PDA

View Full Version : Veszpremi, Sherman and Djerrkura

GVGjr
25-10-2010, 03:59 PM
We have had a couple of weeks to digest the recent additions to our list and whilst there has been a lot of commentary spread out over a few threads I thought it might be worthwhile to see what everyone believes these players can add to the squad.
What I think is the most noticeable thing about our new arrivals is they are all multi positioned players but two of them have their work cut to force their way into the side.

Nathan Djerrkura
Has been touted as playing as a forward, backman and even in the midfield however, I think his best chance is as a defensive small forward who makes it hard on the opposition defenders to get the ball out quickly and set-up the play.
He is a strong tackler but we have a number of players that already fill the forward pockets and flanks so he will have to make the most of any chances he gets in the NAB cup.
His main competition will consists of Giansiracusa, Hill, Higgins, Veszpremi and maybe even Murphy for a spot in the forward line.

Justin Sherman
Sherman has made a name for himself as an attacking defender and winger and someone who can go forward and kick a goal. I think he was mainly targeted by us to play across half back replacing Jarrod Harbrow although he just won't have his pace or flair.
He might be best moved to a wing as the competition for back pocket or back flank positions is quiet fierce with the likes of Murphy, Hargrave, Wood, Gilbee and Morris all very much at home in these roles.
Sherman might be a guy who just never gets settled in one role for us as his ability to fill a number of positions might just be what Eade is looking for.

Patrick Veszpremi
An intriguing selection. Failed to make a go of it at a club that traditionally drafts and trades intelligently but that was largely due to a number of injuries he suffered along the way.
The club seems to be genuinely excited about his recruitment but they also understand that there is a lot of work to be done with Veszpremi.
I think the club seems him primarily as a forward although they have noted in a few interviews that he is a more than capable of being used as a defender but I just don't think we have a spot for him there.
I struggle to find a spot for him in our best 22 but as Rocco has mentioned he might be the ideal sub type player on the interchange bench given he isn't well known as having a high level of fitness.

The exciting and multi positioned players were recruited so where do you see their value and what positions do you see them filling?
Will they have to earn their stripes via Williamstown or do we have positions they can fill for us?

LostDoggy
25-10-2010, 05:29 PM
Interesting thread, GVG -- will post more detailed thoughts on each of these guys later, but just wanted to note this comment you had:

Sherman might be a guy who just never gets settled in one role for us as his ability to fill a number of positions might just be what Eade is looking for.

IIRC, in his quickly retracted interview with SEN, Justin mentioned that one thing he DIDN'T enjoy about his time in Brisbane was his constant changing of position and lack of continuity in a role so he couldn't get learn from week to week or get consistency into his game. Do you think Eade will go down the same path, seeing as he has explicitly stated that this is not his preference? I understand that the players don't make the calls on their final positions (the coaches do) but will this be a factor?

Off the top of my head I think his pace and size would be nice to have around the stoppages if he can handle the workload (rotating through a half-forward or half-back flank to manage his tank) -- from what I've seen of Sherman in the past, he seems like an ideal inside-outside 'tweener to me which could complement our predominantly inside guys nicely and share the line-breaking duties with Coons and Griff.

His size, especially, is a factor for a guy who can run a bit -- people here were comparing Harbrow to Gazza in expecting Jarrod to make the transition into the middle, forgetting that Gazza is a pretty unique player and a bit small in this day and age, which was Jarrod's problem when going into the middle as well, where he was too easily pushed off the ball and wasn't strong or big enough to impose himself physically on the loose ball (this is the same with Rioli etc.). Sherman seems a bigger body, which may make all the difference.

LostDoggy
25-10-2010, 08:24 PM
To me, Djekurra is midfield or bust. In his short career, he hasn't shown anything to suggest a future as a goal kicker. Down back, he is simply too short. At 172cm, he will be smashed in any 1:1 marking duels. Being a forward is still a possibility but if you're not a natural, a lot of development is required. So yeah for me it's midfield or bust with fingers crossed that he may learn to play forward. This makes him a risky proposition and third round was probably over paying

hujsh
25-10-2010, 08:38 PM
At 172cm, he will be smashed in any 1:1 marking duels

Djerrkura, 176cm. Harbrow, 178cm.

It's not that different if the matchup is right

LostDoggy
25-10-2010, 09:11 PM
Djerrkura, 176cm. Harbrow, 178cm.

It's not that different if the matchup is right

Oops, I robbed him four cm :)
Harbrow really struggles with the overhead thing tho and has been beaten a fair bit this year.

hujsh
25-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Harbrow really struggles with the overhead thing tho and has been beaten a fair bit this year.

You're point is certainly valid. I guess it would depend on how well he can replace what we lost in Harbrow to make up for the occasional mismatch. As GVGjr pointed out we have some good mid to small defenders who can provide run without the overhead issues so it may not be necessary,

BulldogBelle
25-10-2010, 10:59 PM
I remember when Sherman was recruited he was quoted saying that he wanted to play through the midfield...that and he wanted to play in the one position, and not be rotated across the ground...

I think we have a glut of mid sized defenders (Hargrave, Gilbee, Wood, Morris, Murphy, Tiller if he gets his body right) - as GVGjr pointed out.

We need some speed through the midfield with only Cooney and Griffin showing any genuine pace...we were exposed when Cooney was injured late in the season...Sherman could be the sort of player that could take advantage of our glut of inside mids...

Wing for him if his tank permits...

FrediKanoute
26-10-2010, 12:45 AM
Without claiming to know wnything of the machinations of the club I think that the 3 guys were recruited to fill the following roles:

Sherman - very much brought in to fill the Nathan Eagleton running the lines role. I believe he'll line up on a wing with stints in the middle.

Djerrkura - a replacement for Harbrow. As I understood it he had been playing in attack for the Cats with little success. As a junior I recall draftwatchers commenting on his pace and superior footskills. For mine both of those earmark him as a BP/HBF with a licence to create.

Veszpremi - a BJ/JA replacement. Will need to be more accountable than either of these two wee, but my expectation is that he will play in the forward line.

LostDoggy
26-10-2010, 08:26 AM

More to do with his shoulder injury than his height. There are usually opposition players of equal height they can match up on.

Cyberdoggie
26-10-2010, 10:25 AM
Djerrkura - a replacement for Harbrow. As I understood it he had been playing in attack for the Cats with little success. As a junior I recall draftwatchers commenting on his pace and superior footskills. For mine both of those earmark him as a BP/HBF with a licence to create.

Veszpremi - a BJ/JA replacement. Will need to be more accountable than either of these two wee, but my expectation is that he will play in the forward line.

That's what what impressions are as well. Djerrkura for Harbrow, Veszpremi for BJ/JA.
I believe we struggled at times this year when we had only Gilbee and Hargrave as the ball users out of defence. When we had Wood, Harbrow plus the previous two and Murphy available, our quality and run looked much better. Perhaps Djerrkura could fill a quarter back type role where he has time to make decisions and even go for a run, opposed to trying to find the pill himself as a small forward, which we all know is probably the most difficult role in the side.

Mofra
26-10-2010, 10:32 AM
Is it really a case of like for like?

Veszpremi is more goalsneak than BJ, and I don't see him running through the middle as Aker did. He looks a classic FP, which is the sort of player we needed this year.

Sherman will run the lines but he does not have Eagle's footskills. He will gain more metres running the ball than Eagle, and less than Eagle with his foot. Eagle was more of a endurance freak, Sherman is there for pace.

I have no idea what Djerrkura will do in our line up but I don't think he's a lock for the back six, especially with Wood's emergence and Murphy going back. Besides those two, Lake, Morris, Williams and Shaggy are ahead of him, and Gilbee may bounce back after a poor 2010 by his standards. In any case, Harbrow was being pushed up the field in the latter half of the season as we struggled to find run and carry at times.

stefoid
26-10-2010, 10:32 AM
Without claiming to know wnything of the machinations of the club I think that the 3 guys were recruited to fill the following roles:

Sherman - very much brought in to fill the Nathan Eagleton running the lines role. I believe he'll line up on a wing with stints in the middle.

Agreed. And I think DJ might be moved into midfield in time, as was our plan for Harbrow, if he is up to it. Has a job ahead of him though.

Quite a lot has been said about Collingwoods deep midfield rotations, their legspeed in applying pressure to the opposition and in speading from the contest when they get the ball. I reckon we would be hoping that all three new additions could spend time in the midfield, eventually.

Bulldog Revolution
26-10-2010, 05:41 PM
Its going to be very interesting to see what these three add

I've never understood Sherman the footballer, and am not sure where he is or isn't suited. I know hes quick, but have always thought there was something wrong with his mental approach.

Veszpremi is a straight up gamble

I'm interested to see whether Djerrkura can cut it as a forward for us. I've heard good reports from Geelong supporters about his speedy and physicality and given how much those elements are needed in our forward line I'm curious

BulldogBelle
26-10-2010, 07:25 PM
Its going to be very interesting to see what these three add

I've never understood Sherman the footballer, and am not sure where he is or isn't suited. I know hes quick, but have always thought there was something wrong with his mental approach.

Veszpremi is a straight up gamble

I'm interested to see whether Djerrkura can cut it as a forward for us. I've heard good reports from Geelong supporters about his speedy and physicality and given how much those elements are needed in our forward line I'm curious

Agree to a degree

I understand that Veszpremi has had some problems with groins / OP

Not terribly different younger players such as Grant + Higgins + Ward, although they have all played more games that Veszpremi did at Sydney

Without JA, Johnno, Eagle and possibly Hahn we will be a much younger, quicker, less experienced outfit with these 3 new guys

Cyberdoggie
26-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Is it really a case of like for like?

Veszpremi is more goalsneak than BJ, and I don't see him running through the middle as Aker did. He looks a classic FP, which is the sort of player we needed this year.

Sherman will run the lines but he does not have Eagle's footskills. He will gain more metres running the ball than Eagle, and less than Eagle with his foot. Eagle was more of a endurance freak, Sherman is there for pace.

I have no idea what Djerrkura will do in our line up but I don't think he's a lock for the back six, especially with Wood's emergence and Murphy going back. Besides those two, Lake, Morris, Williams and Shaggy are ahead of him, and Gilbee may bounce back after a poor 2010 by his standards. In any case, Harbrow was being pushed up the field in the latter half of the season as we struggled to find run and carry at times.

Like for like would be impossible, very difficult to replace the bald eagle! :p

I think more a case of finding players to beef up in certain areas.

We were actually a bit slow and old last year so we've definately traded for 3x players from other clubs that have speed.

The others areas of concern were running defenders, and small forwards with defensive pressure. I guess all 3 of those players may tick those boxes. Will have to wait and see.

Desipura
27-10-2010, 11:38 AM
More to do with his shoulder injury than his height. There are usually opposition players of equal height they can match up on.
I dont agree totally, neither would Stokesy who towelled him up last year taking a few overhead marks in the final of 2009.

Ghost Dog
28-10-2010, 02:35 AM
Hard to tell with two out of the three. One, had a bad run of injuries. All three a bit on the short-arse-side. Overpaid for Sherman, but no choice really. His abs will no doubt be a valuable asset to our marketing department.

chef
28-10-2010, 07:41 AM
Hard to tell with two out of the three. One, had a bad run of injuries. All three a bit on the short-arse-side. Overpaid for Sherman, but no choice really. His abs will no doubt be a valuable asset to our marketing department.

Sydney valued Sherman with pick 21 and we didn't pay that much.

LostDoggy
28-10-2010, 08:57 AM
Isnt it great that we are discussing the inclusion of three new players to the club and where they could/should fit into our team.

It is sensational that the club has finally bitten the bullet and injected some new blood into the list and rather refreshing we arent discussing which players should/shouldnt be dropped to make way for some of the older players who have "credits".

Go_Dogs
28-10-2010, 09:02 AM
On paper I'm happy with the trades.

We've addressed needs, targeted highly rated players, although only one is a proven AFL performer, all have loads of upside.

Sherman will fill a spot in the 21, not sure where exactly? Perhaps wing.

DJ will need to work to consolidate a spot, but I can see him working as a small forward or defender who can have stints in the midfield.

Ves is much the same, could become a small forward or defender for us but needs to earn his spot first.

The fact that all of them can run and carry the footy is a plus.

Mantis
28-10-2010, 09:29 AM
Sherman will fill a spot in the 21, not sure where exactly? Perhaps wing.

We are crying out for a HF who can carry the ball, Sherman fits this role perfectly.

Bulldog Revolution
28-10-2010, 10:16 AM
Agree to a degree

I understand that Veszpremi has had some problems with groins / OP

Not terribly different younger players such as Grant + Higgins + Ward, although they have all played more games that Veszpremi did at Sydney

Without JA, Johnno, Eagle and possibly Hahn we will be a much younger, quicker, less experienced outfit with these 3 new guys

We will have to disagree DH

Regardless of the injury problems I dont think Vez has shown anywhere near the amount that Grant, Higgins and Ward have, because he really hasn't shown he can play anywhere other than forward pocket.

The question mark of Vez seem to be whether he can run at an AFL level and actually cover enough ground.

Im not saying he doesn't have talent, hes strong one on one, and has a powerful leg, but its questionable whether he has the running capacity for the modern game.

Dogs 24/7
28-10-2010, 10:21 AM
We are crying out for a HF who can carry the ball, Sherman fits this role perfectly.

All three recruitments should be able to do that.
I wonder if Murphy should be given that role especially if Jones can hold down CHF.

Higgins, Giansiracusa and Hill will have plenty of competition.

Mofra
28-10-2010, 10:32 AM
I wonder if Murphy should be given that role especially if Jones can hold down CHF.
I'd expect Murphy to spend time in the back half - with Gilbee & Shaggy's form down and Harbrow gone, his ability to set up play will be vital.

Mantis
28-10-2010, 10:32 AM
All three recruitments should be able to do that.

Higgins, Giansiracusa and Hill will have plenty of competition.

By adding a number of players to our list who can play forward roles and with Hill & Higgins in reserve from our finals team I think we have enough players to play up forward so I would prefer Murf's creativity to be used in defence.

Sockeye Salmon
28-10-2010, 11:30 AM
Isnt it great that we are discussing the inclusion of three new players to the club and where they could/should fit into our team.

It is sensational that the club has finally bitten the bullet and injected some new blood into the list and rather refreshing we arent discussing which players should/shouldnt be dropped to make way for some of the older players who have "credits".

Unless they all bomb, in which case it was a silly, short-sighted decision from a coach who was only concerned about earning himself a new contract.

Of course, if they all come good it was a stroke of genius from a brave, forward thinking visionary not scared to make tough decisions.

LostDoggy
28-10-2010, 12:15 PM
Very well put SS.

GVGjr
28-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Of course, if they all come good it was a stroke of genius from a brave, forward thinking visionary not scared to make tough decisions.

None of the trades quite meet that level of vision.
We are not a team that goes for the blockbuster trades and I think that is in the main a sensible approach.
As per the normal intention of the trade periods we try to identify players out of sorts at their current side and then try to acquire them at a discount to their true value.
It certainly helped that Sherman delivered an ultimatum to the Lions of trade me to the Dogs or I will stay. In the end the Lions had to accept an inferior draft selection than they otherwise would have.

We got 3 players that address some of our needs and in the end its doubtful that the success of the team next season will be linked to the players we acquired during this trade period.

Mofra
28-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Unless they all bomb, in which case it was a silly, short-sighted decision from a coach who was only concerned about earning himself a new contract.
They're all in their early 20s though, and at least one was recruited with a draft pick less attractive than that offered by a rival club (Swan's pick 21 for Sherman).

I hold no expectations whatsoeveer for Djerrkura, but I do think the other two can be members of our best 22 in 2011.

Mantis
28-10-2010, 01:16 PM
We got 3 players that address some of our needs and in the end its doubtful that the success of the team next season will be linked to the players we acquired during this trade period.

Why not?

Besides Hall & Grant we had a forward-line that performed well below it's best this year. If 2 or maybe 3 of these players come in and perform well they could be the difference between a top 4 position and something even better.... I agree that they won't be the only factors, but are at least 1.

GVGjr
28-10-2010, 01:30 PM
Why not?

Besides Hall & Grant we had a forward-line that performed well below it's best this year. If 2 or maybe 3 of these players come in and perform well they could be the difference between a top 4 position and something even better.... I agree that they won't be the only factors, but are at least 1.

Sherman will do well for us but despite his talent I can't put a lot of faith in what Veszpremi will bring us in 2011 and I don't think it would be wise to back in Djerrkura to make a significant impact.
To me, both Djerrkura and Veszpremi will need a season with us before they can really start to make an impact. I don't think they would be in our best 22 at the moment in fact they shouldn't be.

Why are you so positive that the three of them will make a significant impact?

I just feel that the improvement in the forward line needs to come from the further development of Jones and Grant along with an injury free Higgins and hopefully a reborn Hill.

BulldogBelle
28-10-2010, 01:46 PM
We will have to disagree DH

Regardless of the injury problems I dont think Vez has shown anywhere near the amount that Grant, Higgins and Ward have, because he really hasn't shown he can play anywhere other than forward pocket.

The question mark of Vez seem to be whether he can run at an AFL level and actually cover enough ground.

Im not saying he doesn't have talent, hes strong one on one, and has a powerful leg, but its questionable whether he has the running capacity for the modern game.

Agree, he cant play anywhere else apart from the FP at the moment because his groins have probably been troublesome since he was recruited, which would have seriously limited his training.

Hope we did the proper due dilligence prior to the trade...

Grant has been in the system more or less the same time as Vez, and only showed something in 2010...flashback to 2008/09 and I'm sure we all were worried about Grant...

Mantis
28-10-2010, 02:20 PM

I just feel that the improvement in the forward line needs to come from the further development of Jones and Grant along with an injury free Higgins and hopefully a reborn Hill.

I'm not and I haven't said I am..... however they are an upgrade on what we had this year which I see as a positive.

Agree that Jones & Grant will help our forward line no ends, but I will reserve judgement on the other 2 for a while yet.

Sockeye Salmon
28-10-2010, 02:25 PM

He's a supporter and it's October. It's his job to be irrationally positive.

LostDoggy
28-10-2010, 02:27 PM

But he's a Bulldogs supporter and an adult. Being irrationally positive shouldn't come into the mindset ;)

Mantis
28-10-2010, 02:37 PM

Where have I been irrationally positive?

GVGjr
28-10-2010, 02:42 PM
I'm not and I haven't said I am..... however they are an upgrade on what we had this year which I see as a positive.

Agree that Jones & Grant will help our forward line no ends, but I will reserve judgement on the other 2 for a while yet.

2 of them are only an upgrade if they get played. As I said I think both Veszpremi and Djerrkura have some work to do to just get into the line-up.

Despite Sherman really wanting to be settled down in one or two positions he is so versatile he will be a very hand player for Eade providing his kicking skills hold up.

LostDoggy
28-10-2010, 02:46 PM

Not sure that Vez or DJ have quite earnt the 'upgrade' label yet. Our positive feelings over Jones and Grant mirror those we felt for Everitt, Hill and Higgins in previous pre-seasons, the latter (well, not including Everitt) could well bounce back, while the previous two may find their second real year in the top flight a struggle, as have many others.

ps. just saw that I've echoed GVG's post re: Vez and DJ. Sherman is the only real 'upgrade' so far, and only over the oldies running around on their last legs...

Mantis
28-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Sorry if I haven't made myself clear, I don't see Djerrkura as an automatic selection and at present and see him about last on the pecking order for small/ mid-sized forward (equal with Stack if he is retained).... if that's where they intend him to play. To be fair though I haven't seen a heap of him over the past couple of years so I guess until we see him in action it's a bit hard to see where he fits in.

I see Sherman as an upgrade on Eagleton and I see Veszpremi or Higgins (a hopefully fit one) as an upgrade on Johnson's 2010.... Jones is an upgrade on what Hahn showed this year.

Sockeye Salmon
28-10-2010, 03:13 PM
Where have I been irrationally positive?

Joke, Joyce.

Just pointing out we're all positive going into a new season.

Mofra
28-10-2010, 03:15 PM
2 of them are only an upgrade if they get played. As I said I think both Veszpremi and Djerrkura have some work to do to just get into the line-up.
I may be on my lonesome, but I think Vesz will play a fair bit of footy for us next year. We are a side screaming out for a quick FP and I think he will provide that.
Don't have a clue how Djerkurra will go but Geelong fans have noted he has limitations, and some of their descriptions remind me of Cam Faulkner - does the hard stuff but can't find the easy ball.

Sedat
28-10-2010, 04:46 PM
Vesz is a talent and brings a skill-set that is in short supply in our forward half. I agree with Mofra - if he has a cracking good pre-season and gets ripping fit, he will play most of the season for us and be a valuable contributor in our revamped forward structure. Djerr won't have Stokes, Varcoe and Byrnes ahead of him at the kennel - his pace and defensive pressure also brings an element that is in short supply in our forward line and around the ground (he does need to find more of the ball to avoid becoming the "third Andrew McLeod" :)). I'm far from sold on Sherman but he does run the lines (most of the time like a headless chook IMO), a skill that was also in painfully short supply at the club in 2010. All 3 can play significant game time in 2011 and worst case they will keep established players extremely honest and at the top of their game to cling onto a place in the team, not a bad situation to be in.

LostDoggy
28-10-2010, 05:17 PM
I may be on my lonesome, but I think Vesz will play a fair bit of footy for us next year. We are a side screaming out for a quick FP and I think he will provide that.
Don't have a clue how Djerkurra will go but Geelong fans have noted he has limitations, and some of their descriptions remind me of Cam Faulkner - does the hard stuff but can't find the easy ball.

Does anyone really think that the aim of getting these three in, (at least two of the three), was that they wouldn't be in the 22, but be used as cover?

We;

- Gave up a early compensation pick for Sherman (Harbrow)
- Gave up a young early pick player for another early pick player (Vez for Evs)
- Have heard that we targeted and did our research on DJerka, giving up a pick almost 20 above our next live pick.

Would seem a reasonable amount of currency given up for players who the football dept didnt think would be in our senior side, but be considered cover.

We all saw that two of the glaring limitations of our list last year was pace and goal kicking spread.

mighty_west
28-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Does anyone really think that the aim of getting these three in, (at least two of the three), was that they wouldn't be in the 22, but be used as cover?

We;

- Gave up a early compensation pick for Sherman (Harbrow)
- Gave up a young early pick player for another early pick player (Vez for Evs)
- Have heard that we targeted and did our research on DJerka, giving up a pick almost 20 above our next live pick.

Would seem a reasonable amount of currency given up for players who the football dept didnt think would be in our senior side, but be considered cover.

We all saw that two of the glaring limitations of our list last year was pace and goal kicking spread.

I see Sherman as definatly in our best 22, especially losing some run in regards to Harbrow & Eagleton, his best football to date is very good, to give up such a high pick, you'd want to invest that in a very good player, and not depth.

Vesz i see more as still developing, and if he becomes as good as what was expected of him before his original draft, should easily crack our best 22, possibly in that 20-28th best player range of having to fight his way in, just like Everitt really, he fits our needs as well as a smaller forward with Johnno gone & Gia not many seasons left.

Djerkurra is an unknown at this stage, and hearing varied opinions about playing that Harbrow role, or small defensive forward, or perhaps burst player in the middle.

LostDoggy
28-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Having read the reports about how we selected these three players, the club has openly stated they have been watching the performances of both Djerkurra and Veszpremi throughout the year in order to decide if they are suitable players for our club.

Why is it that a number of posters on here appear to consider they know more about the skills of these two players (or perceived inability) than the people who have been watching them to assess their potential?

mjp
28-10-2010, 08:01 PM
Why is it that a number of posters on here appear to consider they know more about the skills of these two players (or perceived inability) than the people who have been watching them to assess their potential?

Well, not that I have said a word so far, but to answer your question:

- Drafting of Thorne
- Drafting of Markovic
- Recent recruitment of Tim Callan.

It is not as if our recent list management and recruitment record is exemplary...why wouldn't people have an opinion?

For the record, I never wanted Sherman because I don't think he can kick - but he is my new favorite player. Yet to put a foot wrong as a bulldog!

I loved Veszpremi as a 18yo because of his attack on the footy - very happy he is at the club.

Djerrkura sounds great - ferocious tackler, hard worker, good leg-speed...and (for me) there is a role for him in our forward line.

There are definitely spots in our side to fill - I hope Howard takes one and I hope these three boys all get a chance to establish themselves...it is not as if we have massive numbers of 21 yo runners on our list!

Jasper
28-10-2010, 09:35 PM
Well, not that I have said a word so far, but to answer your question:

- Drafting of Thorne
- Drafting of Markovic
- Recent recruitment of Tim Callan.

It is not as if our recent list management and recruitment record is exemplary...why wouldn't people have an opinion?

For the record, I never wanted Sherman because I don't think he can kick - but he is my new favorite player. Yet to put a foot wrong as a bulldog!

I loved Veszpremi as a 18yo because of his attack on the footy - very happy he is at the club.

Djerrkura sounds great - ferocious tackler, hard worker, good leg-speed...and (for me) there is a role for him in our forward line.

There are definitely spots in our side to fill - I hope Howard takes one and I hope these three boys all get a chance to establish themselves...it is not as if we have massive numbers of 21 yo runners on our list!

Agree with this but hopefully the new recruits take their chances. It appears we went after what was available. Vez has the most blue sky but could also be the biggest bust. If Sherman got to Eagle's peak level I would be happy. Not sure if he will ever kick like Eagle. If Djerkurra stays fit, great, there will be openings if he is good enough. Interesting to see what happens.

Mofra
29-10-2010, 10:19 AM
I don't think they are all automatic best 22 players though, regardless of the draft picks (or player) swapped for them.
Sherman gives us run and should be looking to play round 1.

Vezs we swapped for a fringe player who had no role at the Bulldogs, so if he managed 10 games he'd be on par with Everitt. He's still developing but for a team with no quick crumbers (save for Hooper who is a work in progress) he must like his chances.

The round 3 we paid for Djerkurra would be a round 4 in most other years due to the 17 year Jan-Apr poaching by GC, so this is a speccy pic. Don't forget we picked up Markovic last year "purely as cover" as well.

LostDoggy
29-10-2010, 02:30 PM

If Hill is as highly prized as Fantasia believes then he should be close to a permanent fixture in the side most likely up forward.

LostDoggy
29-10-2010, 02:34 PM

Its hard to say what Veszpremi can achieve next season because we have no forum guide.
If he can get fit and stay healthy then he might be a strong addidition for us.

LostDoggy
29-10-2010, 04:13 PM
If Hill is as highly prized as Fantasia believes then he should be close to a permanent fixture in the side most likely up forward.

I'm sure his 'asking price' was based as much on what he could/should be as what he currently is. Whether he fulfills that is the gamble we've chosen to take, and whether he ends up a 'permanent fixture' largely depends on Hilly himself, not on an arbitrary trade week gambit.

Raw Toast
29-10-2010, 04:47 PM
Very happy that we addressed some of our need for pace, intensity, defensive pressure and ball-carrying ability.

We've added a bit with subtraction so far, in that the players who have retired seemed to be on their last legs, and these three have a great opportunity.

Be very interesting to see how many others are delisted.

You're on fire recently SS (and I'm glad your wisdom re the evils of trading have started to get some recognition ;)).

ps Chooks can go off the lay if they get unduly disturbed - you might need some more in to help them regain their mojo's (we've now got 11 and things are going quite well with them....).

LostDoggy
01-11-2010, 12:56 AM
Here we are, more than 50 posts in and there has been a lot of discussion with respect to the forward pocket/line and who could be a regular. One name I expected to see discussed and compared with especially regarding Veszpremi is Andrew Hooper. Signed to new 2 year deal and debut in winning final. Will play at least a dozen games, if not more. IMO

jeemak
01-11-2010, 01:37 AM
I'm inclined to think Vezpremi has a better chance over Hooper in getting a game next year. Even though he's had a couple of unproductive years, he's been in the system longer and is closer to the age where a lot of players take the next step in their careers. Hooper is still a good chance to play some senior football next year though.

DOG GOD
01-11-2010, 01:27 PM
I dont see the point in trading for players to be only considered depth players. Fair enough that all 3 will have to earn their stripes, but i see all 3 playing a role in our best 22.

With Aker, Johhno, Eagle and Harbrow all gone, there are spots for them.

GVGjr
01-11-2010, 01:35 PM
I dont see the point in trading for players to be only considered depth players. Fair enough that all 3 will have to earn their stripes, but i see all 3 playing a role in our best 22.

With Aker, Johhno, Eagle and Harbrow all gone, there are spots for them.

I think the view the club took is that we needed to replace experience with at least guys that have been in the system for a few seasons rather than taking our chances through the draft and having to develop players over time.
If we slip back a bit next year and a couple of the guys don't measure up then it won't look like a great move.

Mantis
01-11-2010, 01:50 PM
I think the view the club took is that we needed to replace experience with at least guys that have been in the system for a few seasons rather than taking our chances through the draft and having to develop players over time.
If we slip back a bit next year and a couple of the guys don't measure up then it won't look like a great move.

Which ones specifically?

GVGjr
01-11-2010, 01:59 PM
Which ones specifically?

Veszpremi and Djerrkura. I don't believe they are in our best 22 and as long as they work towards that and make a contribution when the chances arise then I think that will be a positive.
They have the skills that we need and I hope the coaches can get that out of them quickly.

If they don't make some progress though then the 12 months we spent watching Djerrkura won't have amounted to much and the Veszpremi trade might not look like a stroke of wisdom.

Mantis
01-11-2010, 02:20 PM
Veszpremi and Djerrkura. I don't believe they are in our best 22 and as long as they work towards that and make a contribution when the chances arise then I think that will be a positive.
They have the skills that we need and I hope the coaches can get that out of them quickly.

If they don't make some progress though then the 12 months we spent watching Djerrkura won't have amounted to much and the Veszpremi trade might not look like a stroke of wisdom.

For me I see Sherman as the one who is under the most pressure considering the cost to bring him to the club. He really needs to make an immediate impact.

Veszpremi while under some pressure is only replacing Skinny who while promising a fair bit delivered little.... I would think that this year will be a year to establish himself within the club with the hope that he would start to become a consistent player in the years ahead

In real terms we paid little for Djerrkura so I guess it's a calculated risk... The person under the most pressure with this one is Dalrymple.

LostDoggy
01-11-2010, 02:36 PM
For me I see Sherman as the one who is under the most pressure considering the cost to bring him to the club. He really needs to make an immediate impact.

Veszpremi while under some pressure is only replacing Skinny who while promising a fair bit delivered little.... I would think that this year will be a year to establish himself within the club with the hope that he would start to become a consistent player in the years ahead

In real terms we paid little for Djerrkura so I guess it's a calculated risk... The person under the most pressure with this one is Dalrymple.

Vesz, regardless of how well he goes for us (unless he turns into a bona-fide superstar, of course) will be compared with Skinny's development over the next 2-5 years. If Everitt blossoms into a gun up in Sydney, even if Vesz plays a role we'll always feel hard-done by (unless he plays a role in us winning a premiership or getting into a grannie, that is).

I'm sure we'll also have a quiet eye on the likes of Walker and Faulks to see if we made the right calls at the trade table. It may well be an inexact science, but some still do it better than others.

No question Dalrymple will bear most of the credit/blame for how these turn out.

LostDoggy
01-11-2010, 03:57 PM
I think the Vesper trade was a neessary evil regardless of how Everitt develops, if Andrejes does well then we will probably need to look back at our management of him rather than the trade. He had talent but he wasnt happy and neither were we, Vesper seems the same and it could be a win win on both sides. I just dont think the motivation was there in Everitt or our staff to make the most of his time at the dogs, I dont believe we had another option in this case.

LostDoggy
01-11-2010, 06:05 PM
I think the Vesper trade was a neessary evil regardless of how Everitt develops, if Andrejes does well then we will probably need to look back at our management of him rather than the trade. He had talent but he wasnt happy and neither were we, Vesper seems the same and it could be a win win on both sides. I just dont think the motivation was there in Everitt or our staff to make the most of his time at the dogs, I dont believe we had another option in this case.

Totally agree about the need to trade Andrejs out -- nonetheless, we'll always watch his progress with interest, I would suggest, and Vesz will probably be compared to him if Andrejs starts performing and he doesn't.

In hindsight, the handing over of the sacred no.3 just seems terribly premature (as some of us were saying at the time), and probably created a lose-lose situation in elevating expectations of Andrejs (thus creating pressure) while at the same time anointing him (letting him believe he had more or less arrived), not an easy situation for a young man to handle.

Topdog
02-11-2010, 09:22 AM
100% spot on Lantern.

GVGjr
03-11-2010, 11:33 AM
Totally agree about the need to trade Andrejs out -- nonetheless, we'll always watch his progress with interest, I would suggest, and Vesz will probably be compared to him if Andrejs starts performing and he doesn't.

In hindsight, the handing over of the sacred no.3 just seems terribly premature (as some of us were saying at the time), and probably created a lose-lose situation in elevating expectations of Andrejs (thus creating pressure) while at the same time anointing him (letting him believe he had more or less arrived), not an easy situation for a young man to handle.

Sydney have a good reputation of drafting players that aren't being utilised full at a club and then turning them into regular contributors. With Everitt they have a bit more than most to work with and it will be interesting to see how they use him.

Lifting his intensity on a consistent basis will be the challenge for them.

I don't think be given the number 3 was that daunting for him but you might be right that it was given to him too early. Either way, that in itself is still no excuse for him not reaching his potential with us.