PDA

View Full Version : The next phase for Liam Jones?

GVGjr
03-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Like so many supporters I was thoroughly impressed with the development of Liam Jones during the 2010 season and its certainly a great base to build from. He proved that he has AFL standard marking ability and I really like the defensive pressure he puts on the opposition which should be a highly valued skill especially for a 195cm youngster. I have some doubts on his kicking but that will no doubt come in time

During his first season with Williamstown, which was a very much part time preview of him given his school commitments, I seem to recall him being used for a brief spell in back line and for whatever reason I thought his field kicking looked pretty sharp and a lot better than his set shots for goal.

With that in mind I think there is some merit in experimenting with him as the CHB during the pre-season games for the 2011 season.

Ultimately I believe he will develop into a gun forward but does anyone else think a spell in the back line might be another good learning curve for him?

We will no doubt rest a few senior players until the home and away season kicks off and I think its an ideal time to trial some youngsters in other positions. To me, Jones would be a good option to move between key forward and defensive duties so why not give him a taste of it.

Thoughts?

Go_Dogs
03-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Top post GVGjr.

From memory, wasn't Jones originally slated as a CHB at the time of his drafting?

Mofra
03-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Spending time in defence wouldn't hurt him during pre-season games, although as the season draws near any games with near a full squad I'd want him playing his most likely position at CHF.

GVGjr
03-10-2010, 11:33 AM
From memory, wasn't Jones originally slated as a CHB at the time of his drafting?

Not sure but I saw him in the back line and his field kicking looked a lot sharper than when he was lining up for a goal.

I always felt that Chris Grants field kicking was vastly superior to his set shot work and I see the some of this with Jones.

GVGjr
03-10-2010, 11:35 AM
Spending time in defence wouldn't hurt him during pre-season games, although as the season draws near any games with near a full squad I'd want him playing his most likely position at CHF.

There would be a bit of balancing needed. I just like the idea of having someone like Jones being able to be moved between a couple of roles.

soupman
03-10-2010, 12:00 PM
There would be a bit of balancing needed. I just like the idea of having someone like Jones being able to be moved between a couple of roles.

I am also a fan of this idea and the versatility it could potentially bring to our side. There have also been some good key forwards to emerge after stints in the backline, Alistair Lynch and Fraser Gehrig being two of them, Pavlich spent his first couple of seasons in defence before playing everywhere else, and Jade Rawlings was a good backman before he become a star key forward...oh wait.

LostDoggy
03-10-2010, 12:32 PM
We do have a fair few young key forwards and not many young key backs so maybe Grant and Cordy/Panos forward (if they come on) and Williams and Jones back?

It would be nice to be able to swap him around where needed but I think he needs to pretty much settle in one position later on, I do really like him as a forward though putting on heaps of defensive pressure!

stefoid
03-10-2010, 06:07 PM
CHF all the way

Mantis
03-10-2010, 07:33 PM
We need to play him at CHF.

The 2 top teams from this season have quite tall backlines and to match them we need to play tall & mobile forwards.... Liam fits this category perfectly.

DOG GOD
03-10-2010, 09:34 PM
Should definately be our CHF of the future. Has the athleticism needed and we have seen he isnt afraid to run and tackle.

A very promising year that hopefully will build onto 2011.

Sockeye Salmon
03-10-2010, 09:48 PM
I would have no problem turning Jones into adefender if Cordy comes on as a forward.

I can't see who is going to replace Lake down the track.

w3design
03-10-2010, 09:49 PM
Is grant a chf or a full forward eventually? How do we expect they will eventually settle into roles alongside each other ?

GVGjr
03-10-2010, 10:02 PM
I would have no problem turning Jones into adefender if Cordy comes on as a forward.

My view is that if Roughy plays ahead of Will then he also needs to be be able to spend some time up forward. Grant, Hall, Roughead and Jones won't be played in a crowded forward line.
Just as Roughead needs to develop his skills as a forward I think it's imperative that Jones does as a defender.

Tiller will be lucky to stay on the list, there is still question marks if Markovic and Mulligan can be played as key defenders and who knows what is happening with Boumann so you're right that it's not clear who backs up Lake and Williams in the coming seasons.

Bulldog Revolution
03-10-2010, 10:04 PM
I think its got a fair bit of merit GVG, but I can imagine the coaching staff wil be keen to just play him forward, because he is the most promising key position forward we have had in many years

His field kicking and decision making need to improve markedly but there was a hell of a lot to like, and he seems a terrific young fella

GVGjr
03-10-2010, 10:09 PM
I think its got a fair bit of merit GVG, but I can imagine the coaching staff wil be keen to just play him forward, because he is the most promising key position forward we have had in many years

His field kicking and decision making need to improve markedly but there was a hell of a lot to like, and he seems a terrific young fella

You're probably right but because I rate him so highly I just have an expectation he could eventually be able to be moved around as required. It's that sort of skill that I think took Chris Grant to greater heights.

G-Mo77
03-10-2010, 10:09 PM
OK hypothetically.

Barry Hall announces his retirement tomorrow. In Round 1, 2011, where do you play Jones and Grant? Do you play Jones CHF, Grant FF or swap them around? Or do something completely different.

GVGjr
03-10-2010, 10:15 PM
OK hypothetically.

Barry Hall announces his retirement tomorrow. In Round 1, 2011, where do you play Jones and Grant? Do you play Jones CHF, Grant FF or swap them around? Or do something completely different.

If Hall was to retire then we would really be in a bind so I'd leave Jones as the key forward probably CHF. Not sure where to play Grant.

By the way with the opening post I'm only talking about Jones gaining some experience in the NAB cup.

G-Mo77
03-10-2010, 10:17 PM
By the way with the opening post I'm only talking about Jones gaining some experience in the NAB cup.

Yeah, just a question in general as most seem to have Jones penciled in as a CHF.

Bulldog Revolution
03-10-2010, 10:17 PM
If Hall was to retire then we would really be in a bind so I'd leave Jones as the key forward probably CHF. Not sure where to play Grant.

In the NAB cup throwing him around is probably a good idea. If he is not in the game up forward then move him back. He is one of the most important players on our list and needs to be a featured player in the NAB cup, regardless of form, just throw him around and put him in the action.

LostDoggy
03-10-2010, 10:42 PM
He could be our Nick Rewoldt, but I agree if Cordy comes on maybe he could go back as Jones, Grant and Cordy with Roughy resting forward would be abit tall, and we dont have many young key backs I think we should draft a young key back this year.

Go_Dogs
04-10-2010, 12:21 AM

Spot on, and as GVGjr alluded to, a lot depends on how much time/how effective Roughead can be up forwards too.

Jones having the ability to play at both ends would be a huge advantage, so I certainly see the benefits in giving him some roles down back.

Mofra
04-10-2010, 10:48 AM
Will Grant really be a key forward? he seems a forward much in the Murphy role - leading player who can also be creative with the ground ball.
If his hands weren't so sticky, he'd be on track to become the greatest 192cm crumber the game has seen. With his pace, playing Jones & Roughy/Cordy beside him wont make us too top heavy.

LostDoggy
04-10-2010, 11:13 AM

I don't think you really replace players like Lake, and trying to think of a kid who will provide us with the marking prowess, game-reading and rebound disposal of an elite backman like Lake will do your head in -- would be happy if the worst-case scenario was a gorilla unit with some pace to play a lock-down role. I mean, Zac Dawson is a grand final full-back.

I agree our list looks bare in that department -- Mulligan, Boumann and Markovic are pretty much the only ones outside the 22, and that's not saying much, which is where the OP's suggestion of Jones having more than one string to his bow would be helpful. Williams if he keeps developing may well be able to play full-back in a couple of years -- he still hasn't played that many games and Harris/Lake took a while to find his feet too.

stefoid
04-10-2010, 11:40 AM
My view is that if Roughy plays ahead of Will then he also needs to be be able to spend some time up forward. Grant, Hall, Roughead and Jones won't be played in a crowded forward line.
Just as Roughead needs to develop his skills as a forward I think it's imperative that Jones does as a defender.

Tiller will be lucky to stay on the list, there is still question marks if Markovic and Mulligan can be played as key defenders and who knows what is happening with Boumann so you're right that it's not clear who backs up Lake and Williams in the coming seasons.

Not so sure about that. Grant is not overly tall and at this stage is more of medium forward. I would be happy to see if those 4 in the same forward line worked, along with a resting midfielder and a defensive crumbing forward.

The only reservation would be Hall and Roughead not having the pace for defensive pressure.

Im happy with Wood, Murph, and Hargrave as backups for Lake and Williams at this stage, but bringing in another tall back learning the ropes wouldnt hurt.