PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Wooden Spoon

Dry Rot
25-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Caught up with a Bombers fan mate who was full of enthusiasm for 2011 with Hird as coach. Wasn't too happy when I reckoned they could finish in the bottom 4 and had a shit list.

Could they get the get the spoon? My money would be on one of the Lions, Eagles or the Suns.

The Lions seem to be in disarray and half lost half their midfield. Admin problems too.

WCE has stuck with the same list, which was crap this year.

Suns could be in real trouble if they get a few injuries to their recruited mature players.

Thoughts?

GVGjr
25-10-2010, 07:21 PM
I'm tipping the Lions to bottom right out.

The lost some good players in Sherman, Rischetelli and Brennan and Power and Black are starting to fade. Unless Fevola gets back on track I think they will struggle

AndrewP6
25-10-2010, 07:25 PM
I agree with GVG, the Aslans to finish with the spoon. Although I've got other preferable targets, I think Vossy's mob will be the ones.

hujsh
25-10-2010, 07:31 PM
I think we can all agree that Voss=Rhodes as far as damage to a football club.

It's his destiny to take the spoon unless he doesn't get the opportunity (sacked) or Brown carries the team and becomes the greatest CHF in the history of the game

chef
25-10-2010, 08:45 PM
WCE for me. Easily the biggest bunch of poor kicks that I can remember and I wouldn't be surprised to see Worsfold sacked by mid season. Their list is the poorest in quality in the league and the compromised draft are going to keep them down for a while longer too.

At Least with Brisbane, if Brownvola have a decent season they will win enough games at home to avoid the bottom.

Greystache
25-10-2010, 09:30 PM
I think Brisbane or WCE, if Brown and Fevola kick big bags of goals they can avoid the spoon, WCE have virtually nothing going for them, they must wish they'd drafted Hill. If Voss can get enough control Brisbane should get it.

I don't think Essendon will finish last, they'll be well down and desperately lack pace and kicking skills, but I think they're talls are pretty strong.

Mofra
26-10-2010, 09:34 AM
I'd be tipping Brisbane, Sherman was tagged last year, Brennan was their no 1 clearance player and they lost their B&F Riski who was very good for them last year. They gain nothing in return, save for Rich & Banfield improving with age (perhaps offset by Black & Power slowing).

LostDoggy
26-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Collingwood will be done for salary cap breaches, will have this years premiership stripped and will not be able to compete for points next season, so will get the wooden spoon. :D

Sedat
26-10-2010, 11:19 AM
I reckon the Tigers will win the spoon in 2011. They had bugger-all injuries and only beat the interstate teams in 2010. Factor in even a slightly worse run with injuries, and the fact that other teams will have done a lot more homework on the likes of Martin and Riewoldt, and I can see them taking a step backwards next year. They just don't have much depth on any line.

mighty_west
26-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Gold Coast, followed by Brisbane & West Coast.

I'm tipping the GC to struggle somewhat, whilst they might be a powerhouse in a few years time, too many kids to start off with, their backline looks OK without a big defender, Bock always played second fiddle to Rutten, Harbrow & Krak will run it out.

The midfield also looks decent - Ablett, Risch, Brennan, but put a hard tag on Ablett, and they might struggle.

The forward line, what forward line? Josh Fraser?

LostDoggy
26-10-2010, 11:34 AM

Their ruck division, what ruck division? Josh Fraser?

mighty_west
26-10-2010, 12:05 PM
Their ruck division, what ruck division? Josh Fraser?

Exactly, too may holes on their list, lose a few experienced players to injury and really watch out, at least most other clubs can cover to a certain extent, and at least with Brisbane, alot of their kids are now 2 or 3 year players.

Sockeye Salmon
26-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Collingwood will be done for salary cap breaches, will have this years premiership stripped and will not be able to compete for points next season, so will get the wooden spoon. :D

Collingwood could very well be over the salary cap, the AFL could very well find out they are over the salary cap, but you'll get very long odds about that story ever seeing the light of day.

That would get filed in the special place along with xxxxx xxxxx drug test results.

Mofra
26-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Ryan Gamble & Nathan Ablett. Doesn't bode well.

OLD SCRAGGer
27-10-2010, 09:58 AM
As long as it's NOT us down in bottom 8 I couldn't give a FLYING FIG who finishes on bottom!!!:D

LostDoggy
27-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Bottom 9 next season OS.

Twodogs
27-10-2010, 11:53 AM
Brisbane.

They have an arrogant dill in charge who refuses to accept any blame for the stupid decisions the footy department have made. They may have had a poor year this year, but next year is going to be even worse because they have gone backwards since the end of the season. The other teams in the frame for the spoon are West Coast and Richmond. Carlton will struggle and I have a feeling that St Kilda wont hit the same heights they did over the last two years and will finish in the lower part of the 8.

Bumper Bulldogs
30-10-2010, 05:33 PM
I have a feeling that St Kilda wont hit the same heights they did over the last two years and will finish in the lower part of the 8.

That's a big call, I still see them as a top 4 side as everyone struggles to kick score against them.

Foe me like all others i think that WC, GC and Brisbane are the bottom three.

LostDoggy
31-10-2010, 02:42 AM
My wooden spoon selection is Hawthorn. Lot of changes/delistings and not all for the better. Early season injuries to key players will put them out of contention by round 9. Keeping the Hawks company in the cellar will be Richmond and Westcoast.

Twodogs
01-11-2010, 11:48 AM
That's a big call, I still see them as a top 4 side as everyone struggles to kick score against them.

I think that they may stagnate and I can see other sides going past them. They have one gameplan that has little variety to it. Once teams work them out and stop their run and change from defence then they dont have any other tricks.

Looking at their list it's difficult to see who the improving players are too.

GVGjr
01-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Can the Eagles make any progress?

DOG GOD
01-11-2010, 12:17 PM
Can the Eagles make any progress?

It might be difficult. They refused to have any impact during trade week and still have too many players that butcher the ball. They would need to win a fair share at home to be any chance of not finishing in the bottom 4. Seem to have glaring holes all over the field.

LostDoggy
01-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Bottom 3

West Coast
Richmond
Gold Coast

Brisbane and Essendon could be around the mark

mjp
01-11-2010, 06:42 PM
Bottom 3

West Coast
Richmond
Gold Coast

Brisbane and Essendon could be around the mark

I would LOVE that!

Twodogs
03-11-2010, 09:41 AM
Essendon could be around the mark

I would LOVE that!

Wouldnt we all Mike. Wouldnt we all?

LostDoggy
23-11-2010, 02:02 PM
GC:

- First year in the comp
- Up to 1/3 or more of their team, for majority of the season, will be made up of kids in their first year of AFL
- Little experience (see above)
- Kids will tire toward the end of the season
- Kids may develop OP etc if they're not managed correctly
- Couple of injuries to key players and that means more untried kids (Brennan and Fraser injury-prone)
- Lack of comprehension of tactics due to age of new younger players.
- Forward line?

Mainly due to the age and inexperience of the 2010 draft boys

LostDoggy
23-11-2010, 05:45 PM
GC:

- First year in the comp
- Up to 1/3 or more of their team, for majority of the season, will be made up of kids in their first year of AFL
- Little experience (see above)
- Kids will tire toward the end of the season
- Kids may develop OP etc if they're not managed correctly
- Couple of injuries to key players and that means more untried kids (Brennan and Fraser injury-prone)
- Lack of comprehension of tactics due to age of new younger players.
- Forward line?

Mainly due to the age and inexperience of the 2010 draft boys

This.

GC should be last by a country mile. Anyone who finishes below them next year is seriously screwed.

I would be disappointed if we didn't beat GC in our games against them in their first year (hopefully first two or three years) by a minimum of 100 points.

Ghost Dog
23-11-2010, 08:03 PM
My wooden spoon selection is Hawthorn. Lot of changes/delistings and not all for the better. Early season injuries to key players will put them out of contention by round 9. Keeping the Hawks company in the cellar will be Richmond and Westcoast.

The dawks. Oh please football gods, let it be the yellow and brown.
I have a feeling Essendon will just beat WC to be spooners. Just think the Hird / Bthompson thing will be a disaster.

soupman
23-11-2010, 09:05 PM
Last will be West Coast.

Gold Coast will manage to cobble together a few wins because as long as their stars fire and everyone else just holds their own they will be good enough to beat some sides.

I'm really hoping Essendon is a disaster, but I think it will follow a similiar formline to Voss at Brisbane, with the first year being pretty solid and promising, before it all just turns to shit the following season.

LostDoggy
23-11-2010, 10:03 PM
The dawks. Oh please football gods, let it be the yellow and brown.
I have a feeling Essendon will just beat WC to be spooners. Just think the Hird / Bthompson thing will be a disaster.

Certainly would make many swoon,
The AFL 2011 wooden spoon.
If fate fairly takes the option to choose,
Those grown to be known as 'the piss and poos.'

;)

Ghost Dog
24-11-2010, 05:29 PM
Certainly would make many swoon,
The AFL 2011 wooden spoon.
If fate fairly takes the option to choose,
Those grown to be known as 'the piss and poos.'

;)

sublime!

LostDoggy
24-11-2010, 06:22 PM
The Lions my choice

LostDoggy
26-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Last will be West Coast.

Gold Coast will manage to cobble together a few wins because as long as their stars fire and everyone else just holds their own they will be good enough to beat some sides.

I'm really hoping Essendon is a disaster, but I think it will follow a similiar formline to Voss at Brisbane, with the first year being pretty solid and promising, before it all just turns to shit the following season.

I think Essendon will do well with Hird and Thompson running the show. Mediocrity will not be accepted under those two in any circumstance whatsoever, and all players will be playing for their careers, from the best to the worst on the list.

We always underestimate Essendon. Everybody does. I'm tipping 8-12 as a finish.

Ghost Dog
26-11-2010, 03:29 PM
I think Essendon will do well with Hird and Thompson running the show. Mediocrity will not be accepted under those two in any circumstance whatsoever, and all players will be playing for their careers, from the best to the worst on the list.

the jackboot apporoach eh? Can also backfire. They have some decent talls, but seem a bit weak in their midfield.

LostDoggy
29-11-2010, 12:22 PM

Why does everyone think this is so important? Do you think other coaches go around accepting mediocrity lightly? Does Voss seem like one who would? Did Tim Watson? Coaching has a lot less to do with extrinsic motivation these days as development, list management, gameplan cohesion, communication, and gameday tactics. Thomson would be well-versed in all of these, but will Hird listen? Will Thomson be happy to be second banana?

And all this is irrelevant if your list is crap -- you can't 'motivate' a list to outperform its own potential.. you can design a strategy that maximises their strengths and minimises their weaknesses (something Paul Roos did well), but their skill level will always be a limiting factor. Even Geelong was crap under Thomson for a while before Gablett turned it on and dragged the rest of the team with him.

Ghost Dog
29-11-2010, 04:06 PM
Why does everyone think this is so important? Do you think other coaches go around accepting mediocrity lightly? Does Voss seem like one who would? Did Tim Watson?

Agreed . Malcom Blight at St Kilda. That worked well didn't it?

LostDoggy
29-11-2010, 06:11 PM
The Lions my choice

Agree, followed by GC.

KT31
29-11-2010, 11:28 PM

Good players very rarely make good coaches.(IMO Hird will be OK)
Its not a matter of accepting mediocrity , its a matter of putting the right wheels in motion to be able to change it.

LostDoggy
01-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Good players very rarely make good coaches.(IMO Hird will be OK)
Its not a matter of accepting mediocrity , its a matter of putting the right wheels in motion to be able to change it.

Exactly.

Being told you're not performing without a system in place to help you perform can only lead to pressure and frustration, not better performance.

Cyberdoggie
01-12-2010, 04:33 PM
Agree, followed by GC.

Same.

A dissapointing result for the AFL with the 2 Queensland teams last.

I think Brisbane are stuffed as long as Voss is in charge up there.

chef
01-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Same.

A dissapointing result for the AFL with the 2 Queensland teams last.

I think Brisbane are stuffed as long as Voss is in charge up there.

And then after he's gone it will take them years to fix the place.

Dry Rot
04-12-2010, 08:43 PM
And then after he's gone it will take them years to fix the place.

Maybe the AFL will fast track it again, and merge them with a weak bankrupt Vic Team = The Brisbane Kangaroos.