PDA

View Full Version : Picken in international rules squad

Grantysghost
19-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Hadn't seen this mentioned anywhere so here tis... Picken is in the international rules squad reported in this irish times article which is interesting with its different perspective.

Few of the Irish lads better move quickly lest they be caught by Picks! :D

Article here (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/1019/1224281442390.html)

Greystache
19-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Great reward for Liam, it's amazing how far he's come in such a short time. I'm not sure his inclusion will do much to reduce the chance of violence in the games however. ;)

Grantysghost
19-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Great reward for Liam, it's amazing how far he's come in such a short time. I'm not sure his inclusion will do much to reduce the chance of violence in the games however. ;)

Ha no good point, will make me tune in for sure if he gets a gig though!

LostDoggy
19-10-2010, 01:26 PM
When did Pickers become a 'defender'?

Bulldog Revolution
19-10-2010, 04:45 PM
I saw his inclusion and thought good for you Liam Picken

Like most other supporters he is a player we love, gives it absolutely everything he has

comrade
19-10-2010, 04:59 PM
Picko will crush the Irish.

LostDoggy
19-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Reward? I don't want any of our players there. Instead of resting and preparing for the next season, he is going to Ireland to play a stupid hybrid game no one really cares that just increases his chances of getting injured.

chef
19-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Whens it on and is it televised?

Rocco Jones
19-10-2010, 07:17 PM
Reward? I don't want any of our players there. Instead of resting and preparing for the next season, he is going to Ireland to play a stupid hybrid game no one really cares that just increases his chances of getting injured.

While I can understand that view, it is also a very shortsighted one. He gets the experience of working under a great coach in Malthouse as well as playing alongside the likes of Goodes, Fletcher, Swan and Rawlings.

I don't think there's too much in it for Cross and Boyd but I feel a player like Picken can get a fair bit out of it.

Grantysghost
19-10-2010, 07:33 PM
Whens it on and is it televised?

Test 1 - Limerick
Sunday 24 October

Channel 7 – 10am Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth
7 TWO – 10am Sydney, Brisbane

Test 2 - Dublin
Sunday 31 October

Channel 7 – 10am Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth
7 TWO – 10am Sydney, Brisbane

Greystache
19-10-2010, 08:10 PM
While I can understand that view, it is also a very shortsighted one. He gets the experience of working under a great coach in Malthouse as well as playing alongside the likes of Goodes, Fletcher, Swan and Rawlings.

I don't think there's too much in it for Cross and Boyd but I feel a player like Picken can get a fair bit out of it.

Agreed.

LostDoggy
19-10-2010, 11:07 PM

If it was Australian Rules then yes I would agree with you but its a ridiculous hybrid game which has little similarities with AFL. Who takes this seriously? Doubt Malthouse is going to divulge anything he can use in the AFL.
Great he gets to have a piss up with Goodesy, Fletch and Swany.

comrade
24-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Whilst I don't have a clue what's happening on field, it's good fun watching Picko, Boydy and Crossy running around.

I haven't seen Picko kill anyone yet but there's still time.

mighty_west
24-10-2010, 02:04 PM

Attendance figures since 2000 averaging around the 50,000 mark would suggest otherwise.

mighty_west
24-10-2010, 02:06 PM
If it was Australian Rules then yes I would agree with you but its a ridiculous hybrid game which has little similarities with AFL. Who takes this seriously? Doubt Malthouse is going to divulge anything he can use in the AFL.

I reckon the players take it pretty seriously [well, apart from Fev, but he's just a tool anyway], once they cross the white line make no mistake, they want to win.

GVGjr
24-10-2010, 02:17 PM

I get the idea of what you are saying but the players are lining to get a spot.
Even if it is that no one else cares it appears the players do.

LostDoggy
24-10-2010, 02:33 PM
I get the idea of what you are saying but the players are lining to get a spot.
Even if it is that no one else cares it appears the players do.

Maybe I should clarify that. Not sure all the Afl players do care. Where's the champions of our game like Ablett, Judd and others in the AA 22? No one really knows what qualifies you as a good international rules player and names like Flecther at 35, Green, Goldsack, Simpson & Wojcinski suggest if you are half keen then you'll get a run.
One wonders how Flecther is the best keeper, only qualification is he has done b4 and was terrible at it.
Malthouse I see picked only 2 pies players even they were the best side and he coached them. I wish Eade coached it then he could pick 0 bulldog players and learn more about some opposition players

GVGjr
24-10-2010, 02:44 PM
Maybe I should clarify that. Not sure all the Afl players do care. Where's the champion of our game like Ablett, Judd and others in the AA 22? No one really knows what qualifies as a good international rules player and names like Flecther at 35, Green, Goldsack Simpson wojcinski suggest if you are half keen then you'll get a run.
What qualifies fletcher as the best Aussie keeper apart from doing it before because he was terrible as one in the past. Malthouse I see picked only 2 pies player even the were the best side and he coached them. I wish eade coached it then he could pick 0 bulldog players and learn more about some opposition players

It's a good point but I remember talking to Rohan Smith years ago and he thought it was a great experience. Some of the best players aren't suited to the game so it will never be the best AFL side representing our code.

The game is what it is, an experience and a chance to get a mixture of players from most sides together and see how they perform to using a round ball and a different set of rules.

It doesn't pretend to be a great spectacle but I don't mind watching it.

Remi Moses
24-10-2010, 02:47 PM
No interest in beating up on Pub Workers,Posties !
Waste of time IMHO

LostDoggy
24-10-2010, 05:00 PM
I watched the game ths morning and thought that of our boys Cross actually looked the most accomplished, he also dobbed one from about 45 out leading me to wish he might do that more often with an AFL ball.

One thing I did not like was seeing Mick walking out right behind Picken, probably muttering in his ear the whole way about there being a spot for him at Collingwood....sorry a bit paranoid there.

LostDoggy
24-10-2010, 06:43 PM
To me the risks out way the experience of playing a meaningless game.

LostDoggy
24-10-2010, 08:09 PM
Knowing the match doesnt count for much, i'm pleased to see all 3 Bulldog players named under the Best column on the AFL website.

KT31
24-10-2010, 11:40 PM
I watched the game ths morning and thought that of our boys Cross actually looked the most accomplished, he also dobbed one from about 45 out leading me to wish he might do that more often with an AFL ball.

One thing I did not like was seeing Mick walking out right behind Picken, probably muttering in his ear the whole way about there being a spot for him at Collingwood....sorry a bit paranoid there.

Imagine Picken would have turned around and said "you should have picked me father son instead of the dud Cloke family, so p@%s off !:)

LostDoggy
24-10-2010, 11:45 PM
I was excited to watch it this morning. Watched first half and got bored and turned it off

Curly5
25-10-2010, 02:19 PM
I only watched it to see our boys. Crossy was great, Boydy got a lot of it but his disposal by hand and foot hasn't improved :rolleyes: and only got a quick glimpse of Picken. By all accounts Malthouse was pleased with his defensive work on Ireland's best player. Don't get too keen on him, MM!

Cyberdoggie
25-10-2010, 02:57 PM
All 3 of our boys played well.

Boyd was good but as was mentioned he sprayed a couple.
He had a couple of good chances to run and kick over's but he seemed a little uncomfortable with the lack of intensity and masses of space he had around him, and could of made sure of his shots.

Having said that he was kicking from distance with a round ball on the run.

In regards to the risks etc.

I think it's absolutely worth it for younger players like Picken, the experience they get from playing with other elite players from the AFL and travelling to another country to represent Australia in invaluable. Liam will be a much better player for it.

Also i like how the irish commentators pronounce our players names, particularly Matthew Boyd's name. Matthew under the irish tongue was pronounced "Mart chew". He was actually quite knowledgeable with his comments about our players, he knew the clubs they played for, premiership players etc.

Overall the game lacked a bit of intensity until the last 5 minutes but hopefully the second one picks up.

Jasper
25-10-2010, 03:48 PM
How is it possible Crossy kicks the round ball better than the Sherrin?

LostDoggy
25-10-2010, 05:23 PM

Explains a bit though doesn't it.

bornadog
25-10-2010, 05:26 PM

At training he seems to kick alot better, especially shots at goal he can slot it through from 40 metres (still pathethic for AFL std), but in games I couldn't see him kicking more the 30m.

KT31
08-11-2010, 12:25 AM
No interest in beating up on Pub Workers,Posties !
Waste of time IMHO

I'd like to pass Legislation on Internet posters who for some unbeknown reason like contributing to threads they have no interest in and yet just poor scorn on the sport!
Why Bother?

Pot or kettle ?:p

MrMahatma
08-11-2010, 05:00 AM
At training he seems to kick alot better, especially shots at goal he can slot it through from 40 metres (still pathethic for AFL std), but in games I couldn't see him kicking more the 30m.
Fatigue?

Twodogs
08-11-2010, 11:24 AM

Travelling with great players from other clubs and seeing up close how they prepare and recover could only be a good thing I reckon.