PDA

View Full Version : Sherman - Will he be a Bulldog by 2.00pm on Monday?

GVGjr
10-10-2010, 11:16 AM
Thought I should start a poll to see if we believe we can get the Sherman deal done with the Lions by the deadline.

OLD SCRAGGer
10-10-2010, 11:22 AM
According to Liam Pickering, the deal for Justin to come to Dogs was rubber stamped late yesterday, I HOPE he was correct!!!:)

azabob
10-10-2010, 11:27 AM
I'm hoping he will stay a Lion. We can't affoard to trade our compo pick away. We need to use this pick either this draft or next draft. Otherwise I think in a few years our list will again be unbalanced.
We are not drafting enough 18 year olds into the club especially over the last 3 years.

DOG GOD
10-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Right from the get go it seemed the dogs targeted this guy heavily. Veszpremi and Djerrkura are bonuses in my eyes and for the club, but they seemed to really have a huge interest in Sherman very early on. He is their number one target and i see the club going full hog to make it happen. So with that being said, i think he will be a bulldog, although personally, i'm not fussed either way.

Ghost Dog
10-10-2010, 12:47 PM
GVGjr - What's your view of the Sherman deal? worth the asking price in the scheme of things?

LostDoggy
10-10-2010, 01:00 PM
I'm backing Rocket and co on this one. They have obviously spent a bit of time watching this guy and are impressed with what he can offer the team. He is also keen as mustard to come to the Club. Sydney don't usually target players that they think they can't turn into gems so that's got to be a good sign too.

I think the deal will get done. We've drafted a couple of good young players with our Father/Son picks.

GVGjr
10-10-2010, 01:25 PM
GVGjr - What's your view of the Sherman deal? worth the asking price in the scheme of things?

Essentially its Harbrow for Sherman and I think we lose a bit there but its probably the best we can do.
The asking price concerns me and what his demands might be going forward.

I think we can cover the loss of Harbrow internally but I understand why we have interest.

I think the trade will go through but I hope we don't sweeten it if the Hill trade goes through as well.

Sockeye Salmon
10-10-2010, 02:14 PM
I'm hoping he will stay a Lion. We can't affoard to trade our compo pick away. We need to use this pick either this draft or next draft. Otherwise I think in a few years our list will again be unbalanced.
We are not drafting enough 18 year olds into the club especially over the last 3 years.

Why is it so important to have 18 yos?

Djerrkua, Vespremi & Sherman are all either 21 or 22.

18yos have to be developed for a few years and then may never come good anyway. I think I read >30% of all draftees taken outside of the first round play 50 games.

Lake, Morris, Boyd, Picken were all drafted at least 2 years after they were first eligible.

We also have a huge number of inexperienced players.

I suppose it all comes down to whether it's more important to have the youngest list or the best list.

azabob
10-10-2010, 02:59 PM
Why is it so important to have 18 yos?

Djerrkua, Vespremi & Sherman are all either 21 or 22.

18yos have to be developed for a few years and then may never come good anyway. I think I read >30% of all draftees taken outside of the first round play 50 games.

Lake, Morris, Boyd, Picken were all drafted at least 2 years after they were first eligible.

We also have a huge number of inexperienced players.

I suppose it all comes down to whether it's more important to have the youngest list or the best list.

It's not important to have 18 year olds but father time waits for no man.
I think it is important to have a balanced list. When Eade arrived he had a gulph of players in the 21-24 year old bracket and I beileve we are heading down the same path again.

For what its worth Sherman will be 24 in Jan next year.

bornadog
10-10-2010, 03:20 PM
For what its worth Sherman will be 24 in Jan next year.

Just the time to start maturing as a player.

G-Mo77
10-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Emma Quayle
Justin Sherman's a Bulldog. Just waiting on the details.

from Twitter

LostDoggy
10-10-2010, 03:46 PM
Mark Stevens via Twitter
Done deal: Sherman a Bulldog ... Paperwork will be done tomorrow. Bris get Harbrow comp pick

LostDoggy
10-10-2010, 03:46 PM
Put down Bulldog because I sure hope he becomes one :)

G-Mo77
10-10-2010, 03:47 PM
OK time to close the poll

Throughandthrough
10-10-2010, 03:49 PM
the sherminator!

Doc26
10-10-2010, 03:55 PM
Mark Stevens via Twitter
Done deal: Sherman a Bulldog ... Paperwork will be done tomorrow. Bris get Harbrow comp pick

Just reported by Nathan Thompson on Trade Week Radio that rumour has it that a deal has been struck for Sherman to go to Dogs for Harbrow pick.

A message has been left with Pickering and / or Fantasia to confirm this latest position.

edit: Deal has now been confirmed

mighty_west
10-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Just the time to start maturing as a player.

Exactly, and fits in well with our age group, and nicely alongside Cooney & Griffen, bigger body with speed, i have no problems picking up a few 21-24 year olds as long as we continue bringing in the kids, which we will, and 2 of those highly rated in Mitch & Tom.

DOG GOD
10-10-2010, 05:24 PM
So it looks like we will have only our picks 73 and 77 to use now, or will we really go full hog to get a pick for Hill?

mighty_west
10-10-2010, 05:30 PM
So it looks like we will have only our picks 73 and 77 to use now, or will we really go full hog to get a pick for Hill?

Unless we upgrade those picks for Tiller [asked to be traded] & Stack who wants to go home.

Ghost Dog
10-10-2010, 06:52 PM
Essentially its Harbrow for Sherman and I think we lose a bit there but its probably the best we can do.
The asking price concerns me and what his demands might be going forward.

I think we can cover the loss of Harbrow internally but I understand why we have interest.

I think the trade will go through but I hope we don't sweeten it if the Hill trade goes through as well.

I suppose the advantage we have is he really wanted to come to us, so maybe that helped with the numbers. I also think alot of players could have filled Harbrow's shoes, as good as he was. Sherman seems like a bit of a showpony, hope he walks the walk. Have not really seen him much as a player. Anyone else want to comment on his footy? I'm in China now and can't get youtube :(

bulldogsfight
10-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Dog deal agreed for Sherman, says agent

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/103979/default.aspx

AndrewP6
10-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Yes I think he will be... ;)

Desipura
11-10-2010, 10:53 AM
For those of you who thought we should have kept the pick, look at it this way.
No one knows how good a player the Harbrow compensation pick would have netted us.
He could be an absolute gun in a few years time or a dud. Sherman is no dud thats for sure.

By getting Sherman we are getting a strong and quick player who is 23yo with 100 games experience. We lack pace and players in this age bracket, thuse addressing our weaknesses immediately.
He has been inconsistent over the journey, hope that changes. I think he will enjoy playing on the fast track at Etihad regularly.
"A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush" as they say.

bornadog
11-10-2010, 12:13 PM
For those of you who thought we should have kept the pick, look at it this way.
No one knows how good a player the Harbrow compensation pick would have netted us.
He could be an absolute gun in a few years time or a dud. Sherman is no dud thats for sure.

By getting Sherman we are getting a strong and quick player who is 23yo with 100 games experience. We lack pace and players in this age bracket, thuse addressing our weaknesses immediately.
He has been inconsistent over the journey, hope that changes. I think he will enjoy playing on the fast track at Etihad regularly.
"A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush" as they say.

Spot on Desi

LostDoggy
11-10-2010, 12:28 PM
I voted bulldog because he's a bulldog.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii283/brightblue462/the_simpsons_ralph_wiggum.png