PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldogs to maul debt

divvydan
08-10-2010, 12:51 AM
* Mark Stevens
* October 08, 2010 12:00AM

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2010/02/28/1225835/348242-campbell-rose.jpg

THE Western Bulldogs are set to launch an aggressive bid to wipe off their $5 million debt.

Supporters will soon be asked to contribute to a "Bulldoze the debt" appeal, with the club hopeful of clearing its books within three years...

...The "Bulldoze the debt" concept will include a major invitation-only function on the Whitten Oval turf next year. It closely mirror's Melbourne's Jim Stynes-inspired "Debt Demolition" appeal, which has raised $5.1 million so far.

Article in Full (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-to-maul-debt/story-e6frf9jf-1225935687691)

BulldogBelle
08-10-2010, 08:01 AM
This is something that needed to be done urgently. The interest alone is killing us!
l hope all give what they can to help clear the debt.

Bulldog for life members will receive something with their memberships - which we can't be far off recieving.

DIG DEEP

bornadog
08-10-2010, 09:54 AM
Great News. With The development at WO just about done (Sports Centre to still go up) this is the next one that needs to be wiped.

Desipura
08-10-2010, 10:16 AM
Great News. With The development at WO just about done (Sports Centre to still go up) this is the next one that needs to be wiped.
How long have we had this debt?

Bulldog Joe
08-10-2010, 10:18 AM
Actually a great idea and should be able to get it cleared.

10,000 members/sponsors/supporters contributing an average of $500 gets it done.

So people get together with enough to afford a combined $500 and you contribute one unit to play your part.

Desipura
08-10-2010, 10:22 AM

10,000 members/sponsors/supporters contributing an average of $500 gets it done.

So people get together with enough to afford a combined $500 and you contribute one unit to play your part.
I cannot afford to fork out therefore I will not. My hard earned is in my membership that I have bought each year since 1984. I also contributed a large chunk back in 1989.

bornadog
08-10-2010, 10:41 AM
I cannot afford to fork out therefore I will not. My hard earned is in my membership that I have bought each year since 1984. I also contributed a large chunk back in 1989.

What about forum members all throw in $50 each. I am not sure how many members we have, but say we get 100 to throw in the $50 as a WOOF contribution, thats a nice $5000. Can you and others afford that?

G-Mo77
08-10-2010, 10:42 AM

Yeah sorry, can't afford $500 on top of my $800 membership each season. I'll try to contribute as much as I can but currently things are tight and I doubt I'll be able to help all that much.

OLD SCRAGGer
08-10-2010, 10:42 AM
I'll certainly TRY and contribute, but $500 is WAY out of my range :eek:, I'm on a pension so my contribution will be minimal!!!!:)

mighty_west
08-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Yeah sorry, can't afford $500 on top of my $800 membership each season. I'll try to contribute as much as I can but currently things are tight and I doubt I'll be able to help all that much.

I am in the same boat, my big contribution to the club was going from the stock standard $180 or so membership about 4 or 5 years ago to the full Gold Social Club of just under $700 every year, and have had a membership since the late 70's.

Still trying to convince the missus to shell out more for this Sundays Sale....:D

comrade
08-10-2010, 10:59 AM
Isn't Smorgo almost a billionaire?

G-Mo77
08-10-2010, 11:05 AM

Don't know but he does have a lot of money. Can't he just through some change to maul the debt. :)

comrade
08-10-2010, 11:18 AM
From the article...

The Dogs are set to post a significant profit this season, but need to shake the debt.

So we're going to post a large profit but we spend the least on our football department? I know Rose loves to see a surplus but this is a travesty.

Almost every single dollar of that profit should be poured back into our footy department to ensure we're at least on reasonably level terms with the rest of the competition. We'll look back on this period as a huge missed opportunity to really entrench ourselves a potential powerhouse, hampered by our administration's desire to make the books look good.

The executive team must understand that the only way to long term stability is a premiership, not penny pinching every dollar.

Am I out of line here?

bornadog
08-10-2010, 11:25 AM
From the article...

So we're going to post a large profit but we spend the least on our football department? I know Rose loves to see a surplus but this is a travesty.

Almost every single dollar of that profit should be poured back into our footy department to ensure we're at least on reasonably level terms with the rest of the competition. We'll look back on this period as a huge missed opportunity to really entrench ourselves a potential powerhouse, hampered by our administration's desire to make the books look good.

The executive team must understand that the only way to long term stability is a premiership, not penny pinching every dollar.

Am I out of line here?

We need to get rid of this debt. I don't know what the interest bill is but even at 10% thats $500k that could be ploughed back into the footy department. We need to think about the long term viability of the club and I am sure its a balancing act between spend and debt reduction.

divvydan
08-10-2010, 11:36 AM
Not out of line at all but depends if significant means large and how large.

One thing though, is that footy department spending is generally decided between now and Decemeber and with Hall, the Nab Cup win and extra exposure, the revenue was probably greater than they had anticipated when working out the footy department expenditure.

For next year, the argument for spending on football vs spending on reducing debt has merit on both sides. If spent well straight away, money could potentially see an improvement in performance over the following season and thus possibly a premiership whereas removing debt allows us to save on interest repayments and that saved money can then be put back into the footy department. It would be less initially but potentially have a longer term gain.

Given this Bulldoze the Debt idea, it would actually seem more likely that the club wants to spend money in the football deparment now and needs outside help to reduce the debt, thus trying to achieve short and long term success at the same time.

LostDoggy
08-10-2010, 11:43 AM
What about forum members all throw in $50 each. I am not sure how many members we have, but say we get 100 to throw in the $50 as a WOOF contribution, thats a nice $5000. Can you and others afford that?

I would be in that. Good idea BAD.

Jasper
08-10-2010, 11:49 AM

If so, he should take a leaf out of Dick Pratt's book and match every dollar raised.

But hard to know how much he has put in already.

LostDoggy
08-10-2010, 12:02 PM
Might go and buy that $300 Cooney Brownlow piece ive had my eyes on down at the Kennel. Surely thats a 'contribution' ;)

Will upgrade my membership from 11>17 aswell.

Sockeye Salmon
08-10-2010, 12:26 PM
If so, he should take a leaf out of Dick Pratt's book and match every dollar raised.

But hard to know how much he has put in already.

I would suggest Smorgon and Susan Alberti put their hand a fair way into their own pockets already.

I shudder to think how much Smorgon would have put in circa 1997 and 2003.

bornadog
08-10-2010, 01:18 PM
I would suggest Smorgon and Susan Alberti put their hand a fair way into their own pockets already.

I shudder to think how much Smorgon would have put in circa 1997 and 2003.

Plus George Pappas who is also a milionnaire in his own right

Greystache
08-10-2010, 02:00 PM
Plus George Pappas who is also a milionnaire in his own right

Does anyone know if the club keeps a database of wealthy Bulldogs supporters?

Mantis
08-10-2010, 02:36 PM
Does anyone know if the club keeps a database of wealthy Bulldogs supporters?

As someone who does the odd on-line survey perhaps we could add in the "How much money does the household earn?" to our members survey.

As soon as someone plugs in $250K+ all sorts of bells & whistles should go off and then we can lock in on the intended target.

Greystache
08-10-2010, 02:46 PM
As someone who does the odd on-line survey perhaps we could add in the "How much money does the household earn?" to our members survey.

As soon as someone plugs in $250K+ all sorts of bells & whistles should go off and then we can lock in on the intended target.

Good idea, not hard to implement either.

LostDoggy
08-10-2010, 04:13 PM
From the article.

Am I out of line here?

There is a difference between profit and cash. And it depends on the definition of Profit which may well be earnings before interest.

bornadog
08-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Rose was saying on SEN the club will ask all bulldogs for life members to add $10 on their membership for three years to help contribute. If there are say 20,000 bulldog for life members, at $10 each then thats $200,000 per year.

comrade
08-10-2010, 04:23 PM
There is a difference between profit and cash. And it depends on the definition of Profit which may well be earnings before interest.

Yes, you're right but wouldn't profit reports take into account interest repayments?

Daughter of the West
08-10-2010, 04:38 PM
Yes, you're right but wouldn't profit reports take into account interest repayments?

Depends on whether the profit they're quoting is before or after interest (EBIT - earnings before interest and tax - is often used to gauge profitability). Profit can also be skewed by non cash items, like depreciation and sales for which payment has not been received yet.

Cash is king, and if you've got $1,000,000,000,000,000 of profit, but only $1 of cash in the bank, profit means zip since you can't pay bills with profit.

I think an extra $500 a year for a bulldogs supporter is a massive ask, ESPECIALLY if you're already contributing with a membership. My uncle saves up all year for his membership, and I've given him a membership voucher as a birthday present to help along the way too. Massive ask (I'll be trying to kick in a bit extra though....ugh, a couple less drinks at the pub tonight).

Remi Moses
08-10-2010, 04:42 PM
Just hope the club thinks outside the square ,like dinners or a day in the coaches box (warning coarse language)instead of just slinging everyone for cash!

Bulldog Joe
08-10-2010, 04:42 PM
Rose was saying on SEN the club will ask all bulldogs for life members to add $10 on their membership for three years to help contribute. If there are say 20,000 bulldog for life members, at $10 each then thats $200,000 per year.

Bulldog for life could contribute say $5 or $10 per month.

I notice a few suggesting they can't afford $500 but what I am really suggesting is get together with fellow supporters/members.

If 10 of you combine it is $50 each but if it takes 100 it is $5 each.

I will do what I can via my Bulldog for Life.

I am sure there are a few who can find something. $20 is not even a packet of smokes and would go nowhere on a night out.

Bulldog4life
08-10-2010, 04:44 PM

I can do that.:D

bornadog
08-10-2010, 04:47 PM

maybe he did say per month, sorry. Not sure if too many would do that.

Hotdog60
08-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Would it look suss if we got a grant from Julia. :)

Flamethrower
08-10-2010, 10:03 PM
Would it look suss if we got a grant from Julia. :)

Get Jules to increase the mining tax by 1% with all that money donated to the Bulldoze the Debt fund.

AndrewP6
08-10-2010, 11:01 PM
Count me in Dogs..

KT31
08-10-2010, 11:53 PM

We will have to earn that soon to afford our utilities bills.
and some more with the emissions tax.:D

KT31
09-10-2010, 12:01 AM

How much of his salary will he be putting in ?
Already support the club with a family social membership and see two games a year if lucky.
Maybe the could take a fresh approach, instead of blaming supporters or asking the members to put their hands into their pockets.

GVGjr
09-10-2010, 12:32 AM
How much of his salary will he be putting in ?
Already support the club with a family social membership and see two games a year if lucky.
Maybe the could take a fresh approach, instead of blaming supporters or asking the members to put their hands into their pockets.

Whats the fresh approach?

I certainly don't think the club is blaming the supporters in this instance but is hoping enough of then can chip in and kick start this.

It's a huge ask though because a lot of people dig very deep each year and don't get genuine value for money. Some even chip in to help the club get a full quota of rookies and add Bulldogs Backyard packages as well.

mjp
09-10-2010, 02:26 AM
It's a huge ask though because a lot of people dig very deep each year and don't get genuine value for money. Some even chip in to help the club get a full quota of rookies and add Bulldogs Backyard packages as well.

...and some supporters do all this and still can't get a ticket through the club for the one game played in their home state during the season.

Very frustrated with things like this - it is pretty much unconditional love but there are times when you wish it was a little less one sided.

GVGjr
09-10-2010, 08:57 AM
...and some supporters do all this and still can't get a ticket through the club for the one game played in their home state during the season.

Very frustrated with things like this - it is pretty much unconditional love but there are times when you wish it was a little less one sided.

This is the type of outcome I hear constantly.
At Darwin the club hosts an event and this years one was from all reports was a shocker and vastly down in standards from previous years. I know the players sponsors night was clearly inferior to all the previous ones I have attended and I hear a lot of people were disappointed with some other club events this year.

Most would agree that memberships aren't the greatest value you could spend the money on but accept that as being part of what they can do to assist the club.

A lot of us will help with the debt reduction effort because we know it's required but I'd like to think the club can lift it's own standards at helping the supporters get some more value from the memberships.

mighty_west
09-10-2010, 11:40 AM
This is the type of outcome I hear constantly.
At Darwin the club hosts an event and this years one was from all reports was a shocker and vastly down in standards from previous years. I know the players sponsors night was clearly inferior to all the previous ones I have attended and I hear a lot of people were disappointed with some other club events this year.

Most would agree that memberships aren't the greatest value you could spend the money on but accept that as being part of what they can do to assist the club.

A lot of us will help with the debt reduction effort because we know it's required but I'd like to think the club can lift it's own standards at helping the supporters get some more value from the memberships.

One of my bug bears of the past has been not so much the value for money in regards to events but just value for money in regards to having a 17 game membership, but literally only having 14 or 15 games to be able to attend [for those that simply cannot travel interstate to attend games], so already in many regards supporters are being ripped off somewhat and i know personally a few people who have gone back to an 11 gamer just to justify things for themselves.

The 11 gamer is compensated by giving those the 2 extra away games to attend in Melbourne for the Darwin & Canberra home games we play and that is great, but it rips off the 17 gamer who also is most likely to miss out on a game at Geelong as what, 500 or so opposition supporters get to attend from a possible 35,000 members or a breakdown of 17 game holders whatever that number is.

I still purchase my 17 gamer in good faith and is that little bit extra i tip into the club every year, but alot won't.

DOG GOD
09-10-2010, 01:15 PM
Just hope the club thinks outside the square ,like dinners or a day in the coaches box (warning coarse language)instead of just slinging everyone for cash!

I suggested this a while back and actually sent the club an email with my suggestion but never heard anything. I called it "A Day with the Dogs" which included the following...

Changeroom access before the game
Sit in on players address before game
Sit in coaches box for entire game
Allowed on ground with coaching staff for warmup and at qtr and 3 qtr time
Sit in on players address after match
Photo with Rocket and favourite player
Signed guernsey by faveourite player

All for $2500

1 person per 22 rounds this would generate $55,000 for the club.

Oh well.

LostDoggy
09-10-2010, 03:50 PM
^I done most of that stuff back in 1998 DOG_GOD, was an awesome experience.

DOG GOD
09-10-2010, 04:36 PM
^I done most of that stuff back in 1998 DOG_GOD, was an awesome experience.

You serious? How was it and did it cost u?

LostDoggy
09-10-2010, 04:42 PM
You serious? How was it and did it cost u?

Was before the final against WCE at the MCG, i went in before the game & met the players. Bubba was my favourite player back then, so he came over & spoke to me, as did Plough.

Didn't cost me a cent, my Dad sent in a letter to Wallace because i had a story about why i was there. I had school camp to Queensland which everyone was going on, but i decided to stay because we were in the finals & put the school trip to Queensland off.

After my Dad sent in the letter, Terry wrote back & organised for me to go into the rooms. I watched them all walk around talking and warming up, then i went out onto the MCG to watch the guys warm up. I got photos with the players after the game, as we went back into the rooms when the match had finished.

I was supposed to be apart of the team address before the game, where Terry was going to introduce me to the group. But the guy who was giving us the tour said it was time to go, my Dad was grateful for what they had already done, so we decided to do as they asked.

Was one of the greatest days off my life.

DOG GOD
09-10-2010, 04:47 PM
Was before the final against WCE at the MCG, i went in before the game & met the players. Bubba was my favourite player back then, so he came over & spoke to me, as did Plough.

Didn't cost my a cent, my Dad sent in a letter to Wallace because i had a story about why i was there. I had school camp to Queensland which everyone was going on, but i decided to stay because we were in the finals & put the school trip to Queensland off.

After my Dad sent in the letter, Terry wrote back & organised for me to go into the rooms. I watched them all walk around talking and warming up, then i went out onto the MCG to watch the guys warm up. I got photos with the players after the game, as we went back into the rooms when the match had finished.

I was supposed to be apart of the team address before the game, where Terry was going to introduce me to the group. But the guy who was giving us the tour said it was time to go, my Dad was grateful for what they had already done, so we decided to do as they asked.

Was one of the greatest days off my life.

Im sure it was dude...thats unbelievable. I know u got that for free, but if my idea was put in place, do you think $2500 is a reasonable asking price, and would many supporters be interested?

LostDoggy
09-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Im sure it was dude...thats unbelievable. I know u got that for free, but if my idea was put in place, do you think $2500 is a reasonable asking price, and would many supporters be interested?

Every supporter would be interested.

The price, if it involved everything you have said, then probably fair.

DOG GOD
09-10-2010, 04:58 PM
Every supporter would be interested.

The price, if it involved everything you have said, then probably fair.

Just a pity the club isnt interested. Thanks for your comments though.

KT31
09-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Whats the fresh approach?

I certainly don't think the club is blaming the supporters in this instance but is hoping enough of then can chip in and kick start this.

Agree with you in this instance.
I think Smorgon and Rose have been brilliant for our club, but on occasions I think they have been out of line with certain comments about us and our support.

It's a huge ask though because a lot of people dig very deep each year and don't get genuine value for money. Some even chip in to help the club get a full quota of rookies and add Bulldogs Backyard packages as well

It all depends on our future performances, If we win a flag in the next year or two every cent we have put in will be worth it.

GVGjr
09-10-2010, 05:56 PM
Agree with you in this instance.
I think Smorgon and Rose have been brilliant for our club, but on occasions I think they have been out of line with certain comments about us and our support.

Yes it's a tired old cliche of theirs that puts the onus on the fans joining up each season. At least this time they have approached the fans in a far more meaningful manner.

Whilst I'll chip in I just wish the club provided the fans with more at club events rather than just going though the motions. There is a number of events now that I doubt I will attend in the future because the standard has been slipping.

LostDoggy
09-10-2010, 06:41 PM
I suggested this a while back and actually sent the club an email with my suggestion but never heard anything. I called it "A Day with the Dogs" which included the following...

Changeroom access before the game
Sit in on players address before game
Sit in coaches box for entire game
Allowed on ground with coaching staff for warmup and at qtr and 3 qtr time
Sit in on players address after match
Photo with Rocket and favourite player
Signed guernsey by faveourite player

All for $2500

1 person per 22 rounds this would generate $55,000 for the club.

Oh well.

This idea is a common sense approach for raising funds for the club, even a watered down version would attract alot of interest from members.
With staff of the club on this forum more interest/discussion on the forum might get the message through.

I for one would be keen to pay for the privilege.

Go Dogs 2011..........................................

DOG GOD
09-10-2010, 10:08 PM
I agree kaiser. Its things like this that really takes it outside the box. Its fair to say that not everyone could afford it, and the last thing i would want to do is suggest something that only a minority could par take in, but having said that, its a way and a means of knocking some cash together quickly for the club and giving some lucky supporters an opportunity they would never forget. The club giving something back to the fans.

LostDoggy
10-10-2010, 09:51 PM
I agree kaiser. Its things like this that really takes it outside the box. Its fair to say that not everyone could afford it, and the last thing i would want to do is suggest something that only a minority could par take in, but having said that, its a way and a means of knocking some cash together quickly for the club and giving some lucky supporters an opportunity they would never forget. The club giving something back to the fans.

Your last quote sums up alot of thoughts not being said aloud, Well done.

LostDoggy
12-10-2010, 09:03 PM
Well, I can't afford to chip in any more than I already do, I'm at the limit of my budget most weeks (and usually exceed it come September) and just don't have the cash to spare.

So…

What I'm gonna do instead, to do my part for a club that's given me 28 years of joy (punctuated with heartache but we'll leave that alone) is put my services as a web designer out there, massively discounted to anybody who takes me up on it.

So if you have a business interested in a website and e-marketing package, send me a PM. I'll donate 50% of the money I get to the club. Depending on the requirements of the website, that could be anywhere from $3,000 to $6,000.

You gain a high quality website cheap (most web agencies charge you about $25-30k). The Bulldogs gain a coupla grand. I gain a warm fuzzy feeling knowing my kids will have a club to love.

*Sorry if this is a bit spammy, guys. Certainly not meant that way :)*

Have a think about it, guys, is there something you can do extra to your income and donate the proceeds?