 Flags in 4 years will do that to you!!!
The world has gone officially mad:rolleyes:
Yeh, crazy press conference. There was no real...announcement?

ReLoad
28-09-2010, 05:37 PM
4 year contract, they got sucked in. 4 years, LOL bwahahahaha. WTF are they thinking?

An untried guy who has never coached before, not even his kids juniors.

Dont get me wrong, I like hirdy, but the bombers clearly didnt pay any attention to the fact he is untried and were obscured in the smoke screen becuase he will win back members who have jumped ship (and they jumped ship because the team is crap and just needed an excuse to not pay up)

So Bombers sucked in, and good luck shooting bambi when bambi doesnt deliver.

4 years time and the bombers havent come through (which they wont given the draft concessinos going elsewhere, they are going to look stupid)

Ghost Dog
28-09-2010, 07:50 PM
He'll be surrounded by football brains. He's just a marketing tool I suppose. Coaching is a bit of a complex science. You wouldn't ask a former driver to become your pit team manager. Wish them luck. Success there depends on their assistant coach team I guess.