PDA

View Full Version : Bulldoze The Debt

LostDoggy
10-10-2010, 11:26 PM
Sounds like a pretty good plan to me! Really surprised we didn't do something like this earlier especially after seeing how succcesful Melbourne's debt reduction campaign has been. I for one will be adding on some extra dollars to my monthly payment. How do you think it will go?

EasternWest
10-10-2010, 11:38 PM
I'm not sure if it will work to be honest. We're traditionally a less well off supporter base, and I'm not sure we'll be able to pony up the money.

But my biggest concern is this: what if we only manage to raise say three million? That'd leave us two million still in the hole, and it would only be a few years before the interest on that two million would swallow all the funds we'd managed to raise.

That would make the plan a spectacular failure. And with the taste of that still hanging around, how could the club come back to us, the members and supporters, and ask for more again?

I like the idea, I hope it works but I'm wary of the ramifications if it doesn't.

Remi Moses
10-10-2010, 11:41 PM
The debt has been a Severe hinderance forever I for one will be donating,can understand how some people can't.Just hope the club has some plans drawn up and just isn't going to sling all it's members

Bulldog Joe
11-10-2010, 10:10 AM
I'm not sure if it will work to be honest. We're traditionally a less well off supporter base, and I'm not sure we'll be able to pony up the money.

But my biggest concern is this: what if we only manage to raise say three million? That'd leave us two million still in the hole, and it would only be a few years before the interest on that two million would swallow all the funds we'd managed to raise.
That would make the plan a spectacular failure. And with the taste of that still hanging around, how could the club come back to us, the members and supporters, and ask for more again?

I like the idea, I hope it works but I'm wary of the ramifications if it doesn't.

Not sure how meeting the interest on a reduced amount could create difficulty as opposed to trying to meet the interest on the entire current principal amount.

EasternWest
11-10-2010, 11:39 AM
No that's a fair point but the interest on two million is still a lot and if we can't find the means to service that fairly quickly, the total will compound fairly quickly.

The Coon Dog
11-10-2010, 11:41 AM
http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/images_bulldogs/bulldozer246a.JPG

Topdog
11-10-2010, 12:02 PM
No that's a fair point but the interest on two million is still a lot and if we can't find the means to service that fairly quickly, the total will compound fairly quickly.

At the moment we are paying ~$450k a year on the interest.

If we reduce the debt by $3m we will be paying ~$180k a year. So we could leave the debt untouched for another ~8 years before it will be back to $5m debt. Not sure why you think that we won't touch the debt after raising funds via this scheme though.

bornadog
11-10-2010, 12:15 PM

If we reduce the debt by $3m we will be paying ~$180k a year. So we could leave the debt untouched for another ~8 years before it will be back to $5m debt. Not sure why you think that we won't touch the debt after raising funds via this scheme though.

Can we all put in $50 and present a WOOF Debt reduction.

We need a seperate thread with a sticky and a pledege from all. WE could easily raise a few thousand.

EasternWest
11-10-2010, 12:36 PM

I'm not saying that I don't think we will. I'm saying it concerns me that we may still have an amount outstanding that will be accumulating interest (this is of course working on the assumption that we wont reach the five million, which of course I hope we do).

If you're referring to the reasons as to why I think we might struggle to reach the full debt amount, I think that is fairly self evident. Low member base, traditionally socio-economically low area. The fact that we even have the debt reflects these things.

I'd love for my concerns to be proven misplaced, but it will be a bitter pill to swallow if we hand over what we can afford now and in ~8 years the club comes back to us again for more.

Topdog
11-10-2010, 12:40 PM
I'm not saying that I don't think we will. I'm saying it concerns me that we may still have an amount outstanding that will be accumulating interest (this is of course working on the assumption that we wont reach the five million, which of course I hope we do).

If you're referring to the reasons as to why I think we might struggle to reach the full debt amount, I think that is fairly self evident. Low member base, traditionally socio-economically low area. The fact that we even have the debt reflects these things.

I'd love for my concerns to be proven misplaced, but it will be a bitter pill to swallow if we hand over what we can afford now and in ~8 years the club comes back to us again for more.

I doubt we will reach it but can't see how any gains could be seen as a negative.

Many clubs have debt and we have had this debt for a long, long time now. With our balance sheets each year heading in the right direction I am confident that the club will be rid of this debt in 2 years.

The club could only come back to us if they are managed poorly. If that happens I doubt we will still have a football club in ~8 years.

EasternWest
11-10-2010, 03:17 PM
I doubt we will reach it but can't see how any gains could be seen as a negative.

Many clubs have debt and we have had this debt for a long, long time now. With our balance sheets each year heading in the right direction I am confident that the club will be rid of this debt in 2 years.

The club could only come back to us if they are managed poorly. If that happens I doubt we will still have a football club in ~8 years.

1. Not sure where I said it was a negative?

2. The club could come back to us at anytime, regardless of management. If we don't completely pay off the debt with this push, then we still have an amount that a) needs servicing from somewhere and b) accumulates interest. That's my concern.

Topdog
11-10-2010, 05:01 PM
1. Not sure where I said it was a negative?

2. The club could come back to us at anytime, regardless of management. If we don't completely pay off the debt with this push, then we still have an amount that a) needs servicing from somewhere and b) accumulates interest. That's my concern.

Well you are wary of ramifications which sounds negative because as I mentioned above there really can't be any.

If they do come back to us than it will be due to poor management. If $3m gets wiped off the debt than they will have failed as an organisation to not be able to manage that debt.

EasternWest
11-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Well you are wary of ramifications which sounds negative because as I mentioned above there really can't be any.

If they do come back to us than it will be due to poor management. If $3m gets wiped off the debt than they will have failed as an organisation to not be able to manage that debt.

There's a big difference between being wary about something and being negative towards it. It appears as if you've confused the two, or think I've confused the two (I haven't).

Look, it seems I need to be more direct on this for you: it's a great idea and I'm all for it. I will happily hand over what I can to contribute. I'm concerned about the ramifications of us coming up short and not entirely clearing the debt, paying more interest and getting in strife again.

That's it. End.

Topdog
11-10-2010, 06:54 PM
There's a big difference between being wary about something and being negative towards it. It appears as if you've confused the two, or think I've confused the two (I haven't).

Look, it seems I need to be more direct on this for you: it's a great idea and I'm all for it. I will happily hand over what I can to contribute. I'm concerned about the ramifications of us coming up short and not entirely clearing the debt, paying more interest and getting in strife again.

That's it. End.

OK quite simply there aren't any ramifications. If we come up short we are still X million better off than we were and continue on as normal.

EasternWest
11-10-2010, 07:08 PM
OK quite simply there aren't any ramifications. If we come up short we are still X million better off than we were and continue on as normal.

Disagree. But respect your opinion.

hujsh
11-10-2010, 08:22 PM

That's it. End.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but are you suggesting the interest repayments would put us back in (more) debt?

LostDoggy
11-10-2010, 09:57 PM
Has anyone ever wished they didn't start a thread?!!!

Can't predict the future so you have to do what you can right now. If we wipe off 3 million it will be better than sitting on our hands. I can also see the other side of the coin regarding the debt creeping back up however if you worry about all the what ifs nothing gets done. The interest on 2 million would be a lot easier to manage than 5 million.

Great idea to start a Woof pledge!

EasternWest
11-10-2010, 10:50 PM
Maybe I'm reading it wrong but are you suggesting the interest repayments would put us back in (more) debt?

I'm suggesting that it's a possibility. It's something that would have to be considered (there are a lot of factors that require consideration of course), but giving the compounding nature of interest, if we don't look to knock off any residual principal quickly, then it could rack up again pretty quick.

Has anyone ever wished they didn't start a thread?!!!

Can't predict the future so you have to do what you can right now. If we wipe off 3 million it will be better than sitting on our hands. I can also see the other side of the coin regarding the debt creeping back up however if you worry about all the what ifs nothing gets done. The interest on 2 million would be a lot easier to manage than 5 million.

Great idea to start a Woof pledge!

Not sure why you'd think that. This is a forum, you asked people's thoughts. You got them. People don't always agree, and people often come at things from different angles, as it's clear that Topdog and I have. No problem with that, I respect his opinion and would hope that he does mine, regardless of our differences of it.

It's a current topic of our club, worth discussing and a worthy thread. They're not all going to be roses and kisses.

I agree with everything you said after the part I've bolded.

Doc26
12-10-2010, 09:38 PM

DFA, maybe I'm missing something but I'm not quite sure what your alternative to this is ? Are you just wary but endorse the campaign ? Are you suggesting we should all just give up our Club because you see the likelihood of dissolving greater than the opportunity (or ROI) of continuing the struggle ? Or to leave it up to the likes of Cam and his Team to 'hopefully' just find a way ?

Hopefully we will have new funding streams to service the debt and chip further into any remaining principal. Maybe the AFL will further recognise the struggle and raft of inequities posed on Clubs like ours and look to increase the equalisation distribution as increased funds come into the game through media rights and new licenses. Or worst case maybe another Victorian based Club e.g North might fold before we do reducing our competition and subsequently increasing our competitive position.

All I'm saying is that it is an ever changing landscape and surely it's better to continue the fight for something you love, that is, stay in the game together, than to give up because the problems might appear insurmountable.

LostDoggy
12-10-2010, 09:44 PM
I'm suggesting that it's a possibility. It's something that would have to be considered (there are a lot of factors that require consideration of course), but giving the compounding nature of interest, if we don't look to knock off any residual principal quickly, then it could rack up again pretty quick.

Not sure why you'd think that. This is a forum, you asked people's thoughts. You got them. People don't always agree, and people often come at things from different angles, as it's clear that Topdog and I have. No problem with that, I respect his opinion and would hope that he does mine, regardless of our differences of it.

It's a current topic of our club, worth discussing and a worthy thread. They're not all going to be roses and kisses.

I agree with everything you said after the part I've bolded.

All good Mate, I was just joking when I said I wish I hadn't started the thread! I'm definitely always up for healthy debate.

Cheers
Hobdog

LostDoggy
12-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Can we all put in $50 and present a WOOF Debt reduction.

We need a seperate thread with a sticky and a pledege from all. WE could easily raise a few thousand.

I'd some extra shifts to put towards this.

LostDoggy
12-10-2010, 09:51 PM
I'd some extra shifts to put towards this.

I've virtually given up the booze so I have more disposable income to put towards it!

LostDoggy
13-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Lol @ the start of this thread.

Maybe it's an interest only debt. Any money raised will be put on the principle, thus reducing overall interest payments.

The effort can't possibly be a bad thing. Any bad debt reduction is good financial management.

Does anyone have any idea whether this has much to do with Matheson pissing our pokies licences off? Tipping it does.

WD to Rose & co anyway. Got to make the hard decisions and start somewhere.

I'll be giving a couple of dollars :)

Scraggers
14-10-2010, 01:33 PM
This year we had 35,000 (ish) members ... next year if every member paid $10 that would be $350,000 ... if we did this every month of the year next year it would be $4,200,000.

Now, if we can get non-members to contribute this amount as well, we would be well and truly in the black to start 2012.

This is without corporate support ... without selling our soul ... and without having to dig too deep.

Isn't this the best option??

$10 a month would not be easy for me, but i would be willing to go without to ensure that my club has a viable future ... How about you?

Greystache
14-10-2010, 01:45 PM
This year we had 35,000 (ish) members ... next year if every member paid $10 that would be $350,000 ... if we did this every month of the year next year it would be $4,200,000.

Now, if we can get non-members to contribute this amount as well, we would be well and truly in the black to start 2012.

This is without corporate support ... without selling our soul ... and without having to dig too deep.

Isn't this the best option??

$10 a month would not be easy for me, but i would be willing to go without to ensure that my club has a viable future ... How about you?

Most on this board probably would be prepared to, but you have to realise we're your die hard supporters. A lot of the 35,000 members are only part-time followers, bought a memebership this year because we looked a chance to win the premiership, or in the case of a few I know, were given memberships for signing up for Vic Uni gym. The club struggles to get a lot of our supporters to put their hand in the pocket just for a basic 11 game membership, asking for more than that will fall on deaf ears by the majority IMO.

LostDoggy
14-10-2010, 02:58 PM
Most on this board probably would be prepared to, but you have to realise we're your die hard supporters. A lot of the 35,000 members are only part-time followers, bought a memebership this year because we looked a chance to win the premiership, or in the case of a few I know, were given memberships for signing up for Vic Uni gym. The club struggles to get a lot of our supporters to put their hand in the pocket just for a basic 11 game membership, asking for more than that will fall on deaf ears by the majority IMO.

You may be right, but I applaud the idea and will give as much as I can and still stay married!!

Scraggers
14-10-2010, 06:27 PM

I would disagree with this statement ... I think a lot of our members are dyed-in-the-wool Bulldog supporters, with the minority having gained theirs second-hand or as a door prize (for want of better words) ... yes our members are fickle and don't buy memberships every year, but you get this at every club.

If you only ask your hard core supporters to put their hands in their pockets, this venture is sure to fail ... we have to reach our fringe supporters and the best place to start is with our 35,000 members.

Greystache
14-10-2010, 06:31 PM
I would disagree with this statement ... I think a lot of our members are dyed-in-the-wool Bulldog supporters, with the minority having gained theirs second-hand or as a door prize (for want of better words) ... yes our members are fickle and don't buy memberships every year, but you get this at every club.

If you only ask your hard core supporters to put their hands in their pockets, this venture is sure to fail ... we have to reach our fringe supporters and the best place to start is with our 35,000 members.

They may well be dyed-in-the-wool, but the overiding view is they do enough by simply buying a membership. I'm not saying don't ask them, I just think you might be dissapointed by the number who won't contribute.

hujsh
14-10-2010, 06:39 PM

And those who were members whose details we have so we can call them and ask directly

Scraggers
14-10-2010, 07:09 PM
They may well be dyed-in-the-wool, but the overiding view is they do enough by simply buying a membership. I'm not saying don't ask them, I just think you might be dissapointed by the number who won't contribute.

Whilst I respect your view, I prefer to take the 'glass half full' approach.

Scraggers
14-10-2010, 07:10 PM
And those who were members whose details we have so we can call them and ask directly

Agreed

GVGjr
14-10-2010, 07:25 PM
I think the aim is to get 15,000 members contributing $120 per year which would wipe a significant amount off within a couple of years.

chef
14-10-2010, 09:10 PM
I think the aim is to get 15,000 members contributing $120 per year which would wipe a significant amount off within a couple of years.

I would be happy to do that.

LongWait
14-10-2010, 09:29 PM

Me too. And Mrs LongWait (even though she's a Norf supporter.)

hujsh
14-10-2010, 10:38 PM

I'll do it if i get a job.

EasternWest
16-10-2010, 08:49 PM
DFA, maybe I'm missing something but I'm not quite sure what your alternative to this is ? Are you just wary but endorse the campaign ? Are you suggesting we should all just give up our Club because you see the likelihood of dissolving greater than the opportunity (or ROI) of continuing the struggle ? Or to leave it up to the likes of Cam and his Team to 'hopefully' just find a way ?

Hopefully we will have new funding streams to service the debt and chip further into any remaining principal. Maybe the AFL will further recognise the struggle and raft of inequities posed on Clubs like ours and look to increase the equalisation distribution as increased funds come into the game through media rights and new licenses. Or worst case maybe another Victorian based Club e.g North might fold before we do reducing our competition and subsequently increasing our competitive position.

All I'm saying is that it is an ever changing landscape and surely it's better to continue the fight for something you love, that is, stay in the game together, than to give up because the problems might appear insurmountable.

That's exactly where I'm at.

It's a good idea, I like it. I just hope it raises enough for us to totally clear our debt. The club is quite cleverly calling it an "historical debt", which distances the current administration from those previous that led to the debt. But regardless of what it's called, it's still there, and it's still a lot of money.

I'm not suggesting an alternative Doc. I don't have one. I completely agree that it's better to try and be proactive than to sit there and cop it sweet. I just hope it works.

LostDoggy
16-10-2010, 11:21 PM
As the Bulldogs did not make the Grand Final this year or last year they saved supporters at least $300 because we didn't have to buy a ticket to the big finale. Hence each supporter should put in the required amount if possible and that should just about cover the debt!!!!

Topdog
16-10-2010, 11:54 PM
As the Bulldogs did not make the Grand Final this year or last year they saved supporters at least $300 because we didn't have to buy a ticket to the big finale. Hence each supporter should put in the required amount if possible and that should just about cover the debt!!!!

How about we just win the gf next year and use that money to get rid of debt.

MrMahatma
17-10-2010, 02:37 AM
It won't be a matter of one idea, or one initiative ridding us of the debt. It'll be a combination of fans/members freely giving outright, events where those who give (buy a ticket etc) get something in return, hopefully signing more first time members and being better at retaining the members we already have, and anything in between.

Winning the NAB cup didn't do our season any favours, but it gave (I think) $180k for the coffers. It'd be a good way to start the year again, especially if debt reduction is going to be an ongoing theme for 2011.

LostDoggy
17-10-2010, 09:23 AM

Count me in.

DOG GOD
17-10-2010, 10:18 AM
I put this on another thread but thought it was worthy here as well. If the club expects the members to put over their hard earned cash other than our memberships, then i think it is important that we get something back in return.

I suggested the following a while back and actually sent the club an email with my suggestion but never heard anything. I called it "A Day with the Dogs" which included the following...

Changeroom access before the game
Sit in on players address before game
Sit in coaches box for entire game
Allowed on ground with coaching staff for warmup and at qtr and 3 qtr time
Sit in on players address after match
Photo with Rocket and favourite player
Signed guernsey by faveourite player

All for $2500

1 person per 22 rounds this would generate $55,000 for the club.

Now i understand that $2500 is alot of money to pay out in general, but those that could afford something like this would get a once in a life time opportunity.

Whether the club would see this as feasible remains to be seen, but sometimes its the suggestions outside the box that can generate interest and supporters willing to hand over hard earned for something "Unique".

mighty_west
17-10-2010, 01:21 PM

I wonder how much it really costs to get one of these modern jumpers made up that eventually sells for over $100, i'm tipping they are cheap as chips to make up, what if the club runs off some special promotion with a signature of choice for $120, maybe framed for $200, signed by all players for $300 in a frame, or something like that, make a big deal over it, at least that way us passionate die hard supporters get something back, we all already tip in alot of money in year in year out, above & beyond what we really need to [not that we are complaining, it's just what we do], alot of us where there in '89 tipping the money in just to save the club etc etc, and all of these proceeds goto bulldozing the dept.

Perhaps the club gets into bed with a few local framers and really pushes & advertises their companies throughout the year in some way.

Imagine puting up a framed jumper with Wallis's & Liberatore's signatures on it in their first year at the club...;)

mighty_west
17-10-2010, 01:38 PM

I reckon alot of supporters would have been feeling the pinch after forking out alot of money to attend the 3 finals even before considering the money for a GF ticket, i know for myself i would have been diving into money that i didn't have [the banks money] and paying it back afterwards.

DOG GOD
17-10-2010, 01:43 PM
I wonder how much it really costs to get one of these modern jumpers made up that eventually sells for over $100, i'm tipping they are cheap as chips to make up, what if the club runs off some special promotion with a signature of choice for $120, maybe framed for $200, signed by all players for $300 in a frame, or something like that, make a big deal over it, at least that way us passionate die hard supporters get something back, we all already tip in alot of money in year in year out, above & beyond what we really need to [not that we are complaining, it's just what we do], alot of us where there in '89 tipping the money in just to save the club etc etc, and all of these proceeds goto bulldozing the dept.

Perhaps the club gets into bed with a few local framers and really pushes & advertises their companies throughout the year in some way.

Imagine puting up a framed jumper with Wallis's & Liberatore's signatures on it in their first year at the club...;)

I like the idea of the signed jumpers MW. I agree that the club has to give something back if they expect the supporters to fork out their hard earned. Forget the raffles etc and really go for something that supporters get something for their money. Id gladly pay $120 for a guernsey signed by Mr. Ward. They could go one better and make it personalised by having the player(s) write on the jumper......

To ?
Thanks for the support
Callan Ward

instead of just a signature. Personalised things always mean something more.

DOG GOD
17-10-2010, 01:57 PM
The club really needs to break out of the box in their quest to generate money towards this debt. The signed jumpers idea by MW is a great one, and personally i would like to see my "Day with the dogs" idea come to fruition as well. Its all about GIVING back to the supporters.

How about a bulldogs dinner with the "buyer" and 3 of their fave players
A dinner with Rocket, and 1-2 of the MC
A training day with the team
An interstate trip with the team

The opportunities are endless, but the club needs to open their minds and come up with ideas that can give something to the fans on a personal level. That is the key.

mighty_west
17-10-2010, 02:00 PM
I like the idea of the signed jumpers MW. I agree that the club has to give something back if they expect the supporters to fork out their hard earned. Forget the raffles etc and really go for something that supporters get something for their money. Id gladly pay $120 for a guernsey signed by Mr. Ward. They could go one better and make it personalised by having the player(s) write on the jumper......

To ?
Thanks for the support
Callan Ward

Right now, with the tight budget myself & Mrs MW have week in week out just on a daily weekly basis, i couldn't really afford to dig $120 out just for a cause as much as i'd want to on top of what i already put into the club, however if there was a signed of framed fully signed jumper as a sweetner, i'd make sure i would do the dishes & vaccuming for the next month to withdraw $300....

DOG GOD
17-10-2010, 02:15 PM
Just did some quick maths with some of the ideas posted above....

100 individually signed jumpers - $120 ea = $12,000
50 indivdually signed jumpers by Wallis and Libba framed $200 = $10,000
50 team signed jumpers framed $300 = $15,000
22 Day with the dogs experience $2500 = $55,000
6 Dinners with Rocket and 1-2 of MC $250 = $1,500
6 Dinners with 3 players of choice $250 = $1,500
4 interstate trip with team $1500 = $6,000
10 training days with the dogs $150 = $1,500

That would generate $102,500 for the year towards the debt without not much of a thought towards other ideas they could come up with, but giving around 250 / 35,000 supporters something very personal and memorable. The next step is to focus on the other members and how something can be done on a smaller level for those supporters.

comrade
17-10-2010, 02:15 PM
How about a bulldogs dinner with the "buyer" and 3 of their fave players
A training day with the team

I know they have definitely offered these types of activities as auction items at the last Rookie Fundraiser.

DOG GOD
17-10-2010, 02:26 PM
I know they have definitely offered these types of activities as auction items at the last Rookie Fundraiser.

Thats good to hear Comrade, so the possibility is there to do it on a yearly basis. As i said the ideas are endless if they are willing to look out of the box. Let the bulldogs really take things to the next level when it comes to supporting a club.

Nowadays bands have to rely on looking outside the box, as selling cds doesnt really cut it anymore for most. Bands now look at selling live cds of the concert you just witnessed after the show, meet and greets with the band, photo with the band, signed tour books, guitar picks etc. That what i did with KISS and it was an unforgetable experience. The club needs to become bigger than life and not only give die hard supporters something for their money, but to give the onus on people to become new members for these once in a lifetime opportunities offered by the club.

Bulldog4life
17-10-2010, 02:58 PM
I reckon alot of supporters would have been feeling the pinch after forking out alot of money to attend the 3 finals even before considering the money for a GF ticket, i know for myself i would have been diving into money that i didn't have [the banks money] and paying it back afterwards.

Yes it is tough for some. I know of a St.Kilda family who paid over $2,000 for the 2 Grand Finals....all borrowed on the credit card.....in the hope of seeing a 2nd premiership.

mighty_west
17-10-2010, 03:28 PM
Yes it is tough for some. I know of a St.Kilda family who paid over $2,000 for the 2 Grand Finals....all borrowed on the credit card.....in the hope of seeing a 2nd premiership.

Imagine the overall cost for those that attended 3 Grand Finals in 2 years as well as all of the other finals with no Premiership........:eek:

LostDoggy
17-10-2010, 03:31 PM
I like the idea of signed jumpers.....i reckon you should be able to order a jumper or jumpers....the club could make them $150..have the number of your favorite player on the back and get the player to sign it..... I no id probably get one or two of them for sure...where as i dont think id just give the club $300...
The club need to think of new ideas to raise some money....or take on a few ideas supporters have mentioned...maybe have a fun day at Whitten Oval..charge people $5-$10 to get in and all that money goes into the bank and gets rid of some of the debt....

comrade
17-10-2010, 04:16 PM
This might be premature but I'd consider buying a Father/Son memorabilia piece; something along the lines of a framed 24 jumper signed by both Mitch and Steve complimented by some photos of both of them playing. The same could be done for Tom and Tony Liberatore.

mighty_west
17-10-2010, 04:27 PM
I like the idea of signed jumpers.....i reckon you should be able to order a jumper or jumpers....the club could make them $150..have the number of your favorite player on the back and get the player to sign it..... I no id probably get one or two of them for sure...where as i dont think id just give the club $300...
The club need to think of new ideas to raise some money....or take on a few ideas supporters have mentioned...maybe have a fun day at Whitten Oval..charge people $5-$10 to get in and all that money goes into the bank and gets rid of some of the debt....

Well the family day is miles away, oodles of time to join it in with that day, $150, here's your jumper, and rather having 500 people line up for Barry Hall & 2 and a dog line up for Eddie Prato, have an organized even spread to get each and every players sig on your guernsey, or something like that.

LostDoggy
17-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Well the family day is miles away, oodles of time to join it in with that day, $150, here's your jumper, and rather having 500 people line up for Barry Hall & 2 and a dog line up for Eddie Prato, have an organized even spread to get each and every players sig on your guernsey, or something like that.

Family days get to busy nowadays(considering there were 100 or so a few yrs back, and having over 1000 now its awesome to see) thats why i thought you can ordering them in(go into the shop, over the phone, online) then they players dont have to rush and sign them all on the one day, and they should sign them to whoever buys them as well...

Pickenitup
17-10-2010, 04:46 PM
I know that Collingwood have a thing called the Inner Sanctum where for about 1500 you get tickets to the Season Launch signed jumper from your favorite player you go into the rooms before and after games and before the game you get an address from the match comittee.
I think this type of thing would be fantastic and i would def be doing this ,
Also like the ideas of Dog God too

w3design
17-10-2010, 05:00 PM
:)
Sounds like a pretty good plan to me! Really surprised we didn't do something like this earlier especially after seeing how succcesful Melbourne's debt reduction campaign has been. I for one will be adding on some extra dollars to my monthly payment. How do you think it will go?
I to will be adding money each month. the reason they waited was they wanted to give melb a chance to see if they could. The same way other clubs followed our ground redevlopment plans.

GVGjr
17-10-2010, 05:02 PM

To ?
Thanks for the support
Callan Ward

As part of the player sponsor package each year I get a nice framed photo of Callan with a personal message and you're right, the personalised message adds a bit more to it.

DOG GOD
17-10-2010, 05:03 PM
I think it just goes to show that we all have good ideas to throw around. The club need to really break out and OFFER something for our money. That is the main point. People dont mind forking out money (as long as they can afford it), if they can see something for that.

Pickenitup's post about C'wood's inner sanctum is interesting. Our club needs to take these ideas to the next level. If we became known for giving our supporters something more than just a membership, that could generate more supporters to join up. Hopefully someone from the club is reading all this.

DOG GOD
17-10-2010, 05:08 PM
As part of the player sponsor package each year I get a nice framed photo of Callan with a personal message and you're right, the personalised message adds a bit more to it.

Very cool to hear GVG. Yep, it just adds something more to it.

Greystache
17-10-2010, 05:14 PM
This might be premature but I'd consider buying a Father/Son memorabilia piece; something along the lines of a framed 24 jumper signed by both Mitch and Steve complimented by some photos of both of them playing. The same could be done for Tom and Tony Liberatore.

That's a good idea, they could even have 2 jumpers with 24 on the back. One in the 80's style signed by Steve/Tony and a current design singed by Mitch/Tom.

AndrewP6
17-10-2010, 05:34 PM
family days get to busy nowadays(considering there were 100 or so a few yrs back, and having over 1000 now its awesome to see) thats why i thought you can ordering them in(go into the shop, over the phone, online) then they players dont have to rush and sign them all on the one day, and they should sign them to whoever buys them as well...

10,000?

AndrewP6
17-10-2010, 05:38 PM
Don't mind the idea of the f/s memorabilia, just wouldn't want to put that pressure on the young kids...no one can be certain they'll make it.

I hope like everyone this Bulldoze the Debt campaign is successful, not sure how it will go asking people to fork out even more than they already do. I'll do what I can, but there is a limit ;)

Topdog
18-10-2010, 03:16 PM
I put this on another thread but thought it was worthy here as well. If the club expects the members to put over their hard earned cash other than our memberships, then i think it is important that we get something back in return.

Well considering we got sweet FA for the social club membership I think the club has a long long way to go.

Topdog
18-10-2010, 03:17 PM

Beat me to it. I think these would sell well esp. with the older generation.

Greystache
18-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Well considering we got sweet FA for the social club membership I think the club has a long long way to go.

Does anyone know what happened to the advertised free invite to a club function? Just seemed to fall off the radar once everyone signed up.

Mantis
18-10-2010, 03:51 PM

What do other clubs supporters get with their social club memberships that we don't?

Topdog
18-10-2010, 04:08 PM
What do other clubs supporters get with their social club memberships that we don't?

Dunno, not sure if other clubs are promised things like us though.

mighty_west
18-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Don't mind the idea of the f/s memorabilia, just wouldn't want to put that pressure on the young kids...no one can be certain they'll make it.

I hope like everyone this Bulldoze the Debt campaign is successful, not sure how it will go asking people to fork out even more than they already do. I'll do what I can, but there is a limit ;)

Would you up that limit if you knew there was a signed jumper in return?, considering the call was for the hardcore supporters to dig at least a hundred bucks, and unlike alot of other clubs we have always needed to dig deep, most of us had dug deep not even knowing if that hard earned was going to even help the club from going under, for all i know what i put in could have gone straight into the VFL's kitty.

I also think it could be a good marketing ploy, gets more jumpers out there, and be the envy of other clubs knowing that our members & supporters get something you beaut from digging deep again, great PA for the club, also a real appreciation from the club to those die hard supporters.

Greystache
18-10-2010, 04:41 PM
One area the club really lacks financially is in the big paying coterie space. We have the Westerners and the Top Dog's but in comparison to some of the other clubs (Essendon in particular) we get very little out of this lucrative space. The Bulldogs traditionally don't have a lot of high end supporters, but we probably have more than we realise. It was suggested in the other thread similar to this that we should survey our membership base and see who has the means to contribute more to the club. If a family's income tops $250-300K we should put them into a database that offers them "exclusive" additional membership packages.

A friend works in marketing at Essendon and they have Diamond Dons which have exclusive dinners with the coach and match committee who provide private insights to the current state of the list and club in general for about $1500 a year (Top Dogs is $1500 a year for 2 people), and they had Knights of the Round Table, which offered access to team meetings, pre-match addresses, post match reviews, and access to one chosen player to attend a business or personal function- All for the sum of a measley $10K a year!

We would most likely have to review the cost of packages but I think we could do more in this area.

LostDoggy
18-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Does anyone know what happened to the advertised free invite to a club function? Just seemed to fall off the radar once everyone signed up.
At one of the finals training we asked the same question, we were told they would be having something after the Annual Meeting at Etihad on Thursday 16th December. Looks like might be the case, as in today's paper an ad for the meeting at 5:30pm, why else woul it be so early and at Etihad.

LostDoggy
18-10-2010, 06:21 PM
One area the club really lacks financially is in the big paying coterie space. We have the Westerners and the Top Dog's but in comparison to some of the other clubs (Essendon in particular) we get very little out of this lucrative space. The Bulldogs traditionally don't have a lot of high end supporters, but we probably have more than we realise. It was suggested in the other thread similar to this that we should survey our membership base and see who has the means to contribute more to the club. If a family's income tops $250-300K we should put them into a database that offers them "exclusive" additional membership packages.

A friend works in marketing at Essendon and they have Diamond Dons which have exclusive dinners with the coach and match committee who provide private insights to the current state of the list and club in general for about $1500 a year (Top Dogs is $1500 a year for 2 people), and they had Knights of the Round Table, which offered access to team meetings, pre-match addresses, post match reviews, and access to one chosen player to attend a business or personal function- All for the sum of a measley $10K a year!

We would most likely have to review the cost of packages but I think we could do more in this area.

I've been thinking about some ideas over the last couple of days. One which may have some merit may go hand-in hand with some of the discussions people have been having about a new jumper selection.

How about the club design a new jumper in a similar fashion to what Geelong did last year with all players having played for the game printed in very small writing in the pattern for their 150 celebrations. Whilst I don't necessarily like copying what other clubs have been doing, this could allow a mix of past players names, regular members (selected at random and so that it does not become too elitist) and most importantly for a revenue perspective debt-demolition donators (say those contributing above $1-2,000) to have their names (albeit in small print) on the jumper that is played on the field.

Not sure how many people's name could be fit on (maybe a couple of thousand), but could provide a long-term legacy for the club if we can wipe off debt permanently. The jumper would be played in during a dedicated week of the season when demolition events are planned

Other clubs (like Hawthorn) have regular lunches in the city (at RACV club if I recall correctly) and draw big cash from these events. Past players like Dipper and Dermie get up and have a yarn and everyone, from all accounts, goes away very happy. Surely a good way to introduce a client or a friend to the magic of the bulldogs over a couple of ales and a long-lunch (they might even but a membership the following year)

anyway just my thoughts

AndrewP6
18-10-2010, 07:32 PM
Would you up that limit if you knew there was a signed jumper in return?, considering the call was for the hardcore supporters to dig at least a hundred bucks, and unlike alot of other clubs we have always needed to dig deep, most of us had dug deep not even knowing if that hard earned was going to even help the club from going under, for all i know what i put in could have gone straight into the VFL's kitty.

I also think it could be a good marketing ploy, gets more jumpers out there, and be the envy of other clubs knowing that our members & supporters get something you beaut from digging deep again, great PA for the club, also a real appreciation from the club to those die hard supporters.

Don't mind the idea from a fundraising perspective, and I agree the incentive would be greater knowing you'd get something in return. Was just kind of saying that even if there is an incentive, for some (many?), money is tight. I personally wouldn't go for the jumper, just doesn't appeal to me. I'd probably just as happily make a donation! :) The idea posted earlier along the lines of meeting the coaches, sitting in the box or similar would be terrific, but cost prohibitive.

LostDoggy
18-10-2010, 08:06 PM

I know I wear my collar a bit but come on.:rolleyes:

LostDoggy
19-10-2010, 01:13 PM
I would love to contribute what I can, love the signed guernsey idea, lunches or dinners would be nice too. :)

LostDoggy
23-10-2010, 11:11 AM
I was gonna save up and sponsor a player this year but I cannot do both. What a conumdrum. Making me go grey with worry.
:(:(:confused::(

Mantis
01-11-2010, 02:31 PM

I read this morning that Collingwood are going to cap the number of members in their 'Legends Club' to 9000 for the coming season (at present they have just over 7000).

Not sure what entitlements members get with this membership type (nothing on their website until the 8th), but they pay over $800 for the package.

I wonder how many we would have that fit into this membership category... I wouldn't think it wouldn't be many more than 1,000.

LostDoggy
01-12-2010, 10:44 AM
Just got an Email from the club re membership renewals ( i'm a bulldog for life) ...anyways, it mentions the Bulldoze the debt campaign and it now has a sponsor....Komatsu, does anyone have any info on this arrangement? as to what they are tipping in? ......Dollar for Dollar would be nice!!

Hotdog60
05-12-2010, 05:22 PM
I don't know if this has been asked before or not, sorry if it has.

With the Bulldoze the debt, we are basically giving a donation to the club. My question to the more accountants minded Woofers out there, is it tax deductible.:D

I've just renewed my membership and gone onto the Bulldog for life and paid the Bulldoze up front.

I don't know how the tax-man is on donations to sporting clubs.

LostDoggy
05-12-2010, 06:06 PM

With the Bulldoze the debt, we are basically giving a donation to the club. My question to the more accountants minded Woofers out there, is it tax deductible.:D

I've just renewed my membership and gone onto the Bulldog for life and paid the Bulldoze up front.

Good question, I also paid mine upfront, don't know if I will be able to afford it down the track.

LostDoggy
06-12-2010, 09:25 AM

No it isn't deductable.

aker39
06-12-2010, 10:29 AM
If you want to make a tax deductible donation to the club, then the Forever Foundation is the way to go.

http://www.foreverfoundation.com.au/

Prince Imperial
15-02-2011, 10:40 PM
Just noticed on the club website, we've so far raised $200,000 with a first year target of $1m.

There's still a few things to come up such as the auction of a Komatsu machine so hopefully we'll get there.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/how%20much%20of%20the%20debt%20has%20been%20bulldozed/tabid/17107/default.aspx

LostDoggy
17-02-2011, 08:08 PM
Just noticed on the club website, we've so far raised $200,000 with a first year target of $1m.

Any idea anyone if this is in coffers or commitments?

LostDoggy
17-02-2011, 11:33 PM
Was the first year target always $1 million, or did they lower it?

Anyway, I haven't and wont contribute. I buy my AFL Membership (which includes my Bulldogs membership) plus a social club membership every year. That's enough for me.

LostDoggy
18-02-2011, 01:42 AM
IMO the marketing department should start working on an annual debt-raiser intra-club at Whitten Oval at the end of the season or in Feb 2012. Tigers owe $5mill, Norf owe $4 or 6 (based on whether your talking to James or Jeff). Shouldn't be too hard to talk one of those clubs into joining in. If you got a minimum 20-30K supporters turning up at gate $20 a head, fill them full of amber fluid (say another $20 on average), you'd take $800K - $1.2 Mill per game and a good day had by all. I just can't see everyone coughing up $120 each out of sheer good will. I think the clubs got to get pro-active to entice the sheer number of people needed to kick-in to get rid of this mountain. Maybe they could make it a legends game. They shouldn't do another function though. The functions (bar the Charlie Sutton etc) are transparently money-grubbing and getting worse....

LostDoggy
18-02-2011, 01:50 AM
IMO the marketing department should start working on an annual debt-raiser intra-club at Whitten Oval at the end of the season or in Feb 2012. Tigers owe $5mill, Norf owe $4 or 6 (based on whether your talking to James or Jeff). Shouldn't be too hard to talk one of those clubs into joining in. If you got a minimum 20-30K supporters turning up at gate $20 a head, fill them full of amber fluid (say another $20 on average), you'd take $800K - $1.2 Mill per game and a good day had by all. I just can't see everyone coughing up $120 each out of sheer good will. I think the clubs got to get pro-active to entice the sheer number of people needed to kick-in to get rid of this mountain. Maybe they could make it a legends game. They shouldn't do another function though. The functions (bar the Charlie Sutton etc) are transparently money-grubbing and getting worse....

unfortunately won't happen at the WO due to facilities not being able to handle the anticipated crowd numbers.

I do like the thought of a intra/inter club match with perhaps Williamstown that the club could charge an entry fee to at either Williamstown Oval or Visy Park if $$$ permitted

Cyberdoggie
18-02-2011, 02:07 PM
unfortunately won't happen at the WO due to facilities not being able to handle the anticipated crowd numbers.

I do like the thought of a intra/inter club match with perhaps Williamstown that the club could charge an entry fee to at either Williamstown Oval or Visy Park if $$$ permitted

For a starter they should have someone there accepting gold coin donations etc for the intra club. It's great that it's free but i dont' mind giving a few coins out to get in.

There were possibly 500 people there min. I'm sure we made a few bucks from the coffee's etc, but i think they missed a chance to rake in a couple of grand in voluntary donations.

Hopefully they seize the opportunity at the family day.

I know the idea of tin rattling brings back memories of troubled times but if they are expecting us to just donate in large sums then they are going to fall way short of expectations, because i think a lot of us struggle to afford our memberships each year, let alone donating extra. If i had an extra $100 i'd probably by a reserved seat.

ledge
18-02-2011, 02:29 PM
What about the cricket match against the Storm , thats free maybe charge and go halves with the Storm, I am in favour of something different sports wise, against other codes or even other AFL teams.

Athletics, cricket, baseball, soccer anything thats a bit more relaxed and fun.
One big day over the summer just to keep the fans looking forward to the year.

bornadog
18-02-2011, 03:15 PM
Some Ideas:

* I like the idea of a legends match for a bit of fun.

* Could also do a concert with a few bands, maybe even get them free.

* The intra Club match involving Willi sounds good as well, however, getting the numbers maybe an issue. Perhaps do it Saturday afternoon, not the morning as its too hard to get there.

Any other ideas?

ledge
18-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Some Ideas:

* I like the idea of a legends match for a bit of fun.

* Could also do a concert with a few bands, maybe even get them free.* The intra Club match involving Willi sounds good as well, however, getting the numbers maybe an issue. Perhaps do it Saturday afternoon, not the morning as its too hard to get there.

Any other ideas?

Nths doing that this year in March.
Legend matches are happening all through this NAB cup.
I was trying to think of something original or different to get maximum intake.

ledge
18-02-2011, 03:25 PM
What about something that our muticultural suburb can intergrate with, something Asian or Africans can relate to sports wise, make them feel that little bit closer to us.
I mention those 2 because they are what I see most in the area.

LostDoggy
18-02-2011, 05:15 PM
Maybe some staff at the Western Bulldogs can take some pay cuts?

Seriously, I don't understand why they call for supporter help when they attract massive debt. It's not out fault. We buy our memberships/merchandise and that should be enough.

LostDoggy
18-02-2011, 05:40 PM
Seriously, I don't understand why they call for supporter help when they attract massive debt. It's not out fault. We buy our memberships/merchandise and that should be enough.

I guess we are always going to be a little bit behind financially when we are competing against clubs with a substantially larger fan base. When you consider membership numbers we are already punching above our weight IMHO.

ledge
18-02-2011, 05:44 PM
Personally I believe we are going to become a power house and clubs like Richmond will drop away financially.
Our supporter base is growing and the club recognizes that.
The quicker this debt goes the faster we grow.

azabob
18-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Maybe some staff at the Western Bulldogs can take some pay cuts?

Surely you can't be serious? How is it the staff's fault they attracted massive debt?

Im sure we don't pay market rate for our people to begin with.

If we didn't redevelop the Western Oval you may not have a club to support, but reading your posts over the last day maybe you don't want a club to support as NFL seems more your thing.

Not sure what you do for a living, but if your boss came to you and said we wish to eliminate some debt perhaps you could take a salary cut. What would your response be?

You mentioned earlier that you already give X amount with membership etc and you are not contributing anymore that is fair enough but then to continue on about it I think is not necessary.

boydogs
18-02-2011, 09:16 PM
I don't think it's that hard to give supporters something for the extra money. A cricket game against the storm, another East/West or family day, a chance to spend game day in the club rooms etc.

I'm sure there would be plenty here willing to part with $$$ just to spend an hour with the players in an off season training session, or have a tour of the training centre with Rocket.

The Adelaide Connection
19-02-2011, 02:48 AM
For a starter they should have someone there accepting gold coin donations etc for the intra club. It's great that it's free but i dont' mind giving a few coins out to get in.

There were possibly 500 people there min. I'm sure we made a few bucks from the coffee's etc, but i think they missed a chance to rake in a couple of grand in voluntary donations.

Hopefully they seize the opportunity at the family day.

I know the idea of tin rattling brings back memories of troubled times but if they are expecting us to just donate in large sums then they are going to fall way short of expectations, because i think a lot of us struggle to afford our memberships each year, let alone donating extra. If i had an extra $100 i'd probably by a reserved seat.

I think you will find that most people are already putting in money electronically which is effectively a tin rattle. I think if you start hitting people at the ground as well you risk starting to put people offside a little.

As mentioned by others I think it is much smarter to provide something so perhaps rattling tins with raffle tickets attatched and the prizes could be merchandise like flags, polos etc (first prizes could be framed, signed guernseys etc) etc that cost the club very little but make people a little more enthusiastic about parting with more coin.

Why not have some framed, collector edition signed guernseys of some of the new faces?

LostDoggy
19-02-2011, 03:18 AM
Surely you can't be serious? How is it the staff's fault they attracted massive debt?

Im sure we don't pay market rate for our people to begin with.

If we didn't redevelop the Western Oval you may not have a club to support, but reading your posts over the last day maybe you don't want a club to support as NFL seems more your thing.

Not sure what you do for a living, but if your boss came to you and said we wish to eliminate some debt perhaps you could take a salary cut. What would your response be?

You mentioned earlier that you already give X amount with membership etc and you are not contributing anymore that is fair enough but then to continue on about it I think is not necessary.

No. I do want a club to support. But why do we have such a large debt in the first place? I've been a Western Bulldogs member all my life. I do my bit to support this club and so does my family.

It just seems kind of negligent that the club has had this debt for so long and is only worrying about all of the interest that's coming along with it now? Why wasn't this debt dealt with years ago? Maybe then it wouldn't be as large?

Just because I've taken a very strong liking to American football doesn't mean I don't want a club to support. I just don't like Aussie Rules as much as I used to. That doesn't mean I'm still not going to go to every home game this year.

Bumper Bulldogs
19-02-2011, 09:39 AM
What about if the club set up a super coach forum and all the player have a team that you can have in your league, If you paid $25 each and had 6 people with 6 of your favorite bulldog players, I'm sure they would get a #$@! load of people sign up.

They could also have as incentives a day/weekend with a player/coach, at the 1/2 way mark a prize for the highest points a day in the coaches box/dressing room.

These cost nothing and if they get it right could generate some good coin. We as woofers had a few leagues that would kick them off. At $25 or $1 a week why would you not?

Bumper Bulldogs
19-02-2011, 09:42 AM
Hey just another one why cant they set up a corporate day?

Businesses pay $500 and they could have a maximum of 20 people train with the boys. Even if it was just the second run players but lead by the captain.

Bumper Bulldogs
19-02-2011, 09:53 AM
Just another thought......Why would they not get a few old Dogs and the Current Dogs/Coaches and offer them up as motivational speakers at business lunches/functions. The corporate world would love Hawk turning up with Hall and Rocket and they would pay $10,000 as it's a tax deduction any way.

Should we all tee up our thoughts and present it to the brains trust down at Whitten Oval.

They could also have an event such as a run around the tan with your Dog. When we are doing time trials they could sell at $20 per person to race your bulldog player. they could have each Player with 4 paying people to race against the clock around the tan. 40 players by 4 people by $20 = $3200 just for conduction your own training season. every bit helps!

Jasper
19-02-2011, 02:23 PM
All good idea's BB but you are putting the onus on the players to drive this and I don't think this is their job to make themselves available. It really is up to the fans to dig a little deeper without getting much more back in return.

The real secret is to shame our Bulldog mates who haven't taken out club memberships to get off their backsides and take even the most basic of membership packages.

3,000 returning members would be huge for the club.

ledge
19-02-2011, 02:47 PM
All good idea's BB but you are putting the onus on the players to drive this and I don't think this is their job to make themselves available. It really is up to the fans to dig a little deeper without getting much more back in return.

The real secret is to shame our Bulldog mates who haven't taken out club memberships to get off their backsides and take even the most basic of membership packages.

Sorry Jasper cant agree part of any player is to advertise the club and do business talks etc, has been for years.

Club makes them available and I think you will find most players are contracted to do stuff like that.

As far as the cricket match idea is concerned they do it any way, why not ask for donations or charge, at least the supporter is getting some entertainment for the money.

Bulldog4life
19-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Info which we heard at the AGM at end of Dec 2010 which I posted in another thread.

Currently about 40% of Bulldog For Life Members are contributing to Bulldoze the Debt and they are hoping that the total figure will be about 10,000 members who agree to this. This April they will be starting the "Decade of the Bulldog" and they are planning in "one night" to eradicate the $5 million debt.
Hoping to have 250 of the "wealthiest supporters" to attend a night whereas for $10,000 they will have membership for 10 years, same seat for 10 years and ticket to GF for 10 years....I imagine if we make it.
Each guest of the night will be asked to buy 2 of these packages. Cam Rose started the ball rolling by saying that he will be buying 3 of these packages. Without mentioning any names Cam also said that someone connected to the Club has put their name down for
"17" of these packages and a number of the Directors have agreed to purchase packages already too.

boydogs
19-02-2011, 05:31 PM
Info which we heard at the AGM at end of Dec 2010 which I posted in another thread.

Currently about 40% of Bulldog For Life Members are contributing to Bulldoze the Debt and they are hoping that the total figure will be about 10,000 members who agree to this. This April they will be starting the "Decade of the Bulldog" and they are planning in "one night" to eradicate the $5 million debt.
Hoping to have 250 of the "wealthiest supporters" to attend a night whereas for $10,000 they will have membership for 10 years, same seat for 10 years and ticket to GF for 10 years....I imagine if we make it.
Each guest of the night will be asked to buy 2 of these packages. Cam Rose started the ball rolling by saying that he will be buying 3 of these packages. Without mentioning any names Cam also said that someone connected to the Club has put their name down for
"17" of these packages and a number of the Directors have agreed to purchase packages already too.

Sounds very promising.

There are plenty of things the club could offer that are near priceless, as they are simply not available at the moment no matter the price. BB is on the right track, but $20 or $25 a person could be more like $200 or $250.

Bulldoze the debt could instead of being a flat donation be the option to participate in a special event through the year, such as a training session, the club rooms on gameday, a signed guernsey or footy, training centre tour, player entry in SC league, raffle ticket to win special merchandise.

A 10,000 person take up at $200 a piece would raise $2 million. 40 players by 5 leagues in both SC and DT would be 400, 50 x 20 person training centre tours another 1000, 10 x 20 people in the gameday rooms 200, 10 x 50 people in training sessions 500, and unlimited signed guernseys, footy's and raffle tickets.

Even a bulldoze the debt scarf, cap or shirt would be some acknowledgment and unique entitlement that contributors could be offered, which may help justify it for more people.

LostDoggy
19-02-2011, 05:42 PM
What about something that our muticultural suburb can intergrate with, something Asian or Africans can relate to sports wise, make them feel that little bit closer to us.
I mention those 2 because they are what I see most in the area.

This is more a long term idea (and maybe it already exists) but one way to get people new to the country interested in the game (and specifically our club) would be to buddy them up with a fan willing to take them to a game and show them what it's all about. You could probably get some money from the government to support this and has potential for some good press??

Bumper Bulldogs
19-02-2011, 09:49 PM

Sorry Jasper, I cant agree here as it is the problem of the Bulldogs board and I truly think they all have the best intentions with what they do, I think that money is their to be had but it's up to the administration to get everyone on board and find ways to get us all to part with it. Why couldn't they have a sponsor a super goal in the NAB cup? WQe could have set up a site were people could register to pay XX for every 9 point goal scored.

Bring out Chris Grant as an example he stayed with us for 20c (I think). Again it's not the money but it's the heart strings. We all love the romance and need something to get us off our buts but I'm sorry a printed flyer doesn't hit the spot for me.

I have passed on details (my brother) to a number of current players and asked them to get Barry Hall to call him as he would buy a membership. After 3 years I have given up a brought it for him myself. He works in the area that Barry parents live and has said that if he got a call from Johno or Barry he would sign up. How many people do we know like this.

Should we get a list of all expired members and ask all the players to call 5 a day and see how many they can sign up. the player with the most can have a trip away, (Donated by one of the sponsors)

LostDoggy
21-02-2011, 10:53 AM
I have passed on details (my brother) to a number of current players and asked them to get Barry Hall to call him as he would buy a membership. After 3 years I have given up a brought it for him myself. He works in the area that Barry parents live and has said that if he got a call from Johno or Barry he would sign up. How many people do we know like this.

Should we get a list of all expired members and ask all the players to call 5 a day and see how many they can sign up. the player with the most can have a trip away, (Donated by one of the sponsors)

Haha I loved the idea initially... but perhaps it sets a dangerous precedent, so next year I hold off buying my membership until I get a call from big Will.

Maddog37
21-02-2011, 12:53 PM
I have not contributed to Bulldoze the debt yet.

I am a bulldog for life and simply upgraded from family silver to family gold and figured that would achieve a similar result.

One idea is to have a player review where all the plyers come out doing the elephant walk and then shake their frank and beans around for some screaming old ladies.

Then we could sell the video to the Herald Sun as an exclusive for big bucks....maybe we could get Ricky Nixon to market the night and Fev to host it. :D

bornadog
21-02-2011, 01:09 PM
No. I do want a club to support. But why do we have such a large debt in the first place? I've been a Western Bulldogs member all my life. I do my bit to support this club and so does my family.

It just seems kind of negligent that the club has had this debt for so long and is only worrying about all of the interest that's coming along with it now? Why wasn't this debt dealt with years ago? Maybe then it wouldn't be as large?

Just because I've taken a very strong liking to American football doesn't mean I don't want a club to support. I just don't like Aussie Rules as much as I used to. That doesn't mean I'm still not going to go to every home game this year.

You are one ignorant supporter, how can you comment this way.

The AFL has ripped us off for years, with Stadium deals, no block busters, interstate trips, etc etc. The past 5 years we have posted profits and therefore the debt has not grown.

We are lucky to be still in the AFL and not bankrupt. It costs millions and millions to run the club and with a small supporter base we have struggled to keep up and therefore had to borrow money to stay alive. This isnot negligence, this is a fact of running a club.

We have now finaly started to get on top of the debt with 30,000 plus supporters and good attendances at alot of games, but we are still worse off than Collingwood, Essendon Carlton in regards to stadium deals, block busters , prime time TV. Yes the AFL compensate us with some money but the exposure these other teams get, they end up getting bigger and bigger and we are constantly trying to catch up.

If you prefer not to pay extra to help, that is fine, but don't post rubbish about things you do not understand.

GVGjr
21-02-2011, 06:43 PM
The AFL has ripped us off for years, with Stadium deals, no block busters, interstate trips, etc etc. The past 5 years we have posted profits and therefore the debt has not grown.

We are lucky to be still in the AFL and not bankrupt. It costs millions and millions to run the club and with a small supporter base we have struggled to keep up and therefore had to borrow money to stay alive. This isnot negligence, this is a fact of running a club.

I couldn't disagree with you more BAD. We control our own destiny not the AFL and yuo more than most would know that posting operating profits isn't necessarily linked to reducing debt.

If the AFL has ripped us off why is Smorgo coming out and saying so at the time when things like the stadium deals are struck? He certainly has a go at the old deals when new deals need to be worked through but once they are done he is more often than not singing their praises.

We have been initiating the sale of home games to the interstate markets to get the profits that you are actually applauding.

Sockeye Salmon
21-02-2011, 07:35 PM
I couldn't disagree with you more BAD. We control our own destiny not the AFL and yuo more than most would know that posting operating profits isn't necessarily linked to reducing debt.

If the AFL has ripped us off why is Smorgo coming out and saying so at the time when things like the stadium deals are struck? He certainly has a go at the old deals when new deals need to be worked through but once they are done he is more often than not singing their praises.

We have been initiating the sale of home games to the interstate markets to get the profits that you are actually applauding.

I couldn't agree with you more, BAD.

We have made the most out of impossible situations but there is absolutely no doubt we have been screwed over by the AFL.

This fact was proved conclusively by Ernst & Young accountants a few years back. Their report put a $$$ value on things out of the clubs control - stadium deals, signage, fixturing and FTA coverage. E & Y found that we were $3.7mil/year worse off than the AFL average.

Our board has done a brilliant job to get where we are despite the AFL, not thanks to them, but as long as we need them I'm quite sure we will never badmouth them.

That's a lot different to singing their praises.

GVGjr
21-02-2011, 08:36 PM
We have made the most out of impossible situations but there is absolutely no doubt we have been screwed over by the AFL.

We have done very well but we are never critical of the AFL for a good reason

This fact was proved conclusively by Ernst & Young accountants a few years back. Their report put a $$$ value on things out of the clubs control - stadium deals, signage, fixturing and FTA coverage. E & Y found that we were $3.7mil/year worse off than the AFL average.

And yet when that deal was originally struck Smorgo saw it as a step forward only to be very critical of it when the next deal was in progress.

Our board has done a brilliant job to get where we are despite the AFL, not thanks to them, but as long as we need them I'm quite sure we will never badmouth them.

I can't agree, we have worked with them closely and it's the reason why we have turned the corner. Fighting them was never the answer to our long term financial issues.

boydogs
21-02-2011, 08:39 PM
but as long as we need them I'm quite sure we will never badmouth them.

This is the key point IMO. Which clubs have been out bagging the AFL lately?

alwaysadog
21-02-2011, 11:51 PM
And yet when that deal was originally struck Smorgo saw it as a step forward only to be very critical of it when the next deal was in progress... Fighting them was never the answer to our long term financial issues.

I agree with the general drift of what you are saying GVG; I don’t think when all the matters are put on the table that we have been badly dealt with by the AFL, but it’s a messy arrangement and one that gives us little opportunity to celebrate achievements: nevertheless it has lead Collo to make an astonishing statement.

“The Western Bulldogs are clearly now a force in the AFL competition, both on and off the field. We are were (sic) pleased to hold such constructive and effective discussions about how we can assist them to continue to advance their already strong brand in a variety of ways”

That would never have come out of his mouth if we were not now a “valued customer” and considered likely to remain one.

It is timely to remember however, that our initial deal was based on modelling presented to us that showed we would make a profit after 18,000 punters showed up, but it turned out to be.... 30,000... close to twice as many.

In any normal business environment such misrepresentation even if not deliberately misleading would nevertheless be actionable.

On the other hand the AFL world is not normal by a host of measures and they are compromised because post the demise of AFL Park Waverley, they depend on the stadium being able to operate... and that means profitably, but secondly and most significantly the AFL are the nominal owners with Collo and company as tenants on a 30 year lease.

All this has meant that we have spent a long while paying them for the privilege of allowing us to play at their unfortunate muck heap. In order to avoid the fallout the AFL has been refunding us for this and other inequities that others have referred to, through the equalisation payments.

How did such a gross miscalculation occur? Like the former point the explanation is twofold. The stadium has various design flaws which contribute, but an overly hierarchical management structure and ethos not only delivers a less than satisfactory experience for patrons but more importantly it leads to overmanning that creates huge additional and unnecessary costs. In most cases they have have 2 people where only 1 is needed and then at peak times they have less people behind bars etc than are needed. It’s really quite amateurish.

Given your family's background in hospitality, you like me, must find frustration and bemusement at the complex systems which make the task of getting even a simple service such a lengthy procedure and that take the focus off the meeting of customer needs in order to meet the system needs.

Now having got my anti Collo management rant off my chest there is no doubt in my mind that our board has done a brilliant job. They have taken a hold on our future in ways not previously imagined and produced unusual but mutually beneficial synergies with a range of partners.

They have created a situation where we can realistically ask our members to remove our historically acquired debt in the confident expectation that the club is on a firm footing and barring unexpected catastrophes we look forward to a lengthy period of both on and off field progress and success.

How have we got to that situation? Well trading at a profit has been the exception more than the rule for us; it’s amazing how quickly some forget the years of financial struggle and the noose it places around the neck of the football department. In the past when such things were possible we had to sell our best player Bernie Quinlan to make ends meet. More recently we’ve spent less than the full salary cap and we still don’t spend all we’d like to in this area.

But we are not on our own; one only has to look at all the other clubs. Is there one which at some time in the last 30 years hasn’t had to go to its members for help? As just one example, the most recent premiers now mega wealthy are only a short time from their own debt reduction strategies.

A touch over 20 years that we were being closed (merged) because the then VFL didn’t think we could meet our debt commitments. More recently Smorgo and his team came to power in the mid 90s because his predecessor Peter Gordon, as good as he had been in saving the club, hadn’t been able to stabilise the club’s finances in the longer term.

Fortunately we have got past that point, we have come a long, long, so why should we worry about our debt? My response is that it directly affects our on field performance. Just compare how much the wollypuds spend on their football department with our expenditure, then think about the additional money that will be available when the unproductive debt interest payments cease. Does anyone think it will not be welcome and not well spent?

If this doesn’t say we should do all we can to achieve an historic moment then I don’t know what does.

When, not if, we are debt free I plan on holding a great big party and inviting all my Bulldog supporting friends, neighbours and rellies to celebrate a great moment in the annals of our club. One of the guests will be my 97 year old Bulldog supporting mother, who declared recently that it will be the second most important moment in her football life after the 1954 flag. Our next flag which she is sure is imminent will be the third.

boydogs
22-02-2011, 12:51 PM
They have taken a hold on our future in ways not previously imagined and produced unusual but mutually beneficial synergies with a range of partners.

Thoughtful post as always AAD, I just think the innovation could continue to produce a return for the rank and file struggling to justify large donations.

$200 as a straight out gift? Hard to justify. $200 to tour the training centre? Maybe you would give up Golfing or something for a while for such a unique experience.

azabob
17-03-2011, 10:38 PM
Richmond are also doing a similar thing. At a function tonight it is being reported players, coaches and board members donated $250K of own money.
Good effort by them.

LostDoggy
18-03-2011, 12:23 AM
Up to 2.5mill now for RICHmenD

Mantis
18-03-2011, 08:39 AM
Up to 2.5mill now for RICHmenD

Which is almost the amount they spend more than us per year on their footy dept.

Pretty good at tipping money down the sink at Punt Rd.

The Adelaide Connection
27-04-2011, 03:21 AM
Thought this was very worthy of some promotion, Bulldogs direct currently have an auction for a "Mascot/Inner Sanctum" experience for 1 Adult and Child for the Canberra game.

In a nutshell you fly to Canberra, stay in the team hotel, attend the training, attend a special function, and the child runs out with the team.

Damn I wish I lived in Melbourne and had kids/my nephew was older than 3!

http://westernbulldogs.com.au/portals/50/shop.html

bornadog
30-04-2011, 05:25 PM
Tonight's big fund raiser is at the Whitten Oval:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.10150181374447487.327239.356560647486

dogman
30-04-2011, 05:38 PM
Unfortunately have only about 150 people attending, they were planning for about 350. So very disappointing for the club.

I will be attending and doing my bit.

LostDoggy
30-04-2011, 07:37 PM
Whats going on today? Didnt even know about it

dogman
01-05-2011, 01:18 AM
Over 1.1million of clubs debt gone, great night for the club.

Players donated $54000 of own money which was great.

AndrewP6
01-05-2011, 01:31 AM
Over 1.1million of clubs debt gone, great night for the club.

Players donated $54000 of own money which was great.

Thanks for the update...great to hear!

chef
01-05-2011, 08:07 AM
$ 1.125 million Bulldozed from Historical Debt
Famous for being Red, White and Blue, the Western Bulldogs will soon add ‘black’ into the mix with $1.125 million wiped from the Club’s $5 million historical debt.

The impressive sum was raised at Saturday night’s exclusive Red, White & Blue Ribbon Event held at Whitten Oval’s state-of-the-art Mission Elite Learning Centre.

The evening united current and past Western Bulldogs players, greats and officials, plus 150 generous supporters.

Guests had the opportunity to mingle with past Bulldogs champions, including Captains Charlie Sutton, Brad Johnson, Chris Grant, Scott Wynd, Steve Wallis who stirred up the nostalgia in the room as well as the entire coaching group and numerous current players.

Western Bulldogs supporter and Hunters & Collectors’ front man Mark Seymour performed a set to the delight of guests to conclude the evening.

To honour the evening’s event, the team will wear a commemorative Red, White & Blue Ribbon Guernsey featuring the names of contributors, for the Round 13 match v Adelaide at Etihad Stadium on 17th June.

All proceeds raised from tonight will go directly to Bulldoze the Debt, with the events entire cost generously picked up by Western Bulldogs Patron and Director, Dr Susan Alberti AO.

This event brings the Club closer to a debt-free future.

Western Bulldogs supporters will have another opportunity to get involved at the Bulldoze the Debt Gala & Captains Reunion on Saturday 18th June, with the chance to buy a lasting piece of Bulldogs history - a well-worn seat in the EJ Whitten Grandstand.

To purchase a ticket to the Bulldoze the Debt Gala & Captains Reunion, click here now, and, together, we can get this doggone debt gone.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2011/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/112775/default.aspx

Greystache
01-05-2011, 11:33 AM
That's a terrific result, I know we were hoping for 350 to attend but only 150 bought tickets. I was wondering how we'd managed to make so much profit until I read this bit

All proceeds raised from tonight will go directly to Bulldoze the Debt, with the events entire cost generously picked up by Western Bulldogs Patron and Director, Dr Susan Alberti AO.

That's a huge contribution!

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 08:40 PM
Thanks Susan, how lucky are we as a club to have such a generous benefactor and board member?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-05-2011, 08:47 PM
What a great result. Will be interesting how they can maintain this initiative going forward. You'd imagine that it will get harder to find new contributors each year. The Dogs will have to find new innovative ways to keep getting these sorts of numbers going forward.
But a fantastic start.

bornadog
22-05-2011, 01:12 PM
Snippett from HUN

THE Bulldogs, with new chief executive Simon Garlick on board, have made moves to welcome Nathan Brown back to the fold.

Brown left the Dogs for the Tigers in 2003 and the exit was so painful even teammate and close friend Luke Darcy did not talk to him for a year.

Time heals all wounds and Brown has been invited to the Dogs' upcoming Bulldoze the Debt function at Crown.

Brown cannot attend due to media commitments, but it is only a matter of time before lobs back at the kennel in some capacity.

Current players Robert Murphy and Daniel Giansiracusa remain super-close friends of Brown.

chef
22-05-2011, 01:34 PM
Not a fan of this.

AndrewP6
22-05-2011, 01:48 PM
Snippett from HUN

THE Bulldogs, with new chief executive Simon Garlick on board, have made moves to welcome Nathan Brown back to the fold.

Brown left the Dogs for the Tigers in 2003 and the exit was so painful even teammate and close friend Luke Darcy did not talk to him for a year.

Time heals all wounds and Brown has been invited to the Dogs' upcoming Bulldoze the Debt function at Crown.

Brown cannot attend due to media commitments, but it is only a matter of time before lobs back at the kennel in some capacity.

Current players Robert Murphy and Daniel Giansiracusa remain super-close friends of Brown.

If he opens his wallet and gives us money, well, maybe I'd let him in.

No, stuff it, he can bugger off!

LostDoggy
22-05-2011, 01:54 PM
Brown annoys me as a media commentator. But.....I don't mind if the club invites him back in. He was a star for us and even though he left, I think we should forgive and move on

chef
22-05-2011, 02:05 PM
Brown annoys me as a media commentator. But.....I don't mind if the club invites him back in. He was a star for us and even though he left, I think we should forgive and move on

I will never be able to do that.

The Underdog
22-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Snippett from HUN

Is that an actual quote? As in, did a person who calls themselves a journalist describe their friendship as "super-close" in a newspaper article? Was it written by a 15 year old girl?

As for Brown back at the club...Whatevs!!!!!:rolleyes::):D;)

Greystache
22-05-2011, 04:11 PM
Is that an actual quote? As in, did a person who calls themselves a journalist describe their friendship as "super-close" in a newspaper article? Was it written by a 15 year old girl?

It's a direct quote from Brown on SEN last night, Mark Stevens was on air with him at the time.

Rocco Jones
22-05-2011, 04:21 PM

It's a direct quote from Brown on SEN last night, Mark Stevens was on air with him at the time.

Surely Stevens would have put 'super-close' in quotation marks. Firstly, because he is quoting someone but most importantly, to pass on the blame to Brown.

I am being too cynical in believing that Brown has been invited back due to his role in the media allowing him to spread the word? If that's the reason, I'm all for it.

LostDoggy
26-06-2011, 01:07 PM
Has anyone purchased a seat from the whitten oval?

I thought people purchase a seat to actually take home with them, im lucky i got one for free

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww328/darley92/SANY1631.jpg

LostDoggy
27-06-2011, 11:53 AM
Yes we have bought one and so has my sister - right next to each other.

bornadog
18-12-2014, 10:57 AM

Four years later and we are still around the $5 million mark

bornadog
18-12-2014, 11:18 AM

Seems this was not very successful

bulldogtragic
18-12-2014, 12:37 PM
Seems this was not very successful

Yep. This is exactly why I was critical of comments about tapping into members to fund a Whitten Oval stadium.

I tend to think like MRM, offer members a chance to have their name at WO, maybe around the fence at WO?

bornadog
18-12-2014, 12:57 PM
Yep. This is exactly why I was critical of comments about tapping into members to fund a Whitten Oval stadium.

I tend to think like MRM, offer members a chance to have their name at WO, maybe around the fence at WO?

The Buy a Seat fund raiser does that. I bought a seat paying $99 per month over 5 months and have a plaque with my name ,wife and daughters in the Whitten stand. This is still open to all members and plenty of space.

bulldogtragic
18-12-2014, 01:10 PM
The Buy a Seat fund raiser does that. I bought a seat paying $99 over 5 months and have a plaque with my name ,wife and daughters in the Whitten stand. This is still open to all members and plenty of space.

What happens if the stand goes one day? Do you get first dibs for the seat when we play?

bornadog
18-12-2014, 02:22 PM
What happens if the stand goes one day? Do you get first dibs for the seat when we play?

Don't care, the money goes towards the debt.

Axe Man
18-12-2014, 04:18 PM
Do you get first dibs for the seat when we play?

That would be funny:
Excuse me mate but you're sitting in my seat.
Your seat? I don't see your name on it!
Well actually...

BulldogBelle
18-12-2014, 07:35 PM
The Buy a Seat fund raiser does that. I bought a seat paying $99 per month over 5 months and have a plaque with my name ,wife and daughters in the Whitten stand. This is still open to all members and plenty of space.

My brother in-law and myself bought one of these seats each a few years back as well. All for a good cause - My Team!

boydogs
18-12-2014, 10:39 PM
Bulldoze The Debt raised $750k IIRC, in the same year we took out another loan for $1.5m for the Peninsula Club

bornadog
13-04-2017, 10:47 AM
Peter Gordon this morning says we will be close to eradicating our net debt by the end of the year. Great news.

Eastdog
13-04-2017, 12:37 PM
Peter Gordon this morning says we will be close to eradicating our net debt by the end of the year. Great news.

Fantastic news off field related to our club finances.

bulldogtragic
14-04-2017, 05:14 AM

Another million in premiership prize money, and million or so in premiership merchandise sales and were back in black then. If/when this group does that, it's not just a legacy of on field success, it's a legacy of financially setting up the club hopefully forever.

SlimPickens
14-04-2017, 09:27 AM
Another million in premiership prize money, and million or so in premiership merchandise sales and were back in black then. If/when this group does that, it's not just a legacy of on field success, it's a legacy of financially setting up the club hopefully forever.

Not to mention a greater ability to profit from our home game attendances with a better stadium deal. It's going to be a big few years for our footy club.

bulldogtragic
14-04-2017, 11:13 AM
Not to mention a greater ability to profit from our home game attendances with a better stadium deal. It's going to be a big few years for our footy club.

Yep. The 24 players in the 2016 finals series have given the club an opportunity to exist forever. What a legacy to have already, and they/we are only starting.