PDA

View Full Version : Sherman a Bulldog

1eyedog
10-10-2010, 04:14 PM
THE Western Bulldogs have secured Brisbane Lions forward Justin Sherman in a trade deal.
After days of negotiations, the Lions this afternoon accepted the Bulldogs' offer of the Jarrod Harbrow compensation pick in return.

The pick, recieved by the Dogs for losing Harbrow to the Gold Coast, is likely to be in the high twenties.

Sydney had attempted to lure Sherman, but he held firm despite the attraction of a four-year deal at the Swans.

From Mark Stevens Herald Sun.

bornadog
10-10-2010, 04:15 PM
yes!:)

Pedro Sanchez
10-10-2010, 04:18 PM
They doing business over the weekend then?

Still not sure about this bloke... When he's on he looks decent although he has a tendancy to butcher the ball... And when he's not, well he's nowhere near it...

Anyway hopefully he blossoms with us.

LostDoggy
10-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Poor avatar attempt complete :D

mighty_west
10-10-2010, 04:38 PM
Awesome, we got our man, now let's pack up and go home.

mighty_west
10-10-2010, 04:44 PM
So in effect, we got Sherman for Harbrow, both quick, Harbrow younger but Sherman has the bigger body and can play in the middle, both have OK skills at best.

Fair deal?

The Bulldogs Bite
10-10-2010, 04:47 PM
So in effect, we got Sherman for Harbrow, both quick, Harbrow younger but Sherman has the bigger body and can play in the middle, both have OK skills at best.

Fair deal?

Harbrow's a better player because he's more consistent, but overall I think we'd be pretty happy with this.

Doc26
10-10-2010, 04:49 PM

Fair deal?

Plus one wanted to be with us whilst the other didn't.

LostDoggy
10-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Saw Harbrow butcher many a kick this season so if Sherman does the same its like for like

hujsh
10-10-2010, 05:43 PM
Saw Harbrow butcher many a kick this season so if Sherman does the same its like for like

Also had no right boot which held his kicking back. Hopefully Sherman has an opposite foot.

lemmon
10-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Fairly pleased, will play a role we require and hopefully fit in nicely.

Doc26
10-10-2010, 05:58 PM
Also had no right boot which held his kicking back. Hopefully Sherman has an opposite foot.

This has been a faily constant area of criticism about him.

hujsh
10-10-2010, 06:01 PM
This has been a faily constant area of criticism about him.

Then hopefully Grant can show him how to kick a banana really well.

KT31
10-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Welcome to the Doggies, The Shermanator !

LostDoggy
10-10-2010, 06:10 PM
Hopefully this is good for us! Personally, I don't know much about him! I have to admit that other teams players are just guys in different jumpers, and I don't often take that much notice of them! :D Welcome Justin!

chef
10-10-2010, 06:14 PM
Excellent news.

Doc26
10-10-2010, 06:19 PM
Came across this article from the Courier Mail as Sherman was about to post his 100th game this year.

How times have changed since April.

Brisbane Lions' Justin Sherman shows a ton of heart
Courier Mail; April 7, 2010

Sherman is one of those players fans love or hate. His exuberant post-goal celebrations bug some but add to the occasion for others.

But what his critics can't ignore is that he never loses his footing, is strong over the ball and the energy he brings to each contest is a bonus for any team.

He worked hard to fix his foot passing that was once a problem and his next goal is to become a greater contributor in the midfield for the Lions.

"Going inside, helping out the likes of Blackie (Simon Black), they can't carry the load every week," he said.

"We've got to generate guys to help them out, we have to elevate our games to help them out.

"We've got to use our speed and our toughness through there. I've put on a bit of bulk and I'm hoping to get in there a lot more this year."

For some reason, Sherman's name always pops up around trade time but he insists it has never been driven by him and says it is "very important" to him to be a one-club player.

"I'm not sure why I get mentioned, the first time it happened I sat down with the coaching staff and they told me not to worry about it," he said. "I know I am part of the outfit. I've got three more years of contract and I don't want to go anywhere. I'll stay here until they kick me out.

"To play 100 games for this club is pretty special and is something I will cherish."

SlimPickens
10-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Very happy to get Sherman, glad the dogs stood their ground on this trade. Looking forward to seeing Justin burst out of the pack.

I'd say that might be it for the dogs this trade period, unless someone like Adelaide make a last bid for Will. Don't think a deal for Hill will happen, just cant see Hawthorn offering enough.

Bulldog Revolution
10-10-2010, 09:36 PM
Will be interesting to see how he fits into the lineup

LostDoggy
10-10-2010, 09:48 PM
The Dogs had there eye on Sherman for a while and now have the man, trade week has proven to a good one for the Dogs i hope the decisions pay off.

Dancin' Douggy
10-10-2010, 10:27 PM
Well I thought we were gonna be completely screwed when we lost Harbrow.
This scenario. I guess ain't too bad.

Money is the outstanding issue.
Heard he had a massively back loaded contract.
Hope the Lions are gonna pay some of it.

LostDoggy
10-10-2010, 11:19 PM
Welcome Sherman, let's get stuck in for 2011.

macca
11-10-2010, 01:23 AM
We now of Djekurra and Sherman with more leg speed added to the midfield. Looking forward to see the two play next year.

the banker
11-10-2010, 08:37 AM
The failing bodies of Jono, Eagleton and Aker didn't let them contribute a lot this year. Sherman, Vespa and Djera should add pace and enthusiasm lost with Harbrow departure. They will need to make the most of their opportunities. Work hard guys and play the team game, Good luck to all of you at the dogs. Generational change has happened, with Grant, Easton Wood, Cal Ward, Roughead, Mitch and Libba. The team has a lot to look forward to over the next 3-4 years.

Desipura
11-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Looking forward to seeing him celebrate alot of goals for the Dogs. That 1 finger solute (index finger) I have witnesses many a times.

Bumper Bulldogs
11-10-2010, 10:09 PM
Welcome to the kennel Justin, Work hard and enjoy the pre-season. I like the look of death we are getting with the added trades and hope the Reid, Wood, Ward, Mitch & Libba can all get games next and push the side forward.

KT31
11-10-2010, 10:34 PM
Welcome to the kennel Justin, Work hard and enjoy the pre-season. I like the look of death we are getting with the added trades and hope the Reid, Wood, Ward, Mitch & Libba can all get games next and push the side forward.

In : G. Reaper

Out : A. Everitt.

I hope you meant depth.:D

AndrewP6
11-10-2010, 10:43 PM

:D
"I am death!!!!!"
http://arago4.tnw.utwente.nl/stonedead/movies/meaning-of-life/thumbnails/14-grim-reaper-house.jpg

"It's a 'Mr. Death' or something. He's come about the reaping? I don't think we need any at the moment."

EasternWest
11-10-2010, 10:52 PM

Oh crap that was funny.

LostDoggy
11-10-2010, 10:56 PM
"I am death!!!!!"
http://arago4.tnw.utwente.nl/stonedead/movies/meaning-of-life/thumbnails/14-grim-reaper-house.jpg

"It's a 'Mr. Death' or something. He's come about the reaping? I don't think we need any at the moment."

Well done, made my night.

LostDoggy
12-10-2010, 10:54 AM
"I am death!!!!!"

The salmon mousse!! :D

Daughter of the West
12-10-2010, 11:06 AM
The salmon mousse!! :D

"You didn't use canned salmon, did you?"
"I'm most dreadfully embarrassed!" (Can you tell I love that movie? :D)

On a side note, Welcome Sherminator!

BornInDroopSt'54
12-10-2010, 11:51 AM
"I am death!!!!!"

Poet Emily Dickinson portrays Death as polite- he never forgets anyone...

AndrewP6
12-10-2010, 09:15 PM
"You didn't use canned salmon, did you?"
"I'm most dreadfully embarrassed!" (Can you tell I love that movie? :D)

On a side note, Welcome Sherminator!

Me too... love it!

"Shut up! Shut up, you American. You always talk, you Americans, you talk and you talk and say 'Let me tell you something' and 'I just wanna say this.' Well, you're dead now, so shut up!"

AndrewP6
12-10-2010, 09:21 PM
Well done, made my night.

You're welcome...happy to oblige with some Python! There's something to suit every occasion!

Grantysghost
13-10-2010, 02:25 PM
Strange seeing him in the Dogs jumper - hope he goes to a new level.

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2010/10/13/1225938/106916-justin-sherman.jpg

Doc26
13-10-2010, 03:29 PM
I hope the Club advises Justin to refrain from the verballing of his thoughts to the press about his time at the Lions and that he keeps it all indoors. Sounding a bit too much like Aker at his presser.

:eek:

"I could no longer live that rollercoaster lifestyle"

"I wanted to make sure that going ahead that I could continue to be a great footy player and to be that I need to be in the right culture and get continuity of one position"

He said the Dogs' culture and flag prospects were factors he weighed up on a recent two-week trip to the US.

"This year the Lions were a bit up and down with our culture with a few things that happened, but at the end of the day I had to make sure I played instinctive footy when I had all of these mixed messages that were coming in," he said.

"To be a good player, you need to play in the one position and play it really well, and know your role each week, and I think here I'm going to be provided with that"

"I know I'm determined and one thing I can say is I've had inconsistency back there, but that won't happen here because I've got better players around me. The team is too good for that sort of thing to happen with the way the coaches structure the team and the way they want it to play."

"Here I'm going to be provided with that"

"Last year (2010 season) was a bit up and down with our culture, with a few things that happened."

LostDoggy
13-10-2010, 04:01 PM
Link to Jusin's press conference today on the AFL site.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/contentid/305039/sherman+enters+the+kennel/default.aspx

Remi Moses
13-10-2010, 04:03 PM
Just confirming what the whole Football world knew .
Brisbane not a happy content place

LostDoggy
13-10-2010, 04:28 PM
It's in the past and he should be looking forward. I hope this is the first and last we hear of Justin talking about Brisbane. No need for pot shots.

Sedat
13-10-2010, 04:58 PM
I hope the Club advises Justin to refrain from the verballing of his thoughts to the press about his time at the Lions and that he keeps it all indoors. Sounding a bit too much like Aker at his presser.
Actually it reminded me of McMahon's first presser at Richmond, which is even more of a concern. Probably the first and last thing he should have to say in public about the Lions.

I don't mind the fact that he's on reasonable terms with himself - we need more confident types within the playing group. So long as he works his backside off and contributes on the field, this confident streak can only be a positive.

LostDoggy
13-10-2010, 04:59 PM
Delist him.

OLD SCRAGGer
13-10-2010, 05:01 PM
If anyone interested, Justin Sherman to be on "Run Home" on SEN today

Mofra
13-10-2010, 05:07 PM
Haven't read the full version of the interview, just the quoted bits. Obviously the most controversial parts would end up in an atricle.

Remi Moses
13-10-2010, 05:21 PM
Little bit different to Jordan,in that He potted the club in regards to a personal issue.
Sherman has just reiterated something that is plainly obvious for all to see,it will be the last thing he'd say on them .
Unlike some :rolleyes:

The Pie Man
13-10-2010, 05:23 PM
I just posted my thoughtson the Dogs Day bit (didn't realise it was being discussed here already, sorry)

Was it really that bad? Wasn't like he said anything that wasn't out in the media already, or named names like that previous tool did with Leppitsch for example.

Completely agree that the focus should be on us moving forward.

I seem to remember Collingwood had a similar issue with Woewodin constantly banging on about how he was let go from Melbourne...at least initially he played decent for them, before the game inevitably caught up with him

Doc26
13-10-2010, 05:24 PM
Haven't read the full version of the interview, just the quoted bits. Obviously the most controversial parts would end up in an atricle.

Actually it does 'read' worse than it sounds when viewing the interview although having overdosed on Akermanis this season I would prefer that Justin plays down his crap experience at the Lions and limits it to internal motivation to move up into a higher gear.

LostDoggy
13-10-2010, 05:25 PM
His interview was far removed from the usual Bulldogs spiel. And it doesn't look like Brisbane have given him any media training whatsoever. I do like how he called every interviewer "mate", and that he "can continue to be a great player."

KT31
13-10-2010, 07:27 PM
It's in the past and he should be looking forward. I hope this is the first and last we hear of Justin talking about Brisbane. No need for pot shots.

Hope he has had his say and and now its done with, we don't need to give the Lions any ammunition for the future.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-10-2010, 09:18 PM
Love his confidence and sense of belonging.

We need more of it.

AndrewP6
13-10-2010, 09:20 PM
Maaaaaaaaaate!

1eyedog
13-10-2010, 09:47 PM
I think I can feel some man love coming on.

Desipura
14-10-2010, 10:26 AM
He has the earrings the strut and the belief. Now all he needs is to put it all together on the ground!

Nuggety Back Pocket
14-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Actually it does 'read' worse than it sounds when viewing the interview although having overdosed on Akermanis this season I would prefer that Justin plays down his crap experience at the Lions and limits it to internal motivation to move up into a higher gear.

I agree with Doc26 as they were very ill considered comments and perhaps may explain why his form has been so up and down. By comparison Jared Brennan departure was far more favourable in terms of a professional approach, friendly and without malice unlike Sherman who displayed an unhealthy attitude.

Greystache
14-10-2010, 01:55 PM
An update from Sherman on the club website, sounds like he's been pulled up by the club-

Western Bulldogs recruit Justin Sherman said today he was disappointed with his comments at yesterday’s press conference.

Sherman spoke about his time at the Lions and has since been criticised for taking a parting shot at his former club.

By no means does Sherman believe his comments were taken out of context or that he was misquoted, but he does regret the impression they have given.

“I can understand how people have taken that view after what I said yesterday. I want to make it clear though that this is by no means a reflection of how I feel about my time at the Brisbane Lions. I will always be grateful to the Lions for giving me the opportunity to play AFL football and I left the club with many fond memories. I was really keen to express my excitement about joining the Bulldogs yesterday and that probably lead me to saying certain things that are not a true reflection of my thoughts. I apologise if I have caused any offence to anyone at my former club and want to make it clear that the last thing I wanted to do was criticise an organisation that has given me so much.

“It was wrong of me to use the term ‘culture’ because that is not what I meant to refer to. I was trying to say that certain off field distractions had been tough to deal with but these issues were not representative of the Lions as a whole. I have the highest respect for Michael Voss and everything he has achieved. I am only young and clearly still have a lot to learn both on and off the field, I just hope that this clears up the issue. I am very excited to start the pre season with the Bulldogs and I hope people will see that the impression I gave is not a true reflection of what I am about,” Sherman said

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2010/news/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/104128/default.aspx

chef
14-10-2010, 01:59 PM
Nice move Shermanator.

1eyedog
14-10-2010, 02:12 PM
Sounds like the words of Fantasia to me.

Doc26
14-10-2010, 02:18 PM
Sounds like the words of Fantasia to me.

Who is responsible for media relations down at the Club ? Being a formal Club press conference wouldn't or shouldn't the Club have briefed Justin first on where to focus his comments or to have had someone alongside him to keep it balanced ? I'm not at all saying we have a systematic breakdown but it does appear another example of unprofessional handling of how we plan and execute our engagement with the media.

Greystache
14-10-2010, 02:21 PM
Who is responsible for media relations down at the Club ? Being a formal Club press conference wouldn't or shouldn't the Club have briefed Justin first on where to focus his comments or to have had someone alongside him ? I'm not at all saying we have a systematic breakdown but it does appear another example of unprofessional handling of how we plan and execute our engagement with the media.

I'd say we did, but being a young guy, and probably a mixture of nervous and excited he probably got carried away and deviated from the agreed approach. It sounds like from this latest release, he's saying "yes I said that, but I didn't mean to say it"

Doc26
14-10-2010, 03:00 PM
I'd say we did, but being a young guy, and probably a mixture of nervous and excited he probably got carried away and deviated from the agreed approach. It sounds like from this latest release, he's saying "yes I said that, but I didn't mean to say it"

It's not a criticism of Justin but can't help but feel the Club has been somewhat negligent in not foreseeing such a situation with a young and enthusiastic recruit who no doubt needs some media training. In isolation this case will mean little but without there being appropriate attention with the necessary checks and balances in the way we present to the media it can give the appearance of being an unprofessional outfit.

Greystache
14-10-2010, 03:06 PM
It's not a criticism of Justin but can't help but feel the Club has been somewhat negligent in not foreseeing such a situation with a young and enthusiastic recruit who no doubt needs some media training.

I don't see how the club has been negligent. I'm sure we did forsee the situation, and no doubt briefed him about not saying anything negative about Brisbane, but in heat of the situation he probably diverted from the script. What were our options? Cut the press conference off mid sentence? He's been a player at the club for a week, I'm sure we'll give him media training, but outside of refusing to let him give a press conference upon joining the club, our only option was to brief him on what to say and what no to say, and hope he didn't deviate from it. Unfortunately he did.

Bulldog4life
14-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Not a big deal. Ryan Griffen stuffed up an interview and learnt from it and moved on. I'm sure Justin will too.

LostDoggy
14-10-2010, 03:19 PM
He has the earrings the strut and the belief. Now all he needs is to put it all together on the ground!

And then get rid of the earrings and the strut.

As for the press conference; it can't have made Brisbane feel warm on the inside, but a relatively minor gaff in October will be forgotten soon enough.

I think the club should have resisted the temptation to issue a 'clarification'. Why bring more attention to the comments and make a young man look foolish at the same time?

Greystache
14-10-2010, 03:23 PM
And then get rid of the earrings and the strut.

Do we really need another fly under the radar nice guy?

Bulldog4life
14-10-2010, 03:26 PM

You're right we dont. A bit of flair is what we definitely need. If an earing is good enough for Bazza it's good enough for the whole team.:D

The Pie Man
14-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Reading the update on the Hun and the subsequent comments from punters, you get a renewed sense of how we're viewed none too positively in the footy world.

I am going to become the most arrogant/antagonistic person to other clubs supporters once we win the flag, I'm so completely over the way we're spoken about by d_ckheads in this city.

Greystache
14-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Reading the update on the Hun and the subsequent comments from punters, you get a renewed sense of how we're viewed none too positively in the footy world.

I am going to become the most arrogant/antagonistic person to other clubs supporters once we win the flag, I'm so completely over the way we're spoken about by d_ckheads in this city.

I don't know that those commments reflect how we're viewed in the footy world, to me it just confirms that morons have the loudest opinions.

The Pie Man
14-10-2010, 05:26 PM
I don't know that those commments reflect how we're viewed in the footy world, to me it just confirms that morons have the loudest opinions.

Fair point Greystache - I think I was in a defensive mood reading it actually, and the comments on the site only inflamed it.

I do think the issues throughout the year with the other former Brisbane moron have turned some agianst us (e.g people at my work who had no issue with us all of sudden were in my ear every day about how we'd treated him etc) but who cares I guess.

LostDoggy
14-10-2010, 05:32 PM
I think the club should have resisted the temptation to issue a 'clarification'. Why bring more attention to the comments and make a young man look foolish at the same time?

Agree. We seem a little sensitive when it comes to the media at the moment.
Sometimes by being so keen to do the right thing we over react and fuel the fire instead
of putting it out.
A quick phonecall to brisbane behind closed doors would have probably been enough.

LostDoggy
14-10-2010, 06:51 PM

Radars never fail to pick up great footballers.

Earrings and struts, on the other hand, show up on knobmeters long before they show up on radars!

Remi Moses
14-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Not a big deal. Ryan Griffen stuffed up an interview and learnt from it and moved on. I'm sure Justin will too.

Spot on ! Why are we talking about a young bloke wearing an earring ?
Who Cares!!
BtW he's spot on they are a rabble,and who gives a shit what dimwits on Big Footy and Comments on the H/S website!

Remi Moses
14-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Fair point Greystache - I think I was in a defensive mood reading it actually, and the comments on the site only inflamed it.

I do think the issues throughout the year with the other former Brisbane moron have turned some agianst us (e.g people at my work who had no issue with us all of sudden were in my ear every day about how we'd treated him etc) but who cares I guess.

Gee Mate you must work with some who have no idea.The Bloke's a moron who still plays the victim!

The Pie Man
14-10-2010, 06:58 PM
Gee Mate you must work with some who have no idea.The Bloke's a moron who still plays the victim!

Ahh yeah that's fair comment for most of them ;)

It thankfully died down

Anyway, Sherman looked good in the Dogs top, I'm looking forward to his contribution

Scraggers
14-10-2010, 07:21 PM
Who is responsible for media relations down at the Club ? Being a formal Club press conference wouldn't or shouldn't the Club have briefed Justin first on where to focus his comments or to have had someone alongside him to keep it balanced ? I'm not at all saying we have a systematic breakdown but it does appear another example of unprofessional handling of how we plan and execute our engagement with the media.

David McNamara I think is the person you are referring to ... and a harder-working person I have never met.

AndrewP6
14-10-2010, 09:49 PM
Said it before, I'll say it again - "Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate!"

Ghost Dog
15-10-2010, 07:26 PM
Dunno. I'm much more excited about Wallis and Libba.
Nice Avatar AndyP6!!

I'm teaching in China at a University here. Got a nice poster of Barry Hall in class. Little bit
of cultural training for em!

Dancin' Douggy
15-10-2010, 07:59 PM
It's not a criticism of Justin but can't help but feel the Club has been somewhat negligent in not foreseeing such a situation with a young and enthusiastic recruit who no doubt needs some media training. In isolation this case will mean little but without there being appropriate attention with the necessary checks and balances in the way we present to the media it can give the appearance of being an unprofessional outfit.

Jeez, You can't have total lockdown and blanket control over everything any player says.

That's a bit Kim Jong Il for me.

It's a bit staggering to blame the club for this one!

It's a tiny, tiny issue. He let off some steam, the club said "hey back up there young feller"

And he did.

anfo27
15-10-2010, 08:28 PM
I have to agree with the Doc on this one. He needed to be briefed by someone on what he should and shouldn't of said. It's about toeing the company line and we can't have someone give another club a major public slap. Its not whether its a minor issue or not, the point is it never should have been said in the first place.

Dancin' Douggy
15-10-2010, 08:34 PM
Yes, but to predict it happening?
With an experienced senior player with no real track record of mouthing off?
What were they meant to do?
I just thing it's a bit hard to never, ever expect any tiny glitch like this, and then when something as insignificant as this happens, start pointing fingers and looking for a scapegoat within the club.

COME ON!

Bulldog4life
15-10-2010, 08:51 PM
I just thing it's a bit hard to never, ever expect any tiny glitch like this, and then when something as insignificant as this happens, start pointing fingers and looking for a scapegoat within the club.

COME ON!
That sums it up nicely.

Doc26
15-10-2010, 09:16 PM

COME ON!

Obviously I disagree with your perspective.

Of what benefit is it to our goals to hear our new recruit taking a parting shot at one of our competitors ? How does it serve our purpose ?

In the business world 'media relations' are charged with anticipating questions and having on hand planned responses for any and all media engagements. From what I saw and heard the other day I would not have put Justin alone in that position. With that said maybe Justin was briefed prior on where and where not to tread and through inexperience and exuberance stepped outside the line, understandably. In the end the Club did feel obliged to have Justin retract the odd comment and send some more glowing endorsements Voss's way.

Does it create a sanitised / boring experience for the public, absolutely, but it is all about minimising unnecessary focus and distraction. In this case, largely insignificant as we're out of season and the focus on winning next week's game is not an issue but consistent professional behaviour whether in or out of season is important.

Yes a small glitch in the scheme of things but still a learning that I would expect those responsible including Justin take on board for next time.

Greystache
15-10-2010, 09:28 PM
I have to agree with the Doc on this one. He needed to be briefed by someone on what he should and shouldn't of said. It's about toeing the company line and we can't have someone give another club a major public slap. Its not whether its a minor issue or not, the point is it never should have been said in the first place.

Do you know for a fact "someone" didn't brief him and he just slipped up while nervous?

Dancin' Douggy
15-10-2010, 09:30 PM
OK. Read this.
Our new recruit should not have made parting shots at his old club.
I agree with you 100%.

But this is not what this discussion is about.
It's about whether someone within the club should shoulder the responsibility for it.

How many possible scenarios is any one meant to manage?

SHERMAN MADE A MISTAKE! IT WASN"T GOOD. I UNDERSTAND THAT.

But to start blaming people within the club I think is just pointless.

Sherman screwed up, the club jumped on him.
End of story.

BulldogBelle
10-12-2010, 05:59 AM
I was a bit troubling for me regarding Anker's description that "Justin Sherman has the IQ of a Plant". I wonder what he meant by that. What is the story behind that comment.

So I looked up what the Brisbane supporters were saying about him

Paraphrasing:
Brisbane supporters claim that he refuses to put his head over the ball, repeatedly handballs to the feet of teammates in a worse position than him and has shakey disposal. His form is patchy and the ultimate front runner. The Bulldogs wont get the best out of him. Eade will scream at him until he cries or he drives himself insane. He is Alker reborn but without footballing ability. We will notice his bad games more than his good ones. He is infuriating, no Brisbane fans are sad to see him go and we are delusional to think that he is suddenly going to come good.

Sherman's best year at Brisbane was as a 19yo in 2006 when he was runner up in their B&F while being given license to play as an unaccountable half-back. As soon as Lethal tried to develop him into a more complete, accountable player, he went backwards at a rate of knots.
End paraphrasing.

I wonder how much of the above is true and if it is true then how are we to fix it.

Dumb players get coaches sacked, so they say. Sherman looks like a tough guy. Hope he is a tough guy.

Can anybody shed any light on the above?

chef
10-12-2010, 07:43 AM
I was a bit troubling for me regarding Anker's description that "Justin Sherman has the IQ of a Plant". I wonder what he meant by that. What is the story behind that comment.

Paraphrasing:
Brisbane supporters claim that he refuses to put his head over the ball, repeatedly handballs to the feet of teammates in a worse position than him and has shakey disposal. His form is patchy and the ultimate front runner. The Bulldogs wont get the best out of him. Eade will scream at him until he cries or he drives himself insane. He is Alker reborn but without footballing ability. We will notice his bad games more than his good ones. He is infuriating, no Brisbane fans are sad to see him go and we are delusional to think that he is suddenly going to come good.

Sherman's best year at Brisbane was as a 19yo in 2006 when he was runner up in their B&F while being given license to play as an unaccountable half-back. As soon as Lethal tried to develop him into a more complete, accountable player, he went backwards at a rate of knots.
End paraphrasing.

I wonder how much of the above is true and if it is true then how are we to fix it.

Dumb players get coaches sacked, so they say. Sherman looks like a tough guy. Hope he is a tough guy.

I can also remember the final last year against the Lions(my daughters are Brissie supporters), where he was close to BOG in that game. If he can get some consistency in is he game he will be a gun.

comrade
10-12-2010, 09:09 AM

Paraphrasing:

End paraphrasing.

Opposition supporters slagging off a player who willingly leaves their Club? Stop the press!

Similar things were said about Farren Ray and he's now played in 3 Grand Finals in 2 years.

Sydney were prepared to give up an earlier pick than us to secure Sherman and they're fairly astute judges.

EasternWest
10-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Opposition supporters slagging off a player who willingly leaves their Club? Stop the press!

Similar things were said about Farren Ray and he's now played in 3 Grand Finals in 2 years.

Sydney were prepared to give up an earlier pick than us to secure Sherman and they're fairly astute judges.

That doesn't make him any good. He's essentially the same player that left the Dogs. The only difference being is at our club he was encouraged to run and carry. At their club he's under clear instructions to kick as an absolute last resort.

I'm not a Farren Ray hater, he's a good athlete and seems like a good kid. But I don't think he's a very good footballer.

Sherman I can see being a very good player, but he does have areas that need improvement.

comrade
10-12-2010, 11:27 AM
That doesn't make him any good. He's essentially the same player that left the Dogs. The only difference being is at our club he was encouraged to run and carry. At their club he's under clear instructions to kick as an absolute last resort.

I'm not a Farren Ray hater, he's a good athlete and seems like a good kid. But I don't think he's a very good footballer.

Sherman I can see being a very good player, but he does have areas that need improvement.

I'm no Farren fan and take much glee out of seeing him stop, prop and handball backwards at every opportunity but I hope we can find a role that suits Sherman as well as Ray at the Saints.

Remi Moses
10-12-2010, 03:44 PM

That last paragraph nails it!
Blimey who'd think supporters of a club would slag a former player
Personally I see an inconsistent performer we need to get the best out of

stefoid
13-12-2010, 12:10 PM

Paraphrasing:

End paraphrasing.

Sounds a bit like Eagleton.

However, we have more than enough inside, medium-paced, put your head over it, dish out a handball types - Boyd, Cross, Ward, Wally, Libba, Reid. What we missed was the lightning fast spread from the contest to open up the stoppages and get the ball in space. Sherman was recruited to help solve that.

If he was anything like a complete midfielder, or even just a genuinely quick midfielder with great disposal, we wouldnt have got him for pick 25.

LostDoggy
04-04-2011, 08:55 PM
Showed some good signs on the weekend, looking forward to the future.

1eyedog
05-04-2011, 02:06 PM
Showed some good signs on the weekend, looking forward to the future.

I thought he looked good too. If he contributes with 25 odd disposals each week, doesn't butcher the ball and can kick a goal or two here and there he will prove very valuable. His addedd pace is a real bonus, he looked a tad quicker than everyone else out there on Sunday.

LostDoggy
05-04-2011, 04:28 PM
I thought he looked good too. If he contributes with 25 odd disposals each week, doesn't butcher the ball and can kick a goal or two here and there he will prove very valuable. His addedd pace is a real bonus, he looked a tad quicker than everyone else out there on Sunday.

He is strong as well, i was surprised when he was able to stand up & not fall over after a bump or tackle.

LostDoggy
05-04-2011, 05:01 PM
I'm definitely a fan of the Shermanator!

the banker
05-04-2011, 07:05 PM
Really looked good in the midfield mix.

KT31
09-04-2011, 01:49 PM
Really looked good in the midfield mix.

Loved his attack on the ball and his run threw attitude.

SonofScray
09-04-2011, 06:44 PM
Sherman started off very well I thought, some good dash and disposal. Generally putting together a game we want from him, unfortunately I thought he faded in the 2nd half, not sure what his stats were but I didn't notice him so much. I like that he really plays with some purpose when the ball is in his hands, not too much indecision with the ball and will have a shot if the opportunity is there.

ratsmac
13-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Slotting in quite nicely, I sure we'll see some BOG performances in the near future if he keeps up this form. With Cooney and Griffen in the team the opposition teams will never tag the Shermanator. Not sure his he was getting tagged at Brisbane last year for his form to drop, but he is in reasonable touch at the present.
Keep it up Shermanator.

Nuggety Back Pocket
13-04-2011, 12:11 PM

Paraphrasing:

End paraphrasing.

Let's wait until we see Sherman against quality opposition like Collingwood and Geelong.
Then we can get a better read as to whether he is capable of assisting in the shortfalls we experienced last year in particular having another reliable goal kicker. Brisbane Lions and Gold Coast Suns are hardly a guide as to whether Sherman has what it takes under pressure. I am sure that good sides would not let a Sherman depart if he had the goods.
Liberatore and Wallis may well turn out to be better investments.

ledge
13-04-2011, 12:13 PM
Let's wait until we see Sherman against quality opposition like Collingwood and Geelong.
Then we can get a better read as to whether he is capable of assisting in the shortfalls we experienced last year in particular having another reliable goal kicker. Brisbane Lions and Gold Coast Suns are hardly a guide as to whether Sherman has what it takes under pressure. I am sure that good sides would not let a Sherman depart if he had the goods.

I think he was going anyway, didnt want to be there.

1eyedog
15-04-2011, 12:05 PM
Let's wait until we see Sherman against quality opposition like Collingwood and Geelong.Then we can get a better read as to whether he is capable of assisting in the shortfalls we experienced last year in particular having another reliable goal kicker. Brisbane Lions and Gold Coast Suns are hardly a guide as to whether Sherman has what it takes under pressure. I am sure that good sides would not let a Sherman depart if he had the goods.

Why? The only player who has performed against these teams recently is Griffen. The whole team needs to lift here.