PDA

View Full Version : O'Shea isn't AFL quality - Akermanis

BulldogBelle
12-10-2010, 11:14 PM
You have to laugh, Aker even has to have his say in the Irish Daily Mail - I do recall reading an article that O'Shea wrote and mentioned Aker in it...

O'Shea isn't AFL quality - Akermanis (http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2010/10/11/OShea-isnt-AFL-quality---Akermanis-/gnid-78776/)
Setanta Sports
Oct 11, 2010

Former Australian Rules star Jason Akermanis has lashed out at Mayo star Aidan O'Shea, labelling him "too fat" for professional sports.

Akermanis, a former winner of the Brownlow medal, was responding to comments O'Shea made in a local newspaper column after he returned home from a two-week trial with the Western Bulldogs to focus on inter-county football.

"I'll tell you what, he's got a bloody bad attitude," motormouth Akermanis is quoted as saying in the Irish Daily Mail.

"He was fat and overweight, which showed us that he didn't look after himself. He was soft in the mind too. He came out, he tried to do some training and had one good performance.

Akermanis went on: "I saw what he wrote about me and my club about how one day he beat a bunch of professionals.

"Well look, just because you're getting paid, doesn't mean you're an athlete.

"He showed us the reason he won't make it is because he's clearly not disciplined enough.

"Some of the Irish kids who come out here, their culture is different but then maybe it's in the mind too."

O'Shea isn't AFL quality - Akermanis (http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2010/10/11/OShea-isnt-AFL-quality---Akermanis-/gnid-78776/)

AndrewP6
12-10-2010, 11:48 PM
That pic of O'Shea kind of adds credence to Aker's word. Not the most flattering...

hujsh
13-10-2010, 12:01 AM
Nevermind. Just Aker being Aker and making stuff up i guess.

LostDoggy
13-10-2010, 12:11 AM
I find it really weird reading Aker say "me and my club".

Sockeye Salmon
13-10-2010, 12:36 AM
Has he run out of people to slag off here already?

LostDoggy
13-10-2010, 12:54 AM
Rack off Aker!

BulldogBelle
13-10-2010, 01:19 AM
Aidan's article on us late December last year (http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8453:aidan-osheas-australian-rules-diary&catid=14&Itemid=100008)

He touched on Aker being an attention whore in his article.

Scraggers
13-10-2010, 01:30 AM
Rack off Aker!

Aker who ??

Desipura
13-10-2010, 12:47 PM
yesterdays hero

BulldogBelle
13-10-2010, 03:49 PM
Aidan's article on us late December last year (http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8453:aidan-osheas-australian-rules-diary&catid=14&Itemid=100008)

He touched on Aker being an attention whore in his article.

That's the article I read - thanks for providing the link. ST 07. :)

soupman
13-10-2010, 06:27 PM
When did Akermanis make these comments?

Either he made them after reading that article earlier this year/late last year, or made them in the past week. If the former how slow must news be in Ireland, and if it's the latter he has well and truly gone off his rocker. What a completely out of context thing to say.

KT31
13-10-2010, 07:14 PM
That's the article I read - thanks for providing the link. ST 07. :)

Agree Belle, much better reading than the tripe other twit writes.

Greystache
14-10-2010, 10:55 AM
You have to laugh, no matter where in the world you are, if you criticise Aker his insecurity will demand he pursue you and give you some back. Most people aren't petty enough to go to the trouble, but not Aker!

LostDoggy
14-10-2010, 02:48 PM
I didn't see anything derogatory in Aidan's diary about Aker or the Dogs at all. He was clearly in awe of the professionalism and fitness of the boys, and had some great insights into the gap between himself and the level required. He also made some very accurate observations of our players (Will is a smartypants, Bazza is a great guy + scary boxer, Aker loves attention -- when did this become a criticism, or even newsworthy?, and Boydy is a machine on the track -- 3600m in 100m sprints!), so I don't know what could possibly be taken in a negative context there. He also gave our facilities a fair wrap. If he has pumped up his own tyres here and there it's understandable for a young man in a challenging context, and in a piece about himself and his experience.

What was the need to attack him and tear the young man apart? He's a kid.