PDA

View Full Version : Embracing the past

w3design
15-10-2010, 11:10 AM
Hi guys,

I have written a piece on the possibility of a jumper change for our club.

Would appreciate your views and feedback below

http://www.thebigtip.com.au/afl/embracing-past
Embracing the Past
by Angus Dearlove

Australian Rules Football is a sport steeped in tradition. Each club has its own roots which endear it to its supporter base.

The Western Bulldogs Football Club is no exception.

Despite a glaring lack of success, with one premiership since the club’s 1925 admittance into the VFL, the Bulldogs are synonymous with Melbourne’s western suburbs.

From 1883 to today the colours red white and blue have been worn by such legends as Ted Whitten, Charlie Sutton, Doug Hawkins and Chris Grant.

Until the 1997 season, the club was known as Footscray and wore a uniform simply consisting of the three colours. Red, White and Blue.

From 1997 onwards the club has been branded the Western Bulldogs. This was to expand the brand to the wider market of Western Melbourne rather than just the single suburb of Footscray.

With the name change a new guernsey was made, essentially the same as before but with a stylised Bulldogs logo adorning the front.

Now there is a growing murmur among fans about the discarding of the Bulldogs logo on the Guernsey and returning to a more classic look.

Dean Bryden, whose grandfather Dave Bryden was one of Footscray’s best players in their 1954 premiership win, is one such supporter who believes a guernsey change is the right thing to do...

read the full article at: http://www.thebigtip.com.au/afl/embracing-past

chef
15-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Not for me. I love the 'robot dog' on the jumper and changing our name to the 'Western Bulldogs' was one of the smartest things we have ever done and helped ensurer our survival. I would prefer to keep things how they are because they are obviously working and this is what we are now as a club.

Also I think the current jumper is more appealing to children, which is very important as this is where our future support comes from.

Curly5
15-10-2010, 11:40 AM
I'm not against the idea of a simplified jumper, and maybe the dog one on the clash jumper. I'd be totally against any name change though.

It's "follow suit", not "suite". Cheers.

w3design
15-10-2010, 11:48 AM
It's "follow suit", not "suite". Cheers.

DAMN IT!

FWIW- I never mentioned anything about a name change, this is purely about a simplified jumper.

mjp
15-10-2010, 11:52 AM
I don't like the robot dog and am happiest with a blue jumper that has one red and one white horizontal stripe. I don't really think we need to get too focused on this though - the jumper has changed numerous times throughout the years and I am sure it will continue to do so.

I don't want to revisit the Western Bulldogs vs Footscray name thing ever again. It brings up too many negative emotions in too many people. We are the FFC trading as the WB and that is that.

Topdog
15-10-2010, 11:55 AM
“It’s about tradition and showing respect to players who have given a lot to the club,” Bryden said.

“When I think of all the greats who have played for the club I think of that jumper”.

What about when he thinks of Grant, West and Johnson?

Greystache
15-10-2010, 11:59 AM
I don't like the robot dog and am happiest with a blue jumper that has one red and one white horizontal stripe. I don't really think we need to get too focused on this though

That's my preferred jumper too, but like you I think it's mere detail.

1eyedog
15-10-2010, 11:59 AM
I don't like the robot dog and am happiest with a blue jumper that has one red and one white horizontal stripe. I don't really think we need to get too focused on this though - the jumper has changed numerous times throughout the years and I am sure it will continue to do so.

I don't want to revisit the Western Bulldogs vs Footscray name thing ever again. It brings up too many negative emotions in too many people. We are the FFC trading as the WB and that is that.

^^^^^^^^^^

Doc26
15-10-2010, 12:19 PM
I would support any initiative to get that bleedin dog's head off our guernsey, it's totally naff and juvenile. The only good thing about it is that it saves my family some $$$ being restricted to about ~ .5% of Bulldog merchandise simply because of the loathing for that symbol.

As for the name I'm OK with Western Bulldogs.

comrade
15-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Like Doc26, I try and avoid any merchandise that features Robodog but I buy everything I can get my hands on that features the vintage imagery.

I'd definitely support the wearing of a 'heritage' style jumper.

The Coon Dog
15-10-2010, 12:32 PM
I'd definitely support the wearing of a 'heritage' style jumper.

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/3338702.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921F7C3FC3F69D929FD3D6E8E24F8AD364CC8CDCFE369 28A7ACFC4259AF77DEC9B890F55034CEB503EE

Greystache
15-10-2010, 12:33 PM
http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/3338702.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921F7C3FC3F69D929FD3D6E8E24F8AD364CC8CDCFE369 28A7ACFC4259AF77DEC9B890F55034CEB503EE

Is it just me or do the stripes on that jumper look a bit thicker than the traditional jumper? :confused:

w3design
15-10-2010, 12:34 PM
Love that picture.

Doc26
15-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Is it just me or do the stripes on that jumper look a bit thicker than the traditional jumper? :confused:

Love that picture.

As has been said many times before that's one decent guernsey TCD. Here's hoping, no praying, we're holding a premiership cup aloft with that fine specimen and not with something that resembles some naff evil Pacman or Mario character.

LostDoggy
15-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Looks sensational on Grant

LostDoggy
15-10-2010, 12:43 PM
I must be in the minority, but I love our current jumper - dog and all.

Hotdog60
15-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Looks sensational on Grant

God I miss Chris, what a champion.

Sorry got all mushy with some man love.:o

LostDoggy
15-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Not for me. I love the 'robot dog' on the jumper and changing our name to the 'Western Bulldogs' was one of the smartest things we have ever done and helped ensurer our survival. I would prefer to keep things how they are because they are obviously working and this is what we are now as a club.

Also I think the current jumper is more appealing to children, which is very important as this is where our future support comes from.

I agree 100%, epecially the "Western Bulldogs", agree it helped save us.

Remi Moses
15-10-2010, 04:02 PM

I'd love to go back to that guernsey,keep the name though.
Yuck that was one horrid day in the Rohde nightmare:(

mighty_west
15-10-2010, 05:23 PM
Definatly in favour of wearing the old strip, and perhaps even looking at changing our logo as well and finally see the end of robo "yawning cat" dog, let's get a more classy yet traditonal look going on, really like the Demons new look.

LostDoggy
15-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Honestly I don't really support this jumper change if it were to happen, and not because I bought a new guernsey during the final series.
Reading Johnno's book (which is my bible at the moment) its mentioned that the reason we changed name, logos, image, guernsey etc etc in '97 is because we needed the club to be refreshed. We were almost bankrupt, needed money and this was the only way of getting out of the hole.
I think this current guernsey we have is sentimental in a way which shows how we got ourselves out of the hole and are a successful football club (bar the premiership jynx) and are not the ''Battling Bulldogs'' off the field as we once were.
Refer to the chapter ''Bulldogs, Not Brands''

DOG GOD
15-10-2010, 06:31 PM

Totally agree with Chef on this one. I LOVE the jumper atm and i certainly agree it would appeal with the younger generation more than the traditional one. Re: the name, changing it to The Western Bulldogs was one of the best things the club ever did.

LostDoggy
15-10-2010, 06:54 PM

Me too. Vote 1 Robot Dog!

LostDoggy
15-10-2010, 07:26 PM

That is one of the best jumpers I've seen. Bring it back and Chris come back with it :D

LostDoggy
15-10-2010, 07:34 PM

Honestly I don't really support this jumper change if it were to happen, and not because I bought a new guernsey during the final series.
Reading Johnno's book (which is my bible at the moment) its mentioned that the reason we changed name, logos, image, guernsey etc etc in '97 is because we needed the club to be refreshed. We were almost bankrupt, needed money and this was the only way of getting out of the hole.
I think this current guernsey we have is sentimental in a way which shows how we got ourselves out of the hole and are a successful football club (bar the premiership jynx) and are not the ''Battling Bulldogs'' off the field as we once were.
Refer to the chapter ''Bulldogs, Not Brands''

Didnt see you post chef...Pretty much along the same lines anyway..

chef
15-10-2010, 07:48 PM
Didnt see you post chef...Pretty much along the same lines anyway..

Great minds think alike:).

Dancin' Douggy
15-10-2010, 08:13 PM
I'm torn between tradition and survival.

I think, long term, it would be a good decision to revert back to the classic Dog's guernsey.

And we fight tooth and nail for it the same way Collingwood does with their guernsey.

Port Power and the Dockers have both realised that the more gimmicky and over designed a guernsey is, the less weight it carries. No matter whether you like or dislike the bulldog head it was designed in a certain era and it will eventually go out of style. It will become obsolete.

The jumper should be like a national flag. It's beyond 'design' and 'market appeal'.
It's simple, bold powerful and ETERNAL.

It should just seem to exist without anyone knowing who designed it or where it came from.

The name? I have to agree with the name change.
Western Bulldogs saved us I believe.
If we have 50,000 members and put it to a vote and the vote is for the club to be called Footscray then fine.

Until then...... Western Bulldogs playing in the '54 guernsey.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-10-2010, 09:25 PM
Most know I'm very much for it.

Bring back the red shorts too.

The outfit we used v Port Adelaide in the '07 heritage game is perfect.

LostDoggy
15-10-2010, 10:48 PM

What he said.

comrade
16-10-2010, 11:53 AM
Imagine if we bring back the heritage style jumper and have Wallis, Liberatore, Cordy, Hunter and Beasley running around in it.

Talk about embracing the past.

craigsahibee
16-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Lace up jumpers anyone??

immortalmike
16-10-2010, 04:57 PM
I'm not really fond of the robo-dog to be honest. It reminds me of a mid 90s corporate logo, so anything the takes it off our jumper I support.

On the name change issue, I have well and truly gotten over the anger and resentment I felt when it happened and I'm not advocating a change back. But those who think that our current relatively prosperous situation has anything to do with the name 'Western' are kidding themselves and not giving enough credit to Campbell Rose and the relative success of our side in the last few years.

Members didn't exactly flock in 97-00 due to the name change, the little that did come, came due to our on field success and our exciting play style. We almost folded in 2003-04 with the lowest membership in the league and I don't remember being called Footscray then.

It is simple success breeds support, there is a reason that despite being called Collingwood, the Magpies have supporters all over the country (a fair amount of them in West Melbourne) and some of the best major sponsors of any AFL club, and it's the same with Carlton and Essendon.

It's not like being called Footscray made us less of a Western suburbs team, in fact an argument could be made that it serves this purpose better than the moniker 'Western' as at least looking up Footscray comes up with a suburb in the west of Melbourne whereas Western encompasses places like Western Australia or Western Sydney before western Melbourne.

But as I said before I believe the horse has bolted on the name issue, I just dislike the revisionist history on display. If you like the name, that's odd but cool just don't try to convince me or others that it's what saved the club in the mid-90s.

Although, what it may do now is a whole different story as I think it is a perfect bargaining tool with the AFL, in that they have realised that the West is one of the fastest growing regions of Australia, so they can be convinced that having us around in our current form would be advantageous.

Overall, to get back on topic I think changing our jumper back may be a good way of bridging the gap between the club and those who are still caught offside by the name change and I think that can only be a good thing. Also it may make our club feel less corporate to not have a weird logo to go along with our trading name.

bornadog
16-10-2010, 05:30 PM

Great Jumper

Drunken Bum
16-10-2010, 05:31 PM
^^^This

perfectly summed up

Edit: i was referring to immortal mike's post but the above post fits too

LongWait
16-10-2010, 08:21 PM
Love the '54 strip. I say keep Robo-dog for merchandising purposes and as the mascot but not on the jumper. The Chris Grant picture earlier in the thread epitomises what I'd like to see as our playing strip from now on.

The move to revert to the 1954 style strip is completely independent of any discussion of the club name. Let's not confuse the two issues.

Doggy
16-10-2010, 09:36 PM
That is one of the best jumpers I've seen. Bring it back and Chris come back with it :D

Love this jumper. Just needs blue arm bands instead of red. The v neck should be red with a thin stripe of white.

Dancin' Douggy
16-10-2010, 10:12 PM
Love this jumper. Just needs blue arm bands instead of red. The v neck should be red with a thin stripe of white.

Yep you're dead right.
Even just red for the v neck would do.

Sockeye Salmon
16-10-2010, 10:21 PM
I'm not really fond of the robo-dog to be honest. It reminds me of a mid 90s corporate logo, so anything the takes it off our jumper I support.

On the name change issue, I have well and truly gotten over the anger and resentment I felt when it happened and I'm not advocating a change back. But those who think that our current relatively prosperous situation has anything to do with the name 'Western' are kidding themselves and not giving enough credit to Campbell Rose and the relative success of our side in the last few years.

Members didn't exactly flock in 97-00 due to the name change, the little that did come, came due to our on field success and our exciting play style. We almost folded in 2003-04 with the lowest membership in the league and I don't remember being called Footscray then.

It is simple success breeds support, there is a reason that despite being called Collingwood, the Magpies have supporters all over the country (a fair amount of them in West Melbourne) and some of the best major sponsors of any AFL club, and it's the same with Carlton and Essendon.

It's not like being called Footscray made us less of a Western suburbs team, in fact an argument could be made that it serves this purpose better than the moniker 'Western' as at least looking up Footscray comes up with a suburb in the west of Melbourne whereas Western encompasses places like Western Australia or Western Sydney before western Melbourne.

But as I said before I believe the horse has bolted on the name issue, I just dislike the revisionist history on display. If you like the name, that's odd but cool just don't try to convince me or others that it's what saved the club in the mid-90s.

Although, what it may do now is a whole different story as I think it is a perfect bargaining tool with the AFL, in that they have realised that the West is one of the fastest growing regions of Australia, so they can be convinced that having us around in our current form would be advantageous.

Overall, to get back on topic I think changing our jumper back may be a good way of bridging the gap between the club and those who are still caught offside by the name change and I think that can only be a good thing. Also it may make our club feel less corporate to not have a weird logo to go along with our trading name.

Wayne Carey, a couple of premierships and 10 years of finals didn't help North.

Success certainly helps but there's a whole lot more to it than just that. No-one can quantify how many extra members signed on due to the name change, but the arguement that "Footscray" conjured up images of drug dealers was true. I've no idea if that is still the case - I wouldn't be caught dead in Footscray - but perception is reality and most people still think of Footscray that way.

GVGjr
16-10-2010, 10:25 PM

That's the one we should be wearing

Remi Moses
16-10-2010, 11:31 PM
Some parts of Footscray you wouldn't be caught dead in. Then you wouldn't be caught dead in areas of plenty of suburbs! Just keep the name as it is,we've got a whole generation who know us as the Western Bulldogs.The Western region is going gangbusters in population growth,I've never seen so many youngsters wear our colors .It's up to the club to get
Into the schools and spread the dare I say it "brand"

immortalmike
17-10-2010, 06:51 AM
Wayne Carey, a couple of premierships and 10 years of finals didn't help North.

Success certainly helps but there's a whole lot more to it than just that. No-one can quantify how many extra members signed on due to the name change, but the arguement that "Footscray" conjured up images of drug dealers was true. I've no idea if that is still the case - I wouldn't be caught dead in Footscray - but perception is reality and most people still think of Footscray that way.

North squandered their opportunities by alienating their fanbase (by changing their name to attract a broader market oddly enough) and having the biggest bunch of morons I've ever seen in charge of the club's finances and marketing. Couple that with only having a small inner suburb as their base and you have their current predicament. We have and always did have the whole west as our base, we just haven't had the success to capitalize on it.

On the whole Footscray-drug dealer issue. I live in West Footscray and probably walk around middle Footscray once or twice a week and while the drug situation was bad at on stage, nowadays I rarely see anything worse than a few bad drivers and a few homeless people wanting a buck or two, whereas I've been to Collingwood and Richmond a handful of times this year and each time I have seen either a drug deal, a fight or police arresting someone. Hey, Footscray is hardly a beautiful area but it's no worse than Richmond, Collingwood, and much better than the city when it comes to crime, junkies and dealers. The funny thing is Footscray is undergoing a yuppiefication the likes of I haven't seen since they started building million dollar monstrosities in Maribyrnong and started calling it Edgewater. And to be honest I prefer the dealers, at least they're honest about being pricks.

Oh and it's fair enough if you wouldn't be caught dead in Footscray, there are parts of Melbourne I wouldn't be caught dead in also. Toorak, Templestowe, or Hawthorn for example.

Anyway, I've derailed this thread enough with my nonsense. Carry on ladies and gents.

The Pie Man
17-10-2010, 07:51 AM

That they do! We wore another version of the heritage guernsey against Carlton in 09 (complete with black shorts!) that was much closer to the 54 top with skinnier hoops.

Still a great jumper (both of the heritage ones that is)

chef
17-10-2010, 07:49 PM

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHlQ7rhoXoXpHsM823Wvsiyfymfq54a

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkr4FOu-4kV3ckbp_ip72aR68kxg3L2ITo6w-sNQrLXnYMyrc&t=1&usg=__aOyt5s1cIMS_j0B6qAX33u-IQDA=

chef
17-10-2010, 07:51 PM
http://blogs.abc.net.au/grandstand/images/2008/04/11/chris_grant.jpg

Still think he looks best in this, to me anyway.

By then again Granty looks awesome in anything RW&B.

EasternWest
17-10-2010, 10:52 PM
Still think he looks best in this, to me anyway.

By then again Granty looks awesome in anything RW&B.

Geez there's some Grant love going on. What did that guy ever do?:D

The Coon Dog
17-10-2010, 11:17 PM

I doubt you could ever find a Bulldog supporter who would have a bad word to say about Chris Grant. Quite simply, one of the most sincere people you could ever wish to meet.

EasternWest
17-10-2010, 11:34 PM
I doubt you could ever find a Bulldog supporter who would have a bad word to say about Chris Grant. Quite simply, one of the most sincere people you could ever wish to meet.

I'm sure you recognise I was taking the mickey.

FWIW I'm totally with you. I don't mean to wander too far off thread, but I wonder if anyone here has ever had an encounter with CG that didn't meet expectations?

KT31
18-10-2010, 12:11 AM

I remember at one game Chris was on the boundary and a Mum yelled out to Chris "I want to have your babies", followed by a, male, Woof contributer yelling out "me too".:D

Dazza
18-10-2010, 02:57 PM

Same.

The Pie Man
18-10-2010, 04:15 PM

I'm preaching to the choir, but I feel like reminiscing

The KP in the comp I enjoyed watching the most at his peak - ridiculously skilled both sides of his body, hitting targets like an elite midfielder.

I know he nearly (should've) won Charlie in 96 from CHB, though 97-99 he and Carey were the dominant CHF's on the game - I look back on the comparison like I do with the Waugh twins....hear me out

Duck was more effective - like Steve with the better average. Turtle was much better to watch at his peak - like Mark.

I've never met him, but he comes accross as good a bloke as he was a player, and everyone on here concurs so it's safe to say it's true. I was shattered when he retired, and am very happy he's still around the club

craigsahibee
18-10-2010, 09:55 PM
I feel privileged to have been able to witness his entire career. Oozes quality.

KT31
18-10-2010, 10:58 PM
I feel privileged to have been able to witness his entire career. Oozes quality.

This.

LostDoggy
19-10-2010, 11:16 AM
I'm preaching to the choir, but I feel like reminiscing

The KP in the comp I enjoyed watching the most at his peak - ridiculously skilled both sides of his body, hitting targets like an elite midfielder.

I know he nearly (should've) won Charlie in 96 from CHB, though 97-99 he and Carey were the dominant CHF's on the game - I look back on the comparison like I do with the Waugh twins....hear me out

Duck was more effective - like Steve with the better average. Turtle was much better to watch at his peak - like Mark.

I've never met him, but he comes accross as good a bloke as he was a player, and everyone on here concurs so it's safe to say it's true. I was shattered when he retired, and am very happy he's still around the club

completely agree - the thing I get frustrated about is when you explain this to non-bulldogs supporters. Many uneducated footy supporters have scoffed when I make the comparison of Carey and Grant in the same sentence, but seeing Grant in 97/98 where he completely dominated week after week was almost unrivalled in that era (apart from Carey).

I know I am biased but if he had a larger persona or played for a "big" club he would be regularly placed in the same bracket as Hird, Voss, Buckley & Duck. Maybe the lack of premiership hurts his legacy, but it doesn't seem to have done much harm to Buckley's legacy.

I suppose I can be content that he is our Robbie Flower...

LostDoggy
19-10-2010, 11:54 AM
I know I am biased but if he had a larger persona or played for a "big" club he would be regularly placed in the same bracket as Hird, Voss, Buckley & Duck. Maybe the lack of premiership hurts his legacy, but it doesn't seem to have done much harm to Buckley's legacy.

Buckley doesn't remotely belong in that group -- if he played for anyone other than Collingwood he would be remembered as Mark Ricciuto is, a gun player, not a legend of the game. Buckley doesn't deserve to tie Chris's shoelaces (Granty had all of Buckley's kicking skill plus a whole raft of other things, and had him covered for match influence as well), but that's objectivity for you. Hird and Voss are another story -- they're pretty unique types, and Vossy brought a lot to the team other than just his skill, not that any of it has translated into coaching, mind you.

Sockeye Salmon
19-10-2010, 12:09 PM
Buckley doesn't remotely belong in that group -- if he played for anyone other than Collingwood he would be remembered as Mark Ricciuto is, a gun player, not a legend of the game. Buckley doesn't deserve to tie Chris's shoelaces (Granty had all of Buckley's kicking skill plus a whole raft of other things, and had him covered for match influence as well), but that's objectivity for you. Hird and Voss are another story -- they're pretty unique types, and Vossy brought a lot to the team other than just his skill, not that any of it has translated into coaching, mind you.

I don't agree about Buckley at all. He was a star.

Hird is easily the most over-rated of that group.

LostDoggy
19-10-2010, 12:16 PM
I don't agree about Buckley at all. He was a star.

Hird is easily the most over-rated of that group.

Why do you think this? Certainly he was injury-prone for much of his career, but he did pull some matches out of his butt. Having said that, I can see what you mean -- I thought he was a blowhard too, and pretty soft, until he started really influencing games later in his career, and I appreciate a good footy brain: he's basically Murph-plus.

Vision is also a highly underrated and rare commodity, and he had it in spades.

Bucks not overrated? Then Ricciuto, Paul Kelly and Brent Harvey are legends too.

Sockeye Salmon
19-10-2010, 01:08 PM
Why do you think this? Certainly he was injury-prone for much of his career, but he did pull some matches out of his butt. Having said that, I can see what you mean -- I thought he was a blowhard too, and pretty soft, until he started really influencing games later in his career, and I appreciate a good footy brain: he's basically Murph-plus.

Vision is also a highly underrated and rare commodity, and he had it in spades.

Bucks not overrated? Then Ricciuto, Paul Kelly and Brent Harvey are legends too.

Buckley/Grant/R. Harvey/Ricciuto > Hird >>>>> Kelly/B. Harvey/Archer

At his absolute best Koutafides was better than all of them, but he only ever did it three times.

Desipura
19-10-2010, 02:38 PM
Buckley/Grant/R. Harvey/Ricciuto > Hird >>>>> Kelly/B. Harvey/Archer

At his absolute best Koutafides was better than all of them, but he only ever did it three times.

Buckley, Hird, Grant, throw a blanket over the rest. Kouta had one break out year, hence why he was overpaid for his remaining years.
Ablett, Carey Lockett & Dunstall to name just a few had more infuence on a game than the above. No coincedence they were all forwards who kicked goals

LostDoggy
19-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Not that I've read ll the posts but I think the bulldog should be bigger on some things. E.g this year the bulldog was huge on the Breast Cancer training jumpers. Ever since they elongated Robodog to make it look meaner it has improved. It's much better than the logo before that one which I never really liked as it reminds me of the dog face you learn to draw in primary school.

I think you'll find that jumpers will always change and that this is benficial in that supporters buy more jumpers which raises funds for the club, and even the jumper will change year to year subtley so fans keep buying more. Keeps a healthy bank balance

Back to my suggestion of a Massive bulldog that is amost the size of the jumper itself would be good as a once or twice a year thing. He's looks vicious old "Robodog." This year I purchased about four jumpers including the reproduction First 18 54 grand final jumper. I'm a sucker for any jumper variations they produce and also love the old school look that is devoid of all sponsors. Its nice to see that stuff removed every now and again and remind us of where we've come from. My canterbury jumper form the late 90's with full arms is testament to that and more of a July game attending jumper.

But to the future the more variations the better. Hopefully next year I can successfully bid on the framed variations signed jumpers at the "Night with the trainers" function.

LostDoggy
23-10-2010, 10:48 AM
I was raised on a diet of a red hoop on a white hoop on a royal blue jumper,
But I love my team regardless of what they wear, hessian sacks would not turn me off, but pink lycra would seriously question my faith.

LostDoggy
23-10-2010, 12:43 PM
I was raised on a diet of a red hoop on a white hoop on a royal blue jumper,
But I love my team regardless of what they wear, hessian sacks would not turn me off, but pink lycra would seriously question my faith.

The West Village Bulldogs.

Twodogs
24-10-2010, 11:14 AM
I'm sure you recognise I was taking the mickey.

FWIW I'm totally with you. I don't mean to wander too far off thread, but I wonder if anyone here has ever had an encounter with CG that didn't meet expectations?

He exceeded my expectations the first time I met him. Does that count?

LostDoggy
26-10-2010, 10:21 PM
The West Village Bulldogs.

There's a thought. Who would be who? New thread here! Thanks Lantern! :D;)

LostDoggy
27-10-2010, 01:20 PM
I'm all for the “Robodog” as some call it, on our logo and marketing. I might be biased, but I think it's the best logo in the AFL, along with Essendon's and Collingwood's as close seconds, as it's “marketable” and very, very identifiable. As a brand (and don't be turned off by that word, even people are brands) the Robodog is spotted and associated immediately. It is never mistaken for anything other than the Bulldogs logo, and is highly visible from all distances.

On the flip side, I don't think it belongs on our jumper, at least, not where it is. I'd like to see a return to the '54 hoops, with the Robodog logo at the base of the player numbers.

One side note: If we embrace the current “retro” trend of “acknowledging the past”, when the trend turns to looking forward instead of back, will changing the jumper again from the '54 design, for example, be more painful and difficult to garner support for? Is a reversion a one-way street?

GVGjr
27-10-2010, 01:23 PM
I'm all for the “Robodog” as some call it, on our logo and marketing. I might be biased, but I think it's the best logo in the AFL, along with Essendon's and Collingwood's as close seconds, as it's “marketable” and very, very identifiable. As a brand (and don't be turned off by that word, even people are brands) the Robodog is spotted and associated immediately. It is never mistaken for anything other than the Bulldogs logo, and is highly visible from all distances.

On the flip side, I don't think it belongs on our jumper, at least, not where it is. I'd like to see a return to the '54 hoops, with the Robodog logo at the base of the player numbers.

The dog emblem in itself isn't a bad one but I agree that it doesn't really belong on the jumper for all games.

The Pie Man
27-10-2010, 03:54 PM
^^^^

Further to this - similar to the St Kilda & Collingwood format, would we like the logo to appear near the sponsor badge, and just have hoops through the middle?

LostDoggy
27-10-2010, 06:45 PM
Might be going off a tangent here.
But the club has asked the supporters to do a survey on its website regarding not necessarily the club's brand and image, but how brand affect us everyday, and if we notice different images for different companies and organisations.
By the vibe of the questions, I think they're trying to see if the supporters would like to change the brand of the club.
Anyone else do the survey?

LostDoggy
28-10-2010, 10:02 AM
Might be going off a tangent here.
But the club has asked the supporters to do a survey on its website regarding not necessarily the club's brand and image, but how brand affect us everyday, and if we notice different images for different companies and organisations.
By the vibe of the questions, I think they're trying to see if the supporters would like to change the brand of the club.
Anyone else do the survey?

I did the survey. They said it was “brief”, it was 40 bloody questions, but I didn't mind so much, thought they were asking important questions, especially IRT social media, in which area we are years behind other clubs.

^^^^

Further to this - similar to the St Kilda & Collingwood format, would we like the logo to appear near the sponsor badge, and just have hoops through the middle?

I like that idea, but I don't see that our club, in our position, would ever restrict the size of sponsor logos unless absolutely necessary. It's easier for Collingwood — the Bulldogs need to offer a sponsor an uncluttered area for their logo to stand out, further maximising the spend they can expect from a sponsor for that right. If their logo is relegated to a spot just beneath ours, might sour the deal.

In fact, if I remember right, didn't we get in trouble from the AFL for having the sponsor logo too large and had to re-do the design?

Sedat
28-10-2010, 02:11 PM
In fact, if I remember right, didn't we get in trouble from the AFL for having the sponsor logo too large and had to re-do the design?
Melbourne dobbed us in because we beat them to the Mission sponsorship. They also cut our lunch with regard to official involvement with the Australian Women's Football League, a relathionship that I recall Susan Alberti had a huge hand in fostering and developing in the first place.

LostDoggy
28-10-2010, 02:49 PM
Melbourne dobbed us in because we beat them to the Mission sponsorship. They also cut our lunch with regard to official involvement with the Australian Women's Football League, a relathionship that I recall Susan Alberti had a huge hand in fostering and developing in the first place.

All's fair in love and war... if we were too slow or inept to capitalise on the headstart of a significant personal relationship we only have ourselves to blame, just as no quarter was given in beating Melbourne to Mission. With the survival of the club at stake I hope we are desperate enough to land all our opportunities instead of complaining about others being more resourceful or better organised to take advantage of them.

Sedat
28-10-2010, 04:39 PM
All's fair in love and war... if we were too slow or inept to capitalise on the headstart of a significant personal relationship we only have ourselves to blame, just as no quarter was given in beating Melbourne to Mission. With the survival of the club at stake I hope we are desperate enough to land all our opportunities instead of complaining about others being more resourceful or better organised to take advantage of them.
I think in this case it wasn't as though we hadn't already secured the opportunity, but I think a little Demon behind the scenes skullduggery meant that they effectively bribed their way to the opportunity at our expense - happy to be corrected by those in the know.

LostDoggy
28-10-2010, 06:51 PM
I think in this case it wasn't as though we hadn't already secured the opportunity, but I think a little Demon behind the scenes skullduggery meant that they effectively bribed their way to the opportunity at our expense - happy to be corrected by those in the know.

See "all's fair in love and war". :)

If it wasn't illegal per se, it was just resourcefulness. Unethical, perhaps, which is a more gray area than illegal, and I don't condone it, but hey, if we're going to be uber-ethical then we better advertise the fact that we're playing well above the line and use that as part of our competitive advantage rather than it just being a weight around our neck as others cheat their way around us.

LostDoggy
29-10-2010, 10:16 AM
See "all's fair in love and war". :)

If it wasn't illegal per se, it was just resourcefulness. Unethical, perhaps, which is a more gray area than illegal, and I don't condone it, but hey, if we're going to be uber-ethical then we better advertise the fact that we're playing well above the line and use that as part of our competitive advantage rather than it just being a weight around our neck as others cheat their way around us.

Yep, happens with every sales organisation in every part of the world.