PDA

View Full Version : Whitten Oval or Etihad

Twodogs
28-10-2010, 01:36 PM
It's been a while now.

Simple question, do you prefer Etihad or Whitten Oval?

LostDoggy
28-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Given that it now has a reputation, even if it is undeserved, I would say that Whitten Oval is a better place, but it doesn't have the capacity to be sitting comforatbly like Etihad does. We'll obviously never be back there. I just wish the problems at Etihad weren't there at all. If it is actually true that it does badly impact on players health then surely over a year that doesn't bode well for our playing group. It may even only be a mental thing, but we we play the majotiry of our games there. Even just throw Cooney and Higgins back into the mix at the end of this year and it could've been oh so different.

At least it will always be our spiritual home Whitten Oval. I have nothing but good memories.

LostDoggy
28-10-2010, 01:54 PM
I LOVED the Western Oval. It was OUR home ground and I grew up going to games on a SATURDAY AFTERNOON there. Having said that, I have become used to the comfort of Etihad Stadium and not having to stand/sit in the cold and rain at the footy. It is easy to get to on public transport (from my side of town) too. I'd like the Bulldogs to get a better financial deal there though.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
28-10-2010, 03:50 PM
Do you think Saturday afternoon footy will catch on?

LostDoggy
28-10-2010, 04:01 PM
I love having my Saturday arvos free..I can go to the local footy or Take the lovely one to the movies...I do miss the Whitten Oval, but I am now a big fan of the indoor footy on a Sunday arvo! I voted the last option.

LostDoggy
28-10-2010, 04:29 PM
I loved the Western/Whitten oval, but now I just love Etihad, that was then and this is now !
I get home from Etihad to Werribee in less than half an hour, it is made for us in the west.
Towards the end of this season, I noticed some little things they are doing to make it feel like home, for example when entering the underground car park there was signs saying "The home of the Western Bulldogs", a lot more of this type of thing will help to make it more like home.

OLD SCRAGGer
28-10-2010, 04:41 PM
I loved the Western/Whitten oval, but now I just love Etihad, that was then and this is now !
I get home from Etihad to Werribee in less than half an hour, it is made for us in the west.
Towards the end of this season, I noticed some little things they are doing to make it feel like home, for example when entering the underground car park there was signs saying "The home of the Western Bulldogs", a lot more of this type of thing will help to make it more like home.

TOTALLY agree with OldBulldog. Just love Etihad, I too make it home to Werribee in 30 mins. Love the car park signs "Home of Western Bulldogs". Now that the Lockett end is becoming "The Footscray End" is GREAT. In the past, the bay next to us was filled with Opposition supporters, HOPEFULLY the Footscray End will be JUST us Doggies Members!!!!!:)

The Pie Man
28-10-2010, 06:02 PM
How well have Geelong done with Kardinia/Skilled? I'm jealous

LostDoggy
28-10-2010, 06:11 PM
How well have Geelong done with Kardinia/Skilled? I'm jealous

How true. That'd be awesome if we could do something like that at the Whitten Oval. Are we locked into a contract with Etihad?

bornadog
28-10-2010, 06:23 PM
How true. That'd be awesome if we could do something like that at the Whitten Oval. Are we locked into a contract with Etihad?

We don't have $100 million.

Cyberdoggie
28-10-2010, 06:35 PM
We don't have $100 million.

It would be great if we had 100 million!

Wait Collingwood have that and they haven't bothered with Vic Park.

I guess times have changed and we have all moved on from those Glory days.

I do often dream that if i was rich I would spend it all refurbing Whitten oval to play AFL.
It would have a roof that opens like a convertible, and we would decide at any stage if we wanted it open or closed. Ie by half time we could open the roof after we were 10 goals up and let in the rain so the opposition could win. :p

The Pie Man
29-10-2010, 09:52 AM
It would be great if we had 100 million!

Wait Collingwood have that and they haven't bothered with Vic Park.

I guess times have changed and we have all moved on from those Glory days.

I do often dream that if i was rich I would spend it all refurbing Whitten oval to play AFL.
It would have a roof that opens like a convertible, and we would decide at any stage if we wanted it open or closed. Ie by half time we could open the roof after we were 10 goals up and let in the rain so the opposition could win. :p

Unless they ever considered rebuilding that joint to hold 80K + the MCG suits them better anyway.

Dream time, but I reckon a 35-40K 'boutique' (as is the term I believe) stadium at WO would suit us, much like Skilled does the Cats for their 4-6 home games there a year.

Aside from the lack of coin made from our home games, I don't really mind Etihad - would be nice if somewhere on Level 1 was GA but I don't mind standing room there - I'd just love a deal to play interstate clubs at the WO should it be fit to host them

strebla
29-10-2010, 10:52 AM
The Western Oval will always be where my heart is so I went with the still be happy to be there option in saying that I know it is unrealistic but I will always vote with my heart.
I just feel that under the roof a fair amount of the tribalism is missing from AFL but it is much more family friendly.

Bulldog4life
29-10-2010, 12:52 PM
I loved, and I do still love Whitten Oval and I have many happy memories of the ground. But times have moved on. I like the atmosphere at Etihad. Especially now living in Rosebud I don't mind the drive to Docklands but Footscray is that little bit further....especially for the wife.

LostDoggy
29-10-2010, 02:20 PM
Love to bring Football back to Footscray. Play interstate teams there, Vic teams at etihad. Simple. As Geelong who pocket about $500,000 a game when they play at skilled stadium

LostDoggy
29-10-2010, 02:31 PM
Love to bring Football back to Footscray. Play interstate teams there, Vic teams at etihad. Simple. As Geelong who pocket about $500,000 a game when they play at skilled stadium

The ground isn't up to AFL standard, from a broadcast, seating and amenities perspective.

LostDoggy
29-10-2010, 03:13 PM
The ground isn't up to AFL standard, from a broadcast, seating and amenities perspective.

Bulldoze the debt.

Borrow again to upgrade WO to AFL standards.

Then bulldoze the debt again when we play games in Footscray.

Mantis
29-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Bulldoze the debt.

Borrow again to upgrade WO to AFL standards.

Then bulldoze the debt again when we play games in Footscray.

It would probably cost us in excess of $50mil to bring the ground up to AFL standards.

At present we are struggling to pay off a $5mil debt, so how hard do you think it would be to wipe off one that is at least 10x that amount?

LostDoggy
29-10-2010, 03:24 PM
It would probably cost us in excess of $50mil to bring the ground up to AFL standards.

At present we are struggling to pay off a $5mil debt, so how hard do you think it would be to wipe off one that is at least 10x that amount?
I know, it's just wishful thinking.

Sedat
29-10-2010, 03:42 PM

Would only be feasible in the highly unlikely event that the AFL decides to locate their proposed boutique stadium at the kennel instead of the North Melbourne railworks. Even though there is only a miniscule opening there, I would like Cam Rose and the team to explore this with AFL HQ just to test the waters. If you don't ask, you don't get.

LostDoggy
29-10-2010, 04:19 PM
Would only be feasible in the highly unlikely event that the AFL decides to locate their proposed boutique stadium at the kennel instead of the North Melbourne railworks. Even though there is only a miniscule opening there, I would like Cam Rose and the team to explore this with AFL HQ just to test the waters. If you don't ask, you don't get.

I've said this ad nauseum in past threads.

Have to push this as hard as humanly possible -- it just makes SO MUCH sense from an AFL point of view too as a sustainable solution. I know this is a sports mad city, but another standalone boutique stadium (especially with the potential to upgrade one just up the road) is just crazy talk.