PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs delist Hahn

The Coon Dog
10-11-2010, 01:01 PM
Jennifer Witham - ALF Website - 10/11

WESTERN Bulldogs forward Mitch Hahn has officially been delisted and will need to enter either the NAB AFL Draft or the NAB AFL Pre-season Draft to continue his AFL career.

The 29-year-old has been cut by the Dogs after 181 senior games since his debut in 2000.

He played 19 games this year, including the club's three finals, but was not as significant in attack with just 15 goals. He also spent time in defence this year with the addition of Barry Hall.

Article in full... (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/105022/default.aspx)

Sedat
10-11-2010, 01:14 PM
Quick off the mark as per usual TCD.

Sensible decision in the end - thanks to Mitch for giving his all for the club. An unfortunate ACL injury in the prime of his career really robbed him of the chance to build on a sensational start to his 2006 season, and probably cut short his effectiveness in the modern game by a year or two.

LostDoggy
10-11-2010, 01:25 PM
Just heard on SEN. If he wants to play in hope someone picks him up on the draft

OLD SCRAGGer
10-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Sad day indeed. People can be hypocritical, one minute they are saying the games past him by & now they are saying Hope he get's picked up by someone. Gunna miss ya Mitchy!!

Desipura
10-11-2010, 01:31 PM
Sad day indeed. People can be hypocritical, one minute they are saying the games past him by & now they are saying Hope he get's picked up by someone. Gunna miss ya Mitchy!!

Whether you agree or not, the game has passed him by.

divvydan
10-11-2010, 01:45 PM
Also confirmation of Tiller leaving in that article as well.

LostDoggy
10-11-2010, 02:09 PM
Whether you agree or not, the game has passed him by.

I dont see why he cant fill a role at GC or GWS for a year or two where experience will be at a premium.

LostDoggy
10-11-2010, 02:44 PM
Quick off the mark as per usual TCD.

Sensible decision in the end - thanks to Mitch for giving his all for the club. An unfortunate ACL injury in the prime of his career really robbed him of the chance to build on a sensational start to his 2006 season, and probably cut short his effectiveness in the modern game by a year or two.

Forgot about this -- very good point Sedat. ACLs are so hard to come back from, especially when you haven't been blessed with pace to begin with...

The Bulldogs Bite
10-11-2010, 03:46 PM
It's the right decision.

Happy with the way the club is going. We're making good decisions.

Bulldog Revolution
10-11-2010, 03:58 PM
It's the right decision.

Yes, after chopping Aker midseason we've made good personel decisions but are still suffering from a few foolish ones the year before; markovic and mulligan

GVGjr
10-11-2010, 04:01 PM
It's the right decision.

Did the lack of salary cap space make the decision for us?

ledge
10-11-2010, 04:01 PM
Also confirmation of Tiller leaving in that article as well.

Yep already back living in Adelaide.

Cyberdoggie
10-11-2010, 04:28 PM
Did the lack of salary cap space make the decision for us?

It certainly helped IMO.

If we had plenty of space and money he'd be retained for sure.

GVGjr
10-11-2010, 04:33 PM
It certainly helped IMO.

If we had plenty of space and money he'd be retained for sure.

Its why I don't believe the club should be praised for delisting him. I think they just ran out of options but it appears that the intent was there to keep him if possible.

strebla
10-11-2010, 04:54 PM
Whatever reason we had it doesn't matter I believe it was the right call but am still a bit sad to see the big fella go

Sedat
10-11-2010, 05:00 PM
Its why I don't believe the club should be praised for delisting him. I think they just ran out of options but it appears that the intent was there to keep him if possible.
Don't disagree with the logic, but the same salary cap pressures existed 12 months ago and we still found a way to retain both Akermanis and Eagleton (to our detriment in both cases). At least this time around we decided to make a clean break when encountered with the same salary cap pressure.

With no Johnson, Akermanis and Hahn on our list, there are opportunities galore for our emerging talent and new recruits to make these positions their own.

Desipura
10-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Don't disagree with the logic, but the same salary cap pressures existed 12 months ago and we still found a way to retain both Akermanis and Eagleton (to our detriment in both cases). At least this time around we decided to make a clean break when encountered with the same salary cap pressure.

With no Johnson, Akermanis and Hahn on our list, there are opportunities galore for our emerging talent and new recruits to make these positions their own.

The bolded bit may be the reason why Hahn is no longer on our list.

Cyberdoggie
10-11-2010, 05:23 PM

Otherwise it would of been done ages ago and wouldn't of been drawn out for the last 6 weeks until the day of the final deadline.

Ozza
10-11-2010, 05:44 PM
The right decision. Bit sad, but was definitely the right move.

As a fellow #8....I look forward with interest to seeing who takes over his number.

LostDoggy
10-11-2010, 06:15 PM
I'll miss you Mitch. :( Good luck with your future. :)

AndrewP6
10-11-2010, 09:43 PM
The right decision. Bit sad, but was definitely the right move.

I'll miss you Mitch. :( Good luck with your future. :)

These two posts sum my thoughts up. All the best Mitch (OK, I just had to add my own bit!:) )

Ghost Dog
11-11-2010, 12:26 AM
For Mitch.

It takes a certain type of player
not the one who poses grinning,
preeening follicles for lenses,
plays well, when only winning

It takes a certain type of method
to split a pack bare handed
to bullock 'till fourth quarter
a plodding workhorse kind of standard

It takes a certain type of spirit
to carry losing on your collar bones
to have it hung upon your shoulders
grit your teeth, and push right through it

A quiet admiration,
for a certain type of player,
with a certain type of method,
And a truely dogged spirit.

AndrewP6
11-11-2010, 12:47 AM
For Mitch.

not the one who poses grinning
or preens his follicles for lenses
plays well when only winning

a plodding, workhorse kind of standard

grit your teeth and push right through it

A quiet admiration
for a certain type of player
with a certain type of method

Excellent, Ghost Dog. Terrific stuff.

EasternWest
11-11-2010, 12:36 PM
For Mitch.

A quiet admiration,

Ha! Love it!

LostDoggy
11-11-2010, 12:44 PM
It is a pity that some players are remembered for the final part of their career rather than the career as a whole. I fear this maybe the case with Mitch.

Mitch Hahn was a very good player for the club for a number of years and was the envy of many opposition supporters.

A number of years ago, a former AFL coach said to me that given an opportunity of picking one Western Bulldogs player, he would pick Hahn first. High praise indeed.

For me, I will remember him for the first attribute that most supporters look for - hardness at the contest................................and for smashing Mc Mahon the first time he played against the Dogs. Could there be two players more apart?

Ghost Dog
11-11-2010, 04:43 PM
It is a pity that some players are remembered for the final part of their career rather than the career as a whole. I fear this maybe the case with Mitch.

Mitch Hahn was a very good player for the club for a number of years and was the envy of many opposition supporters.

A number of years ago, a former AFL coach said to me that given an opportunity of picking one Western Bulldogs player, he would pick Hahn first. High praise indeed.

For me, I will remember him for the first attribute that most supporters look for - hardness at the contest................................and for smashing Mc Mahon the first time he played against the Dogs. Could there be two players more apart?

Interesting. All the best Mitch.

azabob
11-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Mitch Hahn would've been a coaches dream and most likely one of the first picked each week.

Hard at the ball and man and also gave 100% all the time.

As we all suspected injuries and the speed of the game have caught up with him.

For me it is sad for him to finish his career with us but on the flip side I'm glad he wont be playing for us in 2011 he doesn't deserve to end his playing days at Williamstown.

LostDoggy
12-11-2010, 07:12 PM
Thanks for all the memories Tractor and I wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

Every AFL team needs a Mitch Hahn.

LostDoggy
13-11-2010, 09:11 AM
For Mitch.

A quiet admiration,

Top effort, GD. Simply superlative syntax. :D
Thanks for all your efforts, Mitch.
I happen to know where Mitch gets his pizzas/pasta from and his next order is on me. (but no olives, I flatly refuse to pay for olives)

LostDoggy
16-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Top effort, GD. Simply superlative syntax. :D
Thanks for all your efforts, Mitch.
I happen to know where Mitch gets his pizzas/pasta from and his next order is on me. (but no olives, I flatly refuse to pay for olives)

How about anchovies? :)

ratsmac
22-11-2010, 09:16 PM
Don't know if this question has been asked, but can Mitch be picked by us as a mature aged rookie? If he can I still think he can fill a hole if baz gets injured.

The Coon Dog
22-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Don't know if this question has been asked, but can Mitch be picked by us as a mature aged rookie? If he can I still think he can fill a hole if baz gets injured.

Yes he can.

azabob
22-11-2010, 09:34 PM

Apparently they are looking at drafting him as a rookie and also look for him to perform a coaching role of sorts.