PDA

View Full Version : 5th Debutant this week

aker39
24-07-2007, 02:44 PM
Just heard a very short clip from Rockets press conference today and he mentioned that we have had 4 Debutants this year, and MAY have a 5th one this Friday night.

Who would be the likely candidate.

Mantis
24-07-2007, 02:46 PM
Just heard a very short clip from Rockets press conference today and he mentioned that we have had 4 Debutants this year, and MAY have a 5th one this Friday night.

Who would be the likely candidate.

Stephen Tiller, maybe Josh Hill...

Good news, I would rather us play kids who will have a crack rather than running out with the same players week after week who it seem don't really give a damn.

GVGjr
24-07-2007, 02:53 PM
Stephen Tiller, maybe Josh Hill...

Good news, I would rather us play kids who will have a crack rather than running out with the same players week after week who it seem don't really give a damn.

Thats very damning. Do you really think some of the players don't care?

Not sure who the debutant will be.

The Coon Dog
24-07-2007, 03:00 PM
At last weeks Selectors Table Jason Mifsud made mention that he expected Josh Hill to play seniors this season. I was surprised when I heard him say it.

Apart From Hill, the only other 2 are Brennan Stack & Steven Tiller.

Go_Dogs
24-07-2007, 03:04 PM
Interesting, didn't think we'd see anyone else make a debut this season, but we have been playing a lot of kids.

The Coon Dog
24-07-2007, 03:07 PM
If it is Josh Hill, look for him to take a speckie!

Mantis
24-07-2007, 03:09 PM
Thats very damning. Do you really think some of the players don't care?

Not sure who the debutant will be.

Well they play like they don't. They probably do, but they have a poor way of showing it.

LostDoggy
24-07-2007, 04:02 PM
It might be a make or break game for Tiller.

bornadog
24-07-2007, 04:08 PM

Not sure if it will be Tiller. Do you think Eade would bring in Grant and Tiller? Going on past history, I don't think he will go for two talls, so it may be Josh Hill, but has he done enough at Werribee or is it for learning purposes?

Sockeye Salmon
24-07-2007, 04:20 PM
Grant and Morris will come back and Gilbee and Hahn are obviously out. That leaves us one runner down.

I think Wight will go out as well so the candidates are Faulkner, Addison and Hill.

bornadog
24-07-2007, 04:38 PM
Grant and Morris will come back and Gilbee and Hahn are obviously out. That leaves us one runner down.

I think Wight will go out as well so the candidates are Faulkner, Addison and Hill.

How did Addison play last week?

Sockeye Salmon
24-07-2007, 04:51 PM
How did Addison play last week?

No idea. Didn't go to Bendigo. He didn't get named in the bests.

Mantis
24-07-2007, 04:55 PM

Why would we drop Wight?? The West Coast will play Lynch, Staker and Hansen as tall forwards. Surely we need to play Wight as the 3rd tall remembering he played very well vs WC in the final last year.

Sockeye Salmon
24-07-2007, 05:27 PM
Why would we drop Wight?? The West Coast will play Lynch, Staker and Hansen as tall forwards. Surely we need to play Wight as the 3rd tall remembering he played very well vs WC in the final last year.

We'll already have Harris, Grant, Williams, Everitt and Hargrave.

I'm more concerned about being outrun than outmarked.

LostDoggy
24-07-2007, 05:28 PM

I see you point playing this week but I dispute the fact he played very well in the final vs WC last season. We got thrashed and he tried his best.

Dry Rot
24-07-2007, 08:23 PM
Has McDougall played a premiership match for us yet?

W W Biscuit
24-07-2007, 08:39 PM
Has McDougall played a premiership match for us yet?

Yes, he played round 1 versus Geelong. That's it.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-07-2007, 09:56 PM
Yes, he played round 1 versus Geelong. That's it.

Doogs also played the following round against Adelaide.

Shame he hasn't done enough to get back in. God knows we're crying out for a mobile marking CHF.

LostDoggy
24-07-2007, 10:01 PM
As Hahn is gone for the season can he be put on the long term injury list? If so can we elevate another rookie? Excuse me if this is a dumb question.

GVGjr
24-07-2007, 10:03 PM
As Hahn is gone for the season can he be put on the long term injury list? If so can we elevate another rookie? Excuse me if this is a dumb question.

I think we have passed the last week where a rookie could be elevated

LostDoggy
24-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Thanks.

Bulldog Revolution
24-07-2007, 10:07 PM

It would be an incredible promotion if it was him

He seems to have really picked up his game in the second half of the year, but I still cant but feel he should have got more Werribee senior opportunities

If its him I hope he really puts his best foot forward

W W Biscuit
24-07-2007, 10:34 PM
Doogs also played the following round against Adelaide.

Shame he hasn't done enough to get back in. God knows we're crying out for a mobile marking CHF.

Goodness!! Yes, that's true. Just goes to show what a forgettable performance it was. Either that, or senility is kicking in. :D

LostDoggy
25-07-2007, 11:09 AM
We'll already have Harris, Grant, Williams, Everitt and Hargrave.

I'm more concerned about being outrun than outmarked.

The only other way I see Tiller making a debut is that they drop Street and play Darcy and Wight in the ruck.

Otherwise I agree I think Hill will get a run.

Bulldog Revolution
25-07-2007, 02:55 PM
Goodness!! Yes, that's true. Just goes to show what a forgettable performance it was. Either that, or senility is kicking in. :D

He really didn't look confident enough to play senior AFL footy against Adelaide. There was one dropped mark where the ball hit his hands and bounced off that seemed to sum up how lacking in confidence he was/is

Bulldog Revolution
26-07-2007, 09:43 AM
Coach Rodney Eade said two players were in line for a debut, with Stephen Tiller, 20, expected to become the fifth youngster blooded this year.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/more-hamstring-problems-for-grant/2007/07/25/1185339081337.html

Go_Dogs
26-07-2007, 10:40 AM
If Tiller played, we'd play him as a forward?

GVGjr
26-07-2007, 11:07 AM
If Tiller played, we'd play him as a forward?

He has played the last few weeks as a forward so I guess that will be the best option. When he was in the 2nds he did play in the back line a couple of times.

I hope he does well but the difference between adding Tiller compared to Everitt is that Spida junior was in better form than what Tiller has displayed. I think there is a couple of guys ahead of him really so I'm a little surprised.

Go_Dogs
26-07-2007, 11:20 AM
He has played the last few weeks as a forward so I guess that will be the best option. When he was in the 2nds he did play in the back line a couple of times.

I hope he does well but the difference between adding Tiller compared to Everitt is that Spida junior was in better form than what Tiller has displayed. I think there is a couple of guys ahead of him really so I'm a little surprised.

Me too. It seems Tiller has been building up progressively as the year has gone on which has been pleasing, but not too sure he'd be ready for an AFL match, but I honestly have seen very little of him in the past few years so I'm not too cluey on his progress. Baird was also a bit of a surprise inclusion last year though I guess, and he added some good positives to our forward mixture for mine. Perhaps their hoping Tiller can replicate something similar - and I guess he's slightly more 'proven' as a back too which adds to his cause with a bit more versatility.

Sockeye Salmon
26-07-2007, 12:43 PM
"while Peter Street and Matthew Robbins could be axed."

??? Minson has hamstring tightness. How can we drop Street? (As terrible as he was last week and definately deserves it)

Bulldog Revolution
26-07-2007, 12:45 PM

Sometimes form warrants opportunity and sometimes opportunity creates form

I hope its a real boost for Tiller

GVGjr
26-07-2007, 02:05 PM
Sometimes form warrants opportunity and sometimes opportunity creates form

I hope its a real boost for Tiller

I agree and it's a good point but it doesn't reward the players in better form.
McDougall for example went back to the magoos and performed well and then again the following week in the senior team. I'd have him slightly ahead of Tiller at the moment.

GVGjr
26-07-2007, 02:07 PM
"while Peter Street and Matthew Robbins could be axed."

??? Minson has hamstring tightness. How can we drop Street? (As terrible as he was last week and definately deserves it)

Darcy, Wight and maybe even McDougall or Skipper might be able to match the WC rucks and provide a bit of mobility. It's a risk granted but we might roll the dice with that option.

mjp
26-07-2007, 02:10 PM
All Tiller (or any other 'tall' forward) we play has to do is present hard and aggressively at the kicker. Then provide a strong second effort to keep the ball in the area whilst the cavalry arrives. It is actually not that hard to play in this manner - you just have to want to do it.

I actually think this kid is as much a chance of having a crack as anyone else we have tried - or anyone else we have on the list. Whilst I agree with GVGjr that Doogs is probably 'ahead' of Tiller at the moment, I dont think there is much chance that McDougall would play in this manner against his old team-mates.

Sockeye Salmon
26-07-2007, 02:11 PM
McDougall for example went back to the magoos and performed well and then again the following week in the senior team. I'd have him slightly ahead of Tiller at the moment.

Tiller was playing seconds and had better form there than McDougall. They were both promoted and Tiller had better form in the seniors as well.

Sockeye Salmon
26-07-2007, 03:07 PM
All Tiller (or any other 'tall' forward) we play has to do is present hard and aggressively at the kicker. Then provide a strong second effort to keep the ball in the area whilst the cavalry arrives. It is actually not that hard to play in this manner - you just have to want to do it.

I actually think this kid is as much a chance of having a crack as anyone else we have tried - or anyone else we have on the list. Whilst I agree with GVGjr that Doogs is probably 'ahead' of Tiller at the moment, I dont think there is much chance that McDougall would play in this manner against his old team-mates.

According to Jason Misfud last Thursday night, the main thing that has been holding Tiller back is is lack of defensive pressure in the forward line! That was the reason they game him some games in the backline - to see if he would tackle and chase there.

mjp
26-07-2007, 03:25 PM
According to Jason Misfud last Thursday night, the main thing that has been holding Tiller back is is lack of defensive pressure in the forward line! That was the reason they game him some games in the backline - to see if he would tackle and chase there.

Well, the problem is SS that ALL of our tall forwards have the same issue - including one former skipper who spends a bit of time in the goalsquare.

Sockeye Salmon
26-07-2007, 03:29 PM
Well, the problem is SS that ALL of our tall forwards have the same issue - including one former skipper who spends a bit of time in the goalsquare.

Former skipper?

Do you mean Darcy, Grant or our current skipper?

aker39
26-07-2007, 03:39 PM
Former skipper?

Do you mean Darcy, Grant or our current skipper?

It could only be Darcy

Bulldog Revolution
26-07-2007, 04:21 PM

All of our forwards with the exception of Gia, Hahn, Harbrow and Aka struggle with respect to defensive pressure.

Bulldog Revolution
26-07-2007, 04:29 PM

I know what you are saying and I wasn't advocating ignoring form when selecting - and it is important to promote guys who deserve it, and whose form warrants it, but sometimes when it comes to developing players you just have to back them, and give them a taste of the big league. Josh Hills form has been ok but you wouldn't say he has been banging down the door, but I think Eade is keen to provide him with an opportunity this year.

On McDougall - I think he was given a large opportunity all preseason and then the first two games of the year - and I dont think his form had set the world on fire to that stage. Eade seems to have a pretty good feel for who should be given an opportunity, and how they will respond. We should note that Harbrow and Lynch both had played VFL reserves football shortly before debuting at AFL level.

I just hope this opportunity helps spur Tiller on, and lights a Daniel Cross like drive in him.