PDA

View Full Version : Mark Thompson quits as Geelong coach

The Coon Dog
04-10-2010, 01:12 PM
Scott Gullan - Herald Sun - 4 October

EXCLUSIVE: MARK Thompson has handed in his resignation as Geelong coach.

As reported on SuperFooty exclusively on Friday, Thompson will not fulfil the final year of his contract to coach the Cats next season.

The decision is expected to become official later today.

Thompson last week told the Cats heirarchy he was burnt out and was given a week to weigh up his future.

At the Cats' best-and-fairest dinner on Thursday night he did not reveal his decision but hinted he would not be back next year.

Article in full... (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/mark-thompson-quits-as-geelong-coach/story-e6frf9jf-1225933839908)

Greystache
04-10-2010, 02:08 PM
He's going to come off as highly hypocritical if he joins Hird at Essendon given the way he's publicly spoken about Ablett and loyalty. Personally I think he'll end up there in the near future.

Remi Moses
04-10-2010, 03:04 PM
Going to betray a lot of folk down at Geelong if he takes up a position with Hird.
Dead man walking when he stated he had burnout

LostDoggy
04-10-2010, 03:38 PM
If he goes to Essendon, he'll be the biggest 2 faced since Nathan Brown.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-10-2010, 05:48 PM
If he goes to Essendon, he'll be the biggest 2 faced since Nathan Brown.

This.

Thompson is a smug prick anyway.

LostDoggy
05-10-2010, 07:52 AM
IMO, he has chosen his words so carefully....."I will not be a senior coach again, I'm burnt out, etc., etc.". Not once have I heard him say he will "not be involved" with coaching, so I think he is leaving the door open to go to the Bumbers. Have a Bumbers supporter at work who has been dancing around since the Hird appointment and is convinced Thompson will join Hirdy (BTW - he is also talking a premiership 2011!!!! - typical!)

Flamethrower
06-10-2010, 01:57 PM
As soon as I heard him on Before the Game on last Friday night say that "I am not as rich as has been reported and I still will need to work", or words to that effect I thought he is postioning himself for a job at Windy Hill mentoring James Hird.

The Adelaide Connection
10-11-2010, 04:26 PM
Sometimes conspiracy theories are on the money...

"Mark Thompson to join Essendon as assistant to James Hird"

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/essendon-expected-to-announce-mark-thompson-as-assistant-coach/story-e6frf9jf-1225950981071

Seems that he has played his cards perfectly (burning Geelong in the process) to get what he wants.

cinder
10-11-2010, 04:54 PM
Sometimes conspiracy theories are on the money...

"Mark Thompson to join Essendon as assistant to James Hird"

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/essendon-expected-to-announce-mark-thompson-as-assistant-coach/story-e6frf9jf-1225950981071

Seems that he has played his cards perfectly (burning Geelong in the process) to get what he wants.

Poor form, Bomber. What happened to being 'burnt out'?

LostDoggy
10-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Surprise surprise. I'm astounded - NOT!! :p

GVGjr
10-11-2010, 05:20 PM
How rich must the Bombers be? Hird wouldn't come cheaply, they had to pay out 2 years of Knights contract for at least Million and now Thompson added as an assistant coach.
For a club that has been down for a few seasons they have decided to spend their way out trouble and it won't be a quick fix.

Sockeye Salmon
10-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Poor form, Bomber. What happened to being 'burnt out'?

What about the tantrum mid-year about Ablett being disloyal? At least Ablett was out of contract.

Hypocrite

cinder
10-11-2010, 05:35 PM
What about the tantrum mid-year about Ablett being disloyal? At least Ablett was out of contract.

Hypocrite

Yeah, that too. Obviously those rules don't apply to him

The Pie Man
10-11-2010, 05:56 PM

Hypocrite

This

Was listening to SEN today, and a caller pointed out that Parkin had deferred many head coaching responsibilities to Brittain during their transition, so if Bomber was burnt out why couldn't a succession plan similar have been implemented?

Being a Dogs fan, I don't really care...but on the other hand, I feel he deserves the roasting.

AndrewP6
10-11-2010, 08:46 PM
As Cinder has said, poor form... to say you're burnt out etc... and a short while later sign on at another club... very ordinary.

Murphy'sLore
11-11-2010, 11:08 AM
Very lame. It's embarrassing. I used to have some respect for Thompson, it's all gone now.

Mofra
11-11-2010, 11:24 AM

Hypocrite
Bingo. He knows the dynsaty is over and didn't want to be holding the reins when it crumbled. GSW targetting Bartel would have been playing on his mind as well.

LostDoggy
11-11-2010, 11:40 AM
I'm not really that fussed about it all, but do feel for the Geelong supporters.

Bulldog4life
11-11-2010, 12:10 PM
I'm not really that fussed about it all, but do feel for the Geelong supporters.

I don't.:)

LostDoggy
11-11-2010, 04:23 PM
What happened to class? Thompson could have exited Geelong deservedly as a double premiership hero, been welcomed back to the Dons with open arms, had Sanderson installed as his legacy at Geelong, and been remembered fondly by all for the rest of his days.

Instead, all this stupidly transparent cloak-and-dagger crap has made everyone in this mess look like a goose, and diminished the dignity of the game and its participants, and no one, and I mean NO ONE (not even Essendon people) will really look at the bloke with any REAL respect ever again. A guy who can behave with so little class will just as readily stab you in the back as sign on your dotted line.

Remi Moses
11-11-2010, 04:36 PM
What happened to class? Thompson could have exited Geelong deservedly as a double premiership hero, been welcomed back to the Dons with open arms, had Sanderson installed as his legacy at Geelong, and been remembered fondly by all for the rest of his days.

Instead, all this stupidly transparent cloak-and-dagger crap has made everyone in this mess look like a goose, and diminished the dignity of the game and its participants, and no one, and I mean NO ONE (not even Essendon people) will really look at the bloke with any REAL respect ever again. A guy who can behave with so little class will just as readily stab you in the back as sign on your dotted line.

Couldn't agree more the guy has sullied his reputation in one foul swoop.
The phone calls during the ACTUAL SEASON is very poor form from both Thompson and the Essendon Football Club ,just shows how obnoxious they are.They can have the Dream Team coaches box but with that crap midfield they're going nowhere!

LostDoggy
11-11-2010, 04:43 PM
His ex wife may not think that he is very loyal

mighty_west
13-11-2010, 03:42 PM
He's a hypocrite, so what, we live in a world full of em, neighbours, family members, friends etc etc.

GVGjr
13-11-2010, 05:01 PM
I made mention during trade week that if I had any say in proceedings then I would never trade with Hawthorn or Essendon because they are notoriously bad to deal with.

Thompson, Essendon and even Hirds conduct during the Thompson 'burnt out' scenario is deplorable and has only enforced my view of them.

Lets start with Hird.
Around the same time as Thompson started some communications with Essendon Hird also started the destabilizing of Knights tenure at Essendon with his 'slip-up' comments on Fox's On The Couch. This resulted in a vastly increased media scrutiny and whilst the baby faced assassin kept denying he wanted the position or was capable of doing it in the short term, he masterfully kept adding fuel to the fire by not answering direct questions or giving unequivocal assurances that he would not coach the club. No sooner it would quieten down, Hird would somehow make another comment that brought it back into the spotlight again.

The club
All of a sudden Essendon had unprecedented Hogans Hero's style leaks from within that put more pressure on Knights. Powerless to stop them, or more likely unwilling to, the leaks kept coming again putting Knights under pressure.
Later on they clearly approached a contracted coach and worked out a plan of deception with Thompson to fool Frank Costa and co into letting him go.

Thompson
For a guy who preached loyalty and the value of being in a side that has the best chances of winning for the first half of the season with Ablett at the same time he stopped making comments in the media he was in communication with Essendon about a position.

I think both Thompson and Hird should have lost significant amount of credibility with the public and the Essendon club has just confirmed to the rest of the AFL that they should never be dealing with them.

I hope we kick their backsides in round one next year.

The Coon Dog
13-11-2010, 05:32 PM
^^^^

Excellent post GVGjr.

Clearly the cashed up coteries at Essendon had stuck the knife into Matthew Knights' back early on. There was no way the 'Bombers Mafia' were going to to allow him to continue.

I bet Matthew Knights wishes he had the same level of funding & support Hird has.

GVGjr
13-11-2010, 07:58 PM
Clearly the cashed up coteries at Essendon had stuck the knife into Matthew Knights' back early on. There was no way the 'Bombers Mafia' were going to to allow him to continue.

I bet Matthew Knights wishes he had the same level of funding & support Hird has.

If Thompson had been honest he would have approached the Cats and told them of his wish to leave and take a position at Essendon. Why would they want to keep him if he doesn't want to be there and his heart wasn't in it?
The Cats could have then negotiated some form of compensation for breaking the contract for Thompson. As it is they, Thompson and Essendon, just lied to everybody to get what the outcome they wanted and in the process probably damaged any of Knights AFL career ambitions.

They could have got the same outcome without the need to deceive so many people.

By the way, I'm also of the belief that Essendon knew that Andrew Lovetts issues were about to explode before they traded him to the Saints. More fool the Saints for not checking him thoroughly but its another reason that underlines why people should avoid trading with them.

soupman
14-11-2010, 12:03 AM
This whole saga has just gone to show what a classless organisation the Essendon Football Club is.

And really Mark Thompson is the most dissapointing member of the debacle, simply for his ridiculous attempt to be the victim. Why did he feel making comments about being "burnt out" and thus needing a prolonged break from football was the right way to severe his ties with Geelong? Especially when he knew that he was (or was very likely) to be at Essendon a couple of month's later?

Why didn't he just announce that he wanted to go to Essendon? As GVGjr mentioned Geelong wouldn't want to keep someone who doesn't want to be there, and he could have presented a press conference like this:

-Has enjoyed his time at Geelong and feels he has accomplished much with the club, but thinks there isn't much more to achieve and feels both the club and he would benefit from a change
-As a result he will move to Essendon to undertake a new and exciting role. This role presents challenges and opportunities that aren't available at Geelong right now.
-Is delighted to be moving back to his former club, a club which he captained, won a premiership with and is passionate about.
-Looking forward to helping James Hird establish himself as an AFL coach and developing Essendons young, talented and exciting list.
-Regrets that he has to leave Geelong in order to do so, but re-iterates that it is a move centered around new opportunity, and wants to thank Geelong for the faith they took in him and for supporting him throughout his however many years in charge.

He leaves Geelong for understandable reasons (money won't be mentioned in the pc but is undoubtably a factor, it always is), joins his new club honourably and doesn't drag it out and turn it into a drama.

LostDoggy
14-11-2010, 11:37 AM
I think Essendon really wanted Thompson to be head coach and Hird to be his 2IC. Thats why there is all this cloak and dagger stuff.

Twodogs
14-11-2010, 12:54 PM
If Thompson had been honest he would have approached the Cats and told them of his wish to leave and take a position at Essendon. Why would they want to keep him if he doesn't want to be there and his heart wasn't in it?

His ego wouldnt have let him. The one thing that his behaviour has proved beyond doubt is that it's all about Mark Thompson.

Desipura
15-11-2010, 08:50 AM
At the end of the day he has 2 premierships. If Eade left us under similar circumstances after winning a flag or 2, I would not be all that bitter with him.

LostDoggy
15-11-2010, 09:13 AM
At the end of the day he has 2 premierships. If Eade left us under similar circumstances after winning a flag or 2, I would not be all that bitter with him.

I know a few Geelong fans are bitter with him cos he flat out lied and took the high moral ground during the season. They are bitter cos they believe he might have cost them another premiership this season.
Of course he was a premiership coach for them so it make it easier but its still a slap in the face to Geelong and its fans.

Sedat
15-11-2010, 09:31 AM
I know a few Geelong fans are bitter with him cos he flat out lied and took the high moral ground during the season. They are bitter cos they believe he might have cost them another premiership this season.
Geelong fans also have the right to be bitter with some of the list management decisions that Thompson and McCarthy made straight after the prelim, when they were both clearly in active discussions with Essendon at the time. Those two signed off on giving Milburn another 12 months, which is just flat-out irresponsible for a team desperately short of defensive pace, run and carry.

LostDoggy
15-11-2010, 09:55 AM
This whole saga has just gone to show what a classless organisation the Essendon Football Club is.

And really Mark Thompson is the most dissapointing member of the debacle, simply for his ridiculous attempt to be the victim. Why did he feel making comments about being "burnt out" and thus needing a prolonged break from football was the right way to severe his ties with Geelong? Especially when he knew that he was (or was very likely) to be at Essendon a couple of month's later?

Why didn't he just announce that he wanted to go to Essendon? As GVGjr mentioned Geelong wouldn't want to keep someone who doesn't want to be there, and he could have presented a press conference like this:

-Has enjoyed his time at Geelong and feels he has accomplished much with the club, but thinks there isn't much more to achieve and feels both the club and he would benefit from a change
-As a result he will move to Essendon to undertake a new and exciting role. This role presents challenges and opportunities that aren't available at Geelong right now.
-Is delighted to be moving back to his former club, a club which he captained, won a premiership with and is passionate about.
-Looking forward to helping James Hird establish himself as an AFL coach and developing Essendons young, talented and exciting list.
-Regrets that he has to leave Geelong in order to do so, but re-iterates that it is a move centered around new opportunity, and wants to thank Geelong for the faith they took in him and for supporting him throughout his however many years in charge.

He leaves Geelong for understandable reasons (money won't be mentioned in the pc but is undoubtably a factor, it always is), joins his new club honourably and doesn't drag it out and turn it into a drama.

Great post. :)

If they'd been honest from the start there wouldn't be as much, if any ill feeling toward them.

Desipura
15-11-2010, 10:02 AM
Of course he was a premiership coach for them so it make it easier but its still a slap in the face to Geelong and its fans.
I think they are kidding themselves.

LostDoggy
15-11-2010, 12:13 PM
I think they are kidding themselves.

Why? Collingwood did it's best to choke in the first gf. Had Geelong been in the saints boot(3 pts? in the first final) they would not have let the opportunity slip

Desipura
15-11-2010, 12:17 PM
Why? Collingwood did it's best to choke in the first gf. Had Geelong been in the saints boot(3 pts? in the first final) they would not have let the opportunity slip
I just think they looked slow and tired by seasons end. Ablett going will not make them any faster either.
Varcoe will be getting more attention as a result. They are holding on to some players that really time has passed them by ie Joel Corey and Enright.
I think they will play finals but not be a legitimate contender.

LostDoggy
15-11-2010, 02:10 PM
I just think they looked slow and tired by seasons end. Ablett going will not make them any faster either.
Varcoe will be getting more attention as a result. They are holding on to some players that really time has passed them by ie Joel Corey and Enright.
I think they will play finals but not be a legitimate contender.

I think chops means this season just past, not the one coming up.

Desipura
15-11-2010, 02:20 PM
I think chops means this season just past, not the one coming up.
My bad........I still think Collingwood had them covered.

mjp
15-11-2010, 02:43 PM
I am pretty relaxed about it all now.

I think Thompson had just had enough of being at Geelong. But he liked the people there and didn't want to disappoint them. His actions and seeming dishonesty have come more from not wanting to let people down (he avoided hard conversations because he didn't want to say no) rather than any kind of malicious intent.

I don't know - the Cats have had a pretty good run and I just think they need to be a bit more understanding.

As for the Bombers, well, they wanted something which was in theory unattainable and they found a way to make it happen. They might just have gotten exactly what they deserve with Hird and Thompson - I just don't see it as a match made in heaven - but they have a heap of high draft picks on their books who could very well start playing good footy.

As for Knights, well, if I was an Essendon supporter I would be very happy he isn't in charge anymore. He had a chance, he mucked it up...now he is coaching high school footy. As has been said before, he is heading in the WROOOOOONG direction!

Ghost Dog
15-11-2010, 03:45 PM
he masterfully kept adding fuel to the fire by not answering direct questions or giving unequivocal assurances that he would not coach the club. No sooner it would quieten down, Hird would somehow make another comment that brought it back into the spotlight again..

I distinctly, DISTINCTLY recall Hird being put on the spot by Leigh Mathews on a telecast, asking him directly, will you coach the Bombers next year. This was only a few months ago, during the start of finals season. He replied something to the effect of ' There is no way I will be coach of Essendon next year, as I have other business commitments'. It was a straight answer that I recall clearly.

What a crock!