PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldogs president David Smorgon staying on for a flag

GVGjr
09-11-2010, 11:43 PM
http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2010/11/09/1225950/331598-david-smorgon.jpg

WESTERN Bulldogs president David Smorgon has committed for another three years, determined to complete unfinished business.

Smorgon, urged by confidantes and fellow board members to re-nominate, yesterday declared the club is still within striking distance of a premiership.

"The window is wide open in our view," Smorgon said.

"The Bulldog people should have every confidence that we are going to be a contender again.

"We are creating the 'Decade of the Doggies'. We want to create a decade of continued success and that means, of course, we've got to win premierships as well."

Showing no signs of battle fatigue after 14 years in the job and three successive preliminary final losses, Smorgon's re-election as president is now a formality.

There is speculation two newcomers may nominate for board positions before tomorrow's deadline, but Smorgon is untouchable, much like Eddie McGuire at Collingwood.

READ MORE (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-president-david-smorgon-staying-on-for-a-flag/story-e6frf9jf-1225950332723)

bornadog
09-11-2010, 11:48 PM
This is great news for the club. He has been our best ever president.

The Adelaide Connection
10-11-2010, 12:28 AM
Great news.

Quote of the week from this article, when he was talking about how they could put a book out about all that Aker has said and done since he left:

"I reckon we might sell more than 100 books." :D

Sockeye Salmon
10-11-2010, 12:33 AM
There is speculation two newcomers may nominate for board positions before tomorrow's deadline, but Smorgon is untouchable

Damn straight he is.

AndrewP6
10-11-2010, 12:40 AM
To use a Facebook-ism....

"Like"

LostDoggy
10-11-2010, 01:25 AM
There is speculation two newcomers may nominate for board positions before tomorrow's deadline, but Smorgon is untouchable, much like Eddie McGuire at Collingwood.

READ MORE (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-president-david-smorgon-staying-on-for-a-flag/story-e6frf9jf-1225950332723)

I wonder who the 'newcomers' are? :confused:

chef
10-11-2010, 07:36 AM

This^

LostDoggy
10-11-2010, 08:50 AM
Fantastic news - a professional and respected face of our club! He has done a great deal of positive stuff to change the culture and image of the Western Bulldogs and earn the respect of other more "monied" clubs.

The Coon Dog
10-11-2010, 09:00 AM

No newcomers at all.

This statement from Campbell Rose:

Western Bulldogs Chief Executive Campbell Rose has released the following statement regarding nominations for vacant Board positions.

"I wish to inform the Clubs Members that as at close of business today the 3 nominations for exisiting Directors President David Smorgon OAM, Dr Susan Alberti AO and George Pappas have been received, matching the number of vacant positions on the Club's Board."

GVGjr
10-11-2010, 09:12 AM
No newcomers at all.

This statement from Campbell Rose:

Western Bulldogs Chief Executive Campbell Rose has released the following statement regarding nominations for vacant Board positions.

"I wish to inform the Clubs Members that as at close of business today the 3 nominations for exisiting Directors President David Smorgon OAM, Dr Susan Alberti AO and George Pappas have been received, matching the number of vacant positions on the Club's Board."

Those 3 board members have been terrific for us and I think they have the support of vast majority of club members anyway but I don't think its ideal not to have others wanting to get on to our board of directors. New ideas, different approaches and different skill sets can be a good thing.

GVGjr
10-11-2010, 09:19 AM

Whilst Smorgon has been outstanding I don't want to diminish what Peter Gordon did for us.
Gordon did a great job which kept us alive during those dark days where our survival was under significant pressure.
He also stepped aside once he realised he had done everything that he was capable of and that David Smorgon and his team had better plans and vision for the club.

LostDoggy
10-11-2010, 09:30 AM
Those 3 board members have been terrific for us and I think they have the support of vast majority of club members anyway but I don't think its ideal not to have others wanting to get on to our board of directors. New ideas, different approaches and different skill sets can be a good thing.

THe existing Board have different skill sets. There is a wide varation in the skills brought to the table betwen Susan Alberti, George Pappas and say, Barry Hall.

When specific skills are required they have recruited people like Neil O'Keefe who was brought onto the Board to get the Bulldog Hilton over the line and having achieved that, immediately retired.

GVGjr
10-11-2010, 09:38 AM
THe existing Board have different skill sets. There is a wide varation in the skills brought to the table betwen Susan Alberti, George Pappas and say, Barry Hall.

When specific skills are required they have recruited people like Neil O'Keefe who was brought onto the Board to get the Bulldog Hilton over the line and having achieved that, immediately retired.

Its a good approach but I'm of the view that it would be good thing to have other talented people interested in coming onto the board. Perhaps its just a sign that the three were very unlikely to be unseated anyway because of their significant contribution.

LostDoggy
10-11-2010, 10:55 AM
I like what is written on the board behind Smorgo -- that's everything we need to do in a nutshell, the hard part is doing it, but at least no one is under any illusions as to what we should be aiming for.

BulldogBelle
10-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Awesome news, this has made my day! :)

Throughandthrough
10-11-2010, 12:13 PM
Fantastic news!

Now we all have to make a vow to spell his name corectly for 12 months.

NB the Dogs are SO lucky he's a doggies fan.

Desipura
10-11-2010, 12:35 PM
Fantastic news!

Now we all have to make a vow to spell his name corectly for 12 months.

NB the Dogs are SO lucky he's a doggies fan.
As well as spell the word corectly correctly. :D

Bulldog Revolution
10-11-2010, 12:54 PM
Smorgo has been a brilliant president, and I hope he gets his moment in the sun as much as I want it for myself

I guess to address GVG's concerns about new blood that over the next 3 years Smorgo and the board needs to be focusing on bringing on board some other potential presidents

LostDoggy
10-11-2010, 01:31 PM

Ha ha ha ha!! :D

I read in Johnno's book that as a kid David was originally looking at barracking for Richmond, but his first experience at a Tigers game wasn't pleasant (he was hit with an umbrella). Maybe we should all thank that umbrella wielding person!! ;)

Throughandthrough
10-11-2010, 04:19 PM

i'm great at spelling, but my typing is rubbish. :D

Sedat
10-11-2010, 04:56 PM
Not sure if we have a succession plan in place for the presidency, but the one person I would love to see in this role for the club at some point in the future is Chris Grant. The respect he commands on and off the field, his strong business acumen, his love and loyalty for the club, I could not think of a better future president of our club when Smorgo decides to call it a day.

Nuggety Back Pocket
10-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Its a good approach but I'm of the view that it would be good thing to have other talented people interested in coming onto the board. Perhaps its just a sign that the three were very unlikely to be unseated anyway because of their significant contribution.

The Board still lacks people with football smarts. Our CEO, Campbell Rose has done a great job but doesn't have a football background. The football department has operated on a shoestring budget for far too long and there is an urgent requirement to beef this vital area up.I personally would sacrifice a George Pappas type if a football/business type would put his hand up. Steve Wallis would be an ideal candidate.

BulldogBelle
10-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Great news!!!

We certainly do have unfinished business... ;-)

Succession planning for Smorgon's eventual retirement needs to be looked at.

Of our current board members, who does the forum think would be capable and successful in the Club President role in the future???

comrade
10-11-2010, 09:02 PM
I like what is written on the board behind Smorgo -- that's everything we need to do in a nutshell, the hard part is doing it, but at least no one is under any illusions as to what we should be aiming for.

I agree. The administration's priority must be football first, business stability a very close second.

Hopefully this leads to increased spending on the football department, with a list manager being the first investment.

LostDoggy
10-11-2010, 09:33 PM
Great news!

Have to laugh at the comments on the HS website, some people are just silly.

LostDoggy
10-11-2010, 11:13 PM
Great news!!!

We certainly do have unfinished business... ;-)

Succession planning for Smorgon's eventual retirement needs to be looked at.

Of our current board members, who does the forum think would be capable and successful in the Club President role in the future???
Sue Alberti without a doubt.

LostDoggy
11-11-2010, 06:00 PM
Ha ha ha ha!! :D

I read in Johnno's book that as a kid David was originally looking at barracking for Richmond, but his first experience at a Tigers game wasn't pleasant (he was hit with an umbrella). Maybe we should all thank that umbrella wielding person!! ;)

More to thank Richmond for? They need to stop doing us so many favors.

LostDoggy
13-11-2010, 09:21 AM
Sue Alberti without a doubt.

I'd certainly be proud to second this if it ever became a motion.

LostDoggy
13-11-2010, 12:53 PM

Probably You & Me ;)

LostDoggy
15-11-2010, 11:28 PM
Probably You & Me ;)

No, couldn't be. I'm Alberti til I'm shirty. Maybe the Beard and the Furphys were thinking of running on a follicle platform for change? ;)

LostDoggy
15-11-2010, 11:32 PM
I can assure you the Mohawk was not involved! :D

immortalmike
16-11-2010, 03:14 AM
Not to be a wet blanket, and especially considering I find this news to be quite good as in my opinion (and apart from the name/jumper change) I feel Smorgo has been our best ever president. But how many times am I going to have to read that headline, "Smorgon stays for a flag'. The ugly truth is that in the 14 years he's been president he's promised one thing above all and that is a premiership and obviously it has not happened. I'm starting to get a little sick of promises and empty words to be honest I'd rather not hear it every three years.

On a related note does this make Smorgon the longest serving current president without a premiership? If so, is it a good sign (i.e., good club stability) or a bad sign (i.e., accepting mediocrity) that David has never had to face a challenge to his presidency in the form of an election? I lean more toward the former 'club stability' line of thinking but I can also see how someone could come to the latter conclusion.

Remi Moses
16-11-2010, 04:43 AM
Interesting comparison Smorgon and Gordon,I think they both faced different AFL thinking.
Gordon had a hostile AFL/VFL hierarchy,whereas Smorgon has dealt with a less hostile environment.Both been wonderful for our football club.

LostDoggy
16-11-2010, 04:23 PM
At this time of the year in our football lives, we need to show our support to David Smorgon. David continues to give of himself to our club day in and day out. He has given our Club the stability that we so desperately needed. I think it would be a good idea if as many of the WB supporters turned up at the AGM and showed their support to OUR great Football Club the Western Bulldogs. I am sure the WB directors would also appreciate a vote of support as they too work incredibly hard for the WB.
________
Toys anal (http://www.****tube.com/categories/1086/anal/videos/1)

Sockeye Salmon
16-11-2010, 04:36 PM
At this time of the year in our football lives, we need to show our support to David Smorgon. David continues to give of himself to our club day in and day out. He has given our Club the stability that we so desperately needed. I think it would be a good idea if as many of the WB supporters turned up at the AGM and showed their support to OUR great Football Club the Western Bulldogs. I am sure the WB directors would also appreciate a vote of support as they too work incredibly hard for the WB.

Susie, do you know if Sue Alberti would be interested in the top job in 3 years if Smorgo gives it away?

LostDoggy
16-11-2010, 05:26 PM
I think you would need to ask her yourself. All the Directors of the WB are very capable leaders. What is important for all of us is complete unity as we strive for the "ultimate prize"!! Get to know the Board of Directors, ask questions, seek answers, the Board are there to serve the Club and its members. After all, they too love the club just as much as the members of WOOF.
________
Jaguar R3 History (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Jaguar_R3)

ledge
16-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Susie, do you know if Sue Alberti would be interested in the top job in 3 years if Smorgo gives it away?

Susan certainly has enough experience being on the board for a while now.
Biggest question that cant be answered now is in 3 years time where the club will be and who might be the people putting their hand up?
Richard Branson anyone??:D