PDA

View Full Version : Djekurra a dog

stefoid
08-10-2010, 12:25 PM
For our 3rd round.

Welcome aboard mate!

Doc26
08-10-2010, 12:29 PM
Not great in terms of where we might've hoped to pick him up but pick 57 would seem reasonable based on our need. Welcome Nathan.

comrade
08-10-2010, 12:35 PM
We overpaid for a guy that's only played 4 games in 4 seasons.

He'll probably be tried up forward but I wouldn't mind giving him a crack at Harby's old spot.

LostDoggy
08-10-2010, 12:37 PM
Yeah, overpaid. He was going to be delisted anyway.

LostDoggy
08-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Looking forward to seeing him out there, see what he can offer..4th round would have been nicer, but 57 isn't too bad.

Mantis
08-10-2010, 12:38 PM
He is our new Griffin. ;)

It's D-j-e-r-r-k-u-r-a.... Everyone who spells it incorrectly should cop a weeks ban.

DOG GOD
08-10-2010, 12:39 PM
Hmm not that happy with using pick 57, but glad to have him onboard.

Now for Sherman, and if that happens with our harbrow pick then that only leaves us with picks 73 and 77? in the draft?

Mofra
08-10-2010, 12:40 PM
If he fits a need and can play role in the side than I'm not sure we overpaid. He's got more of a chance of playing than last year's round 3, and that was a higher pick.

Desipura
08-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Go Djerk...... err thats does not sound right

w3design
08-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Maybe we could change the thread tile so that Nathan's name is spelt correctly, it's Nathan Djerrkura.

Welcome Nathan. Hopefully you can crack more games with us and help us win the flag in 2011.

Desipura
08-10-2010, 12:43 PM

It's D-j-e-r-r-k-u-r-a.... Everyone who spells it incorrectly should cop a weeks ban.

There wont be many posters on here in the next week then.

comrade
08-10-2010, 12:45 PM
If he fits a need and can play role in the side than I'm not sure we overpaid. He's got more of a chance of playing than last year's round 3, and that was a higher pick.

Our third pick last year was Barry Hall :)

Has he got more chance of playing than this year's pick 57? Probably, but that's not to say a kid we pick up late in the draft isn't going to develop into a very good footballer.

I hope he has a defined role and plays from round 1, otherwise I think we've overpaid for a bloke that's barely seen top line action for almost half a decade.

Mofra
08-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Our third pick last year was Barry Hall :)

Has he got more chance of playing than this year's pick 57? Probably, but that's not to say a kid we pick up late in the draft isn't going to develop into a very good footballer.

I hope he has a defined role and plays from round 1, otherwise I think we've overpaid for a bloke that's barely seen top line action for almost half a decade.
Whoops - I was thinking in the draft, Marcovic.

Hey Shakira, if you don't kick 81 goals next year I'm going to look like a dill on an internet forum, start training already!

Desipura
08-10-2010, 12:50 PM
If Djerrkura is a 3rd round pick, then surely Hill is worth a 2nd round pick!

G-Mo77
08-10-2010, 12:51 PM
Overs IMO. :confused:

Greystache
08-10-2010, 12:51 PM
Maybe we can agree on a nickname for him, I can see some arguments over his name.

57 is a little disappointing given we'll only have a couple live picks in the 70's if we get Sherman, but if he can play a role then it's worth it.

comrade
08-10-2010, 12:52 PM
Maybe we can agree on a nickname for him, I can see some arguments over his name.

57 is a little disappointing given we'll only have a couple live picks in the 70's if we get Sherman, but if he can play a role then it's worth it.

DJ seems a decent enough nickname.

DOG GOD
Trade week radio just suggesting that the hale deal to Hawks is pretty much done for their Campbell Brown pick (the one we want for Hill), so i cant see us getting anything other than their pick of 37. Will we fold and take that, coz if we give our harbrow pick for Sherman, then our 1st live pick will be 73 :(

mighty_west

How about we just call him DJ...:p

Probably paid overs, heard the Hawks were also interested, if he becomes a good player for us what he costs us means bugger all.

Go DJ!!!

comrade
08-10-2010, 12:53 PM

Good point. Maybe that's why we did it :D

Greystache
08-10-2010, 12:53 PM

Or a 1st if it's Hawthorn.

Greystache
08-10-2010, 12:55 PM
DJ seems a decent enough nickname.

Ok, JD it is! :D

Desipura
08-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Good point. Maybe that's why we did it :D
Dont worry, it crossed my mind.

Mantis
08-10-2010, 12:56 PM

Going on Dalrymple's selections last year the less picks the better..... Only kidding Simon. :D

Doc26
08-10-2010, 12:58 PM

And if Cambell Brown is worth an end of round 1 pick ...............

Yes is slightly over the odds but we had a need which on paper at least he can fill. We've backed ourselves in to develop him, lets hope it pays off.

Hopefully we see a bit of this next year as there wasn't much of it in 2010.

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/8228/djerrkura.jpg

Desipura
08-10-2010, 01:00 PM

Yes is slightly over the odds but we had a need which on paper at least he can fill. We've backed ourselves in to develop him, lets hope it pays off.

Dont start me on that. Hale for Brown, Hawks will be loving the system.

LostDoggy
08-10-2010, 01:04 PM
I agree that it's not too much to pay -- we're not really 'doing a Brisbane', Rocket and the list managers have obviously thought through the implications of the next few years with GC17 and GWS and realised that there won't be much value left in the draft, so draft picks are less valuable in the next few years.

Combined with the 20-25 age group void on the list, going after a few more ready made players that could play clear roles isn't really a bad idea, and would definitely give the list a lot more depth over the next few years.

Greystache

Barlow back on the field?

SlimPickens
I'll be interested to see what the club thinks Nathans role for us will be. Disappointed that we offered a third round pick for him. Thought a fourth round would get it over the line.

Where's the new avatar Grey?

LostDoggy
08-10-2010, 01:05 PM
My nomination for his nickname, with a WOOF flavour (long-time posters will know what I'm talking about) would be:

"Djerry".

"Djezza" would work.. and we could go "Razzle-Djezzle" when he pulls a goal out of his butt.

LostDoggy
08-10-2010, 01:06 PM
As a nickname, I think Jerker might catch on.

Doc26
08-10-2010, 01:09 PM
Critically he carries on our legacy of Nathan's :eek:

SlimPickens
08-10-2010, 01:12 PM
as a nickname, i think jerker might catch on.

d-jerk!

Greystache
08-10-2010, 01:12 PM
I'll be interested to see what the club thinks Nathans role for us will be. Disappointed that we offered a third round pick for him. Thought a fourth round would get it over the line.

Where's the new avatar Grey?

I'll get to work, it just needs to be seemless like the Veszpremi one is, I wouldn't want it to be a half arsed rush job! :p

Mantis
08-10-2010, 01:15 PM
I hope that Geelong chuck in a their 4th rounder with this deal as it's reported Geelong will only be using their first 3 picks.

edit. Paperwork gone thru and it's a straight swap.

bornadog
08-10-2010, 01:15 PM
I'll get to work, it just needs to be seemless like the Veszpremi one is, I wouldn't want it to be a half arsed rush job! :p

Don't give up your day job:D

The Underdog
08-10-2010, 01:18 PM
I hope that Geelong chuck in a their 4th rounder with this deal as it's reported Geelong will only be using their first 3 picks.

edit. Paperwork gone thru and it's a straight swap.

That was my first thought, that surely there'd be a late Cats pick thrown in but no mention yet. If it's not the case we've seemingly overpaid which is a little unusual given our recent track record.

GVGjr
08-10-2010, 01:26 PM

He'll probably be tried up forward but I wouldn't mind giving him a crack at Harby's old spot.

I hope this one doesn't come back and bite us. I think we overpaid by a fair margin

LostDoggy
08-10-2010, 01:33 PM

In detail, he was picked up in 2006 at #25, injured in 2007. Didn't play in 2008.

Played 3 games in 2009, 1 game in 2010. Just turned 22, has plenty of Football to come :)

Mantis
08-10-2010, 01:34 PM
I hope this one doesn't come back and bite us. I think we overpaid by a fair margin

In your opinion what would have been a fair price to pay?

Greystache
08-10-2010, 01:35 PM
Don't give up your day job:D

What do you think?

Who needs photoshop when you have MS Office paint!

PS I thought I'd go the white one given I know how much people on here love it! :D

Desipura
08-10-2010, 01:37 PM
What do you think?

Who needs photoshop when you have MS Office paint!

PS I thought I'd go the white one given I know how much people on here love it! :D
Looks like Lally Bamblett 10 years after retirement

comrade
08-10-2010, 01:45 PM
In detail, he was picked up in 2006 at #25, injured in 2007. Didn't play in 2008.

Played 3 games in 2009, 1 game in 2010. Just turned 22, has plenty of Football to come :)

He was on the brink of being delisted and we didn't even manage to secure a sweetener pick in the deal. Dalrymple had a disastrous draft in 2009 (to this point) and isn't going to have much opportunity to build his reputation this year.

If DJ is given a defined role within the team and is allowed every opportunity to develop next year then we should be ok, but as it stands we paid too much.

Desipura
08-10-2010, 01:52 PM
He was on the brink of being delisted and we didn't even manage to secure a sweetener pick in the deal. Dalrymple had a disastrous draft in 2009 (to this point) and isn't going to have much opportunity to build his reputation this year.

If DJ is given a defined role within the team and is allowed every opportunity to develop next year then we should be ok, but as it stands we paid too much.
I agree with the above, one consolation being DJ was at the Cats whilst they playing in 3 grand finals. Pretty hard to crack it for a regular game during that time as the cats were an awesome side.

comrade
08-10-2010, 01:54 PM
I agree with the above, one consolation being DJ was at the Cats whilst they playing in 3 grand finals. Pretty hard to crack it for a regular game during that time as the cats were an awesome side.

No doubt, but he wasn't exactly dominating at VFL level during this time.

FWIW, I was all for securing him as he has genuine pace but a sub 60 pick (without a sweetener) is overs at this point.

If he is given a genuine role and plays round 1, I'll be happy. If he's just seen as depth and 'hopefully' steps up in some sort of midfield/forward role, I'll be unhappy.

Collingwood had a great trade period last year as they identified quality players that could fill defined roles. Both Veszpremi and DJ are a little flaky when it comes to their best position (as was Everitt). Hopefully we can settle them quickly.

Greystache
08-10-2010, 01:54 PM

The same was said about Callan and Prismal, now at new clubs it becomes obvious that they're just not that good.

LostDoggy
08-10-2010, 02:00 PM
Worry about him when he's actually played a few years i.e end of first contract.

We paid MASSIVE OVERS for spuds like Power, Walsh, Rawlings and McMahon. Add Ray in there as a fail for us.

He's a player with a few pre season under his belt and more experience than any pick 57 will have at this draft. He's in to possibly fill a spot in the pocket/flank, either forward or back (ala Harbs).

Let Durka Durka show his worth before throwing out the "massive over's" just yet

LostDoggy
08-10-2010, 02:13 PM
His stage name is D J Ekurra

Desipura
08-10-2010, 02:17 PM
DJ from what I am hearing has natural ability and has a great attitude. Colin Wisbey (freelance recruiter) who's opinion I rate wrote a detailed report he was drafted.
Im trying to locate it.

LostDoggy
08-10-2010, 02:21 PM
DJ from what I am hearing has natural ability and has a great attitude. Colin Wisbey (freelance recruiter) who's opinion I rate wrote a detailed report he was drafted.
Im trying to locate it.

If that's the case then perhaps he's also been brought in to act as mentor, a slightly older one, to players such as Stack and Hill (should they not get delisted/traded).

Our aboriginal boys seem to have lost their way in the last season (Harbs wanted to go home and Hill/Stack lack application/following through on tasks)

Raw Toast
08-10-2010, 02:28 PM
Im trying to locate it.

Here's Wisbey's take on him after he was drafted from the Cats bf board FWIW - he obviously hasn't lived up to it yet, but we live in hope :)

DJERRKURA, Nathan (25 GEE) [9] 176cm electrifying, fierce, dynamic, quick, clean, take-them-on, relentless ball-carrying dasher. Byron Picket with some Wirrpanda. Breaks the play open. Exciting combination of speed, motor, attack, physicality and natural footballer ability. Despite his height, I think he is likely to be something special. X-factor. Trademarks are (1) Come from nowhere to run opponent down with excellent closing speed and fierce tackle ("silent assassin" ), (2) Take-them-on dash then kick into forward 50 (if not nailed in the process!).

Other main selling points are intensity, balance, contested ball ability, agility, endurance, overhead, consistency, evasion, traffic management, versatility. Gives away an avg 3 frees per game, virtually all through either (over-)ambitiously taking opponents on and getting nailed, or through over-zealous tackles. He's a smart kid and I'm confident he will learn to be more judicious.

Regardless, even though 3 FAs a game is not what a coach would normally like to see, I think it is more than balanced by the pressure he puts opponents under (a la Davey, but with brutality) and the number of times he is actually successful in breaking the play open with his daring. i.e. If you want the benefits of his attack on the man and opening up of the play, you should expect to have to wear occasional slip-ups. Benefit greatly outweighs cost in Djerrkura's case. (I'd rather a kid who dares to dare than one who plays introverted). He is as quick as any '06 draftee. He is as good and as reliable in the air as most of the other good smalls/mediums who are good overhead. Usually a good kick and his disposals often hurt.

Has the dash, daring and hurt factor you want from an outside player, the hardness and in-close ability you want from an inside player, plays tall, is versatile, is footballer and athlete in equal doses, is a great kid who will be very coachable, and doesn't have a "go home" query. Add endurance, physicality and ethic (both ways) to that and IMHO no other kid in this draft can lay better claim to that package of traits. I'm less hung up on height than many people are. Recent premiership teams, Brownlow high voters and AA teams prove there is always a place for a smaller player if he is special enough in certain areas or as a package.

I rated Djerrkura quite a lot earlier than I knew he would go but am very confident he will be very good AFL. Except for (arguably) height, he is made for today's game and could play anywhere down the flanks. Probably best suited to HBF or wing in his early AFL days. Could play BP too but I believe his talents are best utilised where he can afford more risks. In the backline, will be able to supply both Pickett-like pressure as well as plenty of run out of defence and hardball get ability. Down the track I think he could be a good AFL onballer. Has the capacity to potentially be a run-with or even an inside mid. No doubts about his tank or speed or hardness and he is quite clean under pressure (both getting and disposing). And he should be virtually plug 'n play. Bargain.

Desipura
08-10-2010, 02:31 PM
thanks Raw Toast, that version is the shortened version isnt it?

Greystache
08-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Here's Wisbey's take on him after he was drafted from the Cats bf board FWIW - he obviously hasn't lived up to it yet, but we live in hope :)

Sounds like Travis Varcoe to me, bit concerning he couldn't get a game in front of Varcoe who I don't rate particularly highly.

LostDoggy
08-10-2010, 02:38 PM
In any sale the right price is what the buyer is prepared to pay. In this case we believe he is worth pick 57. No other issue is relative, nor is any comparison with other deals.

I am happy to run with the decision. We have plenty of time to discuss whether the price was right.

Mantis
08-10-2010, 02:39 PM
Sounds like Travis Varcoe to me, bit concerning he couldn't get a game in front of Varcoe who I don't rate particularly highly.

On your own there.

I would take Varcoe in a heartbeat.

Greystache
08-10-2010, 02:41 PM
On your own there.

Fair enough. He's quick and can tackle, outside of that I don't think he's much chop. You could pick up a rugby league convert with the same skill set IMO.

LostDoggy
08-10-2010, 02:42 PM

WOW, really? Why?

He's exactly the type of player we need to help out from wing through to the goal square.

Ozza
08-10-2010, 02:52 PM

Personally I think Varcoe is a gun. And I think people forget he is still young (only 22 years old) because he seems like he's been around for quite a while (played 18 games as an 18 year old in their 2007 Premiership season).

Djerrkura essentially had to compete with Stokes, Byrnes and Varcoe - who are three pretty high quality, quick, small forwards. I have no idea if he will be good for us or not - but there are some good reasons that he hasn't had the opportunities yet.

Having said that - I thought we'd get him a bit cheaper - but once you get past about 40 in the draft - its pretty much a lottery whether blokes make it as AFL footballers - so 57 or 73its not as big a difference as say 20 to 30.

LostDoggy
08-10-2010, 02:53 PM
Fair enough. He's quick and can tackle, outside of that I don't think he's much chop. You could pick up a rugby league convert with the same skill set IMO.

Wait a minute -- the guy kicked 30+ goals this year running through the middle, including some bombs from outside the 50, so he has 'goalkicking' as another part of his skillset. I guarantee you Karmicheal Hunt will not kick 30 goals next year.

LostDoggy
08-10-2010, 02:54 PM
On your own there.

Totally agree Mantis. Varcoe is an absolute gun.

Desipura
08-10-2010, 02:55 PM
I had to read the above twice, gee whiz I would have Varcoe any day of the week. A very smooth mover, who loves to run and carry.

Axe Man
08-10-2010, 02:56 PM
I thought Varcoe was really impressive this year from what I saw of him. If Djerrkura develops into a similar player that would be a huge win for us.

Raw Toast
08-10-2010, 02:59 PM

I'm with Mantis and MRM (edit, and everyone else who posted while I was getting this post together :)) on this one. Varcoe's work-rate as a defensive forward is amazing, and I reckon he'd be a walk-up start in any AFL side. The Geelong forward-line hasn't been easy to break into for smalls, but Djerkurra's inability to dominate at VFL level is a concern.

In any sale the right price is what the buyer is prepared to pay. In this case we believe he is worth pick 57. No other issue is relative, nor is any comparison with other deals.

I am happy to run with the decision. We have plenty of time to discuss whether the price was right.

Agreed. Yes he might have been delisted, but I don't think he would've last until our pick. The Age reported today that Hawthorn had some interest, so even with one other (non-top 4) suitor we wouldn't have been able to get him.

thanks Raw Toast, that version is the shortened version isnt it?

Yep, here's the longer version for those who want it:

Nathan Djerrkura (Wanderers)

176/77 mid-age right foot HBF/ onball / utility.

*STYLE LIKE: Pickett/Wirrpanda

*MY RANKING (not meant to reflect appropriate draft pick to use): 9

*PROBABILITY OF AFL CAREER: Definite. Ready year 1.

- Within an AFL team list, could prove capable of SUSTAINING a ranking of 5-10.

*HURT FACTORS (Offensive/Defensive/Negative): M-H / H / L-M

*TRADEMARK:

- Come from nowhere to run opponent down with excellent closing speed and fierce tackle.
- Take-them-on dash then kick into forward 50 (assuming not nailed in the process).

*MAIN SELLING POINTS:

- Pace
- Physicality
- Ball carrier
- X-factor
- Intensity
- Balance
- Contested ball ability
- Agility
- Endurance
- Consistency
- Used to living away from home

*MAIN QUERY:

- Gives away an avg 3 frees per game through being over zealous or over ambitious.

*SUMMARY ASSESSMENT, RECOMMENDATION:

- Only 176cm but electrifying, fierce, dynamic. Quick, relentless runner. The silent assassin. Exhilarating, dashing, daring, powerful, aggressive, purposeful, deadly. Byron Picket with some Wirrpanda. Breaks the play open. Exciting combination of speed, motor, attack, physicality and natural footballer ability.

Despite his height, I think this kid is likely to be something special.

- Here's 3 examples from his '06 games that, apart from kicking to a contest, sum up much of his style, ethic and capability:-
1. "Came from nowhere with excellent closing speed and launched himself at Urquhart (who had the ball) and brought him down with a fierce tackle".
2. "Kicked 35m to a contest then sprinted so hard he managed to collect the spill off that pack then charged away, brushing off 3 tackles".
3. "Took the ball at half-back, took them on, had a 3-bounce dash, sold the dummy beautifully, then a very good longish running goal under a little pressure".

- Has been schooling in Vic recently (Scotch) and was at boarding school for a couple of years before that so there is not the query re settling in that a couple of his "competitors" might have hanging over them. That's a very important factor in his favour, especially compared to some other (including highly-rated) kids in this draft.

- He is as quick as any draft candidate. He is as good and at least as reliable in the air as most of the other good smalls/mediums who are good overhead. He takes them on and regularly carries the ball. He is usually a good kick and his disposals often hurt. Djerrkura has the dash, daring and hurt factor you want from an outside player, the hardness and in-close ability you want from an inside player, plays tall, is versatile, is footballer and athlete in equal doses, is a great kid who will be very coachable, and he doesn't have a go home query. Add endurance, physicality and ethic to that and IMHO no other kid in this draft can lay better claim to that package of traits.

I'm less hung up on height than many people are. Recent AFL premiership teams, Brownlow Medal high voters and AA teams prove that that there is always a place for a smaller player if he is special enough in certain areas or as a package. I rate Djerrkura as qualifying for both those descriptions.

- I rate him quite a lot earlier than he will go but am very confident he will be a very good AFL player. Except for (arguably) height, he is made for today's game. And he should be virtually plug 'n play.

*DISPOSAL:

- Kicking accuracy is not fool-proof and he does the occasional floater but I would describe him as a "good" kick with often high hurt factor. Good depth and power.

- Doesn't spend a lot of time near goals but I'd back him to kick accurately a good percentage of the time when charging through the 50m arc from a comfortable angle.

- Usually reliable by hand, regardless of pressure. (Did have one slight off day in a TAC trial). Quick hands, good power.

- Fairly healthy mix of kicks to feeds. A little on the high side in some games for someone his height but that is more due to his maximising the opportunities to carry the ball and break up the play, rather than not choosing to feed when he should.

- Official stats for his disposal effectiveness are a bit misleading as, due to his competitiveness, he regularly gets contested ball (not just hardball gets per se) and is more often under the inherent pressure from that than many other kids of his size are due to the amount of contesting he does.

*DECISION-MAKING, SMARTS:

- Genuine footballer, despite his athletic qualities. Routinely looks for options, regardless of pressure. Displays good vision, including on the run. Usually make the right decisions. (Main exception is sometimes being a bit over-confident in backing himself to take them on). Reads play and ball very well.

- Very good in-close ... and he is a First Dibs type, which scores higher points from me than being a Predator.

- Regularly loves to back his pace and take them on. Sometimes bites off more than he can chew but when he gets away with it (which is the majority of the time), he can be scintillating.

- Very sharp evasion. Sells the dummy really well. Very good traffic management.

- Currently gives away an avg 3 frees per game. Virtually all are through either ambitiously taking opponents on and getting nailed, or through over-zealous tackles. He's a smart kid and I'm confident he will learn to be more judicious. Regardless, even though 3 FAs a game is not what a coach would normally like to see, I think it is more than balanced by the pressure he puts opponents under (a la Davey, but with brutality) and the number of times he is actually successful in breaking the play open with his daring. i.e. If you want the benefits of his attack on the man and opening up of the play, you should expect to have to wear occasional slip-ups. Benefit greatly outweighs cost in Djerrkura's case.

- Bit of a knack of stealing the ball.

*HANDS:

- Usually very clean at all levels, sometimes especially so (including on the run).

*OVERHEAD MARKING:

- Strong overhead for his size. Attacks his marks fearlessly and with purpose and physicality. Usually clean hands. Judges well. Holds his ground. Can mark from any position including in pack contests. It's not so much that he is special overhead. He isn't (although he can take a screamer). However, he is so competitive that when he doesn't mark, he usually manages to stop the opponent taking the mark, even an opponent some centimetres taller.

*ATHLETICISM:

- Excellent combination of speed and motor and makes the most of both.

- Extremely quick, both off the mark and over ground. Seems to have an extra gear. Excellent closing speed. Excellent running technique.

- Cat-like recovery agility.

- Excellent balance in every aspect. Keeps his feet, rides bumps, shrugs tackles. Balanced runner and mover also.

- Very good endurance.

- Will have excellent build for AFL. Very strong, in the Pickett mould.

*INTENSITY, ETHIC:

- Terrific intensity and ethic. Plays like a natural on-field lead-from-the-front leader.

- Runs hard and aggressively and in both directions. Chases hard. Runs hard and often to create an option. Runs on. No better example than the one mentioned above (#2) (You can go to umpteen games at any level and not see that happen).

- Attacks the man with ferocity (often launching himself after coming from nowhere). Effective tackler. Takes no prisoners. Like Byron Pickett, will give away some frees (avg 3.0 FA per game in '06 U18 Champs) for throwing an opponent to the ground after the opponent has disposed but I can accept that as a by-product cost of his intimidating ferocity and physicality. (Unlike Pickett, no problem with head-high charging though).

- Courageous and plays with desperation and purpose.

- Attacks the ball. Gets plenty of hard ball and isn't often beaten in a 1-1 contest of any sort.

- Quiet personality but quality kid off-field. Likely to get the most out of himself.

*CONSISTENCY:

- Very consistent. He plays in such a full-on manner that he'll give you something virtually "every" quarter of "every" game.

*AFL VERSATILITY:

- Only 176cm but plays fairly tall and could play anywhere down the flanks. Probably best suited to HBF or wing in his early AFL days. Could play BP too but I believe his talents are best utilised where he can afford to take more risks. In the backline, will be able to supply both Pickett-like pressure as well as plenty of run out of defence and hardball get ability.

- Down the track (and possibly not too far down) I think he could be a good AFL onballer. Has the capacity to potentially be a run-with or even an inside mid. No doubts about his tank or speed or hardness and he is quite clean under pressure (both getting and disposing).

*CSI (COMPARATIVE SCOPE for IMPROVEMENT):

- No special factors.

*SOME STATS:

- Stats summary '06 TAC:
Averaged 25 disposals in 1 TAC game (ranking No.14 in comp). 1.0 contested markes. 5.0 tackles. Total goals 1-1 .
15 kicks per 20 disposals.
Ineffective kicks: 3.2 per 10 kicks.
Ineff handballs: 6.7 per 10 handballs.
Ineffective disposals: 8.0 per 20 disp.
HandBall Receives: 6.4 per 20 disp. Uncontested marks: 2.4 per 20 disp. HR+UM: 8.8 per 20 disp.
Contested Marks: 0.8 per 20 disp.

- Stats summary '06 U18 Champs:
Averaged 22 disposals and 5.7 marks in his 3 games. (Best TD 24). (Tot TOG 93%).
Averaged 13 kicks per 20 disposals.
Kicks long vs short: 12-21 (4 long per 10 kicks).
Ineffective kicks: 10/44 (2.3 per 10 kicks), incl 3 clangers (0.7 per 10 kicks).
Ineff handballs: 5/22 (2.3 per 10 handballs), incl 1 clangers (0.5/10 hb).
Ineffective disposals: 15/66 (4.5 per 20 disp), incl 4 clangers (1.2 per 20 disp).
HandBall Receives: 19/66 (5.8 per 20 disp). Uncontested marks: 14/66 (4.2 per 20 disp). HR+UM: 33/66 (10.0 per 20 disp).
Contested marks: 3 (0.9 per 20 disp).
Hardball gets: 8/66 (2.4 per 20 disp).
SP Clears: 7/66 (2.1 per 20 disp), incl 3 CBC (0.9/20 disp) and 1 other BU (0.3/20 disp).
Tackles: 11 (Avg 3.7 per game).
Frees against: Avg 3.0 per game.

*OTHER STUFF:

- All Aust TY.
- 2 Morrish Medal votes '06 (polled in 1 games).
- 3 Coaches Award votes '06 (polled in 1 games).
- Mainly school footy '06 (+U18 Champs & trials).
- NT MVP '06 U18 Champs.

Desipura
08-10-2010, 03:01 PM
thanks again Raw Toast.
My Geelong mate says he is like Varcoe was 3 years ago, hope he turns out similar to Varcoe!

Sedat
08-10-2010, 03:05 PM
Pick 57 is not exactly pick 27. Paying over the odds with pick 57 is like saying that packet of chips you bought at the milk bar was 20c too expensive. Anyway we got the additional late pick thrown in as part of the Vespa trade, so essentially we've got Vespa and DJ in for Everitt (a much better balance to the list now), with a minor downgrade of a late draft pick - whoever Dalrymple had in mind with pick 57 will more than likely still be available at pick 73.

soupman
08-10-2010, 03:09 PM
I love Wisbey's reports. They are so detailed. This is a very positive report with no real queries raised, and it certainly gets you excited about Djerrkurra, even if you have to take into account that thus far he hasn't shown himself to be an AFL footballer.

Raw Toast
08-10-2010, 03:10 PM
thanks again Raw Toast.
My Geelong mate says he is like Varcoe was 3 years ago, hope he turns out similar to Varcoe!

My pleasure Desipura. Wisbey had him spelt wrong too, so it was harder to find!

Wisbey's a very good writer of these profiles, if he likes someone he sells them brilliantly (his profile of Griffen is glorious), but he can also demolish others in the same way. Like others interested in recruiting, he's got some things very wrong in the past (eg Billy Morrison), but he's been on the money a number of times (eg Tim Walsh).

I think he's pretty good at judging intensity, and like that Djerkurra seems to have it in spades. Looking at this profile, I also think that he's likely to suit our game style a bit more than the Cats - we tend to run and carry a bit more than them, who tend to share it around more by hand. And small forwards can take awhile to get going (eg the Daveys). So as a reluctant optimist, I reckon we've taken a reasonable risk with him.

bulldogsman
08-10-2010, 03:14 PM
Why do you all think Djekurra would have been delisted? He would not have been which is why we had to pay our 3rd round pick.

Thought we played over only slightly.

Desipura
08-10-2010, 03:15 PM
My pleasure Desipura. Wisbey had him spelt wrong too, so it was harder to find!

Wisbey's a very good writer of these profiles, if he likes someone he sells them brilliantly (his profile of Griffen is glorious), but he can also demolish others in the same way. Like others interested in recruiting, he's got some things very wrong in the past (eg Billy Morrison), but he's been on the money a number of times (eg Tim Walsh).

I think he's pretty good at judging intensity, and like that Djerkurra seems to have it in spades. Looking at this profile, I also think that he's likely to suit our game style a bit more than the Cats - we tend to run and carry a bit more than them, who tend to share it around more by hand. And small forwards can take awhile to get going (eg the Daveys). So as a reluctant optimist, I reckon we've taken a reasonable risk with him.
Hence why I had trouble locating the write up. hehe
Wisbey always rated Jamar from a young age even when no club initially drafted him. Appeared to be write on the money with that one as well as his non too complimentary write up of Sam Power.
Wisbey does not rate players who lack intensity which is fair enough to a point.

stefoid
08-10-2010, 03:15 PM
"the pressure he puts opponents under (a la Davey, but with brutality)" :D:D

I really like the 'silent assasin' theme and I reckon he has defensive small forward written all over him/ .Vespremi to add the goal sense and danger in offence, and DJ to give the opposition defenders brown trouser syndrome!

Mofra
08-10-2010, 03:18 PM
Just as an example of what we paid, other pick 57s include:

2009 Jordan Williams (Hawks)
2008 Aaron Cornelius (Bris) - I think this kid has real talent
2007 Fraser Gehrig - redrafted by St Kilda
2006 Simon Hogan (Geelong)
2005 Michael West (Bulldogs) - Patrick Bwoden pick? Wiki say #56 but we used #57
2004 Brad Smith (WCE)
2003 Ricky Mott (Carlton)

Very hit or miss and realistically we probably paid fair value.

Desipura
08-10-2010, 03:22 PM

2005 Michael West (Bulldogs) - Patrick Bwoden pick? Wiki say #56 but we used #57
2004 Brad Smith (WCE)

Good work. DJ is not a project player, we will know soon enough whether he has the makings of becoming a regular senior player.

comrade
08-10-2010, 03:24 PM

2004 Brad Smith (WCE)

It's not only pick 57 in isolation, it's players picked after as well that could potentially have been secured at pick 57.

To drive home your point though, 57 is more like pick 70 this year with the 17 year olds taken out.

Sockeye Salmon
08-10-2010, 03:40 PM
It's not only pick 57 in isolation, it's players picked after as well that could potentially have been secured at pick 57.

To drive home your point though, 57 is more like pick 70 this year with the 17 year olds taken out.

Unfortunately, if you pick a dud when it's your turn, they don't let you have another go later on.

soupman
08-10-2010, 03:40 PM

Yeah but the point is that pick 57 isn't really that great. Djerrkura is probably just as good if not a much better chance of making it than a kid at pick 57 that could potentially last to pick 73 anyway.

LostDoggy
08-10-2010, 03:44 PM
Sensational. A terrific bloke by all reports. And loves tackling! With time and games, should blossom. What an addition to our team. Forget what we paid, look at what he can do for us. Attitude, pace, forward pressure. So much potential upside here, provided he can stay fit.

ReLoad
08-10-2010, 04:41 PM
pick 57 isnt pick 57 this year, as mentioned above, its pick 70, so we didnt pay over the odds.

Given the other fringe players that have gone, I think he looks ok, the ability to run hard and tackle is a huge asset, and given his "over zealous" nature in tacking too hard, thats something we have needed for a LONG time.

One of my favour aspects this years has been watching Baz, not only kicking all those Sausage Rolls, but his chase and tackle, when he tackles, my goodness, they stay tackled.

So no complaints at all about this one.

Jasper
08-10-2010, 04:50 PM
Sensational. A terrific bloke by all reports. And loves tackling! With time and games, should blossom. What an addition to our team. Forget what we paid, look at what he can do for us. Attitude, pace, forward pressure. So much potential upside here, provided he can stay fit.

This is the confusing part.
If all the above is true, why are Geelong letting him go?
Surely with Ablett moving on, a couple of retirements, Varcoe to the midfield, there would be a sport for him up forward.

I have no issue with pick #57, very few guaranteed senior players around that mark, so definitely worth a punt, given our first two picks are 18 year old guns

The Adelaide Connection
08-10-2010, 04:54 PM
This is the confusing part.
If all the above is true, why are Geelong letting him go?
Surely with Ablett moving on, a couple of retirements, Varcoe to the midfield, there would be a sport for him up forward.

I have no issue with pick #57, very few guaranteed senior players around that mark, so definitely worth a punt, given our first two picks are 18 year old guns

Geelong also have another 20 year old Varcoe (Adam) who is a bit of a carbon copy of his older brother from all reports. I am guessing he may fill a forward role.

jazzadogs
08-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Geelong also have another 20 year old Varcoe (Adam) who is a bit of a carbon copy of his older brother from all reports. I am guessing he may fill a forward role.
They have the young Motlop as well don't they?

Happy with the deal for Djerkurra, as much as it's concerning to not have a 'live' pick until so late in the draft, this is probably less speculative than picking up an 18 year old in the draft.

Welcome, and good luck DJ.

LostDoggy
08-10-2010, 05:12 PM
We picked up a two potential top 20 draftees for a late first and a late second round DP. People seem to be forgetting those facts when referring to the "Live" draft.

This could be one of the biggest pot-luck drafts in memory.

We've already played our first two hands while everyone was in the bathroom :)

stefoid
08-10-2010, 05:18 PM
pick 57 isnt pick 57 this year, as mentioned above, its pick 70, so we didnt pay over the odds.

Given the other fringe players that have gone, I think he looks ok, the ability to run hard and tackle is a huge asset, and given his "over zealous" nature in tacking too hard, thats something we have needed for a LONG time.

One of my favour aspects this years has been watching Baz, not only kicking all those Sausage Rolls, but his chase and tackle, when he tackles, my goodness, they stay tackled.

So no complaints at all about this one.

Giving away frees in the forward line for crunching defenders is cool - gives us 10 seconds to man up while the umpire is dicking around...

LostDoggy
08-10-2010, 05:21 PM
Higgins, Jones, Grant
DJ, Hall, Ves

DJ as the Defensive forward
Ves as the skillfull crumbing forward
Gia to push up into the midfield (played great there this year when Boyd was out) swapping with DJ and Higgins!

bornadog
08-10-2010, 05:28 PM
Higgins, Jones, Grant
DJ, Hall, Ves

DJ as the Defensive forward
Ves as the skillfull crumbing forward
Gia to push up into the midfield (played great there this year when Boyd was out) swapping with DJ and Higgins!

or Higgins to midfield and Hill HFF?

Sockeye Salmon
08-10-2010, 05:38 PM
Giving away frees in the forward line for crunching defenders is cool - gives us 10 seconds to man up while the umpire is dicking around...

Funny, most folk didn't see it this way when Minson was doing it.

stefoid
08-10-2010, 06:32 PM
Funny, most folk didn't see it this way when Minson was doing it.

Turning a repeat stoppage into a free kick by jumping on someone is a bit different from turning an unpressured kick out of defence into a free kick by running them down.

azabob
08-10-2010, 06:43 PM
My nomination for his nickname, with a WOOF flavour (long-time posters will know what I'm talking about) would be:

"Djerry".

"Djezza" would work.. and we could go "Razzle-Djezzle" when he pulls a goal out of his butt.

Where is Djerry? Now Freo are wining he has jumped off us?

The Bulldogs Bite
08-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Think we overpaid slightly - but I won't lose any sleep over it. Fair enough deal, given Geelong actually want something for their players. It's not like it has been in the past 2-3 years, where they've needed to offload players for salary cap relief - and for absolutely nothing. They've got some cap space now and rightfully, they wanted something to hang their hat on.

Our forward structure is going to look vastly different in 2011. We'll see more of Jones and Veszpremi, Djerrkura and possibly Sherman.

EasternWest
08-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Let Durka Durka show his worth before throwing out the "massive over's" just yet

Look we're getting off track discussing his pros and cons. We need to return to the topic truly at hand: his nickname.

Forget DJ, it must be Durka Durka.

LostDoggy
08-10-2010, 07:30 PM
Every time i read his name or hear it on the radio, i think of Shakira. lol.

LostDoggy
08-10-2010, 07:36 PM
I just updated his Wikipedia page, i am bored :D

Found this there.

Djerrkura's nickname is Djidi which means "black magic."

Bumper Bulldogs
08-10-2010, 08:45 PM

Not the only one who would find it hard amongst that Midfield.

I say tear it up and make the most of your 2nd opportunity.

The only down side that I can see is his height. but i still like the pick up and hope he can be that X factor we are looking for.

Desipura
08-10-2010, 09:42 PM
I just updated his Wikipedia page, i am bored :D

Found this there.

Djerrkura's nickname is Djidi which means "black magic."
I never know what you can and cannot say these days, I will stick with jerk. :D

LostDoggy
09-10-2010, 08:53 AM
I think he is good chance to play bp rather than forward

SlimPickens
09-10-2010, 11:21 AM

I agree with this, speaking to a geelong supporter today they really rate his closing speed and from readying the bios on him they all tend to state that speed is his biggest weapon. The description he gave me was a very fast Byron Pickett (maybe a little fair fetched but if we got that i'd be happy). If we tried to mould him into a Harbrow type, take the game on back man i think it could work.

azabob
09-10-2010, 11:21 AM
He may lack height but he seems to have a good size about him, hopefully meaning he doesn't get pushed off the ball so easily.

Go_Dogs
09-10-2010, 11:24 AM
I think this could be a good selection for us.

ratsmac
09-10-2010, 11:27 AM
Look we're getting off track discussing his pros and cons. We need to return to the topic truly at hand: his nickname.

Forget DJ, it must be Durka Durka.

I love it, Team America style!! Durka Durka was my first thought too.

mighty_west
09-10-2010, 11:53 AM

Rocket on SEN not long ago said he could also rotate with the midfield group but mentioned him as being a forward, i was also thinking backline, so it will be interesting to see what we do with Nathan.

LostDoggy
09-10-2010, 11:55 AM
Whatever nickname we come up with....... welcome to our team!

Mofra
09-10-2010, 12:43 PM
So can I - some of the reports I've read about him remind of a quicker version of Cam Faulkner, does the hard stuff but maybe he can't find the easy ball. Harbrow was an ok FP who turned into a very good BP player.
Will be intersting to see how we structure up next year.

LostDoggy
09-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Really pleased to see him at the Bulldogs. Sounds like he really has the credentials that we are looking for.

It has been a very good week for the future of our club so far with Wallis and Liberatore being taken with our first two selection in the draft, plus the incoming trades of ealry 20 year olds Veszpani and Djurkerra who both bring untapped talent.

Hopefully we can complete another 1-2 trades before Monday lunchtime and we will see a very good turnover of the list which hasnt been able to get us past the PF on three occasions.

jazzadogs
09-10-2010, 03:53 PM
Really pleased to see him at the Bulldogs. Sounds like he really has the credentials that we are looking for.

It has been a very good week for the future of our club so far with Wallis and Liberatore being taken with our first two selection in the draft, plus the incoming trades of ealry 20 year olds Veszpani and Djurkerra who both bring untapped talent.

Hopefully we can complete another 1-2 trades before Monday lunchtime and we will see a very good turnover of the list which hasnt been able to get us past the PF on three occasions.

These names really are gonna mess with some posters...

Veszpremi. Djerrkura.

hujsh
09-10-2010, 03:58 PM
These names really are gonna mess with some posters...

Veszpremi. Djerrkura.

Not if they're Vesper and Jerky.

comrade
09-10-2010, 04:25 PM
Not if they're Vesper and Jerky.

Beef?

hujsh
09-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Beef?

Yeah, I guess.

hujsh
28-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Djekurra in Doggies colours

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=458356217486&set=a.394114772486.173267.356560647486&ref=nf

LostDoggy
28-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Someone on facebook wrote Mark West II, I can see the likeness, even though different hairstyle.

The Coon Dog
28-10-2010, 06:22 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs394.ash2/67199_458356217486_356560647486_5357672_605690_n.jpg

chef
28-10-2010, 06:25 PM
God he looks like Sean Charles.

Desipura
29-10-2010, 10:31 AM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs394.ash2/67199_458356217486_356560647486_5357672_605690_n.jpg

First person that can tell me what his tattoo is on his right arm, wins a prize. :D

LostDoggy
29-10-2010, 11:05 AM
http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Nathan+Djerrkura/AFL+Rd+3+Dockers+v+Cats/ioBr9WENMSK

It's some sort of fish, maybe a Barra. He likes getting up the top end for a bit of R&R so i've read.

Now, prize... :)

Desipura
29-10-2010, 11:06 AM
http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Nathan+Djerrkura/AFL+Rd+3+Dockers+v+Cats/ioBr9WENMSK

It's some sort of fish, maybe a Barra. He likes getting up the top end for a bit of R&R so i've read.

Now, prize... :)
Getting to read my posts. :D

LostDoggy
17-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Has anyone been watching this guy? I had high hopes for him as a tough, strong defensive player who could move well as a half forward or a back pocket. But I have read various limitations being placed upon him such as tackles crudely, isn't where the ball is, and may struggle to kick accurately under pressure. He seems to have a great attitude and has the potential to develop.....but where will he fit in, if any of the above limitations are true? Today's footballer needs elite disposal (foot or hand), and has to have the know how to get the pill in the first place. And being able to tackle defensively is not going to help his cause if it leads to too many frees against. I really like the look of him and think he can make it; I just hope we give him the confidence that comes from allowing him to settle into a position.

LostDoggy
18-01-2011, 09:00 PM
He has trained well since arriving at the kennel IMO. Was 4th in the 100m beep test behind Barlow, Boyd and Cross. No shame to found there. Covers a lot of ground every game simulation I've seen so far but not always to advantage and also seen him used in both forward and defensive roles at around a 30/70 ratio of play time. As for crude tackling, I'm not sure whether it's because it's the preseason and he is tackling his teamates but that issue has not been seen yet by me. I do get to a few sessions to say all this with some cofidence and give a fair and honest appraisal thusfar of Nathan.

Swoop
18-01-2011, 10:44 PM
His fitness base has probably surprised some who thought he may have been limited to playing in a pocket at either end and it certainly adds another string to his bow. I would say at this stage he has ticked all the boxes asked of him but until they start playing games we won't really know where he stands in the pecking order.