PDA

View Full Version : Which Player that left the Bulldogs devastated you the most?

bornadog
30-09-2010, 11:03 AM
Growing up I saw players like Dempsey, Quinlan, Round, Sandilands, Bissett, Tempelton, Hardie, Edmond, Hawkins to name a few champions plus others leave the club and I was so pissed off. I can understand how Geelong supporters must feel to lose such a good player, hey we lost three brownlow medalists and another three went on and got a brownlow at another club. (Quinlan, Round, Wilson)

The most I was devasted was losing Dempsey and Templeton to other clubs and of course I was not happy losing the others.

Which players leaving effected you the most and how did it effect you watching them play in different colours.

AndrewP6
30-09-2010, 11:09 AM
I remember as a kid being upset when Brad Hardie and Jim Edmond left. In more recent times, when Judas took the money and ran (for opportunities to 'play finals' :D) and Harbs leaving p***ed me off big time.

LostDoggy
30-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Nathan Brown.

Watched him kick his first goal at Princess park and knew he was gonna be special.

Quickly became my favorite player and integral to our side. He was so blessed with talent that he could play all over the park and because of our lack of goal kicking was moved as a permanent forward and dominated, a bit like Johnno.

It hurt like hell to see him wearing the yellow and black. I was shocked that anyone would leave our club, surely they loved the club as much as Idid, surely this couldn't happen. I was dirty on him for a long time after.

I think if you asked him if he was a bulldog or a tiger, I know what he would say, which makes it harder to swallow that he actually left.

Desipura
30-09-2010, 11:11 AM
Craig Somerville to Brisbane.

1eyedog
30-09-2010, 11:12 AM
Templeton, I cried like a baby (I was only 11). I remember the first image I saw of the trade was Barassi and Templeton in a Melbourne jumper shielding their eyes from the sun while standing next to a goal post.

I will never forget that image.

It was very, very weird seeing Hawk run around in a Lions jumper, but I know why he did it.

AndrewP6
30-09-2010, 11:21 AM
I thought this thread seemed familiar!:)

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=4606&highlight=player+leaving

Mofra
30-09-2010, 12:29 PM
I was disappointed we traded Monty out. As opposed to players leaving, I don't tend to bear much of a grudge - we simply don't know what goes on behind closed doors. If the rumours about Brown are true, he would have been an idiot to stay at the Bulldogs.

EasternWest
30-09-2010, 12:44 PM
I was disappointed we traded Monty out. As opposed to players leaving, I don't tend to bear much of a grudge - we simply don't know what goes on behind closed doors. If the rumours about Brown are true, he would have been an idiot to stay at the Bulldogs.

Forgive my ignorance, but what rumours?

LostDoggy
30-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Michael McLean going to Brisbane upset me the most. :(

Had his name & number on the back of my duffle coat!! :)

LostDoggy
30-09-2010, 01:08 PM
Luke Penny going to St.Kilda annoyed me the most. Pick 14 in the '98 draft, left acrimoniously because he wasn't given much of a run.
a) he was always injured;
b) he was expected to be our key defender for the next 10 years, but couldn't win a position over a 45yo, one-legged, cataract-ailed Matthew Croft, and;
c) The Saints gave him 5 years, given the aforementioned issues Penny had.

Nothing worse than footballers jumping ship when the going gets tough.

LostDoggy
30-09-2010, 01:43 PM
it will be Everett!

Mofra
30-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but what rumours?
We were paying him well below market value, he then made the AA squad and was presented with a contract that was similar in dollar value. The club basically had to make a call on realistic contract offers, and between Murphy and Brown we chose Murphy.

Don't know how much truth there is to it, but if I had made the AA squad after being paid well below my market value previously and was presented with a similar contract I'd walk too. Casey was known to be rather "helpful" in property development too.

LostDoggy
30-09-2010, 02:21 PM
it will be Everett!

+1 Would be shattered to see him go.

Being a youngin there hadn't been many defections that I remember, Harbrow's will cut deep if he regains all Aus form next year :(

Curly5
30-09-2010, 02:31 PM
We were paying him well below market value, he then made the AA squad and was presented with a contract that was similar in dollar value. The club basically had to make a call on realistic contract offers, and between Murphy and Brown we chose Murphy.

Don't know how much truth there is to it, but if I had made the AA squad after being paid well below my market value previously and was presented with a similar contract I'd walk too. Casey was known to be rather "helpful" in property development too.

That may well be but I was glad to see the back of him. Played disinterested for most of his last season. Those were desperate times (financially) for the club and all the players were underpaid. We were lucky there weren't more defections (other than the coach ;)) but maybe they didn't get any offers.

I was upset to lose Monty, but now he's back. :)

Remi Moses
30-09-2010, 06:46 PM
Templeton -Was gutted to see him go (although Chicago One's reaction is legendary)
Who'll ever forget Pie fans unleashing the "Moore Filth" Banner at the same time
Edmond- Clearly left for the cash
Brown- Well he did leave for big cash er sorry big crowds and September glory
:p
Dempsey - Left to play in a premiership at Norf( never happened)
Guess I've had time to digest Harbrow's defection so not overly disappointed.
Personally I'm not that shitted off if Andrejs leaves I think he's been overrated on here.

The Coon Dog
30-09-2010, 06:51 PM

Have you read Jim's version of why he left?

This is the extract in the Legends & Larrikins forum:

I never really played for money; it was just the love of the game. I wasn’t on big money at Footscray & at the end of the 1985 season I asked for a modest increase in salary. When I say modest, I mean just that, modest.

I didn’t believe it would be a problem actually. Unfortunately the club refused to budge. At this stage Geoffrey Eddelston became aware of the impasse & started to ring me, offering to fly me to Sydney for a chat. I wasn’t interested as I expected that things would be sorted out at Footscray.

Anyhow, one day Eddelston rings up & offers me 3 times the salary I was currently on. I still didn’t fly up there, but went back to the club & explained what was on offer elsewhere.

To my disappointment at the time an article appeared in the papers claiming I was using Sydney as a bargaining tool.

We didn’t have managers in those days & players negotiated their own contracts. Looking back I can see fault on both parts. I’m sure if we had our time again, both I & the club would have handled things differently.

At the time I was disappointed as I was prepared to remain at Footscray for about a third of the Sydney offer. I don’t think too many people really understood that to be honest.

Link (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=3818)

Dazza
30-09-2010, 06:58 PM
Nathan Brown.

Monty.

Wira.

Powell.

Was just a kid back then.

KT31
30-09-2010, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by Remi Moses
See TCD post.
Our management left a lot to be desired in those days and was the reason we were left so vunerable.

Bumper Bulldogs
30-09-2010, 08:00 PM
For me it was D.Hawkins. He was Footscray and to see him in another jumper was unthinkable. I know he was finished but back in those days it didn't matter, He was my age groups Ted Whitten.

LostDoggy
30-09-2010, 08:45 PM
I was really devastated when Leon Cameron left.....absolutely loved him...
Also Brown leaving was very upsetting for most of us...took a long time to get over that one.

LostDoggy
30-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Nathan Brown.

Watched him kick his first goal at Princess park and knew he was gonna be special.

Quickly became my favorite player and integral to our side. He was so blessed with talent that he could play all over the park and because of our lack of goal kicking was moved as a permanent forward and dominated, a bit like Johnno.

It hurt like hell to see him wearing the yellow and black. I was shocked that anyone would leave our club, surely they loved the club as much as Idid, surely this couldn't happen. I was dirty on him for a long time after.

I think if you asked him if he was a bulldog or a tiger, I know what he would say, which makes it harder to swallow that he actually left.

Agree with this post entirely.

I was talking about this to my Dad the other week & he doesn't remember like i do, a dominating footballer. I remember Brown dominating teams from the forward line & kicking bags for us, but he seems to not remember things that way.

Am i off the mark?

Hotdog60
30-09-2010, 08:57 PM
Templeton for me, although I think it was Melbourne who stuff him up in a night game so we ended up not losing that much because I think Kelvin didn't do too much after his knee went.

LostDoggy
30-09-2010, 09:02 PM
I was very disappointed with Penny going .... especially to St Kilda. But the biggest disappointment was when Wallet left and the way he left.

Really gave me the tom tits that one.

LostDoggy
30-09-2010, 09:18 PM
I was really devastated when Leon Cameron left.....absolutely loved him...Also Brown leaving was very upsetting for most of us...took a long time to get over that one.

Me too Missy!

Never forget Browns last game and the pasting me and a few mates gave him behind the goals in the last quarter, and Darce having a chuckle as we did it. I hope it was the longest quarter of his life. :)

bulldogsfight
30-09-2010, 09:31 PM
Bob Spargo as a migrant kid I latched on to number 8 , everyone had 3 , he went to WA in 1965 , my first devasting bulldog moment ..........:(

The Bulldogs Bite
30-09-2010, 10:24 PM
Monty was my favourite player when he left. I was gutted.

Brown, too. I'll always remember a couple of his games down at Skilled Stadium against the Cats. He dominated 'em, looked a class above everybody else on the ground. Didn't matter where he played - he was lethal.

GVGjr
30-09-2010, 10:39 PM
It has to be Quinlan for me. I don't think any Bulldogs player did as well as he did at another club.

He went from a good to very good player with us to a great player at Fitzroy.

LostDoggy
30-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Tony McGuinness for me, I was pretty young then and didn't know many players names but he was a favorite.

Bulldog Revolution
01-10-2010, 10:29 AM
Tony McGuinness for me, I was pretty young then and didn't know many players names but he was a favorite.

Couldnt agree more HM

McGuinness was a superstar, and to lose him for nothing hurt, I never questioned him because we was always honest about wanting to go back to Adelaide, but he was a ridiculously good player coming into his absolute prime.

If I'd really been old enough Quinlan would have hurt majorly, I loved watching Bernie kick goals for the Roys, and to trade a talent like that seems unfathomable in the modern game.

LostDoggy
01-10-2010, 12:19 PM

Absolutely! My earliest memory of any player leaving the Bulldogs was Tony McGuinness, and I was gutted that anyone would want to leave the Bulldogs.

Doc26
01-10-2010, 01:08 PM
Not a big name player but was gutted when we moved Michael McKenna on. Don't think I've ever forgiven the Club for that call.

Grantysghost
01-10-2010, 01:19 PM
When Murray Rance went to the eagirls, and also Tony McGuiness as mentioned above.

The Coon Dog
01-10-2010, 01:22 PM
Not a big name player but was gutted when we moved Michael McKenna on. Don't think I've ever forgiven the Club for that call.

Did Mickey get shunted along with Chris Burton?

Doc26
01-10-2010, 01:40 PM
Did Mickey get shunted along with Chris Burton?

Not sure of the details behind this trade but yes they both moved across to Richmond at end of the '84 season. In Michael's case he only played one more season of VFL football which was a real shame.

Bulldog Revolution
01-10-2010, 02:49 PM
Watched some old tapes of the 82-84 period not to long a go and was super impressed with McKenna

Just so hard at it, and really ran in straight lines

LostDoggy
01-10-2010, 05:34 PM
Doug Hawkins. When he left, I was only a teenager but I forked out for two memberships, one Footscray and one Fitzroy and went to every game I could. I took his number 7 off my jumper and have never worn another number since — I still wear that same jumper, into year number 20 now!

As a previous poster said, Dougie was 100% Footscray, he was 100% Braybrook, he represented everything that I loved about the Bulldogs. Watching him dance along his wing is one of the earliest memories of footy I have.

Shit, even talking about it now makes me want to cry. :)

After all these years, I think I'm finally over it, and I'm going to put Mitch Wallis' number on my back when he's drafted.

mighty_west
01-10-2010, 05:45 PM
Templeton, my first real Footscray hero, had the 31 on the back of the duffel coat, was also devastated when Hardie left.

Dancin' Douggy
01-10-2010, 11:50 PM
Doug Hawkins for me.
Yep. Doug.
Can't even bring myself to elaborate.

EasternWest
02-10-2010, 12:48 AM
Doug Hawkins. When he left, I was only a teenager but I forked out for two memberships, one Footscray and one Fitzroy and went to every game I could. I took his number 7 off my jumper and have never worn another number since — I still wear that same jumper, into year number 20 now!

As a previous poster said, Dougie was 100% Footscray, he was 100% Braybrook, he represented everything that I loved about the Bulldogs. Watching him dance along his wing is one of the earliest memories of footy I have.

Shit, even talking about it now makes me want to cry. :)

After all these years, I think I'm finally over it, and I'm going to put Mitch Wallis' number on my back when he's drafted.

Doug Hawkins for me.
Yep. Doug.

Thanks guys. Love it!

LostDoggy
02-10-2010, 11:15 AM
Although a little disappointed when the Hawk left, I can't say I was overly upset. When he left he'd played 330? Games for the dogs, was always going to be 'a Doggie' when he did retire, he gave the club all he could and left so he could keep playing the game he loved. He didn't leave for cash, a premiership or to piss off the club.

Dancin' Douggy
02-10-2010, 11:31 AM
I agree.
I was just devastated he'd been given the boot.
Never had a bad thought about Doug himself.

LostDoggy
06-10-2010, 03:32 PM
Although a little disappointed when the Hawk left, I can't say I was overly upset. When he left he'd played 330? Games for the dogs, was always going to be 'a Doggie' when he did retire, he gave the club all he could and left so he could keep playing the game he loved. He didn't leave for cash, a premiership or to piss off the club.

Oh yeah, I wasn't mad at him, not at all. As I said, went to as many of his games with the Royboys as I could. Was just sad.

LostDoggy
06-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Doug Hawkins for me.
Yep. Doug.

Yep.

And if Granty had gone to Port, that would have been it for me as far as football went. Yep.