PDA

View Full Version : Jason Akermanis calls for David Smorgon's head

Max469
15-10-2010, 12:17 AM
Jason Akermanis calls for David Smorgon's head after comments from Justin Sherman

* Bruce Matthews
* October 15, 2010 12:00AM

Jason Akermanis

Jason Akermanis in his playing days at the Bulldogs. Source: Herald Sun

SACKED forward Jason Akermanis yesterday called for Western Bulldogs president David Smorgon's head - amid a furore over comments by another departed Brisbane Lions player.

Akermanis said it was time for Smorgon to step down after the sensitive Bulldogs apologised for trade acquisition Justin Sherman's criticism of the Lions.

"It won't stop, that's how poor their leadership is and I'll never back away from those comments because that's exactly what they do and exactly why they're not going to win anything any time soon," the Lions' triple premiership forward said.

Akermanis predicted there would be a backlash against Sherman during a guest spot on SEN's morning show.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/jason-akermanis-calls-for-david-smorgons-head-after-comments-from-justin-sherman/story-e6frf9jf-1225938923697

The Adelaide Connection
15-10-2010, 12:57 AM
Who is Jason Akermanis and why do we care again....? :rolleyes:

immortalmike
15-10-2010, 01:29 AM
My reaction when I read the headline was to literally laugh out loud. The guy and anyone who agrees with him is a joke.

LostDoggy
15-10-2010, 08:43 AM
"It won't stop, that's how poor their leadership is and I'll never back away from those comments because that's exactly what they do and exactly why they're not going to win anything any time soon," the Lions' triple premiership forward said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/jason-akermanis-calls-for-david-smorgons-head-after-comments-from-justin-sherman/story-e6frf9jf-1225938923697

Is it just me, or does this not really make sense?
Because we try prevent our players from comment accusing previous clubs, it means "we're not going to win anything".

What a complete idiot.

stefoid
15-10-2010, 08:52 AM
This is his career now - bitching about "people that dun wronged him" in the past.

I mean, look what happened when he tried an article that wasnt along those lines.

chef
15-10-2010, 08:54 AM
I feel sorry for his wife and children. How could you live with such a wanker.

Go_Dogs
15-10-2010, 09:15 AM
Our leadership is poor because we addressed a potential situation very quickly and got on the front foot with regards to the comments made?

I don't remember Richmond doing the same when McMahon was shooting his mouth off. Perhaps we should follow their successful blueprint. :rolleyes:

G-Mo77
15-10-2010, 09:16 AM
The worst thing about that article is not the content, I've learnt to except that from the tool but the fact there is a picture of him in the Red, White and Blue.

That alone makes my stomach turn!

LostDoggy
15-10-2010, 09:28 AM
My reaction is I wonder what Sherman really thinks about having to do this. Is he a player who will find such restriction difficult? Does he in any way think like Aker. I just hope not, but there does seem a bit of the cavalier about him. Like with Aker, you hope it can be channelled into a massive positive and not end in tears when the going gets tough.

Daughter of the West
15-10-2010, 09:36 AM
Aker is like a boomerang, everytime you think he's finally been thrown away, he does a u-bolt mid air and smacks you in the back of the head. Enough already!

Curly5
15-10-2010, 10:20 AM
We should know by now that at every opportunity A*** is going to sink the boots into our club with the maximum publicity. How about we don't give him any opportunities??

It was unfortunate Sherman didn't express himself better but I don't remember him coming under any scrutiny for any reason at the Lions, unlike someone else, so hopefully this will be a one-off. He needs to keep his head down and his mouth out of the papers while he's with us, and concentrate on becoming a good team member (again, unlike someone else).

Greystache
15-10-2010, 10:44 AM
The sad thing is he's going to spend the rest of his media life trying to justify why everything he's done in his life was the right thing. The good news for us is that media career is already on its last legs and his final season has only been finished for 2 weeks.

Sedat
15-10-2010, 10:51 AM
"Mr Akermanis, you've used up 14 and a half minutes of your allocated post-AFL career time, your last 30 seconds starts now...."

OLD SCRAGGer
15-10-2010, 11:23 AM
I'm so sick & tired of hearing crap this bitter & twisted turd keeps spewing up!! Can we now TOTALLY STOP writting about stuff he says? :mad: Whew, feel better now I got that off my chest !!!

Mofra
15-10-2010, 11:41 AM
Does anyone even care?

1eyedog
15-10-2010, 11:51 AM
Does anyone even care?

Of course they do, but not the ones that matter.

A poll taken after Aker was sacked revealed that 60+% of the public felt sorry for him and felt that he was hard done by.

I wonder how his book sales are going. People just love a soap opera, even a football one.

Murphy'sLore
15-10-2010, 11:56 AM
I wonder how his book sales are going.

Top 10 bestseller, unfortunately!

[/QUOTE] People just love a soap opera, even a football one.[/QUOTE]

I guess that's why...

LostDoggy
15-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Hope he's riding the motorbike today :)

LostDoggy
15-10-2010, 03:50 PM
As has been said many times, for god sake Aker shut your mouth. It has been said already that the people that matter don't take any notice of what he has to say, but those that don't know the full story can form the wrong opinion. It might carry some weight if it was about a player that earns a heap, but I'm sure the club is the big winner having Smorgan as President, what does he get out of it other than satisfaction. I don't think there are people breaking down the door to take the role.

Remi Moses
15-10-2010, 03:54 PM
What amazes me is that he still doesn't get the whole "I can say whatever I want " with no consequences. Most industries if you called someone a "dribbler" you'd be sacked but this dimwit thinks it's okay and calls Smorgon a sook for taking him to task!
What a night that Premiership reunion is going to be next year :p

BulldogBelle
15-10-2010, 04:20 PM
Imagine when he fronts up to one of those 300 AFL game dinners - Grant, Hawkins, West, Smith, Johnson and Eagleton on one side of the room and Aker on the opposite side alone. :)

EasternWest
15-10-2010, 05:01 PM
Imagine when he fronts up to one of those 300 AFL game dinners - Grant, Hawkins, West, Smith, Johnson and Eagleton on one side of the room and Aker on the opposite side alone. :)

Will the Eagle be working as the hired help?

Greystache
15-10-2010, 05:08 PM
Will the Eagle be working as the hired help?

Pre-season, SOO, and international rules games count toward the 300 club. I'm almost certain Eagleton has qualified.

LostDoggy
15-10-2010, 05:10 PM
You know what? Aker is the biggest spud going around. He still doesn't get it. Sherman has done the wrong thing and the situation has been addressed and a correction put in place. Same thing was applied to Aker with Leading Teams. If only he had listened and pulled his head in in the first meeting it may not have ended in tears. But the guy thinks its ok for Sherman to say silly things and the powers that be at the club should let him have his opinion. Well Aker that's what got you into trouble....don't you understand, it's not appropriate behaviour from a professional sportsman who is answerable to the people who employ him......der!!!!!!!!

LostDoggy
15-10-2010, 05:54 PM
I feel sorry for his wife and children. How could you live with such a wanker.

Me too!

Bulldog4life
15-10-2010, 06:00 PM
A little man with a very little brain and an enormous chip on his shoulder. Get over it Aker!

Dancin' Douggy
15-10-2010, 06:21 PM
The boy who cried 'WOLF' and 'TIGER AND LION AND PANTHER AND WEREWOLF AND DRACULA AND HUGE MONSTER WITH GIANT FANGS AND TWENTY ARMS AND A THOUSAND EYES AND.......... You get my drift.

Aker, No one is listening anymore.

Mitcha
15-10-2010, 07:23 PM
Poor form Bulldogs, how dare they take away anyone's freedom of speech.
Maybe Acnemanis would be happier if our club was full of Drunks, Druggies and Sex offenders. Its no coincedence that our club has been one of the best behaved club off the ground for a long time possibly because our leaders are proactive in trying to prevent issues becoming bigger than they would normally. Shut your mouth you boring little gimp.

Dancin' Douggy
15-10-2010, 07:52 PM
It will be interesting to see if Aker calls for the resignation of the next president that asks a player to retract, or back down from, public statements.

Curly5
15-10-2010, 09:08 PM
The thing is, he knows that he can say whatever he likes about our club, anytime something even faintly newsworthy comes up, because there are (still) a lot of morons out there who sympathise with him (even some of our own supporters :eek:) and the feedback he would get would just make him feel even more the victim and therefore justified in his vendetta. Plus he NEEDS to justify his perceived role in the media, which is now his only livelihood, so he's never going to shut up, I'm afraid.

What we need to do is get some dirt on him for a change... any suggestions?

jeemak
16-10-2010, 12:53 AM
Get used to it. Both of Melbourne's papers struggle for stories and controversy, particularly during the off season. The HUN will enflame anything the Bulldog's do that could be brought into question by Aker, The Age will pick up the story the following day.

No matter what the Bulldogs do next year, Aker will be the first person called. Win, lose or draw. He'll have his pot shots, he'll get his column in the little paper and he'll get a spot or two on SEN. But rest assured, he knows what he can or can't say about the Bulldogs. He tested the water after his sacking and outed himself as a toothless tiger, his book is full of fluff and incoherrent rants for a reason. The man is shallow, pigheaded and ignorant. More and more people are realising this.

Dry Rot
16-10-2010, 01:31 AM
While I hardly think that everything the Club does is perfect, IMO I cannot recall a time in 12 years of supporting the Dogs when the Club has been so professionally run as now.

Sherman shot his mouth off, and the Club's reaction is textbook perfect IMO.

IIRC there is some great old quote about today's newspaper news being tomorrow's fish and chip wrapper - you Aker are rotting old fish 'n chips in an old newspaper in a stinky old bin somewhere.

EasternWest
16-10-2010, 12:15 PM
Pre-season, SOO, and international rules games count toward the 300 club. I'm almost certain Eagleton has qualified.

Fair enough. I bow to your superior knowledge. :)

Flamethrower
16-10-2010, 01:37 PM
IMHO Justin has fallen victim to the bottom feeding, manipulative, word bending media scum.

When I listened to Justin's interviews at his presser and on SEN I didn't interpret it as an attack on the culture at the Brisbane Lions. It was a more a comment on the inability of the Lions playing group to overcome the adversity that beset the team in 2010, unlike his new team who still made a Preliminary Final despite all that went on with the Akermanis saga etc.

I was a little taken back by Justin calling himself a "great player" - he either forgot to say the word potentially in all his excitement, or meant grate as in how his inconsistency in performance wears on his coaches, teammates and supporters.

Aker's attack on Justin, the Bulldogs and Smorgo are unfounded and immature, and quite frankly I can't believe the media are still giving "the time of day" to this petulant little boy.

Doc26
16-10-2010, 01:53 PM
IMHO Justin has fallen victim to the bottom feeding, manipulative, word bending media scum.

When I listened to Justin's interviews at his presser and on SEN I didn't interpret it as an attack on the culture at the Brisbane Lions. It was a more a comment on the inability of the Lions playing group to overcome the adversity that beset the team in 2010, unlike his new team who still made a Preliminary Final despite all that went on with the Akermanis saga etc.

I was a little taken back by Justin calling himself a "great player" - he either forgot to say the word potentially in all his excitement, or meant grate as in how his inconsistency in performance wears on his coaches, teammates and supporters.

Aker's attack on Justin, the Bulldogs and Smorgo are unfounded and immature, and quite frankly I can't believe the media are still giving "the time of day" to this petulant little boy.

The media are what they are, on the constant prowl for any skerrick of a story that might raise some interest, controversy however small is their safest bet. They are moths to a flame and our best bet is to ensure no spark or embers exist for them to feed upon.

Was interesting listening to Justin's manager this morning say how disappointed and surprised Justin was in how his presser came across, having a crack at his old Club. He apparently was remorseful and it was he who wished to set the record straight with his retraction as it wasn't at all where he had intended it to go. Certainly didn't get the impression that it was a Club driven retraction.

Before I Die
16-10-2010, 02:46 PM
Get used to it. Both of Melbourne's papers struggle for stories and controversy, particularly during the off season. The HUN will enflame anything the Bulldog's do that could be brought into question by Aker, The Age will pick up the story the following day.

No matter what the Bulldogs do next year, Aker will be the first person called. Win, lose or draw. He'll have his pot shots, he'll get his column in the little paper and he'll get a spot or two on SEN. But rest assured, he knows what he can or can't say about the Bulldogs. He tested the water after his sacking and outed himself as a toothless tiger, his book is full of fluff and incoherrent rants for a reason. The man is shallow, pigheaded and ignorant. More and more people are realising this.

This is going to put a dent in Dougy Hawkins already near to non-existent media profile. Doug didn't always make the smartest comments, but at least he had the good of the club at heart.

BulldogBelle
16-10-2010, 03:06 PM

Correct, Eagleton qualified and is a member of the 300 Club with those additional games added to his match day games.

ledge
16-10-2010, 07:15 PM
This is going to put a dent in Dougy Hawkins already near to non-existent media profile. Doug didn't always make the smartest comments, but at least he had the good of the club at heart.

Agree completely if he said anything against the club it was because he was hurting and wanted improvement, not to destroy the club.

GetDimmaBack
17-10-2010, 10:44 PM
Might be time to pull this thread.

We're giving Aker as much free time here as he gets from the 'papers! :rolleyes:

KT31
17-10-2010, 10:49 PM

We're giving Aker as much free time here as he gets from the 'papers! :rolleyes:

Agree, and think from now on we should make Woof an Aker free zone !

EasternWest
17-10-2010, 10:51 PM

Agree, and think from now on we should make Woof an Aker free zone !

This and this.

Doc26
18-10-2010, 09:04 PM
Cross threading but how about an 'Aker' jar fundraiser ?
$1 in for whoever mentions his name again.
All proceeds going to the Club.
Debt bulldozed by year end.