PDA

View Full Version : Tackling

LostDoggy
28-09-2010, 05:37 PM
I know its been highlighted in the Media about our lack of tackling and seeing the numbers for both teams in the Grand Final shows how far behind we are.
PRESSURE has become the new buzz word around the AFL and had to laugh how the game has changed back to one on one football all be it out of traditional positions. Which was also highlighted by the Grand Final.

I think our lack of tackling/pressure is more to do with our lack of PACE across the park than application.

We must recruit and play players who are able to have an impact in these key area's.

Thoughts?

Greystache
28-09-2010, 05:47 PM
I wouldn't say lack of pace is our primary issue, lack of intent to tackle is. Luke Ball is a slow as treacle these days but lays more tackles than most players in the AFL. Too often tackling is seen as "something I have to do, so I'll make and attempt", rather than a primary focus, which can be seen by the number of times we have 2 or 3 players go at the ball carrier allowing them to dish off to team mates. If we were genuinely focussed on tackling one player would go to the ball carrier and take him to ground, if he manages to dish it off then we would take down the player he gives it to, and so on etc.

This is what Collingwood do, and exactly what we don't.

LostDoggy
28-09-2010, 05:56 PM
I wouldn't say lack of pace is our primary issue, lack of intent to tackle is. Luke Ball is a slow as treacle these days but lays more tackles than most players in the AFL. Too often tackling is seen as "something I have to do, so I'll make and attempt", rather than a primary focus, which can be seen by the number of times we have 2 or 3 players go at the ball carrier allowing them to dish off to team mates. If we were genuinely focussed on tackling one player would go to the ball carrier and take him to ground, if he manages to dish it off then we would take down the player he gives it to, and so on etc.

This is what Collingwood do, and exactly what we don't.
The forward pressure this year was woeful. Not surprising for me to see that its also got to be the slowest area on the ground for us. Surely there is a correlation between the two. I get your point on Ball but he is in an area were the Ball is in dispute a lot. Picken and Ward for example would also be right up there for tackles. Watching players waltz through our forward line and the corridor because we cannot keep up surely is a factor. I saw plenty of players chasing and none except for maybe Grant making any in roads into a chase.

LostDoggy
28-09-2010, 06:02 PM
The seeming lack of desire to tackle this year has been our biggest fall from grace. This is what the successful teams do and we did not. Barring a few that put their hand up week after week. We certainly turned the tacfkle tap off in the third qtr of the prelim. How do opposition just seem to stroll away from our players some times.

Axe Man
28-09-2010, 06:32 PM
I think forward and tackling pressure is why the club may look at Djerrkura. I don't know a heap about him but at 176cm and 84kgs he is powerfully built and is meant to be fairly quick. According to his profile, in 2009 he: "Played three games and impressed with his speed, defensive pressure and tackling."

bornadog
28-09-2010, 06:40 PM
Essendon, Collingwood and the Saints were the number one tackling sides for the season, averaging around 80, whereas we were ranked bottom with 68. This means we shopuld have tackled at least another 12 times per game or 3 more per quarter, in my opinion, not a big ask.

However, statistics can be misleading, when you look at teams like Essendon.;)

ReLoad
28-09-2010, 06:52 PM
Pace and tackling are only related by a small degree. Tony Liberatore is the example of that.

Let the AFL's tackle count for what 7 years? he could nto out run my grandmother in her scooter.

What pace does is lets you get to the contest, whereas the art of tackling is in itself that, an art, players are also naturally gifted with strength in certain parts of thier body in breaking tackles, Judd is the master and Griffen isnt far behind him in that respect.

What an expert tackler can do is drop at the knees, or pin one arm, look at Robert murphys tackle versus the swans, he basically grabbed the guy then dropped and brought him down with him, text book stuff.

In short, the vast majority of our tackles dont stick, which is an indication of technique or a certain type of strength.

I dont have access to Champion Data anymore, but attempted tackles is a great stat that is more indicative of pace in getting to the contest, perhaps someone can shed the details.

bornadog
29-09-2010, 12:06 AM
Pace and tackling are only related by a small degree. Tony Liberatore is the example of that.

Let the AFL's tackle count for what 7 years? he could nto out run my grandmother in her scooter.

What pace does is lets you get to the contest, whereas the art of tackling is in itself that, an art, players are also naturally gifted with strength in certain parts of thier body in breaking tackles, Judd is the master and Griffen isnt far behind him in that respect.

What an expert tackler can do is drop at the knees, or pin one arm, look at Robert murphys tackle versus the swans, he basically grabbed the guy then dropped and brought him down with him, text book stuff.

In short, the vast majority of our tackles dont stick, which is an indication of technique or a certain type of strength.

I dont have access to Champion Data anymore, but attempted tackles is a great stat that is more indicative of pace in getting to the contest, perhaps someone can shed the details.

Another interesting stat would be a comparison of teams and where the tackles took place, ie Forward 50, back 50 or middle of the ground. I guess Collingwoods forward pressure would once more show out.

Remi Moses
29-09-2010, 12:48 AM
Collingwood had 53 tackles to half time!!!
We need to address this ASAP

bornadog
29-09-2010, 10:28 AM
Collingwood had 53 tackles to half time!!!
We need to address this ASAP

Interesting thing was in the prellim, the tackle count was even with the Saints and then we fell away in the second half.

Mofra
29-09-2010, 10:42 AM
Grant Thomas was spot on about 9 of our senior guys being well below the mark in the prelim in the tackle count.
As I understand it Aker was our tackling coach this season - that doesn't sound like we had much emphasis on it to me. I want someone with more mongrel teaching us tackling.

Interestingly, Gia was 5th, Hill was 6th, Aker 10th and Hahn 13th on our average tackles list for 2010. Given Gia is the only player of the bunch likely to play 22 games next year (and he'll still be called weak if he maintains that average) we have a huge amount of catching up to do in this stat, especially considering guys like Murphy, Hall & Williams average little better than 1 per game.

Desipura
29-09-2010, 10:52 AM
I would be interested to see how many tackles were laid individually against St Kilda in the prelim.

Curly5
29-09-2010, 11:07 AM

Tackles that don't stick is a major irritation to me, when other sides seem so much better at it. Early in the season our tackling was pretty good but it was noticeable that other teams, good example Collingwood, really stepped it up while ours fell away. Seeing how we finished the season, unfit and injured, I wonder how much this contributed to our falling levels of tackling effectiveness. For sure, it's a major area that needs to be addressed.

Mofra
29-09-2010, 11:20 AM
I would be interested to see how many tackles were laid individually against St Kilda in the prelim.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=5144

Johnson, Hudson, Lake & Eagleton = 0 tackles between them.

Cross had 8, Ward, Shaggy, Picken & Hahn all next best with 5 each.

Desipura
29-09-2010, 11:35 AM

Addison only one tackle yet he was one of our better players in the first half.
Admittedly would have been difficult to tackle with busted ribs in the 2nd half.
Basically if you are not getting alot of the ball, you want to have some other impact on the game ie tackling.

bornadog
29-09-2010, 11:39 AM

Lenny Hayes = 7, Boyd 2

Says it all

Desipura
29-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Tambling played 13 games this year and averaged 4.4 tackles a game. Only kicked 3 goals. Similar tackling stats to Boydy who averaged 4.6.

I would prefer Tambling over Walker an Sherman as I believe his upside is bigger. Play him closer to goal than he has played previously.

Over the last 3 years his tackle count is:

2008 (13 games) 3.3 avg per game. 10 goals for the season
2009 (20 games) 3.2 avg per game. 8 goals for the season
2010 (22 games) 4.4 avg per game. 3 goals for the season

Desipura
29-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Lenny Hayes = 7, Boyd 2

Says it all
How about Hudson who had NIL.