PDA

View Full Version : How did we do in trade week?

Greystache
11-10-2010, 03:57 PM
So the wash up from this week is-

In- Sherman, Veszpremi, Djerrkura, pick 73- And by extension Wallis, Liberatore
Out- Everitt, Pick 57, End of 1st round compensation pick- And by extension 1st and 2nd round draft picks.

We’ve added a small and pacy goal kicker who’s a decent mark on the lead to replace Johno and Aker. A small and pacy forward who can apply defensive pressure and also possibly play in defence and rotate through the midfield, which we all acknowledge we’d been lacking. A quick half forward who has also played across half back, who’s best is brilliant but his worst is poor, to try and cover the loss of Harbrow. Plus we secured to highly rated under 18 inside mids through the F/S process in exchange for our first and second round picks.

I’m happy enough to lose Everitt, I think he’s a jack-of-all-trades master-of-none type, his replacement is no certainty to be better but at least has a defined role. We perhaps overpaid for DJ but picks in the 50’s are a lottery anyway. We couldn’t negotiate a trade for Minson which would’ve freed up some salary cap space but left us susceptible in the ruck department, and we couldn’t find a home for Stack, or a suitable deal for Hill (who personally I’m glad to keep). In terms of “live” picks in the draft we’re not involved until the 70’s so any picks will be highly speculative (Brian Harris doesn’t have an 18 year old brother does he?), so we’ll probably load up in the rookie draft, money allowing.

Overall I think we filled gaps in terms of skill set, age, and games experience fairly well, some good recruiting through the 2 drafts will be cruicial, but I think we achieved what we set out to given our restraints. I give us a A/B+ with only Gold Coast having done better.

What are your thoughts?

mighty_west
11-10-2010, 04:15 PM
We probabaly don't really know how well or badly we have done for some time yet.

Regarding the father sons for picks 22 & 44, on the surface is a great get, both rated highly. TICK

Veszpremi for Everitt, who knows, it looks even enough, both similar age, both same draft picks a year apart, both talented but with issues, Veszpremi fills a need as a smallish forward, with Johnno & Aker gone & an aging Gia, he adresses a need, a good age to compliment our list as well. TICK

Djerkurra, 4 games in 4 years at Geelong, cost us a pick in the 50's, hit or miss.

Sherman, pretty much a direct swap for Harbrow who wanted to go home anyway, pretty even as that stands, again, addresses a need with adding pace to the midfield. TICK

The only downfall is our first LIVE pick in the National Draft is 70 something, Dalrymple & co have their work cut out to snag a few quality kids late in the draft.

SlimPickens
11-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Thought we did really well out of trade week, and also with our F/S picks. The pleasing thing for me was a number of players wanting to come to the bulldogs and particularly the way Fantasia held his ground on the Hill deal. We have addressed some deficiencies on our list with younger players (all being under 24y.o) and hopefully will see Libba and Wallis become good players for our footy club. Yes our first live pick is in the 70's but that doesn't really worry me, as anything after Libba and Wallis is speculative anyway.

I'm still amazed at Scott Claytons performance during trade week, but behind him and GCFC i think we can hold our heads high. Will be interested to see who is delisted, with some tough calls to be made.

LostDoggy
11-10-2010, 04:28 PM
Pretty much agree Greystache

The father /sons have me screaming for a pre season glimpse

DJ and Sherman look like players that don't shirk the hard stuff and have speed - a hard defensive edge has been lacking in the F50 for mine. (skills may be the issue here)

As for Veszpremi - I think you have hit the nail on the head with "defined role" - jury still out but worth the gamble.

Greystache
11-10-2010, 04:53 PM
The HUN says-

WESTERN BULLDOGS
Deal: Patrick Veszpremi and pick 73 from Sydney for Andrejs Everitt. Nathan Djerrkura from Geelong for pick 57. Confirmed father-son draftees Mitch Wallis (No.22) and Tom Liberatore (40). Justin Sherman from Brisbane Lions for first round compensation pick (for Jarrod Harbrow).
No deal: Refused to give up Josh Hill to Hawthorn. Pulled out of Andrew Walker race when they got Sherman. Stephen Tiller couldn't find any takers and Will Minson is still there.
We say: Big players and big winners. Replace Aker, Johnno and Eagleton with Veszpremi, Djerrkura and Sherman and have a couple of midfield guns in the making. Window may not be shut just yet.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/trade-week-how-your-club-fared/story-e6frf9jf-1225937223018

Nuggety Back Pocket
11-10-2010, 05:13 PM
So the wash up from this week is-

In- Sherman, Veszpremi, Djerrkura, pick 73- And by extension Wallis, Liberatore
Out- Everitt, Pick 57, End of 1st round compensation pick- And by extension 1st and 2nd round draft picks.

We’ve added a small and pacy goal kicker who’s a decent mark on the lead to replace Johno and Aker. A small and pacy forward who can apply defensive pressure and also possibly play in defence and rotate through the midfield, which we all acknowledge we’d been lacking. A quick half forward who has also played across half back, who’s best is brilliant but his worst is poor, to try and cover the loss of Harbrow. Plus we secured to highly rated under 18 inside mids through the F/S process in exchange for our first and second round picks.

I’m happy enough to lose Everitt, I think he’s a jack-of-all-trades master-of-none type, his replacement is no certainty to be better but at least has a defined role. We perhaps overpaid for DJ but picks in the 50’s are a lottery anyway. We couldn’t negotiate a trade for Minson which would’ve freed up some salary cap space but left us susceptible in the ruck department, and we couldn’t find a home for Stack, or a suitable deal for Hill (who personally I’m glad to keep). In terms of “live” picks in the draft we’re not involved until the 70’s so any picks will be highly speculative (Brian Harris doesn’t have an 18 year old brother does he?), so we’ll probably load up in the rookie draft, money allowing.

Overall I think we filled gaps in terms of skill set, age, and games experience fairly well, some good recruiting through the 2 drafts will be cruicial, but I think we achieved what we set out to given our restraints. I give us a A/B+ with only Gold Coast having done better.

What are your thoughts?

Agree with some of your comments. Sherman doesn't really compensate for the loss of Harbrow who is a far better player.The jury is still out on Veszpremi and Djerrkura who are both unproven at senior level.The club had the drop on Ben McKinley as a goal kicking forward from West Coast but decided not to pursue him, which I found a little puzzling. The big plusses have been gaining both Mitch Wallis and Tom Liberatore under the father/son rule.
Minson, Hill, Stack and Tiller have all been fortunate to survive. Compared to Collingwood which is now the trendsetter in the competition, our lack of depth is still a big concern.

divvydan
11-10-2010, 05:15 PM
According to this; http://www.afl.com.au/draft/draftorder/tabid/16748/default.aspx, which is the new draft order, we don't have 73 but have 90 instead which confirms that Everitt deal was for Vezspremi and #90 rather than #73.

Makes the trading slightly worse as #73,#74 and #91 would've been better than #74,#90 and #91.

chef
11-10-2010, 05:19 PM
According to this; http://www.afl.com.au/draft/draftorder/tabid/16748/default.aspx, which is the new draft order, we don't have 73 but have 90 instead which confirms that Everitt deal was for Vezspremi and #90 rather than #73.

Makes the trading slightly worse as #73,#74 and #91 would've been better than #74,#90 and #91.

Any chance we gave Sydney back 73 and accepted 90 as we don't plan on using it?

divvydan
11-10-2010, 05:20 PM
If we don't plan on using it that would suggest that we're only planning on taking the two father son picks and the two rookie upgrade picks.

stefoid
11-10-2010, 05:22 PM
Dont we have to draft 3 players minimum? In that case pick 74 will be used.

chef
11-10-2010, 05:24 PM
If we don't plan on using it that would suggest that we're only planning on taking the two father son picks and the two rookie upgrade picks.

I guess holding onto Minson, Tiller, Stack and Hill(and probably Hahn) will limit how many draftees we can get.

chef
11-10-2010, 05:25 PM
Dont we have to draft 3 players minimum? In that case pick 74 will be used.

Rookie upgrades count towards this.

Greystache
11-10-2010, 05:27 PM
I guess holding onto Minson, Tiller, Stack and Hill(and probably Hahn) will limit how many draftees we can get.

Do you think we'll keep them all?

bulldogsman
11-10-2010, 05:27 PM
Are Tiller and Stack out of contract?

chef
11-10-2010, 05:32 PM
Do you think we'll keep them all?

Not sure about Hahn(I think his times up) and Stack(is he contracted?), but the other three will stay on as they are contracted and needed for depth.

Greystache
11-10-2010, 05:36 PM
Not sure about Hahn(I think his times up) and Stack(is he contracted?), but the other three will stay on as they are contracted and needed for depth.

Is Tiller still under contract? Probably why we were looking to trade him.

chef
11-10-2010, 05:38 PM

Pretty sure he's got another year to go and same with Stack.

mjp
11-10-2010, 06:20 PM
AThe club had the drop on Ben McKinley as a goal kicking forward from West Coast but decided not to pursue him, which I found a little puzzling.

Some of the best deals are the ones you don't make.

We neither need nor want McKinley. He would have been handy for Willi though I suppose.

bornadog
11-10-2010, 06:21 PM

I think Tiller at age 23 and injury free, a big preseason may be of value as a backup in the backline. He has shown some ability in the past and although not overly tall at 190, can be a replacement for guys like Hargrave and Morris if they were to go down. He also ticks your box for a player that has played well in finals;)

Pedro Sanchez
11-10-2010, 06:42 PM
Overall I’m glad we were active in trade week. Very excited about the two F/S’s as I think they’ll be brilliant long term additions.

For me, the rest are mainly squad fillers at this point. By all reports Vez is talented but a little loose off the pitch, DJ doesn’t seem up to it going by only his 4 games in 4 years at the cats, and my gut feeling is Sherman will be average at best. Happy to be proven wrong on the latter three comments and I’m not against giving them a go, but they’re hardly inspiring recruits who are going to win our B&F.

In summary I am happy with the turn over as I’m glad to get rid of everitt as I don’t think he’s up to it. Also glad to keep Hill and Minson too – hopefully we’ll see the former more on the wing next season! I go into 2011 with optimism.

Twodogs
11-10-2010, 07:43 PM
By all reports Vez is talented but a little loose off the pitch

He's a good Italian boy back living in the same city as his mum. His behaviour of the pitch will improve dramatically I reckon!

Remi Moses
11-10-2010, 08:14 PM
Overall a win for the club basically a big bonus with the F/Sons,which allowed to free wheel for a change. Vez would want to tighten up or it will be a short lived career,Sherman is going to excite and infuriate. Djkuerra will pressure the likes of Hooper and Vez for a spot.
Very pleased we didn't pursue McKinley,as he is atrocious at ground level and gives the impression he doesn't care!

Sockeye Salmon
11-10-2010, 09:03 PM
He's a good Italian boy back living in the same city as his mum. His behaviour of the pitch will improve dramatically I reckon!

Except that he's not Italian...

Twodogs
11-10-2010, 10:56 PM
Except that he's not Italian...

What then?

stefoid
12-10-2010, 10:44 AM
Some sort of slavic name, is it?

Murphy'sLore
12-10-2010, 10:49 AM
Veszprem is a town in Hungary. Possibly originated from there?

chef
12-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Pretty sure it's Hungarian.

BornInDroopSt'54
12-10-2010, 12:10 PM

Italian name for the Hungarian town as in "Greco" Italian name for Greek?

BornInDroopSt'54
12-10-2010, 12:16 PM

Yes his heritage is Hungarian:
Swans celebrating diversity By Nikki Tugwell From: The Daily Telegraph March 13, 2009 12:00AM ......and forward Patrick Veszpremi (of Hungarian background).

Sedat
12-10-2010, 12:27 PM
So instead of coming back home for mamma's pasta he is coming back home for mamma's goulash.

Twodogs
12-10-2010, 01:04 PM
So instead of coming back home for mamma's pasta he is coming back home for mamma's goulash.

Mmmm. Goulash!

ReLoad
12-10-2010, 01:32 PM
So lets change the Tism song: "What Nationality is Les Murray" to "What nationality is Pat Vespremi"

LostDoggy
12-10-2010, 02:53 PM

That's not a good thing. Eade may need to get the BBQ tongs out again...

Remi Moses
12-10-2010, 07:42 PM

Goulash yum yum

Remi Moses
12-10-2010, 07:44 PM
So lets change the Tism song: "What Nationality is Les Murray" to "What nationality is Pat Vespremi"

"Is he from Chad, Germany or Great Britain

LostDoggy
12-10-2010, 08:22 PM

Djerrkura must be Italian too. ;)

KT31
12-10-2010, 10:32 PM
"Is he from Chad, Germany or Great Britain

Australia mate !.:p