PDA

View Full Version : Delistings

The Pie Man
19-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Just saw on twitter some surprise delistings

Ryan Gamble from Geelong : would we look here?

Skipper & Taylor both gone from Hawthorn - that surprises me a bit, even with Hale coming on board.

Greystache
19-10-2010, 03:36 PM
The AFL website keeps an updating list-

https://www.afl.com.au/retirements%20and%20delistings/tabid/13717/default.aspx

Suprised Hawthorn delisted Skipper, maybe because he was a mature age rookie on a one year contract. Anyone know if that meant they'd have to put him on the main list to retain him?

GVGjr
19-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Skipper & Taylor both gone from Hawthorn - that surprises me a bit, even with Hale coming on board.

I think they have acknowledged that 7 ruckman is too many. They might also be looking to add Campbell back on.

Desipura
19-10-2010, 04:00 PM
Cameron Stokes got delisted as well.

Sedat
19-10-2010, 04:07 PM
Neither surprised me once they decided to draft that tall spud from North. Fancy giving up the GC compo pick on a player that will add nothing to what Wayde Skipper was able to provide to the Hawks for the majority of 2010 - maybe they felt guilty for being given such generous compensation for Campbell Brown in the first place.

Pelchan, the self-proclaimed mastermind of recruiting, has certainly drafted plenty of chaff in the top 20 - Thorp, Dowler, Muston. Rioli was a great get but there are more misses than hits.

LostDoggy
19-10-2010, 04:13 PM
Skip no longer on an AFL list, a sad day for the Eker movement, and just as he was starting to hit his straps too. There are definitely worse ruckmen running around out there.

Greystache
19-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Neither surprised me once they decided to draft that tall spud from North. Fancy giving up the GC compo pick on a player that will add nothing to what Wayde Skipper was able to provide to the Hawks for the majority of 2010 - maybe they felt guilty for being given such generous compensation for Campbell Brown in the first place.

Pelchan, the self-proclaimed mastermind of recruiting, has certainly drafted plenty of chaff in the top 20 - Thorp, Dowler, Muston. Rioli was a great get but there are more misses than hits.

If it wasn't for things falling his way in 2004 where they got Roughead and Franklin because Richmond are Richmond, his record would be shitfull.

LostDoggy
19-10-2010, 04:17 PM
If it wasn't for things falling his way in 2004 where they got Roughead and Franklin because Richmond are Richmond, his record would be shitfull.

And we may have ended up with the better Roughead anyway.

Greystache
19-10-2010, 04:21 PM
And we may have ended up with the better Roughead anyway.

Some Hawthorn supporters were suggesting that this year, a bit premature but we can hope. Perhaps someday we'll end up with both of them.

Cyberdoggie
19-10-2010, 04:26 PM

And with that trade they have become the AFL side with the most amount of wigs ever recorded in 1 team.

Mitcha
19-10-2010, 04:41 PM
Ryan Gamble from Geelong, would we look here?
Sorry Pieman, certainly hope not, this bloke is the king of the Joe the Goose, gets on the end of everyone else's good work further up the ground, would add absolutely nothing to our list.

Dogs 24/7
19-10-2010, 06:31 PM
What about taking a risk on Beau Muston? He has had some problems but we might be able to use him as a defensive forward

The Coon Dog
19-10-2010, 06:35 PM
What about taking a risk on Beau Muston? He has had some problems but we might be able to use him as a defensive forward

He is an idiot, a first class imbecile & I'd hate for the kids watching Williamstown to have to put up with his foul mouth tirades each week.

azabob
19-10-2010, 06:36 PM
He is an idiot, a first class imbecile & I'd hate for the kids watching Williamstown to have to put up with his foul mouth tirades each week.

Take it your a fan then? ;)

comrade
19-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Skipper to the rookie list? Surely we can get him over the line for life membership?

EasternWest
19-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Just saw on twitter some surprise delistings

Ryan Gamble from Geelong : would we look here?

I would take a punt on Gamble. Bad joke aside, I would.

G-Mo77
19-10-2010, 08:35 PM
I would take a punt on Gamble. Bad joke aside, I would.

I'd be very surprised if we go for retread with any of our late picks.

Raw Toast
19-10-2010, 10:29 PM

Well the Rookie list is being further expanded this year with the two new teams coming in, so I'd be surprised if we don't rookie at least one player that has been on another list.

Some teams are pruning pretty hard. It's going to be interesting to see how deep we cut and who we choose to replace them with. I'm almost looking forward to the Rookie draft more than the ND.

Greystache
19-10-2010, 10:32 PM

Wow that's strong TCD, sounds like he's Brett Thornton's little brother!

BulldogBelle
19-10-2010, 10:45 PM

Didnt Ed Barlow recently come down to the club and impress?

I dont see much point in picking him up, apart from him potentially playing as the 22nd man...the sub (or spud!)

With Veszpremi, Sherman, Hooper and Djerrkura coming onto the list, plus Libba and Wallis, there may only be opportunity for another outside hard running wingman (assuming Sherman is also going to play on a wing)....we have a few options now for our forward line...

Anyone on the de-listing list fit the bill????

The Coon Dog
19-10-2010, 10:47 PM
Wow that's strong TCD, sounds like he's Brett Thornton's little brother!

You wouldn't quite hear those things in that Superbox across the road! ;)

LostDoggy
20-10-2010, 06:42 AM
Still waiting for an invite to the Superbox. You, TCD? ;)

LostDoggy
20-10-2010, 08:01 AM
Skipper to the rookie list? Surely we can get him over the line for life membership?

If Minson had gone, I would have rookied Skip(if eligible) in preferance to getting Setanta.

Sedat
20-10-2010, 10:29 AM
Pelican can't even claim credit for Buddy and Roughy because they were drafted by Gary Buckenara.

bulldogsman
20-10-2010, 10:42 AM
Call me an idiot if you want, but I wouldn't mind rookie listing Brad Miller as a back up tall defender. I thought he was ok when played in defense, he just had to be pushed forward because of Melbourne's many young tall defenders. He's at least a better option then Markovic. Plus he has a hot Mrs, so we should definitely get him.

Greystache
20-10-2010, 10:49 AM
Call me an idiot if you want, but I wouldn't mind rookie listing Brad Miller as a back up tall defender. I thought he was ok when played in defense, he just had to be pushed forward because of Melbourne's many young tall defenders. He's at least a better option then Markovic. Plus he has a hot Mrs, so we should definitely get him.

You're an idiot! Just kidding ;)

I thought about Miller as well, but we're probably a little hamstrung by the salary cap. We drafted Markovic in the national draft so he's on a 2 year contract, if we want to delist him we'll have to pay out his contract and that will count against the cap, and I don't think we can afford to have both Miller and Markovic on the list as back up defenders. I makes the decision not to try and get Markovic in the rookie draft even more restrictive.

Greystache
20-10-2010, 10:50 AM
Pelican can't even claim credit for Buddy and Roughy because they were drafted by Gary Buckenara.

So he has no justification at all for his swagger and self appointed tittle of recruiting genius. What a knob!

Sedat
20-10-2010, 10:50 AM
Call me an idiot if you want, but I wouldn't mind rookie listing Brad Miller as a back up tall defender.
You just want to get him onto the 'Ekers' thread :D

I think he'll end up at Tigerland and will allow Jack Reiwoldt to remain closer to goal.

Topdog
20-10-2010, 11:03 AM

LOL I don't think I've ever seen you put something so bluntly TCD. I take it you didn't have a good experience when we played Box Hill?

The Coon Dog
20-10-2010, 11:09 AM
LOL I don't think I've ever seen you put something so bluntly TCD. I take it you didn't have a good experience when we played Box Hill?

He spent more time swearing at the kids behind the goals than playing footy. Of course, when the kids knew they had him, they ramped it up, so did he.

Topdog
20-10-2010, 11:23 AM

Hasn't he already said he is joining Richmond?

bulldogsman
20-10-2010, 11:59 AM

I must be a bit slow, had not heard that.

Greystache
20-10-2010, 12:04 PM

I hadn't heard that either. Will he be going into the PSD draft? Aren't Richmond already looking to take Bachar Houli in the PSD?

chef
20-10-2010, 12:20 PM

Richmond have told him they will take him in the RD as a mature aged rookie with a assistant coaching job to follow in a seasons time.

LostDoggy
22-10-2010, 02:02 PM
Here's who i thought would get looked at from a week or so ago from another forum:

Players i reckon clubs would look at, mainly as rookie prospects/cover:

Ryan Cook and Jaxson Barham from Collingwood (midfield types - Barham is very quick)

Ryan Murphy from Fremantle (forward cover) and Steven Dodd (shut down backman)

Jarrhan Jacky from Adelaide (Small forward cover)

Brad Miller from Melbourne (mid fwd/mid backman) Most teams will look at him i reckon

Dean Polo from Richmond (a high DP, has attitude problems but in the right environment may turn it around)

Kristion Thornton from Sydney (drafted very low and played 8 games in his first season - then one season later is delisted. Must be something wrong)

Beau Wilkes and Tony Knott from West Coast (defender and forward)

Sockeye Salmon
22-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Here's who i thought would get looked at from a week or so ago from another forum:

Players i reckon clubs would look at, mainly as rookie prospects/cover:

Ryan Cook and Jaxson Barham from Collingwood (midfield types - Barham is very quick)

Ryan Murphy from Fremantle (forward cover) and Steven Dodd (shut down backman)

Jarrhan Jacky from Adelaide (Small forward cover)

Brad Miller from Melbourne (mid fwd/mid backman) Most teams will look at him i reckon

Dean Polo from Richmond (a high DP, has attitude problems but in the right environment may turn it around)

Kristion Thornton from Sydney (drafted very low and played 8 games in his first season - then one season later is delisted. Must be something wrong)

Beau Wilkes and Tony Knott from West Coast (defender and forward)

I'm not remotely interested in a single one of them.

Mantis
22-10-2010, 02:12 PM
I would rather get deported to Barham than draft him.

And the rest... well got to agree with SS.... Do not want!!

GVGjr
22-10-2010, 02:22 PM
Tony Notte might be the only one worth looking at MRM.
Probably as a rookie.

Mantis
22-10-2010, 02:25 PM
Tony Notte might be the only one worth looking at MRM.
Probably as a rookie.

At the very least he would make Ayce & Grant feel 'huge' in the gym which might give their ego's a rub.

Sedat
22-10-2010, 02:34 PM
Presumably Ryan Cook has been delisted by the filth because his rap sheet isn't impressive enough - surely he can do better than just aggrivated assault.

Desipura
22-10-2010, 02:35 PM
A few more delistings that have and have not been mentioned. This is what Wisbey had to say.

Question to Colin Wisbey: Wiz is O’Keefe (Carlton Delisting) worth looking at?

Answer: (By Wisbey)

Lacks some pace and is an injury concern but links well and uses very well (decision-making, kicking).

There is an unusually high number of delistees this year who I feel are worth a look. Other than O'Keefe (and in club order):

- ADE: Maybe Jacky (bit lazy and outside but has talent)
- Ess: Michael Still (Soso '10 in VFL after focussing on school in '09. Needs development but has potential. Strong hands)
- Haw: Muston, Moss
- Port: Dawson (potential HBF but has continually been played, wrongly IMO, as short FF).
- Rich: Thomson (main problem is endurance)
- STK: Hutchings (lacks pace but is pure hardnut footballer)

Mantis
22-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Presumably Ryan Cook has been delisted by the filth because his rap sheet isn't impressive enough - surely he can do better than just aggrivated assault.

Yep, Krakouer had a much better rap sheet so has taken his spot on the list.

Cook has been told that he might be re-rookied if he works hard at his deficiencies over the off-season .ie. gets some of his charges up-graded.

Sockeye Salmon
22-10-2010, 02:42 PM
Yep, Krakouer had a much better rap sheet so has taken his spot on the list.

Cook has been told that he might be re-rookied if he works hard at his deficiencies over the off-season .ie. gets some of his charges up-graded.

His sexual assault has been poor - needs work.

Sockeye Salmon
22-10-2010, 02:43 PM
I liked Michael Still when he was in the TAC cup. Haven't seen him play since.

Desipura
22-10-2010, 02:44 PM

Im with you on that one.

Throughandthrough
22-10-2010, 03:18 PM
- ADE: Maybe Jacky (bit lazy and outside but has talent)
-

No.

Couldn't even get a league game in the SANFL.

LostDoggy
22-10-2010, 03:59 PM

And what is wrong with Barham the place. I grew up there, must admit I could not wait to get out.
Nowadays a nice little place, but was no place for a teenager. Mind you I'm talking nealy 40 years ago.

Greystache
22-10-2010, 04:12 PM

Heard from Essendon supporters he has a broken foot, they thought it might have been a navicular stress fracture.

LostDoggy
22-10-2010, 04:41 PM

It was from an AFL-wide perspective, not purely WB. Agree that there aren't many we'd look at, was just sorting the average from the crap :)

The main point with these players is that, from a rookie perspective, you can pay them f/all and they've already had a few preseasons/experience in the competition - the difference between drafting a young bloke who missed out and is a lotto pick. Due to all teams needing to cut at least 4 or 5 a season (correct me if i'm wrong) theres the element of one mans' trash...

We do have a great record at the rookie draft though with those players passed over :)

(it's probably the Football Manager coming out in me) ;)

lemmon
22-10-2010, 05:57 PM
I liked O'Keefe when he played at the nationals, wins his own ball and really good skills. Could play through the middle or off a hbf.

chef
22-10-2010, 07:15 PM
Gary Moss would be worth a look at IMO, surprised to see him delisted again by the Hawks.

anfo27
22-10-2010, 08:19 PM
I liked O'Keefe when he played at the nationals, wins his own ball and really good skills. Could play through the middle or off a hbf.

A good mate of mine is a blues man and really rates this kid. I've never seen him play but he says he is a beautful long kick but been very injury prone in his 2 years there and thinks that they will rookie him.

Mitcha
22-10-2010, 08:42 PM
Gary Moss would be worth a look at IMO, surprised to see him delisted again by the Hawks.
Absolute scrubber, surprised he lasted so long at the Hawks.

ledge
23-10-2010, 11:32 AM

Funny you mention that, a Hawks supporter at work thinks he is excellent and says the Hawks were mad for delisting him , said something about we should look at him.

Remi Moses
23-10-2010, 09:28 PM
Yeah apparently Hawthorn wanted 2 first round picks and we're prepared to throw Tim Boyle in.:rolleyes:

Greystache
23-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Gotta love the comments from Chris Johnson after being delisted by Carlton

CARLTON: Dumped defender Chris Johnson believes he was made a scapegoat when the Blues played poorly.
Johnson, 24, managed only 15 matches, five this season, in two injury-hit years with the Blues after crossing from Melbourne.
He battled quadricep and hamstring tears and a broken arm, but felt he was never given a full opportunity to show what he was capable of before he was delisted this week.
''I was probably a scapegoat, a little bit, for where I was in the team. If we lost I was out, I was the first one to be dropped,'' Johnson told SEN radio.
''I came back, got an opportunity but we played the premiers [Collingwood in round 18], and they smashed us and that was my season in that game.
''It was all about my consistency of my hardness at the footy and I thought I showed this year that I did that, I improved in that and I was consistent in it.''

Left Melbourne for better opportunities, now at Carlton he was hard done by. What a tosser!

LostDoggy
23-10-2010, 09:45 PM
Absolute scrubber, surprised he lasted so long at the Hawks.

^^^^ Pretty much.

Scorlibo
23-10-2010, 10:29 PM
Any interest in Beau Muston? I know he is injury ridden, but he has pace and talent, could be a good mature age rookie?

G-Mo77
24-10-2010, 09:14 AM
Any interest in Beau Muston? I know he is injury ridden, but he has pace and talent, could be a good mature age rookie?

Ask TCD what he thinks of him. :D

The Coon Dog
24-10-2010, 09:27 AM

You obviously haven't read posts 12 & 13 in this thread. ;)

KT31
24-10-2010, 10:45 PM

Enough said move on to the next canidate.

Scorlibo
25-10-2010, 12:11 AM
You obviously haven't read posts 12 & 13 in this thread. ;)

:DAh. Fair enough, we don't want guys like that at the club.

LostDoggy
28-10-2010, 07:12 AM
Port delisted Jay Nash and Matthew Westoff

AndrewP6
28-10-2010, 10:00 PM
Weagles today delisted Matt Spangher and Tim Houlihan.

The Brisbane Aslans delisted Travis Johnstone.

LostDoggy
28-10-2010, 10:19 PM
Spangher, interesting. Rumours were around that we were looking at him.

Final day tomorrow:

- Hahn still not confirmed as signing the reported one year deal

Aren't all new draftees through the ND guaranteed a two year deal? If this is the case then Markovic and Thorne fall under this category don't they?

- Where is Boumann at, contract-wise?

- Mulligan was elevated to the senior list at the start of the season- this meant a new contract didnt it?

- Jamason Daniels

Does that leave anyone else on the list as a potential delisting?

G-Mo77
28-10-2010, 10:39 PM
Aren't all new draftees through the ND guaranteed a two year deal? If this is the case then Markovic and Thorne fall under this category don't they?

They can still be delisted though. I believe if they get drafted after they are cut the club drafting them has to take on their contract or a portion of it. Otherwise it has to be paid out by the original club.

Did I get that right?

chef
29-10-2010, 06:37 AM
Spangher, interesting. Rumours were around that we were looking at him.

Final day tomorrow:

- Hahn still not confirmed as signing the reported one year deal

- Where is Boumann at, contract-wise?

- Mulligan was elevated to the senior list at the start of the season- this meant a new contract didnt it?

- Jamason Daniels

Does that leave anyone else on the list as a potential delisting?

Depends on how old they are, as Markovic and Thorne were mature age they only had to be offered one year deals.

bulldogsman
29-10-2010, 10:01 AM
Weagles today delisted Matt Spangher and Tim Houlihan.

The Brisbane Aslans delisted Travis Johnstone.

Spangher ay, not a bad rookie option. Looked quite good at the end of last year I thought, surprised he didn't go on with it.

Sedat
29-10-2010, 10:22 AM
Spangher ay, not a bad rookie option. Looked quite good at the end of last year I thought, surprised he didn't go on with it.
There's a lot to like about Spangher (brave, very team-oriented and covers for his teammates, backs himself to run and carry, versatile size) but the big knock on him is his disposal by foot - he really needs to improve this area, especially as he is coming out of defence. He'd be a perfect fit for the likes of Hawthorn or Carlton, and would slot into their back 6 next year no problem. I'd really like us to look at him, as we really lack depth in the mid/tall running defender area with Boumann and Mulligan not coming on as hoped and Markovic hacking the mobility part of this equation. Hargy has been a ripper for us but was poor in 2010 (admittedly throuigh injury) - I'd back him to get to his best form in 2011 but he is rising 29 so we need to look at 2012 and beyond as well. Morris is fantastic but doesn't provide much in the way of attacking drive - there's definitely a spot on our list for someone with Spangher's versatility and skills-set, just a question of wherther or not we go recycled or through the draft to cover this area on our list.

Desipura
29-10-2010, 10:51 AM
I like the idea of grabbing a mature aged rookie who covers a deficiency. Spangher is worth a look IMHO.

mjp
29-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Morris is fantastic but doesn't provide much in the way of attacking drive - there's definitely a spot on our list for someone with Spangher's versatility and skills-set.

Sorry, but this made me laugh. Two very different players - one who wont kick and one who CAN'T kick.

comrade
29-10-2010, 11:48 AM
There's a lot to like about Spangher

Sedat, can you make this your signature?

:D

Sedat
29-10-2010, 11:49 AM
Sorry, but this made me laugh. Two very different players - one who wont kick and one who CAN'T kick.
It's certainly his biggest Achilles Heel, and it will continue to be a significant issue if it isn't improved. I still reckon he brings plenty of other positive attributes to the table to be able to extend his AFL career.

Sedat
29-10-2010, 11:51 AM
Sedat, can you make this your signature?

:D
I do get a little Dalrymple-esque with some of my favourites, like with Schulz this time last year :)

Max469
29-10-2010, 06:14 PM
Depends on how old they are, as Markovic and Thorne were mature age they only had to be offered one year deals.

As far as I am aware Lukas was given 2 years

EasternWest
29-10-2010, 06:14 PM

Which is which? I would rate Morris as a barely ok kick, but smart enough to only kick when he must or his target is wide open.

Spangher I admit to knowing little about.

mjp
29-10-2010, 06:23 PM
Which is which? I would rate Morris as a barely ok kick, but smart enough to only kick when he must or his target is wide open.

Spangher I admit to knowing little about.

Morris = WONT.
Spangher = CANT.

GVGjr
29-10-2010, 08:19 PM
The AFL site is showing the following:

Jason Akermanis
Jarrad Boumann
Tim Callan (ret.)
Nathan Eagleton (ret.)
Andrejs Everitt (trd)
Jarrod Harbrow (GC)
Brad Johnson (ret.)
Shane Thorne

At the moment it looks like Hahn and Tiller survived.

divvydan
29-10-2010, 09:22 PM
It all depends on how this statement from Dalrympie is read..

Now ahead of the Draft that leaves us with our 4th and two 5th round selections which will be a challenge, but we are working through a process now of targeting players that we think may be available in that range.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2010/news/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/104277/default.aspx

One way of reading it is that those are the only selections we'll use which means one live pick and two rookie upgrades. The other way of reading it is that we'll have three live picks. If we have three live picks, then there are still two spots on the list that have to be opened up as currently we only have enough space (assuming Gilbee and Hargrave move onto veterans list) to use one live selection in the National Draft.

There is still another list lodgement to come on the 10th November but it seems strange to announce some now and some later, although we did leave Eagleton's contract until this time last year. You'd think the club would know by now if they wanted to keep players so then it would just be a matter of finding a way to do it financially, satisfying both the player and the salary cap.

EasternWest
29-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Morris = WONT.
Spangher = CANT.

I'd have Morris at WONT/CANT with wont first, reflecting that he knows his limitations. And a man's got to know them. It seems capitals are necessary.

lemmon
29-10-2010, 09:37 PM
A good mate of mine is a blues man and really rates this kid. I've never seen him play but he says he is a beautful long kick but been very injury prone in his 2 years there and thinks that they will rookie him.

I thought he would be a real gem when he was drafted, Carlton grabbed him at 60 odd which I had as the steal of the draft. Captained SA from memory and was named All Australian as well as SA MVP, good pace, wins enough of his own footy but his skills by foot are elite, he's probably a similiar height and build to Wood (not as explosive). We have a fair array of running half backs but if we could snatch him as a rookie I would be really pleased.

hujsh
29-10-2010, 10:39 PM
The AFL site is showing the following:

Jason Akermanis
Jarrad Boumann
Tim Callan (ret.)
Nathan Eagleton (ret.)
Andrejs Everitt (trd)
Jarrod Harbrow (GC)
Brad Johnson (ret.)
Shane Thorne

At the moment it looks like Hahn and Tiller survived.

Disappointingly predictable. I'd rather give Boumann another chance than a guy didn't have a great deal to begin with and has since aged terribly.

Mofra
30-10-2010, 02:59 PM
Disappointingly predictable. I'd rather give Boumann another chance than a guy didn't have a great deal to begin with and has since aged terribly.
Even with the pace of a glacier, Hahn would offer us more in 2011 than Boumann.
Boumann went backwards last year.

Bumper Bulldogs
30-10-2010, 05:42 PM

Did he have a reason for this?

We've seen the best of Mitch and the game has past him. Could we say this about Boumann?

LostDoggy
30-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Did he have a reason for this?

We've seen the best of Mitch and the game has past him. Could we say this about Boumann?

Yes I believe

comrade
31-10-2010, 10:50 AM

Whilst I jumped off the Boumann bandwagon fairly early this year (hey, I'm fickle), I don't think he went backwards.

2010: He played 17 senior VFL games and was in the bests twice.

2009: He played 11 senior VFL games and was in the bests once.

His last finals game was poor but he had plenty of mates.

I think the biggest issue might be the fact that his attitude (desire to work hard and be a professional footballer) hasn't really improved since he arrived at the Club. It's a shame because he has physical attributes that we require but it seems he just doesn't have the (mental) capability to put it all together.

That being said, he'd still offer more in defence in 2011 than Mitch Hahn.

OLD SCRAGGer
31-10-2010, 12:17 PM
I'm sure glad some folk on here DON'T hate Mitch Hahn, because the way you talk about him I hate to hear what you's say if you didn't like him..It's BLOODY SHAMEFUL the way you talk about a GREAT CLUBMAN like Mitch, but I guess now that Poor Eagleton has retired you need someone to rag on!!!! I HOPE Mitch stays FWIW. I think this new sub rule would suit him to the ground, but that's just MO. I LOVE all my boys ( now I'll just wait for the rubbish to come my way):D

GVGjr
31-10-2010, 12:28 PM
I don't think anyone is bagging Mitch at all but some have come to a realization that he either shouldn't be on the list any more or at least that he will be lucky to be maintained on the list.
We all understand that we have the footballers for a limited period given the physical demands of the game and I'd rather not have any player stick around for one season too many.

We have a number of players getting near the end of their careers and whilst it would be nice to keep them all for a few more years we must be realistic that its not always in the best interest of the club.

Rocco Jones
31-10-2010, 12:30 PM
I'm sure glad some folk on here DON'T hate Mitch Hahn, because the way you talk about him I hate to hear what you's say if you didn't like him..It's BLOODY SHAMEFUL the way you talk about a GREAT CLUBMAN like Mitch, but I guess now that Poor Eagleton has retired you need someone to rag on!!!! I HOPE Mitch stays FWIW. I think this new sub rule would suit him to the ground, but that's just MO. I LOVE all my boys ( now I'll just wait for the rubbish to come my way):D

I love Mitch Hahn, Chris Grant, Scott Wynd and Charlie Sutton but don't think any of them should be on our list next year.

Mofra
01-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Whilst I jumped off the Boumann bandwagon fairly early this year (hey, I'm fickle), I don't think he went backwards.

2010: He played 17 senior VFL games and was in the bests twice.

2009: He played 11 senior VFL games and was in the bests once.
He finished 2009 stronger than he finished 2010, and his disposal became far more "safe" towards the end of 2010, simply choosing the short safe option every time. Basically if you can't rebound as a defender you have to play as a pure stopper, and I don't think with Morris & Williams playing we have room for another pure stopper (which is why I think Callan couldn't get a H&A game last year despite good Willy form).
He doesn't defend well enough to be the stopper he needed to be to stay on the list, especially considering he was only ever playing on the 3rd best oppositon tall (Faulks & Markovic were ahead of him in 2010).

GVGjr
01-11-2010, 10:32 AM
He finished 2009 stronger than he finished 2010, and his disposal became far more "safe" towards the end of 2010, simply choosing the short safe option every time. Basically if you can't rebound as a defender you have to play as a pure stopper, and I don't think with Morris & Williams playing we have room for another pure stopper (which is why I think Callan couldn't get a H&A game last year despite good Willy form).
He doesn't defend well enough to be the stopper he needed to be to stay on the list, especially considering he was only ever playing on the 3rd best oppositon tall (Faulks & Markovic were ahead of him in 2010).

Excellent point. Nearly every Williamstown report on the forum this year indicated that Boumann had lost the ability to rebound quickly and the short dinky kicks were overdone and not that productive.
The previous year the ability to rebound and attack quickly when required was often listed as a strength of his. I wonder why the change happened and why the club couldn't get him back on track?

I didn't think he had a bad season but after such a good effort the previous season I was expecting a lot more from him.

LostDoggy
03-11-2010, 12:32 PM
I posted much the same elsewhere. "With friends like that, who needs enemies".
Must be something about the "Old" Old Scaggger, great minds think alike regards "OldBulldog".

OLD SCRAGGer
03-11-2010, 02:08 PM
i posted much the same elsewhere. "with friends like that, who needs enemies".
Must be something about the "old" old scaggger, great minds think alike regards "oldbulldog".

:d :d :d

mjp
03-11-2010, 02:41 PM
I think this new sub rule would suit him to the ground, but that's just MO.

In what way would the sub-rule suit Mitch?

I would have thought you would want an extra runner in this role - that way in the event we have a 'Sydney at the SCG' recurrence (Cooney injured in first two minutes) we have an on-baller who can cover, or if no injuries then at least we would have fresh legs to run through the midfield at the end.

That is my take on the sub though. I am not sure how having Mitch as the sub helps - it is leg-speed that was his liability last year, not endurance.

As an aside, I don't think anyone is questioning his toughness, character or work-rate...he just can't cover the ground anymore.

anfo27
03-11-2010, 02:48 PM
I thought he would be a real gem when he was drafted, Carlton grabbed him at 60 odd which I had as the steal of the draft. Captained SA from memory and was named All Australian as well as SA MVP, good pace, wins enough of his own footy but his skills by foot are elite, he's probably a similiar height and build to Wood (not as explosive). We have a fair array of running half backs but if we could snatch him as a rookie I would be really pleased.

He is training at Carlton so i would think they have every intention to rookie him so we might not get that chance.

lemmon
03-11-2010, 03:36 PM
He is training at Carlton so i would think they have every intention to rookie him so we might not get that chance.

Would be a bonus to steal him from under the thumb of Carlton to be honest ;)

anfo27
03-11-2010, 04:09 PM
Would be a bonus to steal him from under the thumb of Carlton to be honest ;)

Just watch his youtube highlights of his carnival and i have to say he is impressive. Beautiful kick on him, decent pace and pretty good hands to.
Do you think having Howard & Tutt on the list already would stop us from taking a real interest in this kid? I'd hope not cause you can never have too many kids who can kick the ball that well.

lemmon
03-11-2010, 05:39 PM
Just watch his youtube highlights of his carnival and i have to say he is impressive. Beautiful kick on him, decent pace and pretty good hands to.
Do you think having Howard & Tutt on the list already would stop us from taking a real interest in this kid? I'd hope not cause you can never have too many kids who can kick the ball that well.

You're right that his type of player isnt a requirement and we do have a lot of these half back runner types even with Gilbee beginning to decline. In saying that though I like the look of Howard on a wing and O'Keefe has played a fair bit of footy through the middle as a junior, they both offer some versatility and depth.

divvydan
03-11-2010, 05:43 PM
Shouldn't it be a concern that he was delisted (albeit might be rookied) from Carlton when his position and mix of skills should be a perfect fit for their needs? Carlton were desperate for a good ball user playing around the half back line this season, so much so that Gibbs was moved back there for much of the season as the main distributor from the backline.

lemmon
03-11-2010, 08:00 PM
Shouldn't it be a concern that he was delisted (albeit might be rookied) from Carlton when his position and mix of skills should be a perfect fit for their needs? Carlton were desperate for a good ball user playing around the half back line this season, so much so that Gibbs was moved back there for much of the season as the main distributor from the backline.

Has been injured for most of his time at the club (including a lot of this year if I recall correctily), would have gone a fair way to stunting his development but the tools are there.

EasternWest
03-11-2010, 11:32 PM
I posted much the same elsewhere. "With friends like that, who needs enemies".
Must be something about the "Old" Old Scaggger, great minds think alike regards "OldBulldog".

Nothing wrong with being old and nothing wrong with loving Mitch. We all do. But it's time

Sedat
04-11-2010, 11:17 AM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/cameron-bruce-close-to-new-demon-deal/story-e6frf9jf-1225947181195

This little snippet at the end of the Cam Bruce article written by Mark Stevens today would suggest that Mitch is in trouble:

"Another club life member in limbo, Western Bulldog Mitch Hahn, is also yet to finalise his plans for next season.

Unlike Bruce, there is no contract on the table for Hahn, 29, leaving his future clouded as the next list deadline approaches.

It is believed the Bulldogs are close to 100 per cent of their cap."

Dogs 24/7
04-11-2010, 11:38 AM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/cameron-bruce-close-to-new-demon-deal/story-e6frf9jf-1225947181195

This little snippet at the end of the Cam Bruce article written by Mark Stevens today would suggest that Mitch is in trouble:

"Another club life member in limbo, Western Bulldog Mitch Hahn, is also yet to finalise his plans for next season.

Unlike Bruce, there is no contract on the table for Hahn, 29, leaving his future clouded as the next list deadline approaches.

It is believed the Bulldogs are close to 100 per cent of their cap."

If we are at 100% of the cap then why don't we just finalize things with Mitch. Hes a life member and it just doesnt add up.

Stevo
04-11-2010, 11:49 AM
I dont care if we have a spot for Mitch or not but why are we dragging this out? We either make and offer or delist him. Are we wanting him to retire to make things a bit easier?

Remi Moses
04-11-2010, 12:15 PM
Nothing wrong with being old and nothing wrong with loving Mitch. We all do. But it's time

Agree entirely . Cut throat business and judging someone as a Footballer not a person..Like Hamill and Dermie players like Mitch hit the wall quickly !

Sockeye Salmon
04-11-2010, 12:56 PM
If we are at 100% of the cap then why don't we just finalize things with Mitch. Hes a life member and it just doesnt add up.

My take o it is that we are close to 100% but want to keep him. Perhaps we are trying to move payments around on other player's contracts to fit him in.

This would be a bad idea because it will just cause more pain down the track.

divvydan
04-11-2010, 03:00 PM
Perhaps we're hoping that a team will take over the contract of someone we want to delist but still have contracted, thereby taking away the need to pay their salary cap next year and thus be able to offer Hahn a contract.

anfo27
04-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Perhaps we're hoping that a team will take over the contract of someone we want to delist but still have contracted, thereby taking away the need to pay their salary cap next year and thus be able to offer Hahn a contract.

That would only happen in trade week. As far as i know if you delist a contracted player you have to pay that contract out.

chef
04-11-2010, 04:20 PM
That would only happen in trade week. As far as i know if you delist a contracted player you have to pay that contract out.

I thought if they got drafted by someone else you didn't have to pay out the remainder, I could be wrong though.

Sockeye Salmon
04-11-2010, 04:48 PM
I thought if they got drafted by someone else you didn't have to pay out the remainder, I could be wrong though.

On the money Chef.

A few years back Essendon delisted Daniel McAlister with a year to go on his contract and then re-drafted him in the PSD. He was an uber-dud but they were hoping that someone else would pick him up and they could avoid paying all his contract.

We possibly could try the same thing with Brennan Stack.