PDA

View Full Version : Ablett press conference 12.30pm

KT31
29-09-2010, 09:10 AM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/cats-left-reeling-as-gary-ablett-and-mark-thompson-look-like-leaving-the-club/story-e6frf9ox-1225931557032

Mofra
29-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Good - Geelong go into rebuild and if they shed quality we may pick something up.

Desipura
29-09-2010, 09:36 AM
Good - Geelong go into rebuild and if they shed quality we may pick something up.

At a price.

bornadog
29-09-2010, 09:42 AM
2 million bucks per year, why the hell wouldn't you go.

OLD SCRAGGer
29-09-2010, 10:58 AM
KB on SEN just announced that Brian Cook has confirmed Ablett has gone to Gold Coast. Also, apparently Ablett's name has been struck from Geelongs list on their web site!!!

Greystache
29-09-2010, 11:11 AM
KB on SEN just announced that Brian Cook has confirmed Ablett has gone to Gold Coast. Also, apparently Ablett's name has been struck from Geelongs list on their web site!!!

It has indeed, good pick up.

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/players/tabid/8264/category/senior/season/2010/default.aspx

ledge
29-09-2010, 11:18 AM
Has Thompsons yet?

Greystache
29-09-2010, 11:20 AM
Has Thompsons yet?

No.

http://www.gfc.com.au/coaches/tabid/4019/default.aspx

Topdog
29-09-2010, 11:25 AM
2 million bucks per year, why the hell wouldn't you go.

exactly.

ledge
29-09-2010, 11:26 AM
A bit of a mess it seems down Geelong way, I heard Costa was going too, maybe they see the end of an era?

Greystache
29-09-2010, 11:28 AM
A bit of a mess it seems down Geelong way, I heard Costa was going too, maybe they see the end of an era?

Yep Costa finishes this week I believe.

Mantis
29-09-2010, 11:34 AM
It has indeed, good pick up.

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/players/tabid/8264/category/senior/season/2010/default.aspx

It takes Geelong 5 minutes to remove Ablett from their list, but after a week Harbrow still appears on ours.

See here: http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/players/tabid/8976/category/senior/season/2010/default.aspx

Greystache
29-09-2010, 11:39 AM
It takes Geelong 5 minutes to remove Ablett from their list, but after a week Harbrow still appears on ours.

See here: http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/players/tabid/8976/category/senior/season/2010/default.aspx

Indeed. The maintenance of the official website is a particularly disappointing area of our club for me, especially as online communication is the way of the future, and the younger supporters don’t use anything else. It also takes until the NAB cup to add new players to the list, and round 1 of the H&A season to update their profiles. How accurate the height’s and weight’s are is anybody’s guess.

G-Mo77
29-09-2010, 01:01 PM
Aker was removed pretty quickly. ;)

LostDoggy
29-09-2010, 02:19 PM
So Geelong are unlikely to be much of a force next year without Ablett and his X-factor and without Thompson and his game plan. Playing Geelong could get a whole lot easier next year. Geelong Footbal Club and Rome seem to have many similarities. In fact this is now the GFC Crisis of 2010 as opposed to the GFC of 2009.

Remi Moses
29-09-2010, 02:40 PM
No great shock here.
This emphasizes why the AFL must put paid to any future GF replays,as this announcement and numerous other stories have dwarfed a Grand Final!
Announcements are always made in the week preceeding trade week,a silly antiquated rule that was relevant in the 40's and 70's but not in this era

LostDoggy
29-09-2010, 03:44 PM
After Brisbane's 4 Grand Final's appearences in a row, their downfall was bottom 8 from 2005-2008 and then Wooden Spoon 2010. Geelong headed that way? Anyone here think they won't make the 8 next year? I can't see them missing it.

Topdog
29-09-2010, 04:03 PM
I can see them not making it. They have a rapidly aging list and as we found out with Johnno and Hahn it can happen quickly. Without Ablett their next tier of midfielders will really be tested and I'm looking forward to seeing how Selwood copes with it. And finally no Thompson could throw things out quite a bit.

I actually think they will make the 8 though.

AndrewP6
29-09-2010, 05:13 PM

And "He who shall not be named" disappeared quick as a flash...but most WOOFers would be happy with that. :)

AndrewP6
29-09-2010, 05:15 PM
And "He who shall not be named" disappeared quick as a flash...but most WOOFers would be happy with that. :)

Aker was removed pretty quickly. ;)

Beat me to it. :)

LostDoggy
29-09-2010, 05:20 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing how Selwood copes with it. .

Yeah.
Nothing personal against Selwood but it does get me pissed off when you use to hear things like "he's played 80 games and only 5 have been losses".
(or whatever the stats are?)

BulldogBelle
29-09-2010, 08:07 PM
I'm glad it's all over and done with now, truly got sick of hearing about Gablett and how he was agonizing with the decision. Good luck to him and wish him the best, losing Harbrow doesn't seem so bad now when you compare it to the heartbroken Geelong supporters losing Ablett.

Mantis
29-09-2010, 08:10 PM
I'm glad it's all over and done with now, truly got sick of hearing about Gablett and how he was agonizing with the decision. Good luck to him and wish him the best, losing Harbrow doesn't seem so bad now when you compare it to the heartbroken Geelong supporters losing Ablett.

I wouldn't be complaining if I was a Geelong supporter as at least GAjr helped them to 2 flags.

BulldogBelle
29-09-2010, 08:20 PM
I wouldn't be complaining if I was a Geelong supporter as at least GAjr helped them to 2 flags.

Well that's exactly how I'd be thinking also, a couple of Geelong supporting workmates were absolutely distraught today to the point of not being able to eat their lunch. When the news was finally announced they both said that they won't win premierships without him and that they were doomed, they really love their Gaz. :D

Mantis
29-09-2010, 08:28 PM
Well that's exactly how I'd be thinking also, a couple of Geelong supporting workmates were absolutely distraught today to the point of not being able to eat their lunch. When the news was finally announced they both said that they won't win premierships without him and that they were doomed, they really love their Gaz. :D

Tell them to harden up.... 2 flags in 4 years and they still are sooking..... Our whole team could leave after winning just one flag.

And after their capitulation in the PF they wouldn't have won another one with him and they should be able to get some good players in with the picks they will receive.

BulldogBelle
29-09-2010, 08:41 PM
Tell them to harden up.... 2 flags in 4 years and they still are sooking..... Our whole team could leave after winning just one flag.

They are big time sooks, we've had many a conversation about what that team has achieved, I had a laugh as I was leaving work tonight, one of them whom I've never seen drink was in the boardroom drinking a beer, so I walked in and asked him why he was drinking and he just shook his shoulders and said "I'm really upset", I laughed and told him to get over it and that his team will be very well compensated for Ablett's departure.

1eyedog
29-09-2010, 08:42 PM

And after their capitulation in the PF they wouldn't have won another one with him and they should be able to get some good players in with the picks they will receive.

Exactly, haven't won a flag 44 years or whatever it is and then they win 2 in 3 years. That would keep a Bulldogs supporter going for 20-30 years.

KT31
30-09-2010, 11:33 PM
Exactly, haven't won a flag 44 years or whatever it is and then they win 2 in 3 years. That would keep a Bulldogs supporter going for 20-30 years.

Ah if only.:(

LostDoggy
01-10-2010, 08:00 AM

Yeah, can't believe some of these supporters of other teams - they are soft, just soft!:D