PDA

View Full Version : Puopolo tours Whitten Oval

Throughandthrough
12-11-2010, 10:16 AM
WHITTEN Oval is firming as a possible new home for Paul Puopolo after the Western Bulldogs flew the dashing Norwood defender to Melbourne for a medical today.

Puopolo, 23 and 175cm, looms as a potential like-for-like replacement for Jarrod Harbrow, who signed with the Gold Coast Suns in September.

The Bulldogs made contact with the Redlegs' mature-age prospect, who is coming off a breakout season, earlier this year.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/puopolo-tours-whitten-oval/story-fn525un5-1225952241775

Bulldog Joe
12-11-2010, 10:28 AM
If he is as good as some seem to think, how can he still be available when we get a pick?

LostDoggy
12-11-2010, 11:03 AM
True Joe. Anyone that plays SANFL is good.

Throughandthrough
12-11-2010, 11:16 AM
yeah, you're correct. Every single player that has ever been on a VFL/AFL list is somehow magically better then every single player that has only ever been on an SANFL/WAFL/NTFL/QAFL/NSWFL list. How silly of me not to realise this years ago.

Mofra
12-11-2010, 11:18 AM
We're not the only club interested by all accounts so he may not be available.
There have been posters (on another site that shall go unnamed) that rate a few late 20s prospects in the SANFL as better players.

LostDoggy
12-11-2010, 11:42 AM
If he is as good as some seem to think, how can he still be available when we get a pick?

The article is full of porkies -- Puopolo has obviously been told to not blab all over the papers so he's playing it coy so as to not push up his price too much, but if it comes down to it, I'm sure that we'll get him to quasi-nominate us as his preferred club (if he wants to), and teams these days are a bit loathe to get players who have indicated that they don't really want to come to your club, so they'll leave him alone-ish. We can also cash in some of the goodwill* we have with clubs around our pick to get him to come through to us -- it's not like he's a no.1 pick or the next coming of God or anything that clubs would give their eyeteeth for.

* This is why the Bombers will be stuck at the bottom for another 10 years.. the bridges burnt and the classlessness with which they've conducted themselves in the name of having the right to because they are a 'big club' would not have gone down well with any of the other 16 clubs, so good luck finding any goodwill come tradeweek etc. they'll be screwed over in every trade for the next 5 years a la Hawthorn, and with a list as shit as theirs, a coach with zero experience, and Thomson being a bigger problem than help with the internal politics and ego (which assistant coach just 'shows up' to a training session and tells the head coach how it is?), they better believe that they'll be stuck for a while.

Throughandthrough
12-11-2010, 11:51 AM
We're not the only club interested by all accounts so he may not be available.
There have been posters (on another site that shall go unnamed) that rate a few late 20s prospects in the SANFL as better players.

To save me wasting time, which players?

Ian Callinan presumably is one.

Cyberdoggie
12-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Would we have any room to move on any of these mature listed players?

We didn't have enough to keep Hahn, even though it seems we wanted to. Granted he would of wanted a lot more than a mature age rookie, however I believe we have 5 picks, 2 are for Wallis and Libba, the other 3 picks are 1 in the 70's, and 2 in the 90's.

I think there will be very little chance in a shallow draft and with a recent trend of successfull mature age rookies that we will get a player that anyone has heard of or rates.

Are we really a chance of getting Puopolo?

Especially now that everyone knows we might be after him, he may not last long.

Mofra
12-11-2010, 12:48 PM
To save me wasting time, which players?

Ian Callinan presumably is one.
I suspect most of the info is parroted from this article you may have seen: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/who-is-the-sanfls-no-1-player/story-e6freckc-1225938224147

You nailed selction no 1

bulldogsman
12-11-2010, 12:50 PM
Is Puopolo any good anyone who has seen him? Do you think he can make the step up to AFL level?

Bulldog Joe
12-11-2010, 02:15 PM
I suspect most of the info is parroted from this article you may have seen: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/who-is-the-sanfls-no-1-player/story-e6freckc-1225938224147

You nailed selction no 1

Interesting list with some ex AFL listed players getting strong mentions including ex Bulldog Keiran McGuiness at 11. Guy O'Keefe also mentioned in the write up.

Also highlights that strong State League form is not necessarily an indicator of AFL success.

Mofra
12-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Interesting list with some ex AFL listed players getting strong mentions including ex Bulldog Keiran McGuiness at 11. Guy O'Keefe also mentioned in the write up.

Also highlights that strong State League form is not necessarily an indicator of AFL success.
Someone a while back mentioned that guys who play AFL, go back to a state league, then play AFL again break down more often than not. Don;t think it's an issue for guys who haven't been on an AFL list.

Puopolo seems young enough to avoid such issues. We have done well from VFL guys previously (heck, VFL Franga seconds in Boyd's case) and for pick 75 I wouldn't mind a punt on a mature type playing a state league.

LostDoggy
12-11-2010, 02:32 PM

Don't say that.

LostDoggy
12-11-2010, 02:35 PM
Whether or not we are interested in Puopulo I don't know but why we would target a 23yo to play back pocket seems a little strange.
Even if we want him with the picks we have available its hardily news worthy.

Axe Man
12-11-2010, 03:33 PM
For what it's worth my soon to be father in-law is a Norwood supporter and he doesn't think Puopolo is up to AFL standard.

Sedat
12-11-2010, 03:52 PM
For what it's worth my soon to be father in-law is a Norwood supporter and he doesn't think Puopolo is up to AFL standard.
I have no idea whatsoever if Puopolo is any good but I sincerely hope that our pursuit of a mature age 23yo is for the purpose of actually coming straight into the senior team and performing the role vacated by Harbrow, and that he's not being considered for depth purposes only. I'm all for U-18's to be drafted and to ply their trade at the lower levels but I don't particularly want to see a repeat of the Markovic situation.

LostDoggy
12-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Is Puopolo any good anyone who has seen him? Do you think he can make the step up to AFL level?

I saw him in the SANFL grand final and while Callinan was the best player on the day(consistent grit and high skills), Puopolo looked to be a class above anyone else on the field, at times it looked as though the rest of the players were in slow motion, he has an abundance of poise at that level, and I am a centrals supporter. AFL is a different level of pressure of course.

Interestingly, Callinan has been called up to train with the cows.

Chops, if your so disenchanted with this thread then why are you posting?

Cyberdoggie
12-11-2010, 05:17 PM
I have no idea whatsoever if Puopolo is any good but I sincerely hope that our pursuit of a mature age 23yo is for the purpose of actually coming straight into the senior team and performing the role vacated by Harbrow, and that he's not being considered for depth purposes only. I'm all for U-18's to be drafted and to ply their trade at the lower levels but I don't particularly want to see a repeat of the Markovic situation.

I think it's purely backup for Harbrow's spot. More so describing what sort of role he would be targetted for, and not that he would slot straight in, but you never know.

We also picked up Djekurra who might play in that role as well.

chef
12-11-2010, 05:33 PM
Someone a while back mentioned that guys who play AFL, go back to a state league, then play AFL again break down more often than not. Don;t think it's an issue for guys who haven't been on an AFL list.

Puopolo seems young enough to avoid such issues. We have done well from VFL guys previously (heck, VFL Franga seconds in Boyd's case) and for pick 75 I wouldn't mind a punt on a mature type playing a state league.

Me too, he seems like a good replacement for Harbrow.

LostDoggy
13-11-2010, 09:00 AM
I'm fairly certain I saw Puopolo and some other bloke at Whitten Oval on Thursday. They were doing some run-throughs, bit of kick-to-kick and some shots at goal. Handy shot at goal as he did't miss many.

GVGjr
13-11-2010, 11:22 AM

Just on the Markovic recruitment. He ticked a lot of the boxes we were looking for so I can understand why we went for him
He was a good height and weight for a back-up key defender plus his skill level is OK and he wouldn't have cost us much more than just a spot on the list but I suppose we might have chanced things and gone for a rookie spot. Really the only knock on him has been his pace.

As for Puopolo, the concerns will be his height because it will limit the positions he might be able to play and if his skills and pace can be effective in the AFL.

My preference would be to go with a youngster but I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if we selected him.

LostDoggy
13-11-2010, 12:42 PM

For what it's worth, a Norwood supporter isn't up to AFL standard ;) :D

mighty_west
13-11-2010, 01:02 PM
Whether or not we are interested in Puopulo I don't know but why we would target a 23yo to play back pocket seems a little strange.
Even if we want him with the picks we have available its hardily news worthy.

Why would it be strange?, and off course it's newsworthy, with the success over the years of state league players not only breaking into AFL; but playing vital roles [Pods, Barlow etc], plus it was written in a paper that only has 2 AFL sides.

Besides, you have posted a few times in this thread, you must think it's newsworthy as such......:p

Mofra
13-11-2010, 01:54 PM
I'm fairly certain I saw Puopolo and some other bloke at Whitten Oval on Thursday. They were doing some run-throughs, bit of kick-to-kick and some shots at goal. Handy shot at goal as he did't miss many.
Did the other bloke look like someone who we would consider drafting, or was it more of a manager type?

Would be an interesting exercise to get the Woof spy network out there to find out who it was.

LostDoggy
13-11-2010, 06:51 PM
Why would it be strange?, and off course it's newsworthy, with the success over the years of state league players not only breaking into AFL; but playing vital roles [Pods, Barlow etc], plus it was written in a paper that only has 2 AFL sides.

Besides, you have posted a few times in this thread, you must think it's newsworthy as such......:p

State leagues? I know of a few vfl older aged players making it. Not sure about the success rate of other states. I also know a number of state level players that don't make it.

You must be mistaken too, this article mainly about the player and not the western bulldogs. ATM it's pure speculation whether he comes to us. How would the local rag in Adelaide know what the full story is in regard to our recruitment policy this draft?

The article is written like he is the next star bp for the bulldogs when it's really about pumping up the individuals tyres.

LostDoggy
14-11-2010, 01:01 AM
Did the other bloke look like someone who we would consider drafting, or was it more of a manager type?

Would be an interesting exercise to get the Woof spy network out there to find out who it was.

No, definitely player, don't know who but I worked out one was Puopolo after checking pic online.

chef
14-11-2010, 07:34 AM
Was the other guy big or small?

LostDoggy
14-11-2010, 09:22 AM

185cm, 85kg, short cropped dark brown hair with no facial follicles. Natural right footer with an average set of hands. From what I can recall, anyway.

Throughandthrough
14-11-2010, 10:43 PM
hell, it may be jordan ,acmahon reading that.

LostDoggy
15-11-2010, 05:57 PM
He can play a bit and is quick but he is short like Tutt although stronger in the body.

Mitcha
15-11-2010, 08:00 PM
Has a bit of Adam Contessa about him.

LostDoggy
15-11-2010, 11:21 PM

Had a thought that the other guy might be trying out as well.
So spent a bit of time looking through other possible rookies profile pics and still can't place the other guy. :confused::o

Throughandthrough
16-11-2010, 10:06 AM
Has a bit of Adam Contessa about him.

Oh no.

Scraggers
17-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Puopolo is being touted as our first live pick in the AFL draft predictor.

LostDoggy
19-11-2010, 10:58 AM
So anyone else feel like Hawthorn snuck this in partially to piss us off? Really? Six spots before us and they snap up the guy everyone had touted as our first live pick?

Good on Puopolo for being picked up at AFL level, but I feel sorry that he has to work with the likes of Clarkson and his recruiting team (can't even bring myself to name the idiots), and hang out with three strike drug cheats running around their forwardline, and play in a shit team with no culture going backwards after their premiership a la West Coast.

Murphy'sLore
19-11-2010, 11:02 AM
So anyone else feel like Hawthorn snuck this in partially to piss us off? Really? Six spots before us and they snap up the guy everyone had touted as our first live pick?

Good on Puopolo for being picked up at AFL level, but I feel sorry that he has to work with the likes of Clarkson and his recruiting team (can't even bring myself to name the idiots), and hang out with three strike drug cheats running around their forwardline, and play in a shit team with no culture going backwards after their premiership a la West Coast.

Can't help feeling there was an element of spite involved! (irrational as that may be)

Doc26
19-11-2010, 11:31 AM

Didn't pick up on the Hawthorn factor at the time but something was telling me I would hear his name called out a few picks shy of our first live selection. Fortunately in this game there tends to be opportunity for the shoe to be placed on the other foot where we can return the favour in kind although with Hawthorn I'd say we have a fair bit of catching up to do after the Rawlings / Veale deal.

Desipura
19-11-2010, 11:41 AM

Sotty Lantern I just read your post, I thought the exact same thing about Puopolo.

Bulldog Joe
19-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Well obviously we touted Puopolo so that they would leave Schofield for us.

LostDoggy
19-11-2010, 11:59 AM

And now he has to wear poos & wees. :D

Jasper
19-11-2010, 12:03 PM

Seriously, who cares.
If Hawthorn's draft strategy is based on revenge against other clubs they're going nowhere.
We're talking about a guy drafted in the 70's.
They're a raffle anyway.

LostDoggy
19-11-2010, 12:03 PM
well obviously we touted puopolo so that they would leave schofield for us.

*zing!*

Mofra
19-11-2010, 02:33 PM
I doubt it, but if they did they are idiots. Taking a player in the draft just out of spite would be a very silly decision.

LostDoggy
19-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Sotty Lantern I just read your post, I thought the exact same thing about Puopolo.

Yes, as soon as i saw the piss & poo a few picks before us it dawned. Also when i saw Clarkson interviewed afterward on Fox it made brought upon rage! Was he in that black British comedy a few years ago where everyone wants to know who the dwarf is?

Little people are the devils work.