PDA

View Full Version : Brett Montgomery

divvydan
29-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Emma Quayle has just tweeted from the draft combine that Brett Montgomery is there with a WB jacket on and is a new assistant coach.

emmasq

& look who has shown up in a western bulldogs jacket... Brett Montgomery. New assistant coach

Every time he leaves he just keeps coming back :p

Thoughts?

Anyone know how he performed at Carlton?

G-Mo77
29-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Great news!

chef
29-09-2010, 06:08 PM
Good stuff.

The Pie Man
29-09-2010, 06:08 PM
Good result

How Carlton let him go after he was allegedly being considered for the Port job is baffling

AndrewP6
29-09-2010, 06:11 PM
Didn't mind him when with us... but FFS, make up your mind Monty - stay or go! ;)

strebla
29-09-2010, 06:16 PM
he will always be a bulldog at heart just like Scott West who i saw at three games with his family this year .

Max469
29-09-2010, 06:27 PM
This has made my day.

LostDoggy
29-09-2010, 06:36 PM
Great news - was a favourite son and is returning to his club

LostDoggy
29-09-2010, 06:38 PM
Welcome back Monty, my Mum was wrapped :)

azabob
29-09-2010, 07:13 PM
Apart from playing for us what does he bring?

He has success as a player but does he as a coach?

His last two years were under Brett Ratten who I don't rate as a good coach.

GVGjr
29-09-2010, 07:16 PM
He left us primarily for money and now he is back. Hope he can bring us some fresh ideas of how to beat some other clubs.

comrade
29-09-2010, 07:26 PM
I wanted a non-Bulldogs man from a successful system. Monty doesn't fulfill either criteria.

He was a tough man, well respected on field. Let's hope he's the same in the coaches box.

Rocco Jones
29-09-2010, 07:44 PM
I wanted a non-Bulldogs man from a successful system. Monty doesn't fulfill either criteria.

He was a tough man, well respected on field. Let's hope he's the same in the coaches box.

I don't really care whether it's a Bulldog or not but I do care about the successful system part. The former does make the latter impossible though unless they played for another club, which Monty did. Port had a pretty successful system when Monty was there.

2 of our 3 assistants have played ender Eade. I really hope he isn't just going with guys who knows/can trust/agree with him.

That being said, 2 of the 3 Collingwood assistants have played under Malthouse and they are doing alright.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Loved Monty as a player, always nice to see him back around the club.

Why didn't Carlton renew his contract though? What department was he looking after?

GVGjr
29-09-2010, 08:29 PM

I wanted someone who was seen as a potential senior coach and I'm not sure Monty fits the bill.

Mantis
29-09-2010, 09:02 PM
I wanted someone who was seen as a potential senior coach and I'm not sure Monty fits the bill.

Who would have been the likely suitors?

GVGjr
29-09-2010, 09:03 PM

Neeld, Scott and Richardson spring to mind but obviously not knowing their current contracts

Doc26
29-09-2010, 09:07 PM

Michael Voss.

LostDoggy
29-09-2010, 09:24 PM
Neeld, Scott and Richardson spring to mind but obviously not knowing their current contracts

Love Monty but I was hoping for much the same. Is there going to be any other changes Assistant wise?

Bulldog Revolution
29-09-2010, 10:49 PM

For what little its worth when Richardson was previously at the Dogs I was wholly unimpressed with him, and have been very surprised that he was even touted as an option at Essendon.

Brad Scott has made a good start, but I've almost never heard Chris say anything.

I think Monty is an excellent hire, and like the fact that he has a good working relationship with Eade.

I think its crucial Eade has some good senior Assistant input and if having a bit of trust in Monty helps him listen and take on board his ideas all well and good. Monty is a straight kind of guy, and wont be just sucking up to the players I wouldn't have thought. We need new coaching voices that are prepared to hold the group more accountable.

I'd like to see another assistant added to the mix also.

FrediKanoute
29-09-2010, 11:14 PM
I actualy think that Brett cold make a good senior coach. In his last season with the Doggies I understood that he spent a fair bit of time in the coaches box mainly due to injury and Eade was really impressed with his astute analysi of the game.

The fact that he is an ex-bulldog who given that Johnno has gone wouldn't have played extensively with the current group means that he has an understanding of the psyche of the club, but not the baggage of relationships.

azabob
29-09-2010, 11:38 PM

I agree. Which is why in an earlier post I asked what success has he had as a coach. What is Leigh Tudor doing? It was a very quick appointment. Who else did we look at and who is now classed as the senior assistant?

Bulldog Revolution
30-09-2010, 09:25 AM
I agree. Which is why in an earlier post I asked what success has he had as a coach. What is Leigh Tudor doing? It was a very quick appointment. Who else did we look at and who is now classed as the senior assistant?

Leigh Tudor has accepted a job with Sydney to work with Longmire

Interestingly Eade attempted to hire both Monty and Neeld previously but we were outbid for both

Paul Williams, or Monty would be the senior assistant in my eyes

ReLoad
30-09-2010, 09:59 AM
No offense to Monty, but I hope someone at least rang Brett Kirk, he epitomises everything we need at the club.

The Coon Dog
30-09-2010, 10:04 AM
No offense to Monty, but I hope someone at least rang Brett Kirk, he epitomises everything we need at the club.

With all due respect ReLoad, all we see of Brett Kirk is that part of the media that he lets in.

Great warrior, got the best out of himself, but how does anyone know he can coach?

I know people fall over themselves drinking Kirk's bathwater, but I just couldn't stand the bloke. I might be on my own, but I always felt he was rated much higher than what was warranted.

bornadog
30-09-2010, 10:50 AM
With all due respect ReLoad, all we see of Brett Kirk is that part of the media that he lets in.

Great warrior, got the best out of himself, but how does anyone know he can coach?

I know people fall over themselves drinking Kirk's bathwater, but I just couldn't stand the bloke. I might be on my own, but I always felt he was rated much higher than what was warranted.

Not on your own with that one.

Mofra
30-09-2010, 02:11 PM
I always got the feeling Kirk (and Roos for that Matter) were carefully scripted characitures as much as they were football identities. Don't dislike the guy, but I don't believe the hype either.

Remi Moses
30-09-2010, 03:23 PM
Don't dislike Kirk but must confess the whole Bloods tripe got up my goat!
No Brett you're Sydney,the bloods played out of lake Oval and disappeared to Sydney in 82.

1eyedog
30-09-2010, 03:43 PM

x2

Written into AFL as a Karma concious team-orientated Buddist who everyone loved. Seems like a construct to me. I don't dislike his brand but I didn't se anything other than a bloke with very little ability throw himself around.

KT31
30-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Didn't mind him when with us... but FFS, make up your mind Monty - stay or go! ;)

Now Monty is doing a Monty.
The human yo-yo.:D

LostDoggy
30-09-2010, 04:22 PM
x2

Written into AFL as a Karma concious team-orientated Buddist who everyone loved. Seems like a construct to me. I don't dislike his brand but I didn't se anything other than a bloke with very little ability throw himself around.

I wonder which of the media-spawned bollocks Will Minson would prefer? A German-speaking saxophonist extraordinaire, or a Karma concious team-oriented Buddist.

Jasper
30-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Apart from playing for us what does he bring?

He has success as a player but does he as a coach?

His last two years were under Brett Ratten who I don't rate as a good coach.

The simple fact he was interviewed for a senior coaching job is enough for me. Fills the Leon Cameron gap with aplomb

Jasper
30-09-2010, 06:33 PM

I know someone who toured Ireland with the Australian team many years ago, and Kirk was the clear leader of the group that every other player respected and looked up to.

We have some very skilled natural footballers that could learn a lot from a man of that calibre.

I would be delighted if our club displayed the level of commitment to the contest and defensive mindset that Swans have shown for the past 7-8 seasons.

KT31
30-09-2010, 07:32 PM
I wonder which of the media-spawned bollocks Will Minson would prefer? A German-speaking saxophonist extraordinaire, or a Karma concious team-oriented Buddist.

I know what I would prefer.
Most improved 2011 Premiership, All Australian ruckman.

SPower
30-09-2010, 07:42 PM

Perhaps if our doggies had a few leaders of Kirk's calibre we may have won a few premierships in the past 5 years.
Sorry but take off the glasses.

KT31
30-09-2010, 07:55 PM
Perhaps if our doggies had a few leaders of Kirk's calibre we may have won a few premierships in the past 5 years.
Sorry but take off the glasses.

We have Bazza, one of Kirks co-captains in Sydneys Premiership year.:p

ReLoad
30-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Sure the media totally dig Kirk, and the fantasy fairy tale makes for some more small sized papers sold, but seriously its not about that, you may hate him, you may not like him, but players respect him, he gets the best out of himself and the others around him.

That's leadership, its about inspiring others to go that extra yard, make the extra tackle, etc.

So Love him or hate him he brings a lot to the table:
Premiership success
Premiership defeat
Captain of a team
natural born leader, who leads by example
highly intelligent
Inspirational father figure for younger guys.
totally uncompromising
highly focussed & results driven.

Now sure, Monty ticks a few of those boxes too, and i'm not complaining about Monty, but i seriously think we need something different, something to really learn from, and someone like Brett Kirk is exactly that guy.

So how about we try something different for a change, get in a total outsider.

Heck knows he's good for business, he will give the media something to talk about, and even our most hardened and seasoned warriors would learn something from him.

So let me put it to you this way, if you are looking at making up 10-15% difference on the top 2 teams, who is more likely to help bridge the gap, Monty or Kirk?

LostDoggy
30-09-2010, 08:58 PM
I think Monty has a lot to offer and am very pleased with his appointment.

LostDoggy
30-09-2010, 10:46 PM
Its 'Captain Kirk' as the Sydney media and AFL friendly like to put it. The love for him is really sickening. Never seen a player get such a cushy ride from the umps for years of continually scragging. He is a Buddhist so he must be champion.

Not sure how you can compare it to the Minson media hype either.

Rocco Jones
30-09-2010, 10:56 PM
I agree that the gushing over his buddhism can be a bit much but surely he shouldn't get so much dislike/hate for it either.

Odd that the same people who dislike Kirk for a perceived alternative gimmick also love Bobby. Me thinks the tables would be turned if Bobby was a Swan and Kirk a Dog.

LostDoggy
30-09-2010, 11:12 PM
I agree that the gushing over his buddhism can be a bit much but surely he shouldn't get so much dislike/hate for it either.

Odd that the same people who dislike Kirk for a perceived alternative gimmick also love Bobby. Me thinks the tables would be turned if Bobby was a Swan and Kirk a Dog.

The buddhism bit is just extra, he made a football career out of umps turning a blind eye on his holding, pushing and general bending of the rules, just look at his matches against Scott West.
Most Sydney fans and the media up there never saw him like that cos many are really AFL ignorant up there.
Most of his career he was a glorified tagger, if only the Bakers and Liberatores got the same luxury!

Jasper
01-10-2010, 08:55 AM
Eade didn't get the best out of Kirk, he only kicked on after Eade left Sydney, draw your own conclusions, but why would anyone think Kirk would come near us and Eade?

Earlier posts suggesting that Kirk's value is questionable are laughable, coming from a club that is clearly viewed as 'gettable' in any big game because of its mental fragility.

Yeah we don't need someone like Kirk who led the club with the longest premiership drought to a premiership...ring any bells? Fair dinkum the rose coloured glasses of some on this board are incredibly red white and blue.

comrade
01-10-2010, 08:58 AM
Eade didn't get the best out of Kirk, he only kicked on after Eade left Sydney, draw your own conclusions, but why would anyone think Kirk would come near us and Eade?

Earlier posts suggesting that Kirk's value is questionable are laughable, coming from a club that is clearly viewed as 'gettable' in any big game because of its mental fragility.

Yeah we don't need someone like Kirk who led the club with the longest premiership drought to a premiership...ring any bells? Fair dinkum the rose coloured glasses of some on this board are incredibly red white and blue.

But can he coach? Or would would you like him to just stand around being inspirational?

LostDoggy
01-10-2010, 09:02 AM
But can he coach? Or would would you like him to just stand around being inspirational?

Of course he can, he is a Buddhist, the media love him and the general public are sucked in by his aura.

ReLoad
01-10-2010, 10:14 AM
Of course he can, he is a Buddhist, the media love him and the general public are sucked in by his aura.

What on earth does his religeous beliefs have anything to do with his ability to lead and inspire?

Anyone who has heard the guy speak, know his worth and value, by bringing in subjective "I dont like him because he is a media darling, or whatever other personal XYZ" posts reak of ignorance.

Needless to say its all subjective as we've got the Full Monty now.

Personally, i would ask you all this question: Did we leave no stone unturned in finding the best coach available to us? did we use all of our available resources in the search and recruitment process? did we make a choice without compromise?

Greystache
01-10-2010, 10:20 AM

What on earth does his religeous beliefs have anything to do with his ability to lead and inspire?

Anyone who has heard the guy speak, know his worth and value, by bringing in subjective "I dont like him because he is a media darling, or whatever other personal XYZ" posts reak of ignorance.

Needless to say its all subjective as we've got the Full Monty now.

Personally, i would ask you all this question: Did we leave no stone unturned in finding the best coach available to us? did we use all of our available resources in the search and recruitment process? did we make a choice without compromise?

Insert irony emoticon!

Greystache
01-10-2010, 10:23 AM

I like the idea of this role. In the modern game where every club are looking to create new positions to show how forward thinking they are, we could create a "Director of spritual inspiration" ;)

chef
01-10-2010, 06:15 PM
One of the reasons why Walker chose us over Adelaide is because of Monty.

Jasper
01-10-2010, 06:54 PM

Don't know. Was really responding to queries on Kirk's leadership ability which I don't believe are justified. Inspiring people is just one aspect of leadership. From afar what I see Eade inspiring is fear and loathing.

comrade
01-10-2010, 06:58 PM
From afar what I see Eade inspiring is fear and loathing.

I think that's unreasonable. What are you referring to?

Jasper
01-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Eade is old school, he sprays players like Barrassi - no good for this generation, they need a cuddle and a kiss and to be told how special they are. Eade tells them how it is, but he appears to lose control. I admit the loathing comment is perhaps excessive, but then we have players wanting to leave, our young 'talent'

LostDoggy
01-10-2010, 09:07 PM
Eade is old school, he sprays players like Barrassi - no good for this generation, they need a cuddle and a kiss and to be told how special they are. Eade tells them how it is, but he appears to lose control. I admit the loathing comment is perhaps excessive, but then we have players wanting to leave, our young 'talent'
Sorry I don't believe that, even roos has a blast at players. It's pick your targets and moments. Brian lake wouldn't be the player he is if he was just cuddled and kissed.

Mantis
01-10-2010, 09:49 PM

Which players want to leave?

SPower
01-10-2010, 10:11 PM
Stack, Hill , Everitt for starters

Mantis
01-10-2010, 10:14 PM

Stack wants to head back to WA for family reasons which is understandable considering he has a young son who lives in his home state.

I haven't heard it confirmed the other 2 want to leave, have you?

The Coon Dog
01-10-2010, 10:16 PM

I've heard that Stack wants to go back to WA to be with his son, but the other 2 don't want to leave. That said, they may have a different opinion when their managers start hawking them around.

Rocco Jones
01-10-2010, 10:20 PM
I've heard that Stack wants to go back to WA to be with his son, but the other 2 don't want to leave. That said, they may have a different opinion when their managers start hawking them around.

Yep and every club has players (or player managers more to the point) who aren't happy.

The Coon Dog
01-10-2010, 10:21 PM
Yep and every club has players (or player managers more to the point) who aren't happy.

38 doesn't go into 22.

FrediKanoute
01-10-2010, 10:35 PM

God/Allah help us if this gen can't handle being told that they are rubbish. Its not possible for everyone to be the best facts of life are that most of us have significant room for improvement.

Jasper
02-10-2010, 12:12 AM
God/Allah help us if this gen can't handle being told that they are rubbish. Its not possible for everyone to be the best facts of life are that most of us have significant room for improvement.

We're starting to sound like a couple of old crusties, I remember when I got up to go to work, before I went to bed...:)

The Underdog
02-10-2010, 02:15 AM
One of the reasons why Walker chose us over Adelaide is because of Monty.

Hopefully Monty has a good relationship with Greg Swann because if history is any guide Carlton will take this to late Monday.
Be good if he can get to us for a fair price, but I've got a feeling with 2 extra days available for trading the only people who'll benefit are the guys who make up rumours in the paper (or the interweb, tweety thing, you know Facebook).