PDA

View Full Version : Wearing the old man's number

Twodogs
11-11-2010, 01:35 PM
what about young Wallis. For some reason I can see him wearing the number 8 with class...

But he'll look even better in 24, much as young Libba will in 39

These posts came from this thread;

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=8586

and they got me thinking. If you had a dad who was a superstar, would you want to wear his old number?

I wouldnt. I reckon it's hard enough carrying the name of an ex-great of the club without all the extra expectation of wearing his number as well.

Mofra
11-11-2010, 01:44 PM
I think most of the kids that come into the system are cocky enough to want it, regardless of pressure.

If I grew up idolising my dad as a Bulldogs player, as a 17/18 year old I'm still really a kid so I'd probably love the chance to be "just like dad".

BornInDroopSt'54
11-11-2010, 06:24 PM
I would, if it was my dad's; proud family thing, even if I doubted I could be as good; but not if it was my older brother's. I'd want my own then, unless he was dead, killed in Vietnam or even by a virus.

AndrewP6
11-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Another sport, and not quite the same level, but when I started in the National Wheelchair Basketball League, I wanted to have my dad's footy number (21)... it was taken :(

LostDoggy
12-11-2010, 08:50 AM
Yes, I can understand why someone would want their Dad's number, but I wonder just how much pressure it puts on them? Not all sons are guns - take EJ and his son Ted Jnr who was a good footballer but certainly not of the calibre of his Dad. I wonder how much pressure it put on him to wear the No. 3? Sure he would have been proud to have it. Obviously there are always going to be comparisons (perhaps unfairly) but does wearing the same number put even more pressure? :confused:

LostDoggy
12-11-2010, 09:07 AM
Tom Liberatore should be really starting with 60

LostDoggy
12-11-2010, 10:27 AM
Their very existence at the club is due to the father-son rule (in that they would've gone somewhere else otherwise). So giving them their father's numbers may add a bit of additional pressure, sure, but it's gotta be negligible compared to what they're already dealing with.

I'm sure at some point, both Steve and Tony have sat their respective fellas down and had a good chat. The club would be all over it too.

For mine, if my father played for the Bulldogs, if I grew up loving the club, I'd be honoured to wear his number. I'd already be wearing his name, and that's far more important and remembered more than the number, especially from outside the club.

Twodogs
12-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Tom Liberatore should be really starting with 60

Heh! Good point.

bornadog
12-11-2010, 01:01 PM
What if your dad was the Great EJ;) If it was me, no, which is what teddy junior said.

Twodogs
12-11-2010, 01:17 PM
I wonder what the breakdown is of players who have accepted their dad's number and who went with another?

Think of the most recent successful F/Ss

Ablett(s), nope
Silvagni, no idea
Fletcher, no idea
Scarlett, no idea.

bornadog
12-11-2010, 03:11 PM
I wonder what the breakdown is of players who have accepted their dad's number and who went with another?

Think of the most recent successful F/Ss

Ablett(s), nope
Silvagni, no idea
Fletcher, no idea
Scarlett, no idea.

Silvagni - junior 1, Senior ?
Fletcher - Ken 21, Dustin 31
Scarletts, 30

BulldogBelle
12-11-2010, 04:31 PM
I think we should give sons of club greats the option. They have selected the Bulldogs over the draft lottery and in some ways by giving them the option to wear their old mans number its a sign of mutual respect for choosing us.

#18 and #10 (Beasley and Hunter) may be up for grabs soon

At this stage I doubt Brennan Stack is going to be around when young Beasley comes into the picture

Sockeye Salmon
12-11-2010, 05:20 PM
Silvagni - junior 1, Senior ?

Serge 1

Mofra
14-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Richo wore no 12 like his old man.

Twodogs
14-11-2010, 01:59 PM
Ayce Cordy has #49 for us, doesnt he? The same as Brian.

Derg McDergs
14-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Wallis will get number 3, Libba 29

The Underdog
15-11-2010, 10:53 AM
Ayce Cordy has #49 for us, doesnt he? The same as Brian.

Correct.
The main reason I mentioned Wallis looking good in 24 on the other thread is that it has been fairly obvious since the number allocations last year that 24 and 39 were being kept aside for the boys. Whether they were consulted initially I don't know, but I think given that both seem to have strong relationship's with their old men they would probably have chosen to go down that path. I think Ablett was the obvious one who chose not to go with his old man's number but following in the footsteps of "God" in a small town like Geelong is probably enough to bear without wearing his number. Following in the steps of "Wally" in the western suburbs has pressure for sure but not at the level where what number you wear is going to matter, I wouldn't think.