PDA

View Full Version : Delistings @ October 29 Thorne and Boumann gone.

gohardorgohome
29-10-2010, 09:22 PM
Noticed that the following players have been delisted as of today on AFL.com.au

Jason Akermanis
Jarrad Boumann
Tim Callan (ret.)
Nathan Eagleton (ret.)
Andrejs Everitt (trd)
Jarrod Harbrow (GC)
Brad Johnson (ret.)
Shane Thorne

I wonder if this is all.

FrediKanoute
29-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Based on that Tiller, Mulligan and Hahn survived the chop.......well its last chance saloon for all of them I would guess. Shame Boumann didn't grab the chance he was offered

GVGjr
29-10-2010, 09:32 PM
Based on that Tiller, Mulligan and Hahn survived the chop.......well its last chance saloon for all of them I would guess. Shame Boumann didn't grab the chance he was offered

I genuinely feel sorry for Boumann and its a shame he didn't progress much this year. On football ability alone he shouldn't have been de-listed however, we all know that these decisions are often based on a lot more things than just ability.

Perhaps a rookie list spot if not with us but at least someone else could provide him with another chance.

GVGjr
29-10-2010, 09:38 PM
Just checked the Bulldogs site and zilch. Communication from our media team is just about non existent.

G-Mo77
29-10-2010, 10:09 PM
I'll try and break it down, please correct me if I'm way off.

Out:
Jason Akermanis
Jarrad Boumann
Tim Callan (ret.)
Nathan Eagleton (ret.)
Andrejs Everitt (trd)
Jarrod Harbrow (GC)
Brad Johnson (ret.)
Shane Thorne

8 Players

In:
Hooper (Promoted Rookie)
Moles (Promoted Rookie)
Veszpremi
Sherman
Djerrkura
Wallis F/S
Liberatore F/S

7 Players

So only 1 live pick in the National Draft?

Templeton31
29-10-2010, 10:10 PM
thorne doesnt seem like a waste of a draft pick if he's gone after a year. barely played a game before injured so i assume he must really have not been up to it.

The Coon Dog
29-10-2010, 10:11 PM

Out:
Jason Akermanis
Jarrad Boumann
Tim Callan (ret.)
Nathan Eagleton (ret.)
Andrejs Everitt (trd)
Jarrod Harbrow (GC)
Brad Johnson (ret.)
Shane Thorne

8 Players

In:
Hooper (Promoted Rookie)
Moles (Promoted Rookie)
Veszpremi
Sherman
Djerrkura
Wallis F/S
Liberatore F/S

7 Players

Gilbee & Hargrave off the Primary List & onto the Veteran's List. Allows 2 more picks in the draft.

Oops! Disregard that as it is wrong.

G-Mo77
29-10-2010, 10:13 PM
Gilbee & Hargrave off the Primary List & onto the Veteran's List. Allows 2 more picks in the draft.

Oops! Disregard that as it is wrong.

Now I have to edit......

:)

lemmon
29-10-2010, 10:17 PM
Not sure how we can justify Mulligan over Boumann to be honest. Perhaps Mulligan can provide a bit more versatility and is more physically mature but other then that I have no idea how he could be seen as superior.

comrade
30-10-2010, 12:56 AM
A sad day, indeed.

At least I can get to say that I saw Boumann play his only game in the red, white and blue - albeit a NAB Cup game. Played in Canberra. Against Brisbane. In 6 inches of rain.

On Valentines Day.

Farewell, sweet prince.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-10-2010, 01:08 AM
Much rather see Tiller, Hahn and Mulligan find the door before Boumann. As GVG said, not all is built on football ability, but I fail to see what the first two - especially - offer us moving forward.

LostDoggy
30-10-2010, 01:23 AM
Boumann talented? He was terrible at the last vfl game.Expected delisting.

LostDoggy
30-10-2010, 07:07 AM
Regarding the rookie list, only two was retainded. What happens to the other rookies? Pat Rose etc???

chef
30-10-2010, 07:40 AM

Out:
Jason Akermanis
Jarrad Boumann
Tim Callan (ret.)
Nathan Eagleton (ret.)
Andrejs Everitt (trd)
Jarrod Harbrow (GC)
Brad Johnson (ret.)
Shane Thorne

8 Players

In:
Hooper (Promoted Rookie)
Moles (Promoted Rookie)
Veszpremi
Sherman
Djerrkura
Wallis F/S
Liberatore F/S

7 Players

With Dalrymple saying we are going to use our forth and two fifth round selections there needs to be a couple more delistings(unless the rookie upgrades we be the fifth round picks).

So we can take 4 Rookies and 3 in the ND(inc F/S's) ATM

LostDoggy
30-10-2010, 08:47 AM
I'm not sad yet, i think he'll be picked again as a rookie for us. I thought he showed promise this season with Willy - not outstanding in anyway - but to me appeared to be learning the role of a Shaggy.

Remember his hair when he first got here? Substandard :)

Mofra
30-10-2010, 04:01 PM
Boumann talented? He was terrible at the last vfl game.Expected delisting.
Bingo. Obviously there is a tendancy to rate youngsters higher than more proven performers, but if I had a choice between keepign Tiller & Boumann I'd go with Tiller every time.

LostDoggy
30-10-2010, 07:01 PM
I suspect the club hasnt made any announcements yet because they are not finished yet.

Mantis
30-10-2010, 07:14 PM
I'm not sad yet, i think he'll be picked again as a rookie for us. I thought he showed promise this season with Willy - not outstanding in anyway - but to me appeared to be learning the role of a Shaggy.

Remember his hair when he first got here? Substandard :)

What did you see that most of us didn't?

LostDoggy
01-11-2010, 09:43 AM
What did you see that most of us didn't?

Concerntration on his role. I don't think he's a natural footballer, i don't think he reads the game terribly well, but watching him a number of times last season i thought that he showed a deserive to learn his position, his role. You could almost see it on his face.

As someone showed stats on another page (11 senior games at Willy in 09, 17 in 10) he wasn't in and out of the side. German etc must have believed he was doing his role. Since Mulligan has been at the club i reckon he's spent more time (vastly more time) on the sidelines than on the park. Who's shown more promise, considering both look like they're being (were being primed) for the ame area of the park?

If it's attitude - then so be it - but i think he's a decent chance to be rookied.

LostDoggy
02-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Can't believe there isn't anything official on the website yet, what's going on?

GVGjr
02-11-2010, 10:52 AM
Can't believe there isn't anything official on the website yet, what's going on?

Our media department just isn't very good at timely communication. They have been poor for a couple of years now.
Other than getting on the front foot when the likes of Akermanis or Sherman say the wrong things in the media they aren't good communicators with the fans and the site reflects that.

Mantis
02-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Our media department just isn't very good at timely communication. They have been poor for a couple of years now.
Other than getting on the front foot when the likes of Akermanis or Sherman say the wrong things in the media they aren't good communicators with the fans and the site reflects that.

Would this have to do with the number of staff we have in our media department which I guess would be less than most other clubs.

G-Mo77
02-11-2010, 11:22 PM
Would this have to do with the number of staff we have in our media department which I guess would be less than most other clubs.

I can't speak for other clubs as I don't make a habit of going and looking at them but I certainly hope that is not the case. It's not hard to update a web-page every now and then especially during this time of the season. In this day and age it's a necessity to keep users hitting the site. If users aren't going there for the latest news the club misses out on advertising for memberships, the Bulldogs shop and other events.

If they need more staff I'm more than willing to put my hand up and volunteer to help with keeping the official site up to date. I'm sure thousands more would be willing to do the same.

Sorry getting off topic. Delist.....ummmm???? Markovic and Tiller. :D

GVGjr
02-11-2010, 11:47 PM

I wouldn't think so and I'm not comparing us to other clubs but rather to previous years. In the past we were far more pro-active with communication and definitely more approachable.

Updating a website with de-listing details for example isn't a huge task either and yet 5 days on and there is no official word on there about Boumann and Thorne.
The problem is that they use the site to promote the club but not necessarily to inform the fans and that is a poor direction in my opinion. They can do both.
If a perception needs to be rectified (ie like Shermans comments) we would have had something on there the next day to ensure the club is seen as being professional.
We are however, clearly not as passionate about informing the supporters what is happening at the club.

Just on the area of staff numbers, we seem to drag up the issue of money, equipment and resources every time to explain why the club cannot perform to the required level and whilst that is a factor, to me it isn't a good excuse in every example and certainly not in the area of communication.

LostDoggy
03-11-2010, 11:54 AM
There are florists (and plenty of other small businesses) that have better and more updated websites than us, so staffing numbers is certainly not a valid excuse.

Oh, but don't worry, I've just heard on the grapevine that they're just about ready to post the article announcing Scott Wynd's retirement to start the process of clearing up the news backlog that has been building for a few years.

Murphy'sLore
03-11-2010, 11:56 AM
I for one certainly look here first for information rather than the club website.

soupman
03-11-2010, 12:17 PM
There are florists (and plenty of other small businesses) that have better and more updated websites than us, so staffing numbers is certainly not a valid excuse.

Oh, but don't worry, I've just heard on the grapevine that they're just about ready to post the article announcing Scott Wynd's retirement to start the process of clearing up the news backlog that has been building for a few years.

Scott Wynd retired?

Desipura
03-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Scott Wynd retired?
Its a joke. Lantern is just making a point of how slow they do things at the club regarding their website.

soupman
03-11-2010, 12:24 PM
I probably should have added one of these faces: ;):D:eek:

The Coon Dog
03-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Its a joke. Lantern is just making a point of how slow they do things at the club regarding their website.

I understand the decision on not putting up the delistings on the club's website was a Football Department decision, preferring to wait until all the delistings have been completed.

GVGjr
03-11-2010, 12:34 PM

I understand that there is probably only minimal money to be made from the website (if at all) but if the club wants to look after the interstate and overseas supporters of the club then it is far from being as informative as it could easily be.

One thing that really stands out is the quality and frequency of the Williamstown reports which I think all overseas and interstate supporters in particular would welcome. Given the access to match day statistics it wouldn't be hard to come up with a decent reporting format that would give the supporters that can't attend the game a better vision of how the emerging players are performing.

LostDoggy
03-11-2010, 02:39 PM
You know, WOOF is pretty up to date with the latest, usually written up in a format that is easily transferable to an official website with minor tweaking -- if I were involved in Bulldogs Central I would look at partnering with one of the more passionate, erudite and up to date supporter forums going around to help with keeping their info current.

They get access to a group of people that are on the internet a lot anyway (and for whom updating a site is no biggie, especially those of us who actually do this stuff for a living), and we get more access to the club etc. (although, with the access some of us already have it's no real incentive..)

chef
03-11-2010, 05:05 PM
I understand the decision on not putting up the delistings on the club's website was a Football Department decision, preferring to wait until all the delistings have been completed.

So there is more to come?

GVGjr
03-11-2010, 05:23 PM
So there is more to come?

This Friday there might be some more amendments to the list.

GVGjr
03-11-2010, 05:40 PM

Thanks for the heads up.
North Melbourne chose a different, and I think much better, approach and posted an update last week at about 3.30pm. I'm not sure if it was the absolute final changes by North but at least their fans know what is happening with their players.

LostDoggy
03-11-2010, 11:05 PM
Why did Scott Wynd retire ...... is he injured?

MrMahatma
04-11-2010, 06:47 AM
I understand that there is probably only minimal money to be made from the website (if at all) but if the club wants to look after the interstate and overseas supporters of the club then it is far from informative as it could easily be.

One thing that really stands out is the quality and frequency of the Williamstown reports which I think all overseas and interstate supporters in particular would welcome. Given the access to match day statistics it wouldn't be hard to come up with a decent reporting format that would give the supporters that can't attend the game a better vision of how the emerging players are performing.
Our website should be the first point of call for fans. If that happens and we can get better efficiency for selling memberships etc we save money.

No excuses for a business neglecting the website.

GVGjr
04-11-2010, 08:15 AM
Our website should be the first point of call for fans. If that happens and we can get better efficiency for selling memberships etc we save money.

No excuses for a business neglecting the website.

As TCD pointed out, it was business decision by the footy department not to post details on the first lot of player de-listings but I suppose that decision in itself sums up how the site is being used by the club.
I checked a few other clubs like North Melbourne and Melbourne and as far as I am concerned their approach was better.

I think we have become too clinical with sharing information on the site and basically there isn't a lot of incentive for fans to check the site frequently.

GVGjr
04-11-2010, 11:45 AM
It wouldn't surprise me to see Boumann picked up as a rookie but a side like Essendon. It might just be the spur to get him fully focused on his football.

The Coon Dog
04-11-2010, 12:21 PM
This from the Western Bulldogs on Facebook:

Hello all. Just to let you know we will be annoucning our list changes early next week. It is not yet complete, hence the delay...Go Dogs!

Dogs 24/7
04-11-2010, 12:35 PM
This from the Western Bulldogs on Facebook:

Hello all. Just to let you know we will be annoucning our list changes early next week. It is not yet complete, hence the delay...Go Dogs!

Putting messages facebook before the website seems to be arse about. Not everyone is a facebook member.
They obviously want the fans to check the website and then twitter and facebook to get the full picture.
I won't be going to that measure.

Jasper
04-11-2010, 12:59 PM
I saw the announcement on Twitter.
So we are advising people that things arent completed yet but we dont want to confirm that Boumann and Thorne have already gone and that we haven't got an offer on the table for Hahn.
Most supporters would know roughly what is happening but the club wont confirm or deny anything.
Isnt twitter about providing regular updates as they happen not advising us on pending or upcoming announcements?
It sounds like this is a half hearted effort to inform us.
Very strange.

boydogs
04-11-2010, 09:21 PM
Putting messages facebook before the website seems to be arse about. Not everyone is a facebook member.
They obviously want the fans to check the website and then twitter and facebook to get the full picture.
I won't be going to that measure.

Facebook allows you to effectively send messages to people to tell them something, as opposed to people having to keep going to the website to check if something is there. The idea would be to use facebook to alert fans to the website updates, which then prompts them to go to the website.