PDA

View Full Version : Matthew Boyd keen to be top dog at Whitten Oval

The Coon Dog
31-10-2010, 11:27 PM
Daryl Timms - Herald Sun - 31 October

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2010/04/19/1225855/691630-matthew-boyd.jpg

CONSISTENT Western Bulldog Matthew Boyd has declared his interest in taking over the captaincy from Brad Johnson who retired at the end of the season.

Boyd has already spoken with coach Rodney Eade about the key leadership role.

"I would love to be captain of the footy club," Boyd said. "No doubt I will put my hand up for that.

"It's just a matter of who the club sees fit as skipper, and also the playing group will have a bit to say about that as well. I will put my hand up and it would be a great honour but you don't need a badge to be a leader and that's the view I have on it.

Article in full... (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/matthew-boyd-keen-to-be-top-dog-at-whitten-oval/story-e6frf9jf-1225945835364)

LostDoggy
01-11-2010, 01:01 AM
He would be my choice (from a long distance away from how he is in the team environment). His endeavour is untouched in this group and his willingness to get in and under is inspirational.

LostDoggy
01-11-2010, 07:58 AM
My vote over Gia any day. Tough and consistent.

The Coon Dog
01-11-2010, 09:08 AM
My vote over Gia any day. Tough and consistent.

Consistent at what? Missing targets, non accountability?

GVGjr
01-11-2010, 09:16 AM
Consistent at what? Missing targets, non accountability?

Getting the football and training hard and being a great role model.

He's not on his own with the deficiencies you mentioned .

The Coon Dog
01-11-2010, 09:26 AM

No, but he never seems to be held accountable as others are. Too many 'supporters' only see what they want, conveniently forgetting he played on Ablett, Swan & Hayes in vital games last year when those 3 were racking up possessions, but were largely ignored by Boyd. Would Gia have gotten off scott free if he played on those 3?

GVGjr
01-11-2010, 10:07 AM
Would Gia have gotten off scott free if he played on those 3?

He would never been given those sort of jobs to begin with.
There area few candidates for the captaincy and Boyd and Giansiracusa are two of them. I doubt the decision will come down to just a comparison of their defensive skills.
Neither of them are ideal options in my opinion but I'd like to know what the club feels will be the one strength that sets the guys apart.

Sockeye Salmon
01-11-2010, 10:20 AM
Getting the football and training hard and being a great role model.

Gia trains just as hard and is equally as good a role model.

Boyd gets more of the ball but that's mostly because they play different positions. When Boyd was out and Gia played in the midfield he got similar numbers.

ratsmac
01-11-2010, 10:40 AM
Can we just have no captain next year? I not keen on either of these two mentioned above. Great players in their own right, but captain material I'm just not sure. I personally think that Dale Morris fits the mould of a captain, but I think I'm up for a younger more long term option. In saying that I don't think we have anyone of that ilk right now. Another one I think would be a good captain would be Bob Murphy, but then again he can go missing in games.
Maybe a Sydney\Stkilda co captaincy setup is on the cards because you can throw up half a dozen names and have plenty of pros and cons for each of them. It's a good problem to have though. I look at say an essendon list and struggle to find anyone fit to be a captain, and that is including their captain. So I'm glad its the club who has to make this decision and not me because I'm really good at making wrong ones.

GVGjr
01-11-2010, 11:23 AM
Gia trains just as hard and is equally as good a role model.

Boyd gets more of the ball but that's mostly because they play different positions. When Boyd was out and Gia played in the midfield he got similar numbers.

I don't have a problem with Gia and I'm not sure why the focus has turned back onto him given there was initially just one comment preferring Boyd over Giansiracusa. It was just a choice or a preference.

I think its a good thing that Boyd has chucked his hat into the captaincy ring. Whilst Gia might be the the MC preference and also a lot of people on the forums I can also understand why a lot of people don't think it's necessarily a great decision.

Bulldog Revolution
01-11-2010, 11:40 AM
The criticism of Boyd being unaccountable has to be partially acknowledged as being related to coaching of the midfield, and coaching more generally.

To suggest otherwise would be implying that Boyd just runs around doing what he wants in the midfield and not what he is told. I find it unlikely Boyd would not take instruction.

I think 2011 will be close to Gias last year of AFL football and partly on that basis dont think he is a good choice for captain,

I think Gia is smart, articulate, a good role model/leader, but Boyd would be my pick out of the two

LostDoggy
01-11-2010, 11:57 AM
I don't have a problem with Gia and I'm not sure why the focus has turned back onto him given there was initially just one comment preferring Boyd over Giansiracusa. It was just a choice or a preference.

Not speaking for SS here, but I think his point is that if the reasons stated for Boydy are good enough for the captaincy, it should be good enough for Gia, but since most of us DON'T think that Gia should be captain, it's hypocritical for people to then turn around support Boydy based on some erroneous perception that he does certain things better than Gia.

Neither of them are captain material, plain and simple (which is not an attack on them personally, or any comment on their work ethic or anything like that). To pick either of them would be simply pandering to the politics of the locker room, nothing else, and certainly not for the benefit of the team on-field.

The real leaders on the field last year were Morris (backline), Griff (middle -- even over Coons, I think), Hudson (stoppages) and Hall (up forward). The captain should come from one of these (who should all be in the leadership group), with a young 'un as vice-captain, both for long-term development and to connect with the younger half of our dressing room.

GVGjr
01-11-2010, 11:59 AM
The criticism of Boyd being unaccountable has to be partially acknowledged as being related to coaching of the midfield, and coaching more generally.

To suggest otherwise would be implying that Boyd just runs around doing what he wants in the midfield and not what he is told. I find it unlikely Boyd would not take instruction.

Even if Boyd wasn't following instructions wouldn't the onus be on the match committee to either set him straight in no uncertain terms or drop him for not following the rules?

bornadog
01-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Even if Boyd wasn't following instructions wouldn't the onus be on the match committee to either set him straight in no uncertain terms or drop him for not following the rules?

You would expect so.

bornadog
01-11-2010, 01:35 PM
The real leaders on the field last year were Morris (backline), Griff (middle -- even over Coons, I think), Hudson (stoppages) and Hall (up forward). The captain should come from one of these (who should all be in the leadership group), with a young 'un as vice-captain, both for long-term development and to connect with the younger half of our dressing room.

Hall and Hudson - too old.

Griff too quiet

Morris - possible

Cooney - also possible and my pick.

The captain has not only got to be a leader on the ground but he also has duties off the ground, representing the club at functions, with media etc . We also want the captain to be around for at least three years , which eliminates Hall and Hudson.

GVGjr
01-11-2010, 01:36 PM
You would expect so.

Malthouse did it years ago with Hardie.

GVGjr
01-11-2010, 01:40 PM
Cooney - also possible and my pick.

The captain has not only got to be a leader on the ground but he also has duties off the ground, representing the club at functions, with media etc . We also want the captain to be around for at least three years , which eliminates Hall and Hudson.

I fail to see what so many others see in Cooney as a potential captain.

His effort at the players sponsors night was just sub-par and its not the only time I have seen him at functions not represent the club in the right manner.

bornadog
01-11-2010, 01:45 PM

His effort at the players sponsors night was just sub-par and its not the only time I have seen him at functions not represent the club in the right manner.

I can't comment on functions, but have seen Cooney on TV and seems to handle himself very well.

Mantis
01-11-2010, 01:47 PM

Because besides being our best player, his team-mates respect & listen to his opinion.... and I think how he is viewed by his team-mates is extremely important.

While he probably needs to improve his demeanour at the club functions you mentioned Adam looks to have matured a fair bit over the past 12 to 24 months and I think the capataincy role would be one that would help him become a better player and a better person.

LostDoggy
01-11-2010, 01:53 PM
Where does the perception that Griffen is 'too quiet' come from? He of the infamous 'Richmond gave up' gaffe? Did the fallout from that make him shut up too much?

The guy is class on and off the field, and regardless of whether or not he seems to talk a lot or not, I'm sure that he'll step right up when required and do the job as well as can be expected -- no one really thought Tom Harley was a chatterbox when he was handed the job. Talk is cheap, anyway. Give me a captain that leads/inspires by example anyday.. we see plenty of shots of blowhards yelling at their team in the huddles to gee them up while their teammates' eyes glaze over as they've just had too much of the message/messenger (overstimulated); and these antics rarely works outside of a Hollywood movie in any case.

When a 'quiet' one speaks, at least you know he means what he says.

GVGjr
01-11-2010, 01:54 PM
I can't comment on functions, but have seen Cooney on TV and seems to handle himself very well.

Functions was one of the criteria you listed however, as for his efforts on the TV I agree he does OK but does he really represent the club that well?
Lets not confuse a natural TV comedic presence as being a skill that will always represent the club in the best light.

I understand that he has apparently made some progress with his leadership endeavors, and he needed to, but if he had the same ability as Boyd I doubt many would give Cooney a huge endorsement.

GVGjr
01-11-2010, 02:05 PM
Because besides being our best player, his team-mates respect & listen to his opinion.... and I think how he is viewed by his team-mates is extremely important.

While he probably needs to improve his demeanour at the club functions you mentioned Adam looks to have matured a fair bit over the past 12 to 24 months and I think the capataincy role would be one that would help him become a better player and a better person.

They didn't 12 months back and 6 months improvement doesn't change that much in my opinion. I witnessed on a few occasions the more seniors guys having a quiet word to him.

By the way, I remain to be convinced that he has matured. I was just quoting a view that I heard.

There is no question that he is the best player at the club but I hope there is a lot more to the role than that.

I wonder if we could also apply your view that the captaincy would make some better to Boyd and his defensive efforts.

Mantis
01-11-2010, 02:11 PM
I wonder if we could also apply your view that the captaincy would make some better to Boyd and his defensive efforts.

I believe only a big change of role would improve Boyd in this area.... Unless we make him play a role where he has to be accountable to a man first and foremost I don't think we will see him change his ways.

For Adam I would hope some added responsibility would help him to play with some extra intensity would is something that Boyd doesn't lack.

ledge
01-11-2010, 04:27 PM
In the question of Boyd not being accountable for his opposition number.. is Ablett or Swan accountable for their opposite player?
Some players are not there to worry about the opponent but to get as much ball as they can.
If all players were accountable for the direct opponent there wouldnt be any players going for the ball !

I think we can get to caught up on worrying about the opposition player than letting our own players have freedom and the opposition worrying about our ball getters.
I presume that most teams have maybe one or 2 stoppers in the middle max the rest are hopefully readers of the play.

As for Boyds delivery, maybe its questionable but 90% of those clean ball users are outside players that recieve the ball off blokes like Boyd or Cross who are doing the close in stuff.

Griffen and Cooney are the burst players who seem to struggle with delivery when coming out of the centre, they do all the hard stuff break tackles get free then butcher what seems an easy pass.
I would love to see Griffen as a captain but that is only from seeing him perform on the field, no idea what he is like off it.

LostDoggy
01-11-2010, 05:49 PM
Good to see Boyd putting up his hand for the job, although I can't comment on his ability to motivate and lead the rest of the team. Whilst I like Cooney, I too think he is still a little immature to be the first focal point of our club. Do not doubt his ability or commitment, but he would probably need to leave his "dry" sense of humour somewhere else when appearing as captain. Only met a few of them at the Trainers function earlier this year, and would have to say, Gia impressed me with his ability to chat with me without seeming like I was a bother. Griffen is a great player, but he appeared to find it difficult to chat. Murphy was very open and the conversation flowed easily. Boyd wasn't at the function, so I wasn't able to form an opinion. Dale Morris was also very personable, but I have heard they think he won't be able to do the tough stuff - too much of a nice guy? :o

LostDoggy
01-11-2010, 05:59 PM
In the question of Boyd not being accountable for his opposition number.. is Ablett or Swan accountable for their opposite player?
Some players are not there to worry about the opponent but to get as much ball as they can.
If all players were accountable for the direct opponent there wouldnt be any players going for the ball !

I think we can get to caught up on worrying about the opposition player than letting our own players have freedom and the opposition worrying about our ball getters.
I presume that most teams have maybe one or 2 stoppers in the middle max the rest are hopefully readers of the play.

That's what Mantis and others have been harping on about though -- Boydy doesn't have the skills to be as damaging as Ablett or Swan, regardless of how many disposals he gets, so if Malthouse or Thompson had to choose to let Boydy run free as long as Gazza or Dane also ran free, they would take it any day, because Ablett's 30 possessions will be damaging, while Boydy's 35 won't.

It seems that our coaching staff and Matthew himself now believe that him getting his 30 possessions will cancel out Swan or Ablett's 30, but it's just not true, and he has to get back to limiting his direct opponent (usually our opposition's premier midfielder) rather than engaging in a direct shootout with them, as their elite footskills beat Boydy's workmanlike disposal every day of the week.

It's not like we're talking about Cooney finding the ball 30 times here.

Ghost Dog
01-11-2010, 06:01 PM
I'm not changing my AVATAR yet. It's M.O.R.R.I.S for Captain.
or Barry Hall. Would be great to see Bazza lead the club; what inspirational head locks! kidding.

As for Dale - Doubt his ability to do the tough stuff? He got promoted on his ability to knuckle down. Did the hard yards. Rated highly

Bulldog4life
01-11-2010, 06:21 PM

Totally agree.

Bulldog Revolution
01-11-2010, 06:42 PM
I believe only a big change of role would improve Boyd in this area.... Unless we make him play a role where he has to be accountable to a man first and foremost I don't think we will see him change his ways.

For Adam I would hope some added responsibility would help him to play with some extra intensity would is something that Boyd doesn't lack.

I agree with most of what you are saying here

I think its clear our midfield coaching/strategy and execution fell off the pace in 2011. I dont think either the players nor the coaches can escape responsibility here. The group struggled to find the right balance of attack and defensive accountability. Early in the year we lacked drive and dare, later at times we got sliced up. Improvement here desperately needed.

I would hope Adam could continue to develop his leadership capabilities. I see Vice or Deputy-Vice being the best step in his continued development, knowing that whoever is captain will likely only be so for 2 years when Adam could take over. That said I dont underestimate for a second his leadership or the esteem he is held within the group.

Mantis
01-11-2010, 07:05 PM
I would hope Adam could continue to develop his leadership capabilities. I see Vice or Deputy-Vice being the best step in his continued development, knowing that whoever is captain will likely only be so for 2 years when Adam could take over. That said I dont underestimate for a second his leadership or the esteem he is held within the group.

I think if we wait for 2 to 3 years to promote Adam we would have missed the boat. He is now in his prime in terms of his footy abilities and may not be the same player he is now in a couple of years, but I guess he might be a better leader at this time.

EasternWest
01-11-2010, 09:18 PM
Where does the perception that Griffen is 'too quiet' come from? He of the infamous 'Richmond gave up' gaffe? Did the fallout from that make him shut up too much?

The guy is class on and off the field, and regardless of whether or not he seems to talk a lot or not, I'm sure that he'll step right up when required and do the job as well as can be expected -- no one really thought Tom Harley was a chatterbox when he was handed the job. Talk is cheap, anyway. Give me a captain that leads/inspires by example anyday.. we see plenty of shots of blowhards yelling at their team in the huddles to gee them up while their teammates' eyes glaze over as they've just had too much of the message/messenger (overstimulated); and these antics rarely works outside of a Hollywood movie in any case.

When a 'quiet' one speaks, at least you know he means what he says.

Correct me if I'm wrong (and it's very possible I am), but I thought I heard Griff say somewhere that he doesn't actually want to be captain. Did I hear that or have I got my wires scrambledm (mixed metaphors aside)?

On another note, this is my 1000th post. When can I expect my girl in a cake?

Bulldog Revolution
01-11-2010, 09:51 PM
I think if we wait for 2 to 3 years to promote Adam we would have missed the boat. He is now in his prime in terms of his footy abilities and may not be the same player he is now in a couple of years, but I guess he might be a better leader at this time.

I get that, but I remain unconvinced that it is really the right time now

I'd actually prefer he just focus on producing his absolute best in september

we only have a few guys capable of becoming absolute superstars - cooney is one, but he isn't there yet in terms of having an influence in the big games

Correct me if I'm wrong (and it's very possible I am), but I thought I heard Griff say somewhere that he doesn't actually want to be captain. Did I hear that or have I got my wires scrambledm (mixed metaphors aside)?

On another note, this is my 1000th post. When can I expect my girl in a cake?

I think it was publicly stated that he didn't want to go to the Gold Coast to be the face of the franchise and likes being able to go to the supermarket without being hassled etc

GVGjr normally organises the cake, others the girl

jazzadogs
02-11-2010, 12:20 PM
Am I the only one who feels that Boyd has basically got the job already?

He has been appointed Bulldoze the Debt ambassador, and is on the 2011 Membership Card standing in front of other senior players (Gia, Cooney, Cross and another).

I'd say they're waiting for a pre-season training camp to confirm it with the players, but I reckon it's a sure thing.

AndrewP6
02-11-2010, 07:36 PM
Am I the only one who feels that Boyd has basically got the job already?

He has been appointed Bulldoze the Debt ambassador, and is on the 2011 Membership Card standing in front of other senior players (Gia, Cooney, Cross and another).

I'd say they're waiting for a pre-season training camp to confirm it with the players, but I reckon it's a sure thing.

Nope, I agree with you.

LostDoggy
04-11-2010, 01:33 PM
I know I've said it all before but In my opinion, a midfielder should not have he responibility of being a captain. A captain should be able to see the ground and the play, not necessarily be in the thick of things, Although I wouldn't begrudge Boyd, Coons or Crossy for putting their hand up, I personally believe that a true leader "Directs" his players. johnno was a Master of that. Again I therefore nominate Bob Murhpy or Dale Morris. Not in the thick of things but able to direct as well as act at the appropriate times.
I would not like to see either of Gia & Higgo fighting over a mirror instead of rallying the troops

Topdog
04-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Gia is directing players for pretty much the entire game as it is.