PDA

View Full Version : Dale Morris to midfield

bornadog
24-07-2007, 04:12 PM
Reading a few comments on another forum, it got me thinking about Morris and our backline. With the emergence of Williams and Everritt, Harris playing well and Wight a possible, does this now allow us to bring Dale Morris into the midfield as a "run with tagging player", along the mold of Ling?

Any thoughts, do we need some one like this, and if so, would Morris fit the bill or is he wasted there and his best role is the backline?

Sockeye Salmon
24-07-2007, 04:22 PM
Morris is still our only lock-down, smallish defender.

I don't doubt he could do a good job as a midfield stopper but who would be able to do his current role? Addison perhaps?

Mantis
24-07-2007, 05:11 PM
With Gilbee out for the next 3 weeks we need Morris to play his usual role in the backline. We don't have much depth with small/ medium sized defenders at present and until that changes Dale has to do the job for us.

bornadog
24-07-2007, 06:14 PM
With Gilbee out for the next 3 weeks we need Morris to play his usual role in the backline. We don't have much depth with small/ medium sized defenders at present and until that changes Dale has to do the job for us.

Agree, I was thinking for the future.

Bulldog Revolution
24-07-2007, 10:16 PM
I think there is a fair bit of merit in it. We haven't seen enough of Morris in the role to really know how he will perform, but he certainly has the application and concentration down pat. I guess the other question is whether his skills are good enough to hurt an opposition midfielder? but perhaps its the next step in his evolution.

Addison is a prime candidate to be developed as a tagger, he appears quick enough and tough enough. The main area I think he has struggled this year has been decision making - choosing which option is the right option etc.

I've enjoyed the challenges being given to Farren Ray at times this year, because sooner rather than later we are going to need him to step up and be able to go head to head with a gun.

bornadog
24-07-2007, 11:21 PM
I think there is a fair bit of merit in it. We haven't seen enough of Morris in the role to really know how he will perform, but he certainly has the application and concentration down pat. I guess the other question is whether his skills are good enough to hurt an opposition midfielder? but perhaps its the next step in his evolution.

Addison is a prime candidate to be developed as a tagger, he appears quick enough and tough enough. The main area I think he has struggled this year has been decision making - choosing which option is the right option etc.

I've enjoyed the challenges being given to Farren Ray at times this year, because sooner rather than later we are going to need him to step up and be able to go head to head with a gun.

You have thrown up a couple names there and I believe they are also possibles. Surprisingly Ray is around the 90kg mark and I do believe Eade has asked him to take on such a role a few times this year.

Go_Dogs
25-07-2007, 11:13 AM
I'd vote for Ray and Addison.

Bulldog Revolution
25-07-2007, 02:22 PM
I'd vote for Ray and Addison.

Ray doesn't seem to naturally have the same defensive instincts as Addison but the benefit to Ray is he plays on someone who helps him find the ball consistently and teaches him exactly where to run and how to stay involved.

Addison seems to naturally have the defensive skills, but probably needs to learn how to hurt an opposition side more when he has the ball

Go_Dogs
25-07-2007, 02:26 PM
Ray more so for his endurance, and his marking/overhead ability could be important too for such instances as when a tagger is dragged back to the goal square, rather than his defensive efforts. I think it's a good way to help develop players and show them where to run and win the ball much as you say. Showing the work rate required to be a top level player would also be important.

Mofra
25-07-2007, 09:52 PM
Morris is still our only lock-down, smallish defender.

I don't doubt he could do a good job as a midfield stopper but who would be able to do his current role? Addison perhaps?
This is where I think D-Mac can still make the side given a decent, injury free pre-season.

Still have hopes for the kid, but see him as a BP type more than the midfield or "opportunist" forward role he was given last year.

Go_Dogs
26-07-2007, 10:25 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if he snuck in for a game late this year, question is whether he has the speed off the mark or the closing speed.

bornadog
19-04-2010, 11:57 PM
Reading a few comments on another forum, it got me thinking about Morris and our backline. With the emergence of Williams and Everritt, Harris playing well and Wight a possible, does this now allow us to bring Dale Morris into the midfield as a "run with tagging player", along the mold of Ling?

Any thoughts, do we need some one like this, and if so, would Morris fit the bill or is he wasted there and his best role is the backline?

Any takers now that our midfield has a few injuries?

jazzadogs
20-04-2010, 12:04 AM
Didn't take notice of the date when I started reading this, and shat myself when I read that Gilbee was out for three weeks :o

Obviously didn't take much notice of Wight being mentioned though...

I think Morris is far too important to our backline, Addison is still our best option for a run-with player.

AndrewP6
20-04-2010, 12:11 AM
I think Morris is far too important to our backline, Addison is still our best option for a run-with player.

Agreed....

LostDoggy
20-04-2010, 12:28 AM
lol @ me and the Dates to. thinking wtf, didnt see Gilbee injured and since when is there a Wight in our team again hehehe.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-04-2010, 12:31 AM
Too important for now, but having said that, his form has been ordinary so far this season.

Morton did OK against him, Roughead should have kicked 6+ and Fevola out-muscled him on a number of occasions.

Hopefully Morris improves over the next few weeks.

chef
20-04-2010, 07:50 AM
Will be needed on Walker after he killed us last year.

Go_Dogs
20-04-2010, 11:29 AM
Will be needed on Walker after he killed us last year.

I'd like to see Everitt play on Walker who has been spending more time up the field this season.

For mine, Morris could be a good option on someone like Chris Knights, who is starting to hit his straps and is probably the Crow who can do the most damage. Burton is another option, but he's out of form and could be a good test for Williams.