PDA

View Full Version : Dogs sniffing deals

chef
30-09-2010, 07:55 AM
SYDNEY forward Patrick Veszpremi is the latest name linked to the Western Bulldogs as the club sets its sights on several ready-made recruits.
Veszpremi joins Brisbane Lion Justin Sherman, Carlton's Andrew Walker and Geelong's Nathan Djerrkura on the Dogs' list of possibles heading into next week's trade period.

Although Bulldogs football manager James Fantasia yesterday delivered a firm "no comment" on Veszpremi, the young forward has sparked interest at Whitten Oval.

Veszpremi, 21, was the Swans' first draft pick in 2007 (No. 11 overall), but he could not win a regular senior role under coach Paul Roos.

Also hampered by injury, he managed just one game this year for a total of 11 over three years at the Swans.

Veszpremi is under contract, but is almost certain to be on the trade table when talks kick off on Tuesday. The Swans have indicated they will be active again and the forward wants a fresh start.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
.End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
While Veszpremi may be bound for Whitten Oval, Brett Montgomery is definitely about to lob at the club.

He was yesterday appointed an assistant coach at the Dogs, three weeks after leaving Carlton
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad-application/dogs-sniffing-deals/story-fn6bn647-1225932003341

Bulldog Joe
30-09-2010, 08:56 AM
SYDNEY forward Patrick Veszpremi is the latest name linked to the Western Bulldogs as the club sets its sights on several ready-made recruits.
Veszpremi joins Brisbane Lion Justin Sherman, Carlton's Andrew Walker and Geelong's Nathan Djerrkura on the Dogs' list of possibles heading into next week's trade period.

Although Bulldogs football manager James Fantasia yesterday delivered a firm "no comment" on Veszpremi, the young forward has sparked interest at Whitten Oval.

Veszpremi, 21, was the Swans' first draft pick in 2007 (No. 11 overall), but he could not win a regular senior role under coach Paul Roos.

Also hampered by injury, he managed just one game this year for a total of 11 over three years at the Swans.

Veszpremi is under contract, but is almost certain to be on the trade table when talks kick off on Tuesday. The Swans have indicated they will be active again and the forward wants a fresh start.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
.End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
While Veszpremi may be bound for Whitten Oval, Brett Montgomery is definitely about to lob at the club.

He was yesterday appointed an assistant coach at the Dogs, three weeks after leaving Carlton
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad-application/dogs-sniffing-deals/story-fn6bn647-1225932003341

Please NO!!!

Have a look at the 2008 final when he went down and CRIED after losing a contest with Tiller.

SoftPremi - Margarine Boy - Not hard enough for butter

Makes Jordy McMahon look tough

Mantis
30-09-2010, 09:05 AM
Please NO!!!

Have a look at the 2008 final when he went down and CRIED after losing a contest with Tiller.

Did he actually start crying or are you having a lend of us?

Bulldog Joe
30-09-2010, 09:13 AM
Did he actually start crying or are you having a lend of us?

If you can get a look at the replay, you will see that he went down and STAYED down after a minor contact with Tiller.

The trainers helped him from the ground and the commentators suggested he had incurred a serious injury. He dragged his legs as he was assisted from the ground and looked to be crying.

He subsequently returned to the ground and could not jump out of the way quick enough when Lake came charging through to gather a ball that SoftPremi should have put is body in and gathered.

comrade
30-09-2010, 09:17 AM
A number of senior Bulldogs players put up less than stellar efforts at times this year. If he's talented and prepared to work hard, I'm willing to forgive one incident from two years ago.

Bulldog Joe
30-09-2010, 09:24 AM
A number of senior Bulldogs players put up less than stellar efforts at times this year. If he's talented and prepared to work hard, I'm willing to forgive one incident from two years ago.

The effort from Softpremi was repeated within about 10 mins.

Beyond not putting the body on the line. He actually step aside to let the opponent get the ball.

Unforgiveable as far as I am concerned. Do we really want a shorter version of Patrick Bowden.

comrade
30-09-2010, 09:43 AM
The effort from Softpremi was repeated within about 10 mins.

Beyond not putting the body on the line. He actually step aside to let the opponent get the ball.

Yep, not good enough.

BUT....

Gilbee did similar things this year. Gia was brushed away with ease by a rookie in the first final.

Unforgiveable as far as I am concerned. Do we really want a shorter version of Patrick Bowden.

I’m not prepared to hang a kid based on one game in 2008. If the price is right, he’s prepared to work his butt off, and the footy department thinks he will add value then I’m willing to accept it.

Bulldog Joe
30-09-2010, 09:46 AM
Yep, not good enough.

BUT....

Gilbee did similar things this year. Gia was brushed away with ease by a rookie in the first final.

I’m not prepared to hang a kid based on one game in 2008. If the price is right, he’s prepared to work his butt off, and the footy department thinks he will add value then I’m willing to accept it.

I have not seen a Bulldog player provide an effort like Softpremi since Patrick Bowden departed.
Was not a matter of being brushed aside he actually jumped out of the way of Lake.

LostDoggy
30-09-2010, 10:21 AM
If can't get a game with the Swans (and their hard at it team ethic) and is injury prone, alarm bells should be ringing.

Mofra
30-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Please NO!!!

You're going to condemn a bloke's entire career over one incident? In his first year of AFL football? When he made the best 22 of a team playing finals?

Bryce Gibbs would have been cut from Carlton's list under the same criteria, and Gia wouldn't have lasted past his first season.

I'm more interested in what he could do for us rather than just panning one incident from an 18/19 year old.

The Coon Dog
30-09-2010, 10:23 AM
If can't get a game with the Swans (and their hard at it team ethic) and is injury prone, alarm bells should be ringing.

Doesn't always pan out like that. Sometimes all a player needs is a second opportunity, different training regime, different players, different game plan etc...

There have been heaps over the years who have made the most of a second chance, just look at David Rodan.

Desipura
30-09-2010, 10:32 AM
If we use that as an example, Geelong would not have picked up Tom Harley.
In reply to Bulldog Joe on Soft premi. I once saw Scott West (early in his career) duck his head in a contest at Waverley. See how things can change?

bornadog
30-09-2010, 10:34 AM
Monty returns again as assistant coach.

Bulldog Joe
30-09-2010, 10:56 AM
If we use that as an example, Geelong would not have picked up Tom Harley.
In reply to Bulldog Joe on Soft premi. I once saw Scott West (early in his career) duck his head in a contest at Waverley. See how things can change?

The occasional duck often looks worse than it is and is often due to being caught unaware.

It is entirely different to making a conscious effort to get out of the way.

What I saw in SoftPremi is the same as I saw in Patrick Bowden and I knew to be part of the make up of Jesse Wells (from my home town).

All solid boys without the fortitude to put their bodies in the contest and all found out when they moved from juniors to playing against men.

Look if the club does pick him up I will still support the club, but I will be amazed if he makes it. I did post in 2008 that he would not make it despite a lot of people being impressed by his first season.

He is also seen as injury prone, but I believe that is part of his lack of hardness. Just cannot imagine him playing sore, as most are required to do on a regular basis.

Desipura
30-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Time will tell I guess. I would not condemn him on one incident as there are many more examples like:

When Darcy went down at Telstra Dome as it was and went off on a stretcher.
I thought he did his knee then came back to the bench 15 minutes later doing short sprints.
Came back on the ground shortly after and played out the game without any discomfort.

The Garry Lyon incident when he went off on a stretcher holding his back and appeared to be crying. (it used to get alot of airplay even as recent as a few years ago).
Veszpremi is a left footer, something we have a shortage of, I am willing to give him a chance if he comes to us.

bornadog
30-09-2010, 11:20 AM
The Garry Lyon incident when he went off on a stretcher holding his back and appeared to be crying. (it used to get alot of airplay even as recent as a few years ago). .

I thought Lyon broke his leg at Whitten Oval in the last game of the year when we were both going for 5th spot to make the finals.

AndrewP6
30-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Time will tell I guess. I would not condemn him on one incident as there are many more examples like:

When Darcy went down at Telstra Dome as it was and went off on a stretcher.
I thought he did his knee then came back to the bench 15 minutes later doing short sprints.
Came back on the ground shortly after and played out the game without any discomfort.

The Garry Lyon incident when he went off on a stretcher holding his back and appeared to be crying. (it used to get alot of airplay even as recent as a few years ago).
Veszpremi is a left footer, something we have a shortage of, I am willing to give him a chance if he comes to us.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it was his leg. TFS play it all the time...

Desipura
30-09-2010, 11:41 AM
If it's the one I'm thinking of, it was his leg. TFS play it all the time...
Yes, I think that is the one.

LostDoggy
30-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Doesn't always pan out like that. Sometimes all a player needs is a second opportunity, different training regime, different players, different game plan etc...

There have been heaps over the years who have made the most of a second chance, just look at David Rodan.

Yes, I accept that.

He's a small forward (181 cm). He has been overtaken by the likes of Gary Rohan and Trent Dennis-Lane....so you would think we might not be getting top shelf. I would say it is a gamble given his past, but that is not to say he couldn't be successful at our club.

GVGjr
30-09-2010, 01:34 PM
Yes, I accept that.

He's a small forward (181 cm). He has been overtaken by the likes of Gary Rohan and Trent Dennis-Lane....so you would think we might not be getting top shelf. I would say it is a gamble given his past, but that is not to say he couldn't be successful at our club.
He's not super quick but based on what I have seen when he was a junior he really commanded the ball and attacked it. Times might have changed but I think we should look at him. I question if he has a tank that could be used in the midfield.

lemmon
30-09-2010, 02:00 PM
I would take him in a heartbeat and over most of the names that have been bandied around. He is very much a pure football with clean skills and can play as either a small forward or outside mid. Was a first rounder a few years back and a change of scenery could see him flourish

chef
30-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Please NO!!!

When was the last time you saw him play?

Bulldog Joe
30-09-2010, 06:45 PM
When was the last time you saw him play?

Did see him on TV in a game last year and he was again weak at the contest.

He is apparently injured a lot, without any major issue. That is another sign of someone who cannot play sore.

Every players gets sore but most just play through the relatively minor problems.

LostDoggy
30-09-2010, 08:31 PM
13) Patrick Veszpremi

What went right
It might surprise a lot of people given all the talk about his fitness and health issues, that Veszpremi only missed 3 reserves games this year. One was due to his appearance was in the seniors, and the other 2 was due to being on standby as a non-playing emergency. Veszpremi was named in the AFL Canberra Team of the Year and was the top Swan votegetter in the AFL Canberra B&F which highlights the strong season he had at reserves level. His one senior game for the year, as a late replacement for Shaw, was quite productive. Playing as a lead up forward, Veszpremi had 14 touches and took 9 marks but more significantly, only spent 62% time on ground.

Where he can improve
His aerobic fitness, or rather his lack of it, has been mentioned more than once as the key reason for his non-selection. Our head of recruiting Kinnear Beatson recently said that Veszpremi had groin adductor issues and well as a suspicion of osteitis pubis (since ruled out) during the pre-season which left him on the back foot preparation-wise. On the field, he seems to have lost the explosiveness which so wowed the crowds in his debut year. He lacked the jumping power in going for marking contests, and lost the quick acceleration off the mark that were hallmarks of Veszpremi's explosive game. As a result, a lot of the moves he tried didn't come off and left him looking very frustrated at times. He could also learn to be more of a team player and play the percentages more often, instead of trying to be the hero and opting for glory.

2011 outlook
Heavily linked to other clubs even before trade week has begun. The Swans are well-known to love a trade or three, but to get deals done they will need more than picks 21 and 37 they currently own. Veszpremi probably has the most trade currency of the fringe Swans, but being contracted for next year means that the Swans won't let him go for a pittance. If he does stay as a Swan, a solid pre-season program will be essential to getting off to the right start in the Longmire era. I do believe that there are spots in the forward line up for grabs and if he can get his body right, Veszpremi could claim one of them.

P.S could mean nothing its copied from a low level forum. :)

LostDoggy
30-09-2010, 08:33 PM
Patrick Veszpremi 2009 2010
Games 4 1
Kicks 6.3 11.0
Handballs 2.8 3.0
Possessions 9.0 14.0
Disposal Efficiency (%) 61.0 64.0
Contested Marks 0.8 1.0
Marks 3.5 9.0
Contested Possessions 3.8 4.0
Uncontested Possessions 5.0 10.0
Inside 50s 2.3 2.0
Clearances 0.3 0.0
Clangers 1.3 1.0
Tackles 2.0 1.0
Frees For 0.0 1.0
Frees Against 0.5 0.0
Goals 0.8 0.0
Behinds 0.8 0.0
Assists 0.8 1.0
Time on Ground (%) 64.0 62.0
2009 Reserves Stats (out of 18 possible games)
6 games
11 goals
Named in the best list twice for a total of 5 votes (equal 1st overall)

2010 Reserves Stats (out of 22 possible games)
19 games
27 goals (3rd at the Swans)
Named in the best 9 times for a total of 29 votes (5th overall)
Named in the AFL Canberra Team of the Year on the interchange
8 Mulrooney Medal votes (1st at the Swans)

Greystache
01-10-2010, 10:40 AM
13) Patrick Veszpremi

What went right
It might surprise a lot of people given all the talk about his fitness and health issues, that Veszpremi only missed 3 reserves games this year. One was due to his appearance was in the seniors, and the other 2 was due to being on standby as a non-playing emergency. Veszpremi was named in the AFL Canberra Team of the Year and was the top Swan votegetter in the AFL Canberra B&F which highlights the strong season he had at reserves level. His one senior game for the year, as a late replacement for Shaw, was quite productive. Playing as a lead up forward, Veszpremi had 14 touches and took 9 marks but more significantly, only spent 62% time on ground.

Where he can improve
His aerobic fitness, or rather his lack of it, has been mentioned more than once as the key reason for his non-selection. Our head of recruiting Kinnear Beatson recently said that Veszpremi had groin adductor issues and well as a suspicion of osteitis pubis (since ruled out) during the pre-season which left him on the back foot preparation-wise. On the field, he seems to have lost the explosiveness which so wowed the crowds in his debut year. He lacked the jumping power in going for marking contests, and lost the quick acceleration off the mark that were hallmarks of Veszpremi's explosive game. As a result, a lot of the moves he tried didn't come off and left him looking very frustrated at times. He could also learn to be more of a team player and play the percentages more often, instead of trying to be the hero and opting for glory.

2011 outlook
Heavily linked to other clubs even before trade week has begun. The Swans are well-known to love a trade or three, but to get deals done they will need more than picks 21 and 37 they currently own. Veszpremi probably has the most trade currency of the fringe Swans, but being contracted for next year means that the Swans won't let him go for a pittance. If he does stay as a Swan, a solid pre-season program will be essential to getting off to the right start in the Longmire era. I do believe that there are spots in the forward line up for grabs and if he can get his body right, Veszpremi could claim one of them.

P.S could mean nothing its copied from a low level forum. :)

Wow change the name and that could be Shaun Higgins!

bulldogsman
01-10-2010, 11:15 AM
I'm not sure on this one, he has talent to burn but apparently has attitude problems.

I'd consider a direct swap for Hill, that's about it.

Desipura
01-10-2010, 11:24 AM
I'm not sure on this one, he has talent to burn but apparently has attitude problems.

I'd consider a direct swap for Hill, that's about it.
On what both players have achieved thus far, that is too much to pay.

bulldogsman
01-10-2010, 03:06 PM
On what both players have achieved thus far, that is too much to pay.

Yes I know it is, but from my understanding Sydney don't want to let him go unless it's for something they like. I'm sure they would rather keep him if they only got like pick 60 from us.

He's got plenty of talent, just lacks fitness and conditioning (yet to do a full pre season but apparently attitude is a problem as well). We all know what happened with Grant after he got his attitude right and had a big pre season.