PDA

View Full Version : Tim Callan - leaving?

azabob
01-10-2010, 10:47 PM
Heard that Tim Callan is moving on via Jen whitham on Twitter. She is at the best and fairest.

The Coon Dog
01-10-2010, 10:47 PM
Heard that Tim Callan is moving on via Jen whitham on Twitter. She is at the best and fairest.

I understand he has retired.

azabob
01-10-2010, 10:52 PM
I understand he has retired.

Thanks TCD. Apparently Eade thanked him during his speech.

comrade
01-10-2010, 11:05 PM
If that's the case, he went out in style with a great final game.

All the best Timmy!

Remi Moses
01-10-2010, 11:13 PM
Tim had a couple of great finals games and certainly a player who gave it his best shot.

mighty_west
01-10-2010, 11:17 PM
If only a few others had the same intensity & courage as Timmy.

comrade
01-10-2010, 11:19 PM
If only a few others had the same intensity & courage as Timmy.

Hard as a cat's head.

Jasper
02-10-2010, 12:18 AM
Am a little surprised at his decision (assuming it was), would have thought with Harbrow going a small back spot had opened up?

Mantis
02-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Am a little surprised at his decision (assuming it was), would have thought with Harbrow going a small back spot had opened up?

It was his decision.

He has a university degree (Business??) to fall back on and has been knocking back job offers for a few years now, but feels it's the right time to make the move.

LostDoggy
02-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Good luck to Timmy, in his future business decisions.

Have always appreciated his efforts for the club, a guy who always gave 100%.

EasternWest
02-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Yeah, good on you Tim. A guy I loved to watch because he tried his guts out every single time. And he seems like a good fella too.

LostDoggy
02-10-2010, 07:04 PM
What was the AFLPA award he won this year?

AndrewP6
02-10-2010, 08:21 PM
What was the AFLPA award he won this year?

Education and Training Excellence...

KT31
03-10-2010, 12:57 AM
It was his decision.

He has a university degree (Business??) to fall back on and has been knocking back job offers for a few years now, but feels it's the right time to make the move.

Still he will never get the chance to play footy at an elite level again.
It would only be a year or two before he could devote himself to business.
It must be a brilliant offer for him to make such a desision.
Good luck to him.

Greystache
04-10-2010, 10:59 AM
Anyone know if he's planning on continuing with Williamstown?

Mantis
04-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Anyone know if he's planning on continuing with Williamstown?

No idea, but I do know he has fielded off-shore job offers.

Bulldog Revolution
04-10-2010, 11:41 AM
I think he has a few degrees and could have taken a two year deal with us at the end of last year but opted for one in the event he did not get enough game time to warrant continuing

In terms of professionalism, effort and as a role model I am not sure Callan could have given us more

Greystache
04-10-2010, 03:49 PM
No idea, but I do know he has fielded off-shore job offers.

Fair enough, probably makes sense that he'd pull the pin on AFL to pursue them.

AndrewP6
04-10-2010, 09:06 PM
Still he will never get the chance to play footy at an elite level again.
It would only be a year or two before he could devote himself to business.
It must be a brilliant offer for him to make such a desision.
Good luck to him.

He's not had much of a chance since coming over to the Dogs...maybe saw the writing on the wall...

LostDoggy
29-10-2010, 07:21 AM
Mad dash: Callan to hospital, Picken to Australia

By Jennifer Witham
9:41 AM Thu 28 Oct, 2010

A RECENT venture to India almost ended in disaster for former Western Bulldogs defender Tim Callan after his peanut allergy became inflamed in Bangalore.

Callan, who recently retired after 34 AFL games, was on tour with Bulldogs Will Minson and Liam Picken as part of a charity mission for Red Dust Role Model's Indian partnership.

He was at the Test cricket match between Australia and India with his former teammates when, despite enquiries into the contents of a fish curry, he unwittingly ingested nuts.

"Within two minutes he started to swell up," Picken told afl.com.au.

"He felt this tingle on his tongue and within 10 minutes he was showing signs and said, 'We need to go back to the hotel right now'."

The 26-year-old self-administered a dose of medication through his EpiPen but it didn't have the desired effect.

"We got a hotel car and got him to hospital, and on the way his face and throat started to swell more," Picken said.

"Will and myself had never experienced this before so we just wanted to get him to hospital. He was pretty calm himself.

"We went to this little Indian hospital and the doctors were really good and got him some medication straight away and stabilised him."

Callan was left with a mere $5 hospital bill and a swollen face as a reminder of his second brush with the allergy in 18 months.

Soon after the incident, Picken was met with difficulties of a different nature when he happened to check his email account.

The Bulldogs had contacted the 24-year-old about the possibility of representing Australia in the International Rules Series that was soon to kick off in Ireland.

'Yes' was Picken's response and he changed his flights so he could join the team before its departure to Cork.

"I got to Australia on Thursday, trained Friday and then flew out on Saturday so I was still catching up on sleep," he said.

"I flew to Mumbai, which was another five hours and I spent a day there. It took 27 hours via Bangkok and Hong Kong - then another 30 hours to London.

"It nearly killed me. I spent over 60 hours in airports but it was good to just to Ireland in the end."

Picken missed out on the last two days of his life-changing Indian adventure, in which the players spent time handing out sporting equipment in some of the poorer parts of the country.

"It's pretty confronting. You go in and the house is just one room and that's all. They live off 50 rupees a day when they're on the street, which is about a dollar Australian," he said.

"It's a different world. It's opened my eyes up a lot. I haven't really been overseas much. I've been to America and Hong Kong but this was a totally different culture.

"It was good to get out and do a bit of work."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/104652/default.aspx

LostDoggy
29-10-2010, 09:05 AM
Thanks for always giving us 100% Tim and good luck with the rest of your life. I hope that he recovers quickly from this episode in India - frightening stuff.